Dec 14 2011

Accept His Help

Maybe you’ve experienced this too.  You offer to help someone…..and there’s that awkward moment…where they don’t accept your help..and then you feel bad for offering…

Happened at the grocery store yesterday.  In line and there’s a guy that was dressed in fatigues…behind me in line with just a gallon of milk.  I had a full cart of salad and mac and cheese.

I hesitated…I wanted to offer to help a soldier…here’s my opportunity!  Finally got the guts up to ask if I could buy his groceries and get him out of the store quicker…he hesitated and got kind of embarrassed and said “no that’s okay.”

Oh man…maybe I did the wrong thing…I wish he would have let me do it.

Sometimes it’s good to accept someone’s offer for help…they want to help you…it makes both of you feel good.

Kind of like how God loves you.  He offers you this thing called Salvation…forgiveness, and doesn’t ask for anything in return, accept your acceptance.  That’s it.  You don’t have to keep this list of rules to earn his love.  You just say I believe, I accept.

"God saved you by his grace when you believed.  And you can't take credit for this; it's a gift from God."  Ephesians 2:8

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (10) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

12/14/2011 8:49:16 AM
Barb Scott United States
Barb Scott
Thanks. This really spoke to me. I don't like to except help.
12/14/2011 9:23:40 AM
Tonya Grant United States
Tonya Grant
I have recently learned to accept help. I had been asking God to help me and if I hadn't accepted the help I wouldn't have gotten an answered prayer. Thank you Lord for your love.
12/14/2011 10:44:17 AM
Anna United States
Anna
Sometimes it's pretty hard to get yourself to accept help from others, especially when you are so used to resolving your issues yourself.  Sometimes though, in the midst of our problem, God, in his loving way, deals with our pride and makes us humble enough to realize that we don't have control of our lives, that he and only he has control of us and he allows certain situations in our life, just to teach us a valuable lesson.  Many of times, we are so busy worrying about the problem and just completely forget that in everything, there is a purpose and our prayer to our Lord should be to show us what his will is in all of this.  Thanks for sharing.  God Bless you.
12/14/2011 11:45:51 AM
Jan United States
Jan
Next time just quietly tell the clerk to ring it up and then when the service person gets to the ocunty the clerk can tell them "it's been paid for"!  That way they can't say no Smile  Thanks for reminding us to make a difference Amanda!
12/14/2011 12:04:43 PM
Eve United States
Eve
Don't feel bad - I'm sure he was blessed by the offer even though he didn't accept it.  My husband is in the military and we are always blessed by any gesture of appreciation for his sacrifice, usually just a "thank you."  We are not in need, but there is a tremendous sacrifice of time away from the family, and a fair degree of danger, so gratitude from those he serves is always very encouraging.  He would do it anyway, but it never hurts to be appreciated!
12/14/2011 12:44:56 PM
Al United States
Al
Maybe the better question would be, "What was Jesus's response to your offer to help?" Too often we are brought to a halt by someone's response we weren't expecting and fail to see how the Kingdom operates. You see, it's not how THEY respond to us but what we do that count's most with Jesus our King.
Your offer was seen by more than you and this military person for whom you offered to pay the bill. Jesus watched the whole thing go down. And I have to say He was extremely pleased. Though your offer was denied and you rightly honored this servant's request, your offer was as though you had actually paid the bill and a generous deposit; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over was dumped into your heavenly account. So rejoice sister for your offer has netted you a reward in heaven and has won your King's deepest gratitude for the way you ministered to HIM.
12/14/2011 1:06:52 PM
marin moreno United States
marin moreno
God allows trials in our life He also makes a way out.A drowning. Man in the middle of tbe ocean asked God to save him,a man in a row boat came and offered help he said i am waiting for God,a ship came along and offered help,he said i am waiting for God.The man drowned when he got to heaven God noticed he was a sad.God asked why are you sad,he answered God i asked you to save me i waited for you and you never came.God said do you remember the life boat, he said yes,do you remember the ship, he said yes.God said i sent them to help you and you refused.
12/14/2011 1:44:02 PM
Anna United States
Anna
Not sure how else to get this to you-
I was really touched by your comments about the WAR on Christmas, and the song you played afterward. Thanks for being real.
12/15/2011 8:26:20 AM
Audiomatron United States
Audiomatron
I'm in the Air National Guard (Air Force), and we were taught in basic training that it is against military regulations to accept gifts like that. The Marine in your story wasn't being proud, he was following the rules. I irks me a little when people try to buy my coffee or something when I'm in uniform. You pay your taxes, right? Well then, you are paying me (and the pay isn't bad, might I add). Although, I am touched that there are so many people who appreciate what the military does. Tell the Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine that you appreciate their service. That way, he/she will know you appreciate him/her, and won't have to feel uneasy about accepting a gift that they are not supposed to take.
12/15/2011 11:05:29 AM
Elijah United States
Elijah
Hey Amanda, I'm not sure if you will get this or not but I want to thank you for wanting to bless a soldier. I'm a operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom veteran and any acts of kindness blessed me when I came home. You stepped out in faith to help that soldier and that is what God sees.