Nov 10 2011

Real Love

When you are young and you have that “just in love” feeling you think you get what real love is.  Not so fast.

I don’t know about you, but to me, real love, is when everything is a mess, a challenge, and you choose to love anyway…kind of like how God loves us.

Tell me what real love is to you…

Saw this thing where a group asked kids “What does love mean?”  Here are some of my favorite answers:

'When my grandmother got arthritis , she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore.. So my grandfather does it for her all the time , even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love.'

Rebecca- age 8

'Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs.'

Chrissy - age 6

'Love is what makes you smile when you're tired.'

Terri - age 4

'Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well.'

Tommy - age 6

'During my piano recital , I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling.

He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore.'

Cindy - age 8

'Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day.'

Mary Ann - age 4

And the winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife.

Upon seeing the man cry , the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.

When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor , the little boy said ,

'Nothing , I just helped him cry.”

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (8) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/10/2011 10:23:51 AM
Kelli United States
Kelli
could you play Casting Crowns, Your Love is Extravagant...The Love of Jesus is amazing, He loves us so much that He was willing to give up His life for us.
11/10/2011 10:24:55 AM
Kelli United States
Kelli
11/10/2011 10:32:08 AM
Robert Riddle United States
Robert Riddle
Hi Im Sorry I cant believe your not married ! Goto Youtube ,Type The Harbingers  Christian Rabbi Cahn ,long verion ! 1789 St Pauls ground zero NY ,the Gov Promised God of Israel , Leviticus 26,Isaiah 9:8 same trees on ground zero ! Same Judgements !
11/10/2011 10:44:22 AM
Kurt Fritsch United States
Kurt Fritsch
I would love to have real trees at Christmas time. However, my wife is allergic to the smell of fresh pine trees.

Oh well!

Kurt
11/10/2011 11:47:58 AM
Carla Vornheder United States
Carla Vornheder
What is love?  Me and a couple of single (never-married) girls are studying the book of Ruth together.  And we noticed how much Ruth's famous statement of fidelity in Ruth 1:16-17 was very much like marriage vows.  Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge.  Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God.  Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried.  Thus may the LORD do to me, and worse, if anything but death parts you and me."  We have noticed, as we work to learn how to be good friends and better Christians that love is  very much like making that Ruth/marriage profession.  What are the traditional vows?  From this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part.  I can't necessarily say that to the whole world, but I can try to be there for the people Jesus points me toward.
11/10/2011 3:52:53 PM
Eddie vaughn United States
Eddie vaughn
Thank you for sharing that with us  Amanda! God bless you and your love ones.
11/10/2011 5:10:19 PM
Tracy United States
Tracy
When you mentioned that we should share our love memories, I thought okay you asked.

My wife and I have been married for almost 29 years.  In that 29 years we have had a few trials of which I will only hit the high points.  In Feb 2010 I was laid off from my job in UT (it was temporary).  BTW... I am still looking for a mechanical engineering job here in Phoenix.  My daughter has a very rare genic condition called "Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome" and in her case it means that all of her connective tissues are hyper-elastic, by analogy her connective tissues are like a rubber band that has been left in the AZ sun too long.  They stretch but do not always pull back fully.  We searched for this diagnosis for 8 years.  With Ehlers-Danlos the joints are in some level of pain 24/7 it just depends on how much.  The same week I was laid off from my job we found out that my daughter (Amy) had stage IV Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.  Shortly after Amy went into remission our beagle of 14 years had to be put down due to; you guessed it, cancer.  Because of Ehlers-Danlos Amy cannot sit or stand for more thatn 20 minutes comfortably, cannot lift more than 5 lbs. and because of the way the school district counts absences has yet to complete high school.  My wife is a cardiac patient and is stable for the moment.  She has been in the hospital twice in the last year.  We have a major bill with Good Sam downtown Phoenix for her last visit, do not know how the Lord is going to pay this one.  (However, when Amy was 2 mos. old my wife (Lori) almost died from cardio-myapthy.)  When we first moved to AZ literally the week we were moving to AZ Lori's mother passed away from brain cancer (4th bout of cancer).  The best three grandparents for my kids, whom they were very close to (27 Jeff & Amy 21) have all been called home to be with the Lord.  What relatives we have left have no priority to vist or spend holidays together.  Which sometimes is okay, sometimes not.

God has provided for our basic economic needs because I am a licensed engineer I am able to consult for people I know in the architecture/engineering industry.  Ther are not many families that have the principal bread winner out of work for two years and are still in their house.  We are that family.  Our lender has tried be very fair about a loan adjustment, and as long as we make the Decmber payment our loan will become current and the payments will have been reduced by about 400$.

And through all of this Lori and I have been in love and have pulled very close together.  It has always been we will get though this somehow and the Lord will provide a way.  We have not always liked His solutions, but they have met the needs.

