Feb 22 2012

Exchange Your Ashes for Beauty

"You've got something on your Face."

Hate that.  We’ve all been there.  Walking around not realizing you’ve got something gross on our face, until someone finally points it out. As soon as you discover it, you wipe off the offensive item (sometimes you need a mirror to get it right) and try to walk through your last hour wondering who else saw you while you had that thing on your face.

It’s embarrassing.  Makes others think that we don’t have our act together.

There are a lot of people walking around today with something on their face, but it’s on purpose.  It’s Ash Wednesday

"When the ash mark sits on your forehead we feel marked because, well, we are marked. The ashes designate that we are real sinners and this is something the world refuses to hear. It’s embarrassing to go around town that way on Ash Wednesday, but that’s the point, isn’t it. And then, at the end of the day, do exactly what Jesus says: wash your face.”  ~Rev. Karl Weber

You’re forgiven.

"What does God do with dust and ash?

He grows things out of them.

He lifts people out of them.

He unfairly accepts them in exchange for beauty.

He spits in them and uses the mud to give sight.

He washes them off your feet.

He breathes into them and creates new life."

~~Trevin Waxr

How has God made beauty out of your ashes?  Tell me here or on my Facebook Page.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (19) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

2/22/2012 8:54:06 AM
vicki nelson United States
vicki nelson

What is the name of the book you just talked about, girl with eating diorder and anxiety, My daught has just ben diagnosed with same condition
and is being treated.
2/22/2012 10:04:06 AM
mary m barner United States
mary m barner
Love this.
2/22/2012 10:10:54 AM
spring United States
spring
So I was told that ash Wednesday was a catholic thing is it or is it not for all religion
2/22/2012 10:14:14 AM
Ernest United States
Ernest
@spring: Episcopalians do it too.
2/22/2012 10:44:58 AM
Joel Kern United States
Joel Kern
I too am divorced and am raising 2 teens. I never wanted the divorce and realize that I was partially to blame, but my ex gave up and finalized it. Sometimes it is so hard to have a good attitude and rise above the ashes. I just found out that I have to take off 2 weeks from work without pay. The intense feelings of loneliness, rejection, betrayal and the financial impact are overwhelming sometimes. I struggle with how this will turn out for my good as I wait upon the Lord. Please pray for me and my children.
2/22/2012 11:24:39 AM
Alaina United States
Alaina
to the woman who feels like she is too large to get up and sing. Her voice is a gift from God to touch those of us that can't carry a tune. Music touches me like nothing else and I am so grateful for those that can sing. I have been diagnosed with terminal cancer and I can't tell you how many times I've felt like God has spoken to me through songs. Music is the ultimate form of prayer for me.
2/22/2012 11:35:04 AM
Patricia United States
Patricia
Yes indeed, beauty from the ashes. It's so very humbling for me to walk around with those ashes. It really hits me in the gut, that I am such a sinner but tonight when I wipe clean these ashes from my forehead that is a real symbol of when God washed my original sins away at baptism! I may have been a baby but it just makes me smile to look at those pictures, and also when I got confirmed (renewing of the baptismal seal) it was a great feeling to say for myself "I Believe!" I love my faith! Smile))
2/22/2012 11:55:55 AM
Kim Gustafson United States
Kim Gustafson
Amanda,
Thank you so much for printing Trevor Waxr. I am going to take it to church with me tonight. To God be the glory.
2/22/2012 12:24:36 PM
Janet Elia Sweden
Janet Elia
My intense senses of loneliness, rejection, betrayal and the financial impact are overwhelming sometimes. I struggle with how this will turn out for my good as I wait upon the Lord. Please pray for me and my 4 children.
Yes indeed, beauty from the ashes. It's so very humbling for me to walk around with those ashes. It really hits me in the gut, that I am such a sinner but tonight when I wipe clean these ashes from my forehead that is a real symbol of when God washed my original sins away at baptism! I may have been a baby but it just makes me smile to look at those pictures, and also when I got confirmed (renewing of the baptismal seal) it was a great feeling to say for myself "I Believe and I trust to JESUS !" I love my faith! Smile))
2/22/2012 2:04:26 PM
Cassie United States
Cassie
  You can recieve ashes if you are not Catholic. You just need to attend a mass on Ash Wednesday. Ashes are for anyone who believes in Jesus Christ as their savior. It humbles us to realize that we have all started from dust and from dust we will return. Please look up a local church and attend a mass!
2/22/2012 5:18:06 PM
Chloe Canada
Chloe
I am reminded daily that I am a sinner and love how God's son Jesus was so perfect in every way.  The act of Ash Wednesday is a tradition that is being taught in religious circles and people follow without questioning because it makes us feel good...Do this in remembrance of me?  I think not.
Read your bible and seek the truth.  Seek the Lord for yourself and He will guide you in His ways and help you find a bible teaching church vs. staying with a religious led church.  It's the difference between seeking a real relatinship with Christ vs. following blindly all the rules to follow without questioning even if they are bliblically sound.  God bless you.
2/22/2012 6:55:43 PM
Kristen Bercaw United States
Kristen Bercaw
Love this!  It is like pruning a rose bush.  You cut off the part that you don't like and new, more beautiful parts grow.  The ashes remind us of the parts we can cut away.
2/22/2012 8:53:42 PM
emar bermudes United States
emar bermudes
When I was growing up, I was raised as Catholic and did go through all the rituals including getting "marked" in the forehead. I left the faith as i start to understand and realized that the faith I practiced and all the it does (including this) did not have biblical basis - i did not and still has not found in the Bible that Jesus nor the disciples practice such even after Jesus ascended to heaven.  With all due respect, they do it and they have no idea why except that it is a proclamation of their baseless faith.
As a (born-again) Christian, I don't agree and actually feel offended that a Christian radio site would promote or feature this. I recognize that God has made me a new creature the moment I trusted Jesus as my Lord and Savior - in a way figuratively speaking I rose from the ashes as a new person. Every day is a reminder that with or without the mark in my face, He renews me "out of the ashes".
2/22/2012 9:52:02 PM
Christa Keating United States
Christa Keating
Got my ashes today and have since as long as I can remember... just a good reminder for the beginning of Lent.  Thank you for sharing the wisdom, your words are encouraging, as always!
2/23/2012 3:03:30 AM
Alyce United States
Alyce
I was lost and God breathed new life into my ashes. If it were not for His love, my life would never change for the better.  If it were not for His picking up my ashes, I would never have known true unconditional love, nor capable of learning how to give it in return.  If not for God, I would never have purpose.
2/23/2012 6:34:01 AM
Manuela Ptacek United States
Manuela Ptacek
For Ash Wed. (first day of Lent) I gave up internet & TV.... so today I want to say...THANK you!  I love this and am very happy that K-love took note of something that has been around since ancient times.
  I am sad that Emar does not understand that it is NOT only the Catholic Chruch who does Ashes on Ash Wed.

