Sep 12 2011

After Shock Comes Clarity

Maybe you're feeling like this too today…like you're glad that the 10th anniversary of 9-11 is over…now we can stop reliving the past and move forward.

Remember the feeling of September 12th.  That's the day that I want to remember and honor.  the day when she schock began to wear off, and the country began to decide what to do.

After the shock came clarity.

Ten years ago today…we got off our couch…stopped staring and crying in front of our tv's.  We put out American flags, we met our neighbors, we fell to our knees and prayed, and vowed to do something for others.

I remember stores ran out of flags…people waited in line to give blood…even showed up to help at Ground Zero.  Millions were donated to charity.  This is a day to celebrate the American spirit.

I remember being changed that day.  Before I admit to being self absorbed 10 years ago…no kids yet, just working on my career, had just bought my first house…was focused on accumulating things…and felt so empty.  I remember a friend calling me asking me that day if she should could to church with us.  I realized life wasn't about me…and making the perfect life…it was about others…and focusing on that, has never steered me wrong.

I think it's fitting that the 9-11 Memorial opened in New York City today.  It's a fresh new start.  Maybe there's something in your life that you need to give up and close the chapter on…and start staring at blank page and fill it up with good stuff.

Tell me what clarity you received after the shock wore off of 9-11…Share your September 12th memories

Stories shared today:

Personal Ground Zero by Amanda Carroll

Honoring the Memory of 9/11 By Honoring the Memory of 9/12. Ariana Huffington

Serena Williams Loses Her Cool. NPR

Secrets of Skinny People. Huffington Post

2012 VW Beetle ads open with fist bump for male buyers. USA TODAY

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (7) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

9/12/2011 11:19:04 AM
Donna United States
Donna
Amanda,

I just heard your comments about those "secrets of skinny people", you can eat all the cookies you want, if you don't sit down, they don't count.  That is our saying at school, if you are walking while you are eating, then it doesn't count, I work in an elementary school cafe. So I am around food all day long.....
9/12/2011 11:32:01 AM
Steve United States
Steve
Because of 9/11 the company that I was working for layed of about 40% of the employees and a lot of companies have not recovered from that
9/12/2011 11:56:47 AM
Laura Richards United States
Laura Richards
I feel like I am less self-absorbed than I was 10 years ago. I also have more of a passion to encourage others, and do good. Because in the end good wins, and if we can make the world a little happier, evil does not have a chance to shine.
9/12/2011 1:23:04 PM
Tiffany Oberg United States
Tiffany Oberg
I love this. I reposted some of it on my Facebook. I think its great and so true.
9/12/2011 8:14:21 PM
Alex Philippidis United States
Alex Philippidis
Really enjoyed today's post, and listening to you and everyone at KLove. I was floored when you said "there's something in your life that you need to give up and close the chapter on…and start staring at blank page and fill it up with good stuff." Thanks for that encouragement: Boy did I need to hear that today! I'm at the edge of some major changes, and I'll need the continued prayers of friends, family & strangers to make it through. But I'm encouraged by the first answer to prayer God has shown me today, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the rest of the pieces of a beautiful new puzzle in the weeks ahead. Thanks for letting me share it. Keep up the good work. Best to you and yours. God bless!///
9/13/2011 5:09:15 AM
steve United States
steve
Thanks for the reminder that we're all in this together.  We don't have to wait for a tragedy to prompt us to offer a helping hand, our hands should already be extended.

Steve
9/13/2011 12:24:51 PM
Miguel United States
Miguel
Hi Amanda I am a loyal K-Love fan but I enjoy it more when you are there you sound like a down to earth person that has his strugles and still is working in reaching that spot in life that is the confort zone.I enjoy that story about the water fight I did that with my kids so many times and it was the best time ever with them and it's free.God bless you Princes of God and God bless your little Angels. Smile