Jan 18 2012

Better Than Chocolate

It’s a simpler fix than you think…If you want to have less stress in your life.

I don’t know about you, but those self help lists online always get me.  Clicked on one yesterday that said “10 tips to distress your life”…Okay…I’ll take the bait…see what their ideas are…So empty…

So-called expert suggested to decrease stress and increase mindful meditation (whatever that means) in your life you should…

1.     Eat Chocolate

2.     Go for a Walk

3.     Take a 3 minute breathing space.

Okay, I never made it to next 7 steps.  I was yelling at my computer screen.  “Seriously?!”  This guy might not have real stress in his life.

When you’re facing money problems, marriage problems, health problems…popping a piece of chocolate and a 3 minute breathing space sounds ridiculous.

It’s a temporary fix.  I can’t imagine facing stress like a relationship or health challenge without the only permanent fix in life, my Jesus.

It might sound cheesy, you may be rolling your eyes at me right now.  But, I dare you to try it.  When life happens and it goes wrong you could try eating a piece of chocolate, or you could try talking to Jesus and asking for help.

I do this sometimes when I get really worried about my future:  Imagine Jesus sitting at the edge of your bed, just talking to you, reminding you that that he has plans for your future, it’s good, and it’s filled with hope.  That he is for you and not against you, that he is not counting up your sins anymore, but he loves you just the way you are.

I don’t know how to face stress in life without that relationship.  Guess I did find something that’s better than chocolate.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (13) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

1/18/2012 9:53:08 AM
Melissa United States
Melissa
Thanks for this, Amanda! : )

I pray you're having a blessed day/week/2012! God bless you all.
1/18/2012 10:16:16 AM
joel United States
joel
GODBLESS you all and keep on with the ministry that have bless many life JESUS rains.
1/18/2012 10:18:02 AM
Lucinda Ware United States
Lucinda Ware
Amanda, what you just said about stress is so right on!  I totally agree with you. Only if Jesus is in the meditation, the thought process, on the lips, will stress be eliminated or, at the very least, able to be dealt with.
1/18/2012 10:25:48 AM
Torie United States
Torie
Look at the whole picture. Taking a walk will decrease your stress. Stop take three deep breaths when your totally stressing it will help you slow down and refocus and refocus on God. When I eat a bit of chocolate I stop, slow down and enjoy the taste in my mouth that is refocusing, re-centering on the path I should be on. That is NOT against God rather walking back to God because I would argue that stress comes from Satan not our Heavenly Father. Satan wants us wound so tight and upset we can't see the forest through the trees. Stop take yourself out of that situation even for a moment will help bring you back to God. Don't throw that list out its a good list. It makes sense.
1/18/2012 10:30:46 AM
Becky United States
Becky
I totally agree with what Torie has said.

Remember, that 3 minute 'breathing space', is a good time to say a 3 minute prayer. You can choose what to do with your breathing space.

I lost my husband unexpectedly in May 2010 just 7 weeks after his mother also died of a heart attack. I can't tell you how many times I have taken a 'breather' to help me cope with the stress of the situation. It's not a temporary fix, rather it is a gift from God and a reminder that HE is the one who is in control. It is a way to refocus on the positive when you feel your life is falling apart.
1/18/2012 10:34:05 AM
Alene United States
Alene
I ALWAYS look forward to your posts.  They are encouraging, uplifting, and a GREAT resource.  I have found alot of help (and refocusing tools) from what you have shared both in words (like above) and in suggested websites and treasures you have shared.
THANK YOU!
1/18/2012 11:07:30 AM
Janie Barrera United States
Janie Barrera
I agree with you JESUS is the only way. Starting your day by giving it to Him so He may direct your every step through the day. Did He not say" cast your cares at my feet"? Trust in Him-faith increases then when trouble comes our way comes we can stand firm. He may just warn you before hand and give instruction to avoid certain situations. How we handle stress displays our relationship with Christ.
1/18/2012 11:16:36 AM
Alicia United States
Alicia
I am a new listener to KLOVE. I heard your on air rendition of it this afternoon and was disappointed in the tone you set around the mainstream article you started to read.  I was going to commend you on looking beyond your worldview, however this blog post has me thinking you might have been looking for a challenge..."okay, i'll take the bait..."
I'm happy for you that you have such a wonderful relationship with Jesus. Not everyone is aware that they can and do have that same relationship with the Christ, and so he works in different ways, maybe it is through that article that will get an angry parent to walk away from their kid rather than hit them.  You even mentioned taking small steps. I bet those other 7 steps are all small stones on the path to a deeper inner/god-filled life.
I'm right there with Torie and Becky, knowing that God is always present and with me, and that I hear his word more clearly when I do take a walk or a 3-minute breather...or meditate...there's a long tradition of Christian meditation...In fact that conversation you have with Jesus, could in some sense be meditation..whether it's going within, or going to a higher source, to gain clarity or instruction you talking in other words about exactly what you were disparaging on air.
(here's one website to check out in regard to Christian Meditation.. http://www.wccm.org/ there are many, i just googled and picked one.)
I looked at KLOVE because they purport to be positive and encouraging...my sense is that you could have presented these ideas in a more positive light...there's no reason to belittle these ideas or the author's life.
How would you feel if some one came back and said that talking to Jesus couldn't possibly work?
1/18/2012 12:24:57 PM
Violetta United States
Violetta
John 14:27 <<My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives>>.

