Dec 29 2011

ONE

Maybe you kind of feel like this too…like a maverick…someone that laughs or rolls your eyes when you hear the term “New Year’s Resolution.”

You love them…you hate them… the skeptics will tell you there’s no point in making one because you will break it, the optimists say well just pick an attainable goal.  Blah. Blah. Blah.  Never been one to do what everyone else does.

Yesterday we shredded all of our bad memories over the past year…now it’s time to move forward with a better outlook.  Out with the old…in with the new.

Saw this idea from the Happiness Project…about picking one word.  Just identify one idea, one theme for the entire year.  Maybe it’s Hope, maybe Patience, maybe forgiveness.

I’m picking ONE.  From my little Daily Word this morning…

Declare oneness with God.  God is in you…God is working through you to fulfill a good purpose.  Be open to God’s perfect order.  Allow your life to unfold as it should.

I’m not going to obsess anymore about what’s next in life.

“The crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth.” –Luke 3:5

Tell me what your word for the year will be…
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (46) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

12/29/2011 8:31:48 AM
Kristi Graydon United States
Kristi Graydon
Servanthood
12/29/2011 8:31:55 AM
David United States
David
You are an impressive lady, God Bless You.
12/29/2011 8:32:00 AM
Brett United States
Brett
FAITH!
12/29/2011 8:38:39 AM
Bruce United States
Bruce
Over, as in over one relationship and starting life over on my own
12/29/2011 8:39:14 AM
michelle United States
michelle
last year, mine was "abide" from john 15. I can't tell you how incredible my spiritual growth has been because I choose that word. I'm still working on what my word will be next year.
12/29/2011 8:39:48 AM
David United States
David
Him
12/29/2011 8:57:56 AM
Sonja United States
Sonja
After posting the word "live," the word "unity" came to the forefront, so my word is "unity"
12/29/2011 9:14:21 AM
Samantha United States
Samantha
My one word for this year would have to be HOPE, as someone else posted. I gained a great relationship with a godly young man this year, but also lost my mother two weeks ago. And the only thing that can come out of this all is hope. Hope in 2012. Hope for the years to come. Hope for Jesus' coming. Hope for the future!
"Now I have plans for you,' declares the LORD. 'Plans to prosper, not harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11
12/29/2011 9:21:34 AM
Deseree United States
Deseree
Through

I can do all things through Christ, our Lord.
I am trying to lose weight, and will be able to do it Through Him.  My marriage is rocky so Through Him we can fix it.  I suffer from Depression (as long as I can remember) and Through Him I can overcome that.
So, Through seems like the word I should focus on this year
12/29/2011 9:37:06 AM
Rebecca United States
Rebecca
Obedience
12/29/2011 9:41:46 AM
Jade United States
Jade
"dedication" and "prayer" are the two words coming to my head so i can say "dedication to prayer!"
12/29/2011 9:51:21 AM
Sue United States
Sue
GROWTH! I have actually decided just last week to do this same thing..pick one word to be my focus for 2012. I experienced the unexpected 3 months ago...my husband left me, with no warning, after 26 years together. God has been my strength through this storm! I'm looking forward to personal growth and especially growth in my relationship with God in 2012!
12/29/2011 10:21:28 AM
Anne Angelo United States
Anne Angelo
Devotion
12/29/2011 10:30:51 AM
Debbie Laster United States
Debbie Laster
LOVE my word for this year.....John 3:16; 1Coeinthians 13......so many more......it can change the way you think, act, and make you into the image of Him..... your step of obedience and increasing faith...
12/29/2011 10:41:39 AM
Gay United States
Gay
my word is RESTORATION....believing for it in 2012. In my life, in my church, in the world. We need it so bad. Webster says "to give back; return;to put back into use or service; to put or bring back into a former or original state; to put again in possession of something." We need this in our lives and the lives of those we love. Pray and believe, and God will restore what has been destroyed!God we pray for Your restoration! Joel 2:25  Jer. 30:17  Gal. 6:1
12/29/2011 11:15:18 AM
Penny United States
Penny
RELENTLESS
12/29/2011 11:34:20 AM
Chloe United States
Chloe
Focus.

There are so many things I want to do in the New Year and as I wrote down my resolutions they all seemed to center around that one word.
12/29/2011 11:37:15 AM
Jill F. United States
Jill F.
Abundant. Smile
12/29/2011 11:48:05 AM
Dorothy United States
Dorothy
Serve.
12/29/2011 12:37:40 PM
Cheri United States
Cheri
You don't have to fully give up Eye of the Tiger -- you can have the music but with Christian lyrics.

Apologetix has a parody called "I Have to Die First" -- the video is here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UzWWUmf2wI

The lyrics are here:  apologetix.com/.../song.php

You can buy just that song on amazon, and maybe itunes, not sure.
12/29/2011 1:46:23 PM
Chris United States
Chris
Surrender.......it is written on my bathroom mirror....it is written in my 2012 planner....and I pray the Spirit will etch it on my heart.  My stubborn arrogance must give way to His plans for my life.
12/29/2011 10:56:54 PM
Susan United States
Susan
My word for 2011 has been hope. My Mom has been diagnosed with breast cancer that has now spread to her brain. So I think that my words for 2012 will be Hope & Peace. Sorry I know I picked 2. Peace be still and know that he is God.
12/30/2011 9:06:16 AM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
I cracked up when I saw this! A friend of mine already "warned" me about the "word for the year." She picked relationships last year and was overloaded with relationships. We laughed that she should have chosen MONEY!

