Dec 01 2011

The 4 Presents of Christmas

It all feels so excessive…

Don’t know about you, but I find myself longing for a simpler Christmas…

It just feels like there is such need…and my family has such excess.  Heard my pastor say that if you have a car…you already have more than 90% of the world.  Living in America it’s hard to understand that fact.

Want to teach my kids that before they come up with their list of what they want…to make a list of what they can give.

Karen posted this think on my blog about what her family does every year to not give into the excess…I think you might like it too.

Each child gets 4 presents.

1.    Something they want

2.    Something they need

3.    Something to wear

4.    Something to read

LOVE THAT!  So doing that this year.  Everyone in the house needs socks…CHECK.  One down three to go.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (11) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

12/1/2011 8:46:02 AM
Lanora United States
Lanora
This really touched me. A few years back instead of giving the adults in my life gifts I donated money to a charity I thought they would like and gave them a card with info on the organization and the donation in their name. It went over well. But my older brother was especially touched. I gave to a Prison Ministry that gave toys to the prisoners children as our father was in and out of prison our whole childhood. He gave me the strangest look and really was touched. Come to find out, unknown to all of our family, except his wife, he had been involved in some wrongdoings and was about to be sentenced to 7 years in federal prison. God really works though us doesnt HE? My brother has since given his heart to Christ, he has been out for a few years, works, is very successful and God is awesome. So I really recommend to pray about this and give someone special a donation. You never know how God will use it.
12/1/2011 8:47:27 AM
Sidney Clark United States
Sidney Clark
I know what you mean by having excess.  When my children have to divide their things between their mom's house and mine, there was no need to buy extra toys or gadgets.  They had enough of everything, including clothes, to have stuff in both places.  When we swap the children, each one only has a duffle bag of a few items they take back and forth.

The idea that Karen and today's caller presented about 4 or 3 gifts is wonderful, especially with a more limited budget. We are taught in the bible that is better to give than receive.  My children hear this message as well, and having them consider what they can give of theirs before they decide what they might receive for Christmas, helps them understand Christ's message.
12/1/2011 9:28:38 AM
Cherry United States
Cherry
My Friend and her family does the 3 gifts… like the Kings gave Jesus…

Gold

Frankincense

Myrrh

They try to represent them to our time..

Gold = something they want that they probably would just get

Frankincense= a spiritual gift to lead them along the way

Myrrh= a beauty  gift / personal gift

The kids love it.. because its more personal and they like getting things they really want and not a bunch a stuff that is not that meaningful…

Here is a link to share:

whispersofthespirit.com/goldfrankincensemyrrh.aspx
12/1/2011 10:31:37 AM
Perla United States
Perla
I love it! Thanks! =)
12/1/2011 11:28:41 AM
Tiffany United States
Tiffany
I really like this idea!  Some kids (and adults, let's be honest) get the "gimmes" during this time of year, so this is an awesome lesson.
12/1/2011 11:49:13 AM
MARY ROSE United States
MARY ROSE
Great idea! This year, we are implementing a three present plan for our family. Each child gets three presents.We figured that if three presents were enough for baby Jesus, then that's enough for our family, too! After reading everyone's thoughts, I think we'll be adding three gifts to give as well.
12/3/2011 8:09:44 AM
Brittney McCarty United States
Brittney McCarty
I like this when i have kids this sounds good to do
12/3/2011 12:11:59 PM
Kathleen United States
Kathleen
I found this 4 gifts idea last year and it worked out really well.  Our kids are still pretty little (5 and 2) and it's nice to start them out now with only a few meaningful gifts, instead of lots of things they won't really use.  We also find a couple places to give gifts as well.  This year they each helped fill a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child and our town has a "store" for foster families to shop at, so we picked up some gifts for them as well.
12/3/2011 5:51:35 PM
Loretta Oakes United States
Loretta Oakes
Dear Amanda:

You have been on my heart since you started at KLOVE. You are brave to share your story and it touches so many people because we all feel broken sometimes in our lives. I'm sorry for the loss your family has endured and you are in our family's prayers.

I love your post about making Christmas simpler and the comments that people have left. All good info for me as I discern how to help my family appreciate Christmas for what it really is.

Thank you!
12/7/2011 8:58:21 AM
Amber United States
Amber
I had been struggling since Thanksgiving with the feeling that I really want our family to 100% focus on Christ's birth and that can be really hard to do in this world where it is all about what you HAVE and what you GET! Our kids are 8,5, and 3 and I couldn't think of a better time than right now to change how we celebrate the birth of Christ!  Every year God has changed our celebration and this year God has changed my heart and your message was just what He wanted me to hear.  We are doing the 4 presents but I added one more, Something I can Make them, and they each want me to make them a blanket where I will add something special like a photo of myself with each child.  That way I am also giving them a "keepsake".  I praise God for what I am hearing through K-Love and the encouraging words.  God is using you all in a BIG way!! Thank you!!
12/9/2011 2:00:53 PM
JulieBaby United States
JulieBaby
My friend Janelle gives each of her seven children four gifts. Three represent the gifts the wise men brought to the newborn Jesus, and those are opened right away. But the fourth gift, the most beautifully wrapped gift, they can not open until Easter.

Janelle's children surely know that the best thing about Christmas  ... is Easter.