Jan 04 2012

A Divine Appointment

You know what they say; how there are no coincidences in life, just divine appointments.

You’ve probably seen it too…those tearful goodbyes at airports.  You try not to stare, but you can’t help it.  Someone starts to cry and they’re hugging, before you know it,  the crying spreads…

Saw this yesterday as I headed home from taking a short vacation over the holidays.  It was a mom saying goodbye to her 7 year old daughter…she was putting her on a plane by herself.  I felt for her, because I figured the situation was like a lot of families deal with these days…a divorce…a single parent…with a visitation schedule and it was time for her daughter to go back to her Dad’s.  I know it all too well, my kids have been with their dad for 2 weeks now…it’s hard.

It made me realize that you have so much power on your child’s emotions…really any one in your life…if we loose it in front of them, they loose it too, if we are strong, they will be too.  It was like a moment I filed in my head to remind me not to cry selfishly while my kids leave to go visit their Dad.

Turns out that little girl was on my plane.  Turns out I sat next to her.  This was not a coincidence, but a divine appointment.  Once I got situated I whispered to her, it’s going to be okay.  I’m a mom, and my kids go to see their Dad too.  The best thing that calmed her down right away, “want to play a game on my iPad?”

She stopped crying before the plane even took off.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (9) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

1/4/2012 10:21:43 AM
Jennifer Harris United States
Jennifer Harris
God had a plan and he put you in the right place at the right time.  That little girl will remember that plane ride for a long time and the wonderful woman that sat next to her.  I also deal with visitations and made a resolve a long time ago to never cry in front of my son.  I always go behind closed doors because I don't want to make him feel guilty for visiting his dad that he loves.  It's hard but knowing other people deal with the same circumstances makes me feel like I am not alone.
1/4/2012 10:46:36 AM
BLB United States
BLB
That's beautiful, it reminds me not to lose sight of what's really important
1/4/2012 10:47:29 AM
Julie United States
Julie
I love this...
1/4/2012 11:28:41 AM
Teresa United States
Teresa
I am a single Mom of 2 children 13 and 9. You are an inspiration to me and I thank you for sharing all your stories Smile thank you for taking such good care of that sweet girl that was scared, sad and alone already and as a Mom the relief she had to feel when her daughter told her she made it safe and told her all about you! What a blessing!
1/4/2012 11:42:00 AM
Dawn United States
Dawn
You are an inspiration...I was teary eyed. The dreaded D word. I am married (I was a single mom for 2 years) but am also a product of the Big D. My heart goes out to single moms and dads balancing it all and trying to maintain a relationship with their little ones. But it is better that way perhaps, than the tears of a child who has the promise of the parent who never shows up, for the weekend visit like I did. Keep on keeping on, because we know He is faithful and underneath ALL His everlasting arms...love your post Amanda! In His Grace, Dawn
1/4/2012 12:14:09 PM
Jennifer Kort United States
Jennifer Kort
wow what an amazing story. you made an impact on that girl. wow what a god moment g for her and you to. Bless you, and the little girl.
1/5/2012 9:52:40 AM
Amanda B United States
Amanda B
I love this! God blessed that little girl w u!
1/5/2012 10:08:09 AM
Abilene United States
Abilene
How wonderful it is to be used of God, Amen? God knew you two needed each other and I find it amazing how he orchestrates our lives. This happens every day of our lives if we look at it closely.
I, too, am a single-mom and this time the custody is much more challenging. I have no family to lean on here and I am not allowed to move unless I want to lose custody which is NOT an option for me.
I find it comforting to hear other mom's out there feel the way I do when I take my love one to see his dad. He cries and hold me so tight he strangles me saying he wants to go home with Mom. It kills me inside and I seem to be the only parent there sensitive to this. I try to be brave in front of him for his sake but I believe he can feel my sadness. By the time I hit the parking lot  my eyes well up with tears. Each day is a struggle when I don't have him near so my God time is even more important.
Glad you're here and making a difference. We all do in some fashion.
1/10/2012 11:12:59 AM
Manuela Ptacek United States
Manuela Ptacek
Indeed GOD has a plan... we just have to take a moment to see it, too many people don't take that minute to do so.  I was very touched to hear this story Amanda.  I am a mom of 4 kids and though we have never gone through the 'big D' its not been a struggle at times.  We just enjoyed our 30th annv.... and it has been a challange.  Our kids are 26 down to 16 and I have gone through so much... but hey I'm still standing!  I have had a 14 daughter have a stroke...she was healthy slim and an active kid too! I have died during heart surgery.  And I had left my husband once.

I have survived ONLY by the GRACE of God!