Feb 08 2012

No Sunday Shoes, No Problem

A friend once told me, "the brighter the lipstick, the more a woman’s hurting and trying to cover it up."

There’s no need to cover it up with God.  Like that song says from Pocket Full of Rocks, “Come as you are, all your broken pieces, all your shameful scars.”

I get why you don’t feel comfortable doing that though.  A lot of folks think church is a “museum for the good people instead of a hospital for the broken” (Jefferson Bethke)

I remember as a kid that I had one special pair of shoes just for church, I called them my “Sunday Shoes”.  They went “clickety clak” on the laminate square floor of the children’s church building.  I only got to wear them one day a week, on Sunday.  The day I dressed up and my daddy would wear a suit.

There's no such thing as Sunday Shoes anymore, not even the pastor is wearing a suit, and I honestly think it’s a good thing.  There’s a story in the USAToday about the impact a casual church can have.

I understand the whole reverence thing, and bringing your best for God by dressing up at church.  But, there’s also this opportunity to be casual and come as you are to make it more comfortable for others to do the same.  To make people who don’t own Sunday Shoes or a Suit feel comfortable to visit.

This makes me want to put up a sign on the front doors of every church, “No Sunday Shoes, No Problem”

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (9) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

2/8/2012 12:14:50 PM
Teirrah McNair United States
Teirrah McNair
This is good food for thought. My appearance any day of the week has to be about 'feet shod to spread the gospel of peace'. Ever so grateful that feet like my other body parts are groomed to go wherever the Lord leads us. That is the bottom line.
2/8/2012 12:17:08 PM
Casey United States
Casey
I grew up with those 'Sunday Shoes' as well.  I must admit it was a little weird to me to not wear a dress to church on Sunday mornings, and there are times when I still do.  Today in our church we have a wide variety of clothing.  Some people still wear the Sunday Shoes and suits and others wear jeans and sneakers, but we are all there for the same reason and God doesn't care what we are wearing.
2/8/2012 12:33:51 PM
Dawn Bowman United States
Dawn Bowman
I don't necessarily believe that Amanda. I wear bright red lipstick all the time. Why? Not because I am sad. Because I am happy and want everyone to see it in my smile!!!
2/8/2012 12:58:00 PM
Kayla United States
Kayla
Most churches where I live REQUIRE you to have on your "sunday best" and I have learned from experience by visiting a church like this and wearing somewhat "casual" clothes there, that people in the church will TALK. Needless to say, I never went back to that church. I am comfortable in my small, southern, "casual" church. Some days I dress up, some days I don't. As long as we praise the Lord... what else matters?
2/8/2012 2:07:31 PM
Margaeret United States
Margaeret
The Lord doesn't care what you wear as long as you go to his house and give him some of your time.
2/9/2012 6:09:16 AM
Katherine United States
Katherine
I can understand if you can't afford to have nice clothes for Sunday and of course you should go in the best you have but if you were going to a feast with famous people how would you dress?  For me and my family we may have only one set of nice clothes to wear every Sunday and that is what we do to honor Our King by looking the best we can and preparing ourselves spiritually and dressing in our best to meet with Our King!!!
2/9/2012 8:45:25 AM
Kayla United States
Kayla
My reply to Katherine's question "If you were going to a feast with famous people how would you dress"? I would dress like I always do because I am me and God loves me for who I am, not for what I wear. If you (or someone famous) decides to look down on me because I am not in my best clothes, so be it. God is the only one that matters. We leave all materials ON THIS EARTH, fancy clothes AND casual clothes so I'll take my pick and you can take yours.
2/10/2012 8:33:57 PM
Katie United States
Katie
I'm fine with casual clothes in church. However, I know that I and other women have used casual clothes and a lack of makeup to hide our femininity. As I have experienced God's healing and embraced my womanhood, I have wanted to dress more attractively and wear more makeup. I have allowed myself to receive the positive attention. I am fine with casual clothes in church, but I am concerned that we have made or might make it the new standard of a "good Christian," and still miss what it might hide.
2/14/2012 11:43:09 AM
Jean Goforth United States
Jean Goforth
I don't wear lipstick (or any make-up) at all & it doesn't mean I'm not hurting, because I am.  But God in His infinate wisdom is healing me!  And I'm not hiding my femininity - I just don't care about those kind of things.  As for clothing - sometimes I like to dress up in skirts & heels, sometimes I wear jeans.  Matters not.