My word (taking a deep breath here) is DEVOTE. Devote myself to the teaching of God's word, to prayer, to serving, to growing in my relationship with Him. Devote. Let's do this!
12/30/2011 12:50:58 PM
Andrea United States
Andrea
Last year I picked righteousness, and I think it has taken until OCT/NOV for me to really get a hold of that.  I've really been impacted by some books this year, namely Radical, Racial Together, Crazy Love, and Generous Justice.  So I'm trying to think of a word to tie all the themes of those books in together.
12/30/2011 12:52:56 PM
Denise United States
Denise
SERVE

I want to continue to serve Him, growing in the knowledge of Him, drawing closer to Him, while reaching out to others to help them as Jesus would do.
12/30/2011 3:21:01 PM
Miranda United States
Miranda
I choose patience. I want to do a better job being patient with people around me, showing understanding and love.
1/1/2012 10:15:35 AM
Jim United States
Jim
My work this year is HONOR, that is to honor Him in everything I do and try to be honorable in my actions and words. Last year, my word was TRUST and trusting God more throughout the year has brought blessings of Peace in tough times.
1/2/2012 8:59:30 AM
sherry United States
sherry
trust
1/2/2012 9:11:37 AM
Hannah United States
Hannah
Serious
1/2/2012 9:15:33 AM
Sharonda United States
Sharonda
My one word is QUIET! I plan to be quiet this year in order to listen more to what God has to say to me.  I feel I've missed what he's been saying because I haven't been quiet.
1/2/2012 9:21:58 AM
Liz United States
Liz
CONTENTMENT

My adaptation of Phil 4:11-13.
I am learning to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have enough. I am learning the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

1/2/2012 9:22:34 AM
Rrona United States
Rrona
Undo. I want God to undo all of me. Heart, mind, soul.
1/2/2012 9:28:14 AM
Kathi Harris United States
Kathi Harris
Seek...I need to seek His will for my life in absolutely everything I do.  I need to seek Him in everything I do all day....every day....if I can do that, everything else will fall into place.
1/2/2012 9:34:31 AM
Jovonna Wright United States
Jovonna Wright
Surrender! as a new Christian & going through a seperation i find it hard at times to surrender to what God has planned for me and my children to just give it all to Him and let Him work.. so this year i WILL have FAITH and surrender all to HIM!
1/2/2012 9:48:35 AM
Kate United States
Kate
Glorify. In everything I do, I want to glorify God. In EVERYTHING.
1/2/2012 9:54:49 AM
Lois Braun United States
Lois Braun
OPEN
to what God wants for me and from me
to who He puts in my life and why
to what He wants to add or subtract from my life
to learn new things
to opportunities of all kinds
to His love

1/2/2012 1:59:51 PM
Julie United States
Julie
UNSHACKLED!

Dictionary definition:

Unshackled: to free from shackles;  unfetter.

Shackles: anything that serves to prevent freedom of procedure, thought, etc.

Too many times in my life I have been bound by the errors of my past ... the dust of 'dead men's bones' clogged the cracks in my broken pot and the light of Christ would be stifled! NO more! Praise Jesus for healing and determination to shake of the dust.
1/2/2012 7:43:51 PM
Gail United States
Gail
Forward.   Not going back, looking ahead.
1/3/2012 6:30:18 AM
Lisa United States
Lisa
I thought about this for several days and tossed around many words like: hope, change, clean, discipline, fix, renew, DO...
But the word I really had to choose was STRENGTHEN.
I desire to STRENGTHEN my love for Christ.
I want to STRENGTHEN my marriage and all relationships in my life.
I will strive to STRENGTHEN myself physically through healthier eating, more regular exercise, taking time to renew and relax my mind and all around wellness.
And I will aim to STRENGTHEN my familys financial outlook by treating money with wisdom and making more careful decisions.

Isaiah 41:10
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will STRENGTHEN you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

STRENGTHEN
1/4/2012 5:19:16 AM
Sue Smith United States
Sue Smith
My one word for 2012 would have to be dedication. I am dedicating my life back to God and His Will, dedicated to reconnecting with family and friends that I haven't seen in years, dedicated to making life changes, to paying off bills, and to finally finish school and start the job I have dreamed of for nearly 36 years.
1/4/2012 12:19:48 PM
Michael United States
Michael
My ONE word for 2012 is lighten.  As in lighten the load of care, worry, regret and just plain old stuff -- including too many bills!

Jesus said in Matthew 11, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

"I will give you rest."  Wow.  Rest is something I've been finding it hard to do, and I pray for His rest, as I lighten the burden.

Thank you so much, Amanda, for this post and for sharing your heart so freely on K-LOVE!
1/5/2012 6:34:22 AM
Tamara Horton United States
Tamara Horton
CALM. That is my word. I am a mom of 7. Two foster kids that we will be adopting this year, three adopted kids with special needs, two amazing bio kids, and a great husband. This last year felt like trials and tough situations hit me from all sides. We had everything from our neighbors dying in a house fire to our church falling apart. I am focused on being CALM today and every day this year. It has made me stop and think before I speak. Also, no matter what the situation is I can choose to go through it with a calmness and peace. I look forward to the changes that this one word will make in my life. Thank you Amanda for the challenge.