Mar 02 2012

New Strength

When you exercise there’s that half way point on your walk or your run that you’re getting tired and your brain tells you to give up, quit early, turn around.

But, if you just tap into your inner strength and push through that half way point, you exhaust your muscles, and the next day they’re stronger for it.

Maybe you feel like this too, that that’s story of my life.  Constantly feeling like you are running up hill and trying to find new strength to get through the day.

I remember vividly the day my therapist said this to me.  “In 6 months, your life will look completely different.”

After I had faced the toughest year of my life and made a decision to move across the country and start over with my 3 children.

I’m there now.  I’ve made it.  My life is completely different.  The initial excitement of the fresh new start, the new home, the new job has leveled off now.  We’re starting to get in a routine.  And every day I ask God for new strength.

I could have run back home into the welcoming arms of family halfway through this adventure I’m on.  That was an option I pursued.  It would have been much easier to have the help and companionship, but God wanted something different. He wanted me to give me new strength.

I was at the halfway point of my life adventure, and instead of turning around I kept going forward.  I admit to praying for a “knight in shining armor” to come and save me from it all.  Turns out, I had that knight in shining armor all along.

And every morning I pray to Him and ask for new strength to keep moving forward and find joy in the process.

“Those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.  They’ll soar on wings as eagles, run and not grow weary, walk and not faint.” - Isaiah 40:31

Would love to know about a time in your life where God gave you new strength to move forward in life...

