Sep 14 2011

Be the Person You want Your Children To Be

I don’t know about you, but so far in life…the hardest thing I’ve done…is being a parent…a job that will never be done.

But, just like anything in my life, I never do anything halfway.  I will tackle this will full force.  I like to call myself a Professional Parent.  Not because I'm an expert or have it all figured out, but because I want to take it seriously.  My children deserve it, and so do yours.

Think about your Job…you go to school for it…you dress up and look your best for your job, prepare for meetings…you make agendas and spreadsheets and you read up on how to be the best at what you do.

I think the same should be for parenting. Go to classes, read everything, take it seriously.  And be a good example appearance wise...I want my daughters especially to learn how to care well for themselves.  They need to see mommy in things other than sweats.

Don’t just guess. We're not just raising children, we are raising adults.

The latest thing I read on parenting was one of those lists of do’s and don’ts. Things like:

• Let your child hate you…part of growing up is being mad at your parents.
  • Children need to struggle sometimes fall down…so they can learn to pick themselves back up.  Literally and figuratively.

The One that stunned me: "Be the person you want your child to be."

They wrote, "The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree.  Your child is watching you all the time…absorbing what you say and what you don’t say…how you react, how you treat people, how you behave.  Modeling is the most powerful teacher."

So I made a list, who I need to be, so my children will grow up to be strong, healthy, love God, and serve others

I need to eat healthy...so they will.

I need to exercise...so they will.

I need to give...so they will give.

I need to pray...so they will pray.

I need to care for strangers...so they will care for others.

I need to go to church...so they go to church.

I need to care for my health...so they will care for themselves.

If I want them to follow and love God…they have to see me do it.

“A young mind is like jello…you got to put in the good stuff before it sets. "

Stories Shared Today:

10 Pieces of Parenting Advice. Betsy Brown Braun

Modern Day Samaritans

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Can they make it easier to send out Christmas Cards? Sorting Your Facebook Friends. Huffington Post

You don't have to take your kid's shoes off at the airport anymore! Huffington Post

I want to be Wonder Woman.  Hope she will be better dressed!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (13) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

9/14/2011 9:27:46 AM
Tessa United States
Tessa
Amanda...God has been dealing with me on this...almost exactly with the words you have testified to during the broadcast today.  Be the adult you want your children to grow up to be.  God told me to make 3 lists.  #1 What I want my children to be, #2 What qualities/traits from the first list I currently have, and #3 what qualities/traits from the first list I do not have.  I also had my husband review the second list because sometimes I think I have a quality that I do not.  I love this!
9/14/2011 9:27:51 AM
Lauren United States
Lauren
Thank you for your advice about being a "professional parent"...it was very helpful and inspirational!  I'm a single parent of two girls, I'll be starting nursing school this spring and I'm a little nervous about it (excited at the same time too, not sure how that works!) and hearing what you said helped me in trusting and believing that I'm going the right direction with life!  Thanks again!!
9/14/2011 12:12:39 PM
Charlie United States
Charlie
Hi, I heard you talking today about your daughter "will probably go with the princess dress" rather than the business suit.

Have you read or heard of "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldridge? They argue that to be swept up in a dramitic adventure by the one you love is hard-wired (my term) into the women's soul.  To put on a business suit and become like a man?  Not so much.  That seems to be more a legacy of feminist movement, which ironically seeks to erase most of the "feminine" aspects of women.

If only we could raise more boys into the men that they were meant to be by God....maybe more women would embrace their Godly femininity.

God Bless,
Charlie
9/14/2011 12:21:49 PM
Bob Dillon United States
Bob Dillon
hey, all I can say is thanks for sharing your life with us, it has made me think about opening up a little myself. I'm getting older now and want to finally get a life, but I don't have the strength. I just hope God has mercy on me and helps me soon. I have a wonderful wife who's still with me and I'll never understand that.  thanks again, I really enjoy hearing what you have to say, you're so right on.   Bob
9/14/2011 12:25:07 PM
Beckie United States
Beckie
You need to look at, Gods Girlz Dolls!, Praise Ponies GiGi Princes and Bibleman for the boys...
Pretty Awesome!
9/14/2011 12:37:29 PM
Dan Williamson United States
Dan Williamson
As Daddy ...my daughter(s) will ALWAYS be the princess (yes - Mom is always the Queen!!).

Of course reality and preparation for life's sturggles is paramount in parenting ...but, I will never give up their right to believe they are the Princesses they deserve to be.  I hope any man they choose to share life with, will also have this mentality.

THIS is Eph 5:25

(Amanda, you rock!!)
9/14/2011 2:07:36 PM
Lynda United States
Lynda
I saw the movie Courageous last night and it was FABULOUS!  I laughed hard, cried, and hung on the edge of my seat throughout the entire move.  It is by far the best Christian movie ever made to date and you will absolutely love it.  Go see it when it comes out September 30th!
9/15/2011 7:39:44 AM
Debbie United States
Debbie
This is so inspirational. I wish every parent would read this.
9/15/2011 8:16:39 AM
Karen United States
Karen
Stop it with the negative princess stuff, the girl is a princess and her Father in Heaven loves her just the way she is.  A little girl.  She will grow up, let her be a child now.  That is what she is.  In a few years she will be a grown up and move on to a different state than you, with a business suit and you will be glad for her (sad for you, you'll miss the girl).  Thankful that she has that Father still with her, because you let her be herself.
9/16/2011 12:00:14 PM
Rick Benedict United States
Rick Benedict
Wow!!! This is so good. This is the absolute truth.
9/19/2011 5:03:26 PM
katie United States
katie
hi I hope you all are having a blessed evening or day depending on where you are at. when I say this I don't mean to say this offendedly so please try not to be offended but please don't come on Ms: Amandas  page and tell her everything she isdoing wrong and judge herI ma sure she gets enough of that from  this world, we as chirstina are suppose to build each other up and ecourage each other up mso insterad of point gingers at her and judging her ( remeber my friends every finger you point there are three more pointing back at you) tell her all she does wrong lets build her up and tell her what she is doing right she her she is worthy in gods eyes because she is. and for all those whom have tried to encourage her thank you, again this is'nt offendedlly but from the heart. Meay god bless you all
9/19/2011 10:09:31 PM
katie United States
katie
I just realised all my misspelling and I am just correcting because I am a  perfectionist. every I hope you are having a blessed day or night depending where you are at. what  I was trying to say was that I am not say this offendelly so please try not to take it that way. but please don't come on Ms: Amandas page and tell her  everthing she is doing wrong and judge. I am sure she gets enough of that from this world. We as christians are suppose to build each other up and encourage each other, so istead of pointin fingers at her and judging her ( remeber my friend for every finger you point there are three more fingers pointing back at you) and telling her what she is doing wrong. Lets build her up and tell her what she's doing right, lets encourage her the way she encourages us, lets tell her she is worthy in gods eyes because she is. and for all those whom do encourage her thank you. once again I don't mean to offend anybody by this. have a great night or day where ever you may be.
9/20/2011 7:45:29 PM
kevin ernest bettencourt United States
kevin ernest bettencourt
its sad but i finaly read your page on parenting its the way we should be they do deserve our best fact is if we dont jtnp in with both feet we will look back later and say what ? Thats right sorry lord i could of but didnt and i must say u have faith lick i live for jesus and not many around me ever realy want to share or exspress the lord if u got it and keep it in when it finally is unleashed it bursts out in all places of our life i like u .u have great energy and the lord adors that im sure any how just saying hi...x8