Nov 15 2011

When the Life you live is not the Life you planned

Maybe you too were inspired by the interview with Gabby and Mark Giffords last night on 20/20.  So many moments of the special moved me to tears.

Mark told the story of his wife, a Congresswoman, fought back after being shot in the head.  The moments that I’ll never forget…

He knew his wife would fight her way back, and at the beginning he fought for her.  He put a sign on the door to her hospital room for visitors that said “no crying”.

He was so sure she would beat the odds he put his Purple Heart on her bed.

She wore both of their wedding rings on her finger and some of her first movements were playing with those rings, taking them on and off.

Her mother said when she heard the news that her daughter had been shot, she literally heard the voice of God say to her, “Be Still and Know that I am God.”

You think about the things that you are going through right now…a crumbling relationship, money problems, you think life as you know is over.  Think of Gabby.

It’s a powerful  lesson in reclaiming your life.

The ultimate moment last night was when  they showed home video of Gabby working with a speech therapist trying to put the right word with the right object.  She called a chair…a spoon…she started to say the words boo-hoo she was trying to cry.  She broke down.  The therapist held her and they started to sing “This Little Light of Mine…I’m going to let it shine.”

If Gabby can do it, you can do it.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (21) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/15/2011 8:18:12 AM
Debbie United States
Debbie
Yes, I too saw this interview and was speechless.  How far she has come with awesome therapists, an incredible husband, and a loving God!
11/15/2011 8:19:59 AM
Vanessa Martinez United States
Vanessa Martinez
I watched the documentary last night and haven't stop thinking abt her story. You just spoke about that on air. I'm a single mom as well, just recently divorced and it's so painful but with the Lord at my side I know I can do it!
11/15/2011 8:25:36 AM
Karen Arnold United States
Karen Arnold
People never know how strong they are until they release their problems to God.  Sometimes we try too hard on our own, and wonder why things don't work, no matter how hard we try.
When we open our hands and out hearts to God, he takes over, showing us an inner strength we never knew what there.
11/15/2011 8:32:31 AM
Laura Roth United States
Laura Roth
I didn't see the interview, but your commentary had me in tears. I love listening to your show, you are always right on. I am a single mom too, and it is ok.
11/15/2011 8:38:19 AM
Susan United States
Susan
Thanks, Amanda for your piece about Gabby.  I have had a hard day already with my kids being grumpy and me feeling helpless about what to do.  My son, in particular, was giving me a hard time today.  He has special needs and somedays it feels nothing works.  I just want to give up. After dropping all 3 kids at school I headed to work - still focusing on all that was bad so far today.  I prayed to God to help and he answered with your words.  I know he was talking to me because He used words that I have been using - like "reclaiming your life" - one thing I have been thinking about myself lately.  I have been through so much these past few years.  But I also told God that I didn't have much "shine" today and you spoke about that and played the Addison Road (not sure how to spell that) song "This Little Light of Mine".  This all happened as I pulled into my parking lot at work, so God gave me a few quiet moments to listen and absorb this. Thank you so much for ministering to me and the many others who needed this message at that moment today.
11/15/2011 8:38:26 AM
Kaycee Williams United States
Kaycee Williams
I didn't get to see the story but listening to you made me cry. I am going through some health issues and what you said, just confimred to me that I am a child of the most high God and he is a mighty healer. Who sang the song you played and what exactly was it called? I can't find it anywhere, but I would love to read the whole lyrics. Thank  you and God bless.
11/15/2011 8:41:15 AM
tina United States
tina
I think Mark's last name is Kelly, not Giffords, but I'm sure he's been called Mr. Gabby Giffords before Smile
11/15/2011 8:44:56 AM
Elizabeth Gregg United States
Elizabeth Gregg
WOW
I prayed today that God would use me today then I told myself I can't help encourage anyone I am here at home with only my niece today.
God I think may have used me by being here at home.  I heard you talking about this & so knew then I had to share this story with a friend who has a daughter in the hospital with severe anxiety attacks. The girl is about 15 & her name is Summer. Please pray for her & her family. I can't imagine being a teen & having attacks like that.
Thanks for sharing GOD is going to use this story to encourage so many. HUGS
11/15/2011 9:05:46 AM
Shawn United States
Shawn
Hi Amanda.  We watched this last night as well.  Such a great and inspiring story.  Unfortunately it is rare nowadays to see such a great example of a husband believing and supporting "in sickness and in health".

Also, I just wanted to let you know that Gabby was actually given the purple heart by an anonymous veteran that left it for her at UMC and not from her husband, Mark.
11/15/2011 9:36:49 AM
Helen Tisdale United States
Helen Tisdale
Amanda, I liked your article today.  I enjoyed the interview last night also.  So many of us are living a life we planned.  I listen to you every day that you are on & I just love how you minister to so many by your story & what you are going through as a single parent.  It glorifies God, as you have such a sweet spirit. I can hardly wait to hear about your Christmas tree you are planning for your children. Gonna have a new memory.  God bless you & strengthen & encourage you. I am a single parent of a 38 yr. old special needs son.  God has been so faithful to help me care for him at home all these years!  I wouldn't trade nothing for my journey!
11/15/2011 10:03:47 AM
Cecil Burdette United States
Cecil Burdette
the lord is so good to us thank K-love i just love you all and i am glad to be partner with you all God bless you all in Jesus name Cecil in Jackson.co west Virginia
11/15/2011 11:08:18 AM
Jason Lester United States
Jason Lester
I saw it last night as well...man what a positive attitude they both have. I was moved by that interview and don't usualy care for the interviews of politicians and other famous people...but wow what a testimony she has. God is good!

