Nov 09 2011

Keep Asking Questions

Maybe you’ve come to an understanding like this too…it’s okay to ask questions.

For a long time I think I thought it wasn’t okay to doubt things about God, about things in the bible that I don’t understand.

Then, the other night I was searching for comfort in the quiet…searching for answers on what in the world am I doing raising 3 kids on my own so far away from my family.

So I picked up my Grandmother’s bible.  It’s tattered and torn, has an old lady cover on it…you know the floral ones with handles…has stuff tucked in everywhere.  It’s one of my prized possessions though.

I opened up and read her notes alongside the verses.  Some of them said,

“I don’t understand this. Ask the preacher.”

“I’m not sure I agree.”

“I need to pray about this.”

I realized if the woman whose faith I admired most in my life had times of questioning and doubt than it must be okay for me too.

I’m the first one to admit that I don’t have this figured out.  I don’t know what in the world God is doing with my life right now, except for teaching me how to ask Him for help every day.  Lately I’ve been praying this one prayer from the bible, one that Solomon prayed.

“God give me an understanding heart…so I can speak to your people well…give me wisdom to know the difference between right and wrong… “ (1 Kings 3:9-11)

Maybe you doubt that this whole God thing is even real. Than ask.  Ask your friends, ask God.

It’s okay to ask questions…how else are you going to find the answers.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (15) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/9/2011 8:41:05 AM
Brittany United States
Brittany
I question things as well, and like your grandmother did, I pray on some things I don't understand and ask my pastor on other things. This made me feel like I am not alone. Thanks Amanda!
11/9/2011 8:45:13 AM
Cheryl United States
Cheryl
Amanda,
I am going to school to be a psychiatric nurse practitioner after getting injured when I was a family nurse practitioner so it would be less physical of a job.  At times I wonder why I am doing it, I feel God is taking me by the hand and leading me.  I too am a single mom of two and when I listen to you ....you give me hope.
11/9/2011 8:51:55 AM
Erica United States
Erica
I've been questioning God's plan for me as well lately. He set me on a path with my husband to start our own business. We have been in this for a few years now but are just coming out of a tough period. I've been questioning why am I doing this and where are the rewards? God has been leading me back to Himself and to His truth the last week. This morning I read this in Jesus Calling. I'm behind a day. "Your sense of security must not rest in your possessions or in things going your way. I am training you to depend on Me alone, finding fulfillment in MY PRESENCE. This entails being satisfied with much or with little, accepting either as My will for the moment." I hope this gives you some peace about where you are right now in your journey. We are in training and will be until we get to heaven. New circumstance each day. May we all accept His will for every moment and be satisfied in it and in His presence.
11/9/2011 8:56:48 AM
Myrna United States
Myrna
Praying for direction at the moment. Your experiences have always uplifted me. This one is a gem. Keep believing, right?
11/9/2011 9:22:44 AM
Joyce United States
Joyce
Hi Amanda,

I just heard your comment about coconut water and I cannot agree with you.  Maybe it is because I grew up drinking coconut water.  I know that it is probably an acquired taste but it is not as awful as you described it, although you are entitled to your own opinion. Pure 100% coconut water has a very light and almost bland taste, which I find is better than gatorade.
11/9/2011 9:38:57 AM
Miguel Amador United States
Miguel Amador
All great women and men in the bible had there doubt, for example Mary when the angel told her she would carry the savior she had her doubt in that time it was death by stone for a women that would get pregnant without being married, Noel with God’s request for him to build and ark when it never had rained, David and Goliath, they all had there doubt but they all did God’s will that is were we as Christians stand out because we listen to God’s voice being tough his word or though some one that God uses as his instrument. And now we have the word of God that is our manual and if we study it and read it we will have the answers we seek. God bless
11/9/2011 10:07:47 AM
Ed United States
Ed
This posting was a good message to hear today.  I've been on discussion boards where a lot of agnostices, athiests and anti-religion thinkers dwell and without any attempts to preach doctorine I've been able to stay humble in the face of heavy opposition to any belief in God.  Everytime I pray for God's wisdom and for humility and without referencing verses and scriptures I've learned that God's truths have nothing to do with logic, scientific proof or archaelogical finds.  It has to do with patience, humility and caring during this human experience.  And being a model of that in the face of opposition while asking God to teach me has opened doors of understanding that I wouldn't have had if I had tried to defend what I do not completely understand.  Wow..God's truths do exist in everything, just as the Bible says.
11/9/2011 10:15:56 AM
Erika United States
Erika
So pertinent to our life right now! When my sweet daughter first shared her thoughts of doubt with us, I felt like I had failed miserably and all was lost.  I now understand that many people experience doubt and God patiently walks through that with us. Thank you for sharing this sweet story about your grandma.  You are always such a blessing on KLOVE as you transparently share your walk of faith. God bless you!
11/9/2011 10:17:39 AM
Craig United States
Craig
Hi Amanda,
Your comment about Grandma questioning God has helped me to know and understand it is ok to question Him. I am the one, who took the broken road, but you know what, God has proven Himself several times to me over the years of that broken road!

I came from a “Legalistic background church”, which is where I met Jesus, but yet something went wrong and for me to take the time and write it all out would be rather long indeed.

