Healthy on a budget, save time and money!!
By Nutritionist, Chef and Author of Skinny Chicks Don’t Eat Salads, Christine Avanti
1) Lentils are around 99 Cents per pound and they are an excellent source of protein and low sugar carbohydrate. Use them in salads, soups and even pastas!
2) Roast that chicken people! It is far less expensive to purchase a whole chicken than to buy chicken breasts, thighs, legs and wings separately. If you roast a chicken on a Sunday evening, you can use the leftover meat for sandwiches, soups, salads, pastas during your busy work week.
3) Bananas are consistently the least expensive fruit to purchase. Usually around 99 cents a pound. Pack them in lunches; use them to make yogurt parfaits, smoothies, and even salads. When they begin to turn brown, use them to make Christine’s healthy banana bread!!
4) Replace soda & juice with water and save, save, save!!
5) Replace packaged foods with fresh produce from your local farmers market. Many growers offer specials on crops that have grown in abundance. Example, this winter I purchased 2 pounds of oranges for a dollar!!
Nutrition Director and Executive Chef at Passages Malibu
Author of Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads (Rodale 2009)
If you love good food follow me on twitter.
Connect with me on Facebook.
Christine Avanti Nutrition, Inc.
4712 Admiralty Way, #265
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292