Jun 17 2010

All Pro Dad - Mark Merrill

Mark Merrill, founder of Family First and All Pro Dad - a ministry geared to help men be better fathers, joined us this morning.  Mark shared these tips ...

10 Ways to know you are being a good father:

1. When your calendar is full of things to do with your children

2. When you admit when you are wrong and ask your children to forgive you

3. When you take an interest in their friends and know their names

4. When you eat together with your children

5. When you take an interest in what they enjoy doing

6. When you show affection to your wife in front of them

7. When you advocate that they speak to you and each other respectfully

8. When your son or daughter comes running to you when they get hurt

9. When you calmly and gently discipline your children without yelling or screaming

10. When you tuck your children into bed at night and tell them “I love you”

Some cool ideas for Father's Day gifts (courtesy of All Pro Dad's partner site iMom)

What do Dads really want for Father's Day?  Well, even more than the dream gifts like boats, cars, and iPhones, they really want their children's love.

To help your children convey their feelings, video them saying why they love their dad; here's a sample video, to give you some ideas.   If you prefer lower tech options, have your kids write out their top 10 reasons here, then present them creatively,
like this.

6/17/2010 5:54:45 AM
HEATHER SMITH United States
HEATHER SMITH
I WORK FOR SANTA ROSA COUNTY TAX COLLECTORS OFFICE. WE ARE DOING A BLITZ FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE FOR THE FAMILY FIRST ORGANIZATION.
FLORIDA HAS A FAMILY FIRST TAG THAT YOU CAN BUY FOR YOUR CAR AND RIGHT NOW WE ARE TAKING 1.00 DONATIONS FOR FAMILY FIRST. WE ARE ADVERTISING THE WEBSITES AND COACH TONY DUNGY'S BOOKS. WHEN YOU DONATE A 1.00 YOUR NAME GOES INTO A DRAWING FOR A SIGNED FOOTBALL BY COACH DUNGY.
FAMILY FIRST IS A GREAT ORGANIZATION, THE EMAIL ARE, LIKE YOU SAID, RIGHT ON.
HAVE A BLESSED DAY GUYS
LOVE YOU AND KLOVE
HEATHER SMITH
6/17/2010 5:55:55 AM
HEATHER SMITH
HEATHER SMITH
REGARDING MY FIRST COMMENT I WORK FOR THE TAX COLLECTORS OFFICE IN SANTA ROSA COUNTY, FLORIDA!!!!!
6/17/2010 6:21:09 AM
Bill United States
Bill
I received the best Father’s Day gift of all time:  A picture album of the kids from birth to current age.  This is very significant because my first wife and I divorced when the kids where 12 and 8 and my work took me to another state.  I missed out on a lot because I was physically not present.  My daughter asked me some time ago if I had any pictures and I told her that her mother had all the pictures and I thought nothing more about the topic.  The pictures meant more to me then I can describe.  When I got the gift, my daughter called and we talked for hours about the past and how we feel.  God surely works on ways for reconciliation to happen and it did.  So for you adult children out there who have lived though a divorce and you are wondering what to do for Father’s Day, create an anthology (letters or pictures) and give it to your dad and then let God do the rest.
6/17/2010 7:45:45 AM
Frank Norris United States
Frank Norris
Regarding the above list by Mark Merrill I'd like to comment on one of my favorite father moments.  We have the tradition in our house of spending a few minutes with each of our children in the morning.  This is our snuggle time.  Now that summer is here and the kids are sleeping in, when I get home in the evening they remind me that we have not had our snuggle time for the day.  What a blessing!

Frank - Conway, Arkansas
6/17/2010 8:38:28 AM
Jim United States
Jim
Back in 2000, I received an engraved plaque that said how proud my two children were of me for sticking by my wife during her battle with breast cancer. How I had cared for her, prayed for her, and nursed her back to strength after an exhausting treatment process.
6/17/2010 8:38:31 AM
Sam United States
Sam
Lisa, I think you are the best ... but this mornings "WHO IS WARREN BUFFET ????" was not cool Smile