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (17) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/2/2012 10:55:42 AM
Tori United States
Tori
It's funny that you wrote this post (and by "funny" I mean that I don't believe in coincidences, and that this was totally a God thing)... but I am actually getting new strength right now. I am in nursing school and this last year has been particularly hard on me, especially this last semester. I've had some problems in clinical, and my professors were thinking about moving me, but a few days ago some things worked out in a way I never thought they would. Tomorrow, I will go back, and I will have the new strength that God has given me to succeed. I've been thanking Him non-stop for working this out even better than I could!!!
3/2/2012 11:20:36 AM
Tammi United States
Tammi
Thank you for these words of encouragement.  Just lately in fact I have been struggling, not outwardly, but inwardly with loneliness.  About 5 years ago my husband left me after almost 15 years of marriage, he turned away from God too.  I have my ups and downs, but lately I had been feeling like I just can't do it alone anymore.  To add to it, a very good friend (who could have been more than "just a friend") rejected me too.  My heart has been so broken missing my friend.  I cannot say I am "cured" at this point, but I ask for your prayers.  I know God wants me to lean on him at this point, like I always have.  It is just so hard when you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel.  But we walk by faith and not by sight.  I just need daily strength to make it through.  I may be halfway there at the point.  I know I need to press on.  Please pray...
3/2/2012 11:27:38 AM
Laurie H. United States
Laurie H.
Oh, good one, Amanda!
God gave me new strength in my marriage. We will celebrate our 10th anniversary this year, but about 5 years ago, I didn't think we were going to make it. I married a man with 3 kids and life was difficult, to say the least. We struggled with part-time parenting, triangulation with his ex, and the addition of our son, Sam, who was a year old at the time. I felt like I was at the end of my rope - a feeling that was far too familiar in our marriage. I cried out to God in absolute desperation - something I had done numerous times in the first 5 years of our marriage. I begged God to validate our marriage, give me hope that we would make it through our trials and tribulations. That's when we saw Fireproof and it changed our lives. I started to Love Dare on my own. That's when God showed me that our marriage wasn't about me and what I needed. It was about God putting us together for a purpose and I was to obey Him and stay with my husband. That's when God showed me that, in accusing my husband of being completely selfish and unloving, I was being just that: selfish and unloving. That's when God granted me new strength...and began healing both of us. My husband is now the best friend I always wanted, and then some. I know I won't always feel this way. God loves us too much to leave us where we are. We must grow - God requires it. But I can look back and remember that He will always give us new strength when we ask.
3/2/2012 11:30:32 AM
Joan United States
Joan
Inner God strenght is something I was searching for for years.... wonder why I was so stressed out and depressed. While my life is FULL of things that keep me on my knees I never truely let go and gave it to God. My mind would constantly work the problem over and over, formulating my solutions. One day I just said God I can't do this if your not with me and WOW thats what He was waiting for for me to let go. Most the "things in my life are there still but really and truely God is working them out because I let go.
3/2/2012 11:30:36 AM
Shauna Riley United States
Shauna Riley
Hi Amanda,  You know I have had a thing in my head about the fairy tale about Prince charming and him going in a saving the Princess (self) and then ridin off into the sunset.. Well I think they should revise it.. It's miss-leading. & I feel it install's fear.. I know for a Fact that I have in my Life have waited for the "one" to show up. My little story is that I was in a relationship for 10yr 3 days and he left one night.. It wrecked me. but 2 months prior to getting left. I took on a challenge from my spiritual parents to read a daily dev. Jesus calling in the mornin. To celebrate the Light. My whole point is that I Had a Knight in shinning Armor rescue Me.. It was Jesus.. If I wouldn't of listened to that small/soft Gentle voice. I wouldn't be Where I am Today. I am Not who I was.. Thank's to Him.
3/2/2012 11:34:55 AM
Sandy Conners United States
Sandy Conners
Fourteen years ago I too left my family on the East Coast and moved to Northern California, just me and my 4 year old son.  It was the beginning of a new relationship with my Savior.  He met me every step of the way and still does today.  Fourteen years later it's still just me and my son and thinking back on some of my struggles I now see how the Lord was there guiding me and encouraging me and giving me new strength to continue each day.  The Lord reminds me constantly He is the father to the fatherless.  My son has never met his dad.  His dad left me when I was 8 months pregnant and only 3 years into our marriage.  It devastated me to the point that I never even wanted to speak to another male species again; however, I overcame that with the Lord's help and have many wonderful male friends today who are solid Christians.  Recently I wondered why the Lord hadn't brought someone special into my life after all I had been through and I felt a small whisper tell me, “There is nothing wrong with you.  You were fearfully and wonderfully made.  There is nothing you need to fix or change about you.  I love you just the way you are.  Trust me and I will give you the desires of your heart.  I have been protecting your heart and saving you for just the right one as you asked.”  Today at age 50 I'm still waiting on the Lord and believe that if I keep my trust in Him He will give me the desires of my heart as He promised.  I know that the Lord has been the head of my home as my son, now a senior in high school at age 18, has decided he wants to be a Youth Pastor.  He has a huge heart for the things of the Lord and I know that God reached out to him and touched his heart.  It was so worth going through everything I went through to see the end result of my son serving and honoring the Lord.  I want to encourage you to focus on your kids and continue to serve the Lord as you are.  You are an inspiration to me.  I love listening to you each day!  Thank you for sharing such a big part of your heart!
3/2/2012 11:41:29 AM
Liz United States
Liz
Hi, Amanda.  I can relate to what you are saying. I am at a point in my life where I am starting over too, but not in the same way. In the last two years I have lost both parents, my job, another family member to cancer and had my only daughter move out of state and recently got married.  God is always used whatever has happened in my life, but right now it is hard to trust Him with unknown territory.  It is not always easy emotionally with the Big 50 birthday staring me in the face in three days. I am practically an empty nester....and miss my adult kids, a son still in college, one very distant, and my only daughter who is now married and living 4.5 hours away. I still have not found a job, struggle in a distant marriage, and find myself wondering what my value and place is in the world now. Most of the last 25 years have been spent in all the mom roles and as a wife.   What gets me through the darkest days when depression looms and the ememy tries to convince me that I am no longer valuable is knowing from Scripture that God's thoughts are good towards me continually and outnumber the grains of sand! I also know that thankfully, He is not finished with me yet!  With the help of a sister in Christ who sees God on the move in my life...even in the hard times, I have begun to walk through fears of failure and inadequacy into obedience to the call of God in even the smallest of ways.  I have decided to really learn to keep company with God daily through prayer and study of His Word and leave the signifigance of what I do and the results in His hands. I am coming to realize that my deep desire is to leave a legacy of faith, testifying to God's working through a sinner like me to everyone I know now and those God has yet to bring across my path. I cannot allow the expectations of man regarding my earning potential, my looks, my intellect, my bank account, my experiences, (etc.) define me! I am a unique creation of the God of the Universe who loves and accepts me. Crying out to Him and remembering that He is always with me gives me the new strength you spoke about to keep going on. And when I think I cannot go another step...often I look back and see that I made it through because God carried me!  I just have to remember to run into His always open arms! Blessing to you Amanda!  I love your tender heart for God and your blog.
3/2/2012 11:58:00 AM
Jennifer Satterlee United States
Jennifer Satterlee
Hi Amanda,
I just wanted to say thank you for posting and talking about your struggles, as they are a daily encouragement for me and something that came in the exact right time of my life.  I have recently been divorced from my second husband, both marriages failed due to adultery and struggles with keeping God at the center of marriage.  I believe through obedience and patience God has delivered me from both of those situations, two marriages that were entirely different but taught me a lot of lessons about myself, my relationships with people and my relationship with God.  It's been really difficult, especially after being in this situation twice, to not look at myself and think there is something wrong with me.  Sure, I had a part in both marriages but I can only be responsible for seeking God's guidance in things that I can change and do better about so that I don't have to go through this again.  I discovered something about myself that was revolutionary through this process.  I was looking for that Knight In Shining Armor, but I was placing men at that place in my life when really that spot belongs to God alone.  Learning to rely on him instead of relationships to rescue me has taught me so much about His faithfulness and provision and how God's character is so much deeper than we often realize.  I've learned a lot about patience, about knowing who I am in Christ and finding my worth in Him.  I've learned about obedience and sacrifice and that God truly does have a good plan for our lives if we are willing to follow Him.  He has provided for all of mine and my children's needs at exactly the perfect time in the perfect way.  I wouldn't change a day of it, and I hope that in several months from now I can look back like you did and be able to use my struggles as an example for people of how God keeps his promises.  And the best part about it is, He makes everything new.