My apologies if this sounds like venting, it is not ment to be.  That is what love means to me and my wife.
11/10/2011 7:16:09 PM
Hollie United States
Hollie
Dear Amanda,
My name's Hollie, I switch back and forth between K-Love and KVNE every single day. Both stations have helped me tramendiously! Although, I feel that I owe you a huge thank you! Every story that I've heard of yours has honestly played as a Blessing in my life. I realize that God is the one that gives you the experiences and words to say, but you choose to Listen to the words and find that good that God has put in the experiences and then you share em'!!!
I see it as that "BIG picture" that everyone says to focus on! and that's right, the big picture is what matters! Although, there's sooo many little things in that "BIG picture". Every little thing in that picture is unique in some way, just as the viewers of that picture are. and what may catch one person's eye may not be the same thing that caught another's, but as long as they're focusing on the same picture, that's all that really matters.
In my apethany^, I realized that God is the "Big picture" and if we(all Christians)focus on the big picture, we could be something small that caught someones eye and then more and more people could enjoy the "BIG picture" just as we do!
I have recentely joined a Christian organization at my college called RealTAlk! the leaders will choose a topic and all together we discuss how we feel about it. and Then they show us What God says about it. From the bible-no domination! I love that part!! haaSmile
Durring Halloween we had Hell week and I learned that Hell was invented for us, but the enemy and it will swallow up all the evil on earth with it. We wern't put here to see if we're good enough, if we past a test- Thank God! lol, we'd be in some trouble. but anywho, we are here to be saved and to tell others how we were. We can't save anyone, but we can tell em' who can, who saved us!
Last year, I was talking with a friend on an ag trip about this facebook group. The group was created by a group of kids that I honestly think were trying to help solve some problems and for everyone to be heard in our school. You would message the group privately and they would anonyomousely post it on the group wall so no one knew where it came from. A lot of students including myslef added this group because everyone talked about it and we wanted to be part of somthing that we thought was cool, but it wasn't. It started many problems, until the group went out of style. and no one cared about it anymore. Well anywho, my friend that I was talking to told me it was trouble and I didn't listen, but I did get to tell him about some of the posts that were on the wall. and that was people saying that our school had too much "God stuff" in it and that real friends wouldn't care of what religion that they believe in. and then one of my best friends, Annie said I care if my friends go to Hell. and if you knew her, you'ed know that she is one of the besttt friends to have! and then my friends that I had been talking to, by the way his names Kameron, but he said something sooo simple and soooo affective that I think of almost everyday! and that is, "How can it be too much, when it's not enough; that's the reason we're here!" And man, talk about a slap in the face, I had lost my focus, everyone else was commenting on those kid's post,most agreeing or half agreeing, but I could of told em' the truth and I didn't. Instead I was just talking about it. Even though my comment would of been a small addition on that page, it could of been the only truth that the one's that had posted it or others that were lost would have seen. I don't know if anyone else posted what I should have, but I Pray that someone has had and taken the chance to talk to them. The one's that commented on the original posts I do know of, some were my friends, but all were really neat people in some way, some even were very tallented in music. and I'd hate to go to Heaven and know that they wern't there, but I've learned from that and many experiences icluding writting this comment that when God tells you to do somthing, just do it. I was typing this comment and when I got to the end and I wrapping it up, I hit a wrong key. I don't even know what key, but just that fast, it was allll gone! I kept trying to back arrow and it wouldn't come back. Then that voice came into my head, and I knew it couldn't be God, it was too loud and totally against His word. and what I heard was, "Well, you tried, it just wasn't meant to be, it was too long anyways, it probably didn't make since and who really cares or are even gonna read it. You have waisted your time" So I said a little Prayer asking God basically, "God do you want me to stick with it? If you do will you help start all over? Help me make it good,even better?" So I redid it and I came up with a better ending! well, I think! lol, I do appologize for the length though! I've been told a few.. hundred times that I talk too much! but it makes me feel so much better that I actually said what I wanted to say.. this time! ps, the hitting the random key and all disapearing happend to me again, at the end! but I had coppied as I went this time! and I was thankful to see it all there when I hit past! lol.
Thank you sooo much, and all of the talk show hosts, all of the listners and all of the singers and writers for being a Blessing in my life. God Bless, continue to do what God says to! I am true evidence that there are other ways to get somewhere, but some take longer than others and I promise it's not worth it! I always think.. if I would of just listened to God, my mom, many family and friends sometimes even my gps the first time around, it would have saved me a lot of trouble! I'ma try to prevent all the messups that I can, but the ones that I can't I'm determined to learn from and I don't want to have to go through em' again as in this letter, I would of done it again, but I probably would have cried!♥