For everything in life; there is God's way and there is the world's way. Yes, who doesn't love chocolate or who can deny that taking deep breaths and a long walk outside is a powerful tool for relaxing the body and mind? But the Bible tells us that if we pick God's way He promises to relieve us of our burden if we leave it at the cross and trust all our uncertainties to Him. So, yes we can relieve stress with all those de-stressing steps BUT that will never truly satisfy your soul and give you the peace that transcends all understanding, which only comes from Christ.(Philippians 4:7)
So, from a biblical perspective I couldn't agree with you any more than I already do!! Thank you!
1/18/2012 9:17:31 PM
Rose United States
Rose
Earlier today, I did imagine just sitting on the bed with Jesus and I could feel Him patting my hand and telling me not to worry.  Thanks Amanda.  That is one thing I hope to remember doing, especially when I am stressing or worrying about something.  Your piece today came just when I needed it.
1/18/2012 9:34:15 PM
Becky United States
Becky
How can we say that chocolate, taking a breather, and going for a long walk is not God's way?  This may be exactly what he is sending to us at that particular moment.

Maybe it is his way of saying, "I've got this one under control so I'm going to give you something else to focus on for the next few minutes rather than continuing to focus on the stress of your life."

I really believe God does want us to look for the positive.

God gives each of us different methods of dealing with stress.  As mentioned earlier, I lost my husband of 28 years unexpectedly in May 2010.  Tonight I had dinner with 4 wonderful women who have also experienced the loss of a spouse, 3 of us unexpectedly and 2 due to cancer.

I believe with all my heart that God has sent these women into my life, not only so that they may minister to me but so that I may minister to them.  I see God working thru them each and every time we are together as we help each other cope with the stress of the situation we have been placed in. We each have different gifts to share.

Amanda admits she stopped reading the article at #3 which means that she doesn't know whether or not the author suggested prayer and imagining Jesus sitting on the edge of your bed in the next 7 steps .

I think this is the article that Amanda is referring to: www.cnn.com/.../index.html

As I read the other 7 steps, I found that many of them can be intrepreted to mean spending time with God and/or appreciating the gifts God has placed in my life.

I'm the first to admit that prayer is difficult for me at times and I wish I could imagine Jesus sitting on my bed talking to me. That doesn't work for me but when I experience God's beauty during a walk, I do know he is talking to me and I express my thankfulness.

We must remember that each of us has different ways of de-stressing our lives and as Alicia indicates, we should not belittle what works for others. May God wants us to learn something from them.
1/19/2012 1:31:57 AM
Guillermo United States
Guillermo
I enjoyed every comment said by all of you.  The Lord has touched my heart in many different ways in my life, many different ways.  I truely believe that this discussion brought up by Amanda was just the Lord's will for us to get involved in Godly conversations within us, His people....and to rejoice in listening to eachother lifting His name up high.  I thank Him for His mercy, for loving me when I was not loved, for adopting me when I was abandoned, for protecting me when no one stood up for me, for soothing my wounds when I was torn by sin and this unjust world.  God is faithful, His love endures forever.  I will wait in Him.  We are His beloved, His chosen, His bride, His children, His friends.  Praised be Him forever.
1/27/2012 11:30:35 AM
Barbara Toney United States
Barbara Toney
I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Thank you for reminding me that God has plans for me; that they are good and filled with hope. You see, I had just been reading all those wonderful stories of people doing great things, and instead of inspiring me which I'm sure was the purpose, only brought on feelings of failure. I feel so lost trying to find His purpose for my life, and feel like I've wasted so much precious time, but I know He won't give up on me and somehow He WILL make things clearer for me and until then He will hold me till I'm strong enough to step out in faith. Thank you sooo much for encouraging me today. God bless you and KLOVE ministry. Barbara