In the Old Testament Ashes were sprinkled on the head or over the whole body as a sign of mourning and penance.  Receiving ashes on the 1st day of Lent is a practice that dates back to the 5th centruy...by the 11th century it was a universal CHRISTIAN practice.  In recent years many Protestant churches have returned to the use of ashes, even though during the Reformation most Protestant churches eliminated its practice.

I caution those against the Catholic Church about 'throwing the baby out with the bath water".
Remember the Bible has been brought to you by the Catholic church and the holy Monks who wrote it word for word everyday for over 4 years to publish just one Bible.
@Patricia ~ "I believe"  ;~)
2/23/2012 10:18:41 AM
Christina United States
Christina
@emar bermudes...I 100% agree!!
2/23/2012 11:00:53 AM
Amber Barnum United States
Amber Barnum
God has brought me through so much... through the mistakes of my youth, before I knew him. Out of addiction and pain. And now, he is bringing me through the most painful of all, the end of my marriage. My husband left 6 months ago, after he decided that he no longer believed in God and he didn't want to be married. Slowly but surely, I am getting through this darkness. But only because God is carrying me every step of the way.
2/23/2012 6:42:38 PM
Chloe Canada
Chloe
The last thing Jesus came to do was bring forth another religion into this world - He was not about religion or rituals and made that very clear all throughout the New Testament...Accuracy in the historical events seem iffy but it's nice that we can shed some light and seek to find the truth.  It is indeed an amazing journey but not always an easy one when we are faced with letting go of what we've been passing along from generation to generation.