Sep 27 2011

Family Dinner Night

I remember them well.  Not because they were fancy or formal, but because they were very fun and informal.

I remember some of the best family dinners were when my mom was single and it was just her, my sister and I.  We had this small apartment in Indianapolis, and a little round oak table, I can still picture it.

She’d make something simple, sometimes just mac and cheese, and we’d spend ten minutes eating, but sit at that oak table for an hour talking and laughing.  You know those times when you laugh so hard you cry, we had those often.

I’m sure at the time my mom was stressed and it wasn’t the way she had planned it all out, but as kids that’s all we needed.  Simple and just being together. So that’s what I do with my kids, now.

I saw that last night was "National Family Dinner Night."  I know that it’s hard and impossible to do every night of the week with how busy families are.   The last thing I want to do is make you feel guilty or put another thing on your “to do list."  Who cares if it’s not organic and made from scratch, the healthier thing is that you sit and talk.

I usually start by asking my kids, “what was the best part of your day.”  Last night my 3 year old son, Andy, said; “Seeing you mama.”

Maybe your family did this growing up too, maybe not, but  I’d love to hear about your family dinner traditions, as well as what impact they have had on you.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (7) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

9/27/2011 10:42:48 AM
Jordan Keefe United States
Jordan Keefe
Amanda,

Growing up, my family was super busy. My dad is an air traffic controller and my mom is a teacher at a University and also runs a soccer club with over 1500 kids. My sister and I both played soccer. She also played volleyball and I played hockey. Needless to say, we never had a traditional "family meal." But the meals we had I wouldn't trade anything for. My mom would call us at 8 or 9 at night and ask if we wanted something to eat to which we would reply yes!! So she would bring home some tasty fast food with milkshakes and we would all lay up in my parent's room and watch television together. Now I know this is no "family meal" but they were my absolute favorite meals!
9/27/2011 2:14:25 PM
Tim United States
Tim
Amanda,

I listened to your comments after lunch today about the dinner table and your childhood.  It was great to hear your story and to be reminded that something so simple can be remembered for so long.  Rising above the pain of broken dreams and learning to appreciate and even celebrate the "less than perfect circumstances" God chooses to deal us is tough.  I'm a single dad with four kids that I have the joyous opportunity to care for and dine with every other week.  I am blessed and next week I'll be looking for the moments of laughter and memories as we sit around the table as a (redefined) family.  Thanks for your encouraging words and sharing your story - that's just one of the many ways that God gets glory from life's adversity.
9/27/2011 2:43:38 PM
Dorothy Folkman United States
Dorothy Folkman
My family didn't ever eat dinner together as a family. We 6 kids ate first and the last kid eating had to wash dishes.I didn't wash many dishes and today I still inhale my food. If my parents ate it was usually after we kids were in bed.
9/27/2011 6:00:35 PM
Dave United States
Dave
I loved our family dinners as a boy, they could be fun(ny), hard to take (like when I didn't like a vegetable or something, and would have to sit until I ate it and everyone else left the table,) or just comfortable. To this day, there are some of those foods I still will not eat, though I eat most of them. My family had family dinners until our girls reached high school. But my poor job discipline did most to spoil things. I spent too much time missing dinner because of things at the office. I fully endorse efforts to bring families together for dinner. It's a prime example of what makes life matter, and keeps families together longer
9/28/2011 8:54:04 AM
Kevin Knipa United States
Kevin Knipa
My family did have the family dinners for a number of years, but since my parents rented all the years growing up, it was in 3 different houses that I can remember. Greatest ones were while I was in elementary school because you talked about your day. Middle school and High school brought about some hectic days so it wasn't as often we got to sit down. Since being in the military, the only time we sit down as a family, is basically when I go home on leave and we all go out to dinner or lunch.
9/28/2011 1:08:21 PM
Dornella United States
Dornella
We have a small family,its my daughter and I but I still make it a point to have dinner at the table. Those are the best times of my day. We have questions that we ask eacother from a gift that we received called "Dessert Talk". Questions range from what is your favorite color to if you could meet someone famous who would it be? My daughter loves them and when we have visitors she gets those questions out.

Thanks for sharing your life with us, Amanda. I enjoy listening to you on the radio and reading your honest and encouraging words.

God Bless,