Feb 09 2012

Alternate Reality

It seems that people’s Facebook profiles don’t exactly reflect the truth about their life, it’s only the best part.  Their profile pic is the best picture ever taken of themselves, even it was 10 years ago and 20 pounds lighter.

Saw where someone called Facebook,  “your personal PR machine where you sparkle brighter”

What’s wrong with just being real?

I overheard 2 women talking at the park yesterday about how one had 2 separate Facebook accounts. One for her current friends and family where she puts real pictures, and another that's for high school classmates and old boyfriends where she only puts the best pictures of herself, when she was thinner.

Somebody give me one GOOD reason to do that?  Join the discussion on my totally honest Facebook page.

To “practice what I preach” today, I posted a pic I snapped this morning without makeup right after waking up.  I realized I have all these professional photos psted where someone else did my hair and makeup.  It’s not the real me.  That’s the only day I have ever looked that good.

The real me has dark circles under my eyes from lack of sleep, and freckles from too much time in the sun.

I want to be real.  Strong women are comfortable in their own skin.  I may not always feel strong and comfortable in my own skin, but I certainly can try.

Here’s why I think it’s important:  When you’re real and vulnerable about your own imperfections, that’s when others feel comfortable coming to you for help.  That’s your opportunity to tell them where you get your strength from.

I don’t know about you, but I get mine for believing and relying on Jesus Christ.

You can join our Be Real movement by posting your real pictures on my Facebook Page, follow me on Twitter @KLOVEAmanda and make sure you use the hashtag #BeReal

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (9) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

2/9/2012 9:49:45 AM
Ashley United States
Ashley
Having two facebooks sounds nonsensical to me, too.  I try to be as transparent as possible on my facebook.  As far as makeup and hair, I went through a phase where I wore makeup and did my hair, but I never got the makeup color right.  The hair doesn't work if it's windy.  Finally, one day about 15 years ago (I'm 35 now), I just stopped doing either one, other than brushing my hair. Women can go without makeup and still be beautiful.  I've also read that makeup actually ages you quicker--because of your pores, I guess?
2/9/2012 9:55:07 AM
Krysie United States
Krysie
Love it!
2/9/2012 9:56:12 AM
Jamie Havener United States
Jamie Havener
two facebook accounts? living in a fairytale, and not able to face reality. growing older is a blessing from God
2/9/2012 10:28:56 AM
Melissa United States
Melissa
You don't have to look bad to be the "real you" having make up on and your hair done is still you. Enjoy being YOU, especially when its the "best you."
2/9/2012 10:39:51 AM
Rachel United States
Rachel
You know I have always struggled with this in my life. Even though I know I am perfectly and wonderfully made when I step out of the comfort of my home it feels like I have to make myself look prettier to be noticed and I still struggle with it today but then there are days when I have to tell myself the lord has made me the way I am if people can't accept me for being me so be it. So glad you shared something that's been on my heat. Luv ya Amanda Smile
2/9/2012 10:46:49 AM
david mitchell United States
david mitchell
Amanda, you are  amazing and  i think your right  why be something we are know plus god see us  as we are  i want to thank you  for doing this to not be  scared of who you are  and i do not wear makeup  and i try to be me all the time   but anyways i love you  cause  your beautiful soul and your love for god   stay you forevre    your brother in christ  david     ps keep your eyes on jesus
2/9/2012 11:03:15 AM
Michelle Withers United States
Michelle Withers
I have struggled with weight loss since I was in Jr High.  But I was raised with the mentality that you have to like yourself before you can like anyone else.  God has a plan for you no matter what shape, size, or color you are.  He loves us all.  He made us in His image.  So that has always made me want to do better for myself, but not hide who I am.  On my facebook, you will see the real me.  I do not try to be anything but what I am.  And yes people see my flaws everyday.  That's what makes me, me.  I thank God everyday for who I am.  And ask Him to use me for Him.  And Amanda, I listen to your show almost everyday.  I have a job where I drive, so I hae K-Love on at all times.  I feel what you are going through in your personal life.  I have had simular instances in the past.  My daughters are 20 and 15 now, and they have made it ok with God's help through tthe years.  Divorce is not easy on anyone, especially the kids.
2/9/2012 3:42:12 PM
Liz D United States
Liz D
Thank-you Amanda for being brave enough to show us the unmade-up you!  I think you are beautiful!  What makes me admire you the most is hearing it in your honest daily reflections on air and in your posts. I wish I had been that insightful regarding the things of God and His presence when my kids were younger!  Despite the difficulties of divorce I know that God will honor your heart-sensitive mothering shown by your love for Him! You are awesome!  I appreciate you being there during my lonely days...being a laid-off, nearly empty-nester, who is seeking God for the next chapter of her life. Although we may never meet, I consider you a friend. Keep up the great work for His kingdom...and don't change a thing...continue to be yourself...hurts and all!
2/9/2012 4:25:12 PM
Nancy S United States
Nancy S
I am 56, so no spring chicken. I never was a sunbather, I don't smoke or drink & try not to stress out much (depend on God), so I don't look so bad for my age (complexion), but I've gained weight. I never was a beauty, but would love to be slim and firm again, naturally. My hands reflect decades of hard work and my neck (jowls and wrinkles from dry skin) are hereditary.
I post my recent pic. It is, as you say, me. Those who don't want to know me due to looks or age, well, we'd not click anyway. Those who know me love my giving, caring heart, sense of humour, etc.