Oct 24 2011

Heaven is for Real

You know that feeling of finishing a great book?  It is such a great feeling to read the last page and then close it but then you’re sad that’s it’s over.

It’s rare for me to find the time to read a whole book, with 3 little kids, but I had a break over the weekend and finished the book “Heaven is for Real”.

They say it’s a true story of a little boy, Colton, who has a near death experience and goes to heaven, sits on Jesus’ lap, meets his Great Grandfather, even his sister from his mother’s miscarriage and then through the prayers of his parents survives by a miracle.

He then over the next several years talks about Heaven and what it’s like as well as what he saw.  His parents started writing it down.

I loved it so much because I felt like I was getting answers to questions I’ve always wondered about heaven.  Will we really get to see our loved ones?  Well in this book, this boy did.

The book did more then answer questions for me.  It made me feel closer to Jesus.   Over the course of the years, Colton’s parents asked him what Jesus looked like.  They showed him lots of pictures, and he would always tell them what was wrong with the pictures. Until, they heard about a little girl that had a similar near death experience and painted a picture of the Jesus she saw.  They showed that to Colton, and he said "that’s Him."

Now I’m bummed that book is over, maybe I’ll just read again.  Tell me about a book you read that you finished but long to read again.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (15) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

10/24/2011 10:11:07 AM
Kat United States
Kat
I read this book not long ago and could not put it down.  I cried with such joy.  Yes, it does answer questions that you may have.  I put the picture on my phone as my wallpaper so that I have the "true" face of Jesus to look at every single day.  I have told so many people to read this book. I feel so much closer to Jesus than I ever thought possible. I plan to read it over and over again.
10/24/2011 10:15:39 AM
Ken United States
Ken
Amanda,

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. I listen to K-Love every morning while carpooling with my wife.  We have had our struggles, but the songs always have a message for us.  My family including my 9, 6, and 4 years old kids are a #1 K-Love fans.

Thank you for your ministry and blessings to our lives. My children are getting to know God through K-LOVE!

Love,
Ken
10/24/2011 10:16:33 AM
Leisa Landis United States
Leisa Landis
I loved the books "Redeeming Love" by Karen Kingsbury and "The Shack" (can't remember author). I didn't want them to end!  I don't have a lot of time to read either, but am thankful for many, many good books available!
10/24/2011 10:22:27 AM
Beth Maynard United States
Beth Maynard
Beautiful thank you for sharing such a lovely story and encouragement for everyone as well.
10/24/2011 10:33:38 AM
Karen Westmoreland United States
Karen Westmoreland
Loved the book.  I wondered what Jesus looked like to these two children.  Now that you shared her picture, I am so thrilled.  I watched the video and saw the painting of Jesus and was listening to a song about needing a savior, Jesus.  Wow what a moment.  Thank  you for the book, the picture, the song and for K-love.  Most of all, thank you Jesus.
10/24/2011 11:55:49 AM
Christy Hammer United States
Christy Hammer
That picture of Jesus made my heart leap, Amanda. His eyes seemed to look right through me, which is how I imagine He will be be... able to look right through it all.  I read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller, and that is one fantastic book, just as all of his books are.  They are thought-provoking and encouraging. Thank you for being an open book, just like a good friend is.
10/24/2011 5:09:40 PM
MichaelBbright United States
MichaelBbright
Thank you for sharing this story with others as myself. Such a beautiful gifted girl.Amazing experience. My God bless her.
10/24/2011 7:41:48 PM
Karen United States
Karen
"Redeeming Love" was a wonderful book that I would love to read again - only it was written by Francine Rivers, not Karen Kingsbury.  When it first came out everyone at work was reading it - we all loved it.
10/25/2011 6:39:57 AM
Caroline United States
Caroline
Mistaken Identity is an amazing book. It is the true  story of two girls who were in a car accident, one dead the other in critical condition and their identity's switched. This book will make you laugh, and cry, but also make you thankful for the time that you have with those you love.
10/25/2011 9:02:09 AM
Christina United States
Christina
What a wonderful story to tell to my 6 and 7 year old boys.  They sometimes question and say "that is so hard to believe" when I tell them all about God and Jesus or read from the Bible.  I told them that God gives us His Word in the Bible but sometimes, he sends signs to draw us to belief in Him.  This was just the sign that my children needed to help them grow in faith.
Thanks and I am about to start reading this book now!!!!
10/25/2011 11:19:57 AM
Michelle United States
Michelle
I read this book and just finished recently as well. The book gave me such hope and along with 90 Minutes in Heaven, gave me a foundation of truth I believe to look forward to our real home. I took some of the descriptions from Colton and how Todd compared it to scripture and reveled in how God used this child of His to give us more hope for our future if we truly choose to follow Him. I agree, I will have to read it again! I loved the book the Shack too and need to read it again as there is some amazing things in it as well!! Smile
10/26/2011 11:02:30 AM
Sabrina Spencer United States
Sabrina Spencer
Thank you for sharing this beautiful story.  It has given me so much hope, I lost my 14 year old son last year by suicide and am driving myself crazy just wondering.  I feel like now I can have a little ease knowing that he is with Jesus and is no longer suffering in life.  I can't wait to go to my real home someday and seeing him there. The book has been such an inspiration, thank you.
10/27/2011 9:41:54 AM
Angie Kangas United States
Angie Kangas
Amazing! Looks like the pictures we're so familiar with aren't that far off. Except in this photo, it appears Jesus just got back from the salon. Wink
10/27/2011 9:47:02 AM
Hoshie United States
Hoshie
Amanda,
I have read this book and it was amazing!! I absolutely loved it!! It makes me want the rapture to happen very soon!!!

Hosanna Vermillion
10/28/2011 10:18:19 AM
Jenny United States
Jenny
I loved "Heaven is for Real" too! It was so awesome to think how he said the Holy Spirit was blue and that He shot down power to his dad when he was praying for Colton! Prayer is SO powerful! my favorite series is the Yada Yada Prayer group series by Neta Jackson and I have read them several times over and always hate when they end...good thing she keeps writing parallel books that have new characters, but some old ones in there too!Smile