Nov 23 2011

No Medal for Coping

In life you have joy, you have pain, you have love, you have loss.  All of it is still worth living through. All of it brings you closer to God.

Don’t know about you, but I too often judge a book by it’s cover.  Surfing through the tv the other night…stopped on an interview with Meredith Vierra, who just left the Today show…and sitting next to her was….well a weird looking guy.

As I listened realized it was her husband.  He suffers from MS…has for a few decades.   Didn’t know that.  He is well known journalist, Richard Cohen.

When asked why Meredith gave up one of the top jobs in her field, it was assumed that she did because of her husband’s failing health.  They say that’s not true.

Although in a lot of pain, he’s fine.  He’s actually in some of the best health he has been in, and that’s why she decided to leave.  To live life to the fullest, together, while they still could.

Her husband said,

“You get one shot at life.  There is no medal for coping.  Your friends and your family are the best part.  Keep your eye on the prize.”

That got me.  Sitting on my couch while folding laundry, not to complain how hard things are, how alone I might feel, how tired I am.  There's no medal, no badge of honor, for that.  I will be thankful this year for how God has gotten me through it all, never leaving my side, holding my hand.

He does for you too.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (7) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/23/2011 8:22:42 AM
Sidney Clark United States
Sidney Clark
Couldn't say it any better myself.  We need to remain positive no matter what situation may be.
11/23/2011 8:28:24 AM
lindsay strode United States
lindsay strode
Thanks so much for sharing this...It is really what we are to do within and outside of the body of Christ ...encourage others to keep their eye on the prize. Remember we have already been won to Him and in Him alone!!!
11/23/2011 8:55:35 AM
Jonna Patton United States
Jonna Patton
Thank you Amanda, it was such a relief to hear this today.  I have wondered why Meredith left the Today Show.  Both Meredith and Richard have blessed so many of us.  I pray that God is with them and brings them blessing in the comfort of His love.
11/23/2011 10:11:54 AM
Mary Knudson United States
Mary Knudson
A weird looking guy? I hope you're saying that because you didn't recognize him, not because he has MS. My best friend has MS and struggles with people's stares and stuff. Just a word of caution.
11/23/2011 10:20:27 AM
Mary Knudson United States
Mary Knudson
Realized that my previous comment came out harshly, which is not intended. I loved reading your encouraging words, just was alarmed by that phrase.
11/23/2011 12:02:01 PM
Shawn King United States
Shawn King
Encouraging word.  This has been my most challenging year by far.  After 16 years of marriage, I found myself a divorced dad with my (3) children five hours away now.  I made a decision early on that has carried me through this storm.  I would not let this trial pass without finding the hidden opportunity to grow closer to Christ.  Trials give us the opportunity to become bitter or better.  I chose better.  I have my days of pity, but I claim God's word when he says, "All things work together for good for those that love the Lord and are called according to HIS purposes."  I don't know what satan had intended, but I am not defeated.  I am not coping.  I am more passionate than ever to provide hope and encouragement to others who least expect it, but desperately need it!  I can't wait to see where the Lord leads me next.  Keep your chin up Amanda. One day at time.  Maybe even one wash cloth or towel at a time. Smile
11/23/2011 1:07:19 PM
Stephanie Gibbs United States
Stephanie Gibbs
Great post!  I love hearing your voice on KLOVE in the afternoons - and you always seem to talk about issues that my age group (mid-late 20's) deal with, and are always so honest in your true feelings!  Thank you for being so encouraging!
By the way, I'm sure people have notified KLOVE already, but just in case: somehow the station isn't working in San Antonio (at least from my car radio and inside the house).  I'm sure they're working on fixing it though; we're listening online for the time being ;)