I came to know that there is a God back in the year of “82” which of course was the best thing that ever happened to me as I said, but through many trials, tests, and hurts I am so thankful that we have such a loving, forgiving, and caring God. I wish I could tell the whole story what He has done for me and is doing for me, but I know that is not possible.

I am presently going to a “Baptist church” and I am being fed good food there. I am growing day by day and gaining my strength back just like the scripture says in Isaiah 40:31. "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength". I am re-learning patience and that is the way I see my growth at this time.

I am not sure what my calling is, but I know we were created for Him! I am waiting on Him.

The way God works just blows me away. He is an AWESOME GOD!

Thank you for Grandma’s insight about our Lord and savior.
Sincerely,
Craig
11/9/2011 10:29:40 AM
Cathy United States
Cathy
Hi Amanda, I heard you say that you don't understand everything about what God is doing or has done. I really believe He expects us to question, after all He tells us that His ways are not our ways. But, the best news is that we do understand the most wonderful of all Truth. We get that Jesus is the Son of God and that being blameless He died for us and that is what our Heavenly Father really wants us to understand. There are many times when I question just how I could be loved so much, what He is doing in my life.But with all that, I know the One who holds tomorrow; but more important I know the One who holds me. I love listening to you and am so glad God has brought you to K-love.
11/9/2011 11:00:59 AM
David United States
David
Amanda,

We all have our crosses to bear and to seek what is truly God's wisdom he so much desires us to have. At times, we look at where we are and say how do I go on? which way do I go? and we ask ourselves constantly is this the right thing to do? Many other questions pop into mind and I've learned that God really inspires us to enjoy life and let the worrying to him, that's the trust in him he passionately seeks for us.

I've been divorce with 2 kids, now separated with current wife and stepson, finished Associates degree in the summer and currently enrolled and 1/3 into my Bachelors degree program. I'm in the military and my family support is not the greatest. Throughout the last 6 months I have committed myself to trusting in the Lord and follow his path of righteousness. Though times I get very weak, lonely, and in despair I turn on KLOVE and "positive and encouraging" is what I listen and see. Though I don't want someone to carry my cross, knowing that being devoted and obedient to the Lord's will, so how all my mess is going to make sense.

JAMES  - Chapter 1
Verses 19-21: Instead of blaming God under our trials, let us open our ears and hearts to learn what he teaches by them. And if men would govern their tongues, they must govern their passions. The worst thing we can bring to any dispute, is anger. Here is an exhortation to lay apart, and to cast off as a filthy garment, all sinful practices. This must reach to sins of thought and affection, as well as of speech and practice; to every thing corrupt and sinful. We must yield ourselves to the word of God, with humble and teachable minds. Being willing to hear of our faults, taking it not only patiently, but thankfully. It is the design of the word of God to make us wise to salvation; and those who propose any mean or low ends in attending upon it, dishonor the gospel, and disappoint their own souls.

Lastly, I'm no saint, I'm to like you trying to make it through each day, event, and challenge. I'm learning to do what is right in the wisdom of the Lord.......comfort comes when you allow his Love to fill your heart with the purity of truth, hope, and faith.

No Greater Love....then to feel his Love for you...and share that love with your kids....I only see my kids for 120 hours a month...is that right? doesn't matter, it is what is present...Then David said to his son Solomon: “Be strong and steadfast (courageous), and go to work; do not fear or be dismayed (discouraged), for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or abandon you before you have completed all the work for the service of the house of the LORD.k(1 Chronicles 28:20)

God Bless you, your family, and those who lift you by supporting your faith......may the Lord work within your heart, open your eyes, and speak into your mind the Loving Grace of his words and actions of his intentions for Goodness and kindness in and around your life. Amen.

11/9/2011 11:43:45 AM
Michelle United States
Michelle
I've always believed that the only question that's a dumb question is the one that's not asked... I always tell my kids that... but have had a hard time, actually, felt guilty when questioning God.  BUT we are human after all.  ((Hugs)) and prayers heading your way.
11/9/2011 12:28:05 PM
Denise knepp United States
Denise knepp
Amand
Thank you that was good stuff. I"am using that word to pray over my family with and my self. Lord Bless your days and nights . I  raised 3 children with the Lord he is a husband to the husbandless and a father to the fatherless, The Lord did great things for my kids and me . remember to laugh alot with them,pray with them even when you are the tiredess one. I also had no family around, I had them praise God! dont let the deveil take your time away from them enjoy enjoy enjoy ,give and you will get back.Love in Christ Love Denise
11/10/2011 8:58:19 AM
veronica paez United States
veronica paez
Why does it have to be so complicated when it is the man/husband/father of the children fail and it is the mom, single mom and kids that suffer. all I want is to be left alone until we (me and the kids) heal and are strong to be around the other family he choose. It sucks to be a good person and always get stomped on..........
11/15/2011 1:08:36 PM
Cesar Ruisanchez United States
Cesar Ruisanchez
Its ok to have questions because that only makes us what we are humans. And God who he is, our Father cause if we knew everything then why would we need God? The problem some times is that when we ask God for an advise some times he does not give us the answers that we tough we should hear. But then again isnt that why we ask him?..All that we can do as his kids is TRUST HIM...GOD.