Thanks so much for sharing your story,

Jennifer
3/2/2012 12:00:21 PM
Scott United States
Scott
Yes inner strength is important, it is how we draw closer to God.  It is funny (not really) how I took up running just a year before my wife left me for someone else.  God helped me through running get through this but also helped me grow closer to God and understand Him better.  This was 18 years ago and I have since been blessed to be married again and I am also greatful she did not move with my son and daughter so I was able to have a close relationship with them.  I am still running and drawing closer in my relationship with God.
3/2/2012 1:09:36 PM
J United States
J
Thanks Amanda,  I really needed that so much!!!
3/2/2012 9:02:35 PM
patty yates United States
patty yates
Amanda i absolutely love youre show on the midle of the day i look forward everyday to listen it to the things u had gonne trough on youre life make feel like we are on the same page i got divorced 3 years ago and have two daughters so i understand exactly how youre life is just like mine we are sensitive women that want to live for god and stay close to him and teach our kids and others about him and his love,God bless u and youre children i enjoy youre show so much Smile
3/3/2012 5:21:15 AM
Cassie United States
Cassie
Amanda, I'm another one who doesn't believe in coincidence. K-Love just came to our city this week. I was listening to your show...get this, on my way home from my first therapy session. My husband of 12 years and I are divorcing, and as I was leaving, she remarked to me that this is my fresh start. Thank you for being the hands of Jesus reaching out to me to confirm that I'm making a move in the right direction for myself and my three kids.
3/3/2012 10:01:43 AM
Kyle Powell United States
Kyle Powell
Hi I'm Kyle my sister told me about your station and I love your music and I'm going through a Tuff break up and  pray 4 me if you would and keep playing these beautiful songs. I want 2 know if play country   music. I want 2 hear I'm only Jesus by Tim Mcgraw
3/3/2012 10:10:24 AM
Kyle Powell United States
Kyle Powell
My sister told me about this station and I love it these beautiful song. Please pray for me I'm going through a really bad break up I'm trying too get closer to god and keep playing your song they help me. Do you play country music? I want you to play I'm only Jesus by Tim Mcgraw
3/3/2012 10:11:51 AM
Kyle Powell United States
Kyle Powell
Please write me back
3/6/2012 9:24:07 AM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
This is beautiful and has given me a fresh encouragement today. Thank you, Amanda!

Jen
3/6/2012 9:33:24 PM
Debby United States
Debby
I could not agree more.  Back in the 90's I had gone in for a physical.  Was now a single mom.  The doc asked if I wanted an certain test done and I said "if my insurance covers it, Sure what could it hurt"  A week later I got a call from my doc, he wanted me to come in.  I learned that day that my life would change forever.  My mother told me "God never gives you more then you can handle" I told her I really thought he messed up this time.  I am here to tell you--coming up on 16 years later--I am doing great.  I am re-married and have another child.  I am thankful for God allowing me to get this illness.  He knew this is what it was going to take to open my eyes.  But here is the cool part of the story--that night I learned I would never get better...I dropped to my knees in my hallway, I cried and yelled out "WHY ME GOD!" In a split second I heard in my head "why not you" and I got this calm feeling that I have never ever felt before in my whole life.  And just like that, I never shed another tear over it.  I was done.  I know that God was with me in that hallway that night.  He was just waiting for me to cry out to him so he could hold me.  I am so thankful