BTW Amanda love listening to you on the radio. Keep up the good work.
11/15/2011 11:12:24 AM
Mayra United States
Mayra
I was so impressed with Gabby in the interview.  I saw the Lord's hand with her and her family throughout everything.  I was very happy to see that her husband stood by her through everything; that is true love.  I love the article and yes we can do everything through Christ because he gives us the strength.  Remember the Lord doesn't give us more then what we can't handle.
11/15/2011 11:15:27 AM
Mare United States
Mare
wow. such an incredible and encouraging story. It reminds me of one of my favorite movies "Regarding Henry"

When you put your faith in God, the impossible is attainable.

Thanks for sharing this.
11/15/2011 11:41:55 AM
Erin United States
Erin
I loved the title in your article.  When the Life you lived is not the life you planned.  I have felt that sentence a lot this past year.  I went through an unwanted divorce and am also a single mom.  It has been a struggle but  the verse I always cling to is Jeremiah 29:11.
The interview last night was such an inspiration to see someone come so far.  I love your show, thanks for being real and honest with your struggles.
11/15/2011 11:42:56 AM
Marsha Albert United States
Marsha Albert
I watched 20/20 and Nightline last night in order to get as much information as I could.  I found it to be a story of encouragement and determination although Grabby has more work ahead of her.  Two years ago, I had an infection in my back which needed surgery.  By the time the doctors was to do surgery, it affected my ability to walk.  I identified with Grabby and her struggle to learn how to walk and the frustration to not be able to do the things she once was able to do on her own.  My condition was not as serious as Grabby's but I understood some of what she was going through.
I have been on short term disability for the past two months due to a partially torn Achilles tendon and feeling a little sorry for myself.  Thank you for reminding me that there are others who have life more difficult than myself.  God was and still is in control, but I (as well as all of us) need to do our job.

11/15/2011 12:01:21 PM
Amanda United States
Amanda
The song I played was "This Little Light of Mine" by Addison Road.  They actually played it during the interview!  Loved it!  Here are the lyrics:

here's a little flame inside us all

Some shine bright, some shine small

The rains will come and the waters rise

But don't you ever lose your light

In this life you will know

Love and pain, joy and sorrow

So when it hurts, when times get hard

Don't forget whose child you are

Chorus:

This little light of mine

I'm gonna let it shine

This little light of mine

I'm gonna let it shine, gonna let it shine

May you live each day with no regret

Make the most of every chance you get

Let your eyes get wide when you look at the stars

With the same sense of wonder as a child's heart

With the ones you love treasure the time

And for those who are gone keep their memories alive

Hold on to your dreams don't ever let go

Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com
There's a fire inside you burning with hope

Chorus:

This little light of mine

I'm gonna let it shine

This little light of mine

I'm gonna let it shine, gonna let it shine

There will be days when you want to give up

When the clouds settle in

But after the rain comes the sun

Don't you ever forget

One day there will be no more pain

And we will finally see Jesus' face

So until then I'm gonna try

To brave the dark and let my little light shine

Chorus:

This little light of mine

I'm gonna let it shine

This little light of mine

I'm gonna let it shine, gonna let it shine

There's a little light inside us all
11/16/2011 8:17:52 AM
Lisa United States
Lisa
I just heard you talk about this being your first Thanksgiving without your kids ... I've been there soon you will love to hate your non-holiday, free time, sleep time, girl time.  You are doing the right thing by using the time for "you" and making sure your children have holidays with their father.

Before you know it you will have another kind of holiday without your kids ... they will be all grown and going to their girlfriend or boyfriend's family holiday celebration.  This is a whole different feeling because it means there are no more "mom" holidays.

This one is harder to accept ... I'm still having a hard time and it's been 2 years since my boys have started going to their fiance for alternate holidays.

I will be thinking and praying for you on Thanksgiving ... here's to "girl" time.

Peace,
Lisa
11/16/2011 8:18:25 AM
Sue Clark United States
Sue Clark
Hi Amy...I just heard you on my computer at work and my heart goes out to you with your babies being gone for the first time on a holiday... After my divorce when my children were young (not as young as yours) I was so priviledged because then the shared parenting was not like it is now.. I had them part of the day and he had them the rest of the day so they enjoyed both family atmospheres for the holidays ..I know now most people live farther away and that is not possible.so your little guys wont know the difference if you have a Thankfull day before they go....cook your whole meal and tell them it is because you are Thankfull for them...!! God Bless you..
11/16/2011 8:31:05 AM
Debbie United States
Debbie
It is often said, those things that do not kill us makes us stronger, and it is so true.  After my divorce part of me wanted to die and give up, but I had to many other people counting of me.  I am 10 years down the road and tackled a lot of "first times".  Truly I am the better person today because of the journey that I walked through and often times God carried me through. God Bless you Amanda in your journey, may your tears soon only be a memory and a journey that you have learned from and grown stronger from.  Blessings to You!!
11/16/2011 5:37:52 PM
Deanna Carter United States
Deanna Carter
I need to say thank you for this...this woman is truly inspirational and in your words I felt God was speaking to me....I have been faced with my husband of 7 years divorcing me. When you began talking about this story, I randomly turned the radio up....I soon began to sob when you said the words "If Gabby can fight back and learn how to walk again and speak again, I can be a single mom with 3 kids under 5."....In these words, it was specific and God   wanted me to hear it...I am facing being a single mom of 3 little girls all under 5....your words were my comfort and I know God will see me through this. Thank you!!