May 10 2012

Letter from a Mother to a Daughter

It happens everyday, you get one of those emails or you see a Facebook post of a nice little inspirational quote or a picture that you share on your page.  You write something like…"this is the best thing ever" really better then yesterday when I said that inspirational thing was the best thing ever."  But, really this, was the best thing I've seen in a whileI wanted to share it with you.  I posted it on my mom's Facebook page...

Letter from a Mother to her child:

"My Dear, the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don’t interrupt to say: “You said the same thing a minute ago”... Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story night after night until you would fall asleep. When I don’t want to take a bath, don’t be mad and don’t embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl? When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don’t look at me that way... remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life’s issues every day... the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If I occasionaly lose track of what we’re talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can’t, don’t be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you. And when my old, tired legs don’t let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked. When those days come, don’t feel sad... just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love. I’ll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I’ve always had for you, I just want to say, I love you.

Happy Mother's Day!

By Spring in the Air

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (22) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

5/10/2012 8:17:59 AM
Pilo Briseno United States
Pilo Briseno
Wow... all i can say is THANK YOU for sharing this on air... i could not help but burst into tears as you read this... it wuz exactly wut i needed and didnt even realize it... my grandmother raised me and as I visit her its hard for me to see her go threw alzheimers... but this just made me open my eyes to whats important... thank you GOD BLESS you.
5/10/2012 8:26:12 AM
Melanie Kirland United States
Melanie Kirland
Precious........and so worthy of repeating.....thank you for sharing!  We can "just be"......as life goes and grows on!
5/10/2012 8:29:38 AM
Vanessa M United States
Vanessa M
Ah, I started crying even before you read this over the air.  I just love my mom so much.  Mothers everywhere are some of the most determined, selfless, courageous, and faithful spirits.  Jesus gave me my son and I am so blessed to be a mom and understand that "enlightenment" that comes when suddenly you appreciate all that your own mother did for you.  It was through Him and no other way.  Thank you.  Everything good comes from the Lord.
5/10/2012 8:38:13 AM
Heather N United States
Heather N
Thanks for posting this.  We are currently going through this with our mom.  I am going to send this to my sister since she is not on Facebook.  We all need to be reminded about this.  Thank you!
5/10/2012 8:41:07 AM
Ron Provencal United States
Ron Provencal
Amanda,

Thank you so much for sharing this with all your listeners today. I couldn't help but cry as you read it. It is an inspirational piece, especially for those who do have a Mom who is getting older and is starting to experience similar episodes. We so often forget all our Mom's did for us. I will use this as a source of strength and love from this day forward each and every time I am with my Mom, and truly lift up prayers of joy and thankfulness for every minute I am with her... because soon enough she will be with our Savior and I will miss those times we shared together, but I will have the memories of the cool times we had until the end! I can't wait to share this with my congregation this Sunday, Mother's Day, as my call to worship, in lieu of a scripture passage. THANKS AGAIN!! Smile

With the love of my savior,
Ron Provencal
Cranston, RI
5/10/2012 8:46:57 AM
Amanda Radford United States
Amanda Radford
This is heartbreaking as the tears run down my face. This is what I experienced with my mother last summer and.in the early fall when God called her home. I can remember gettin upset because she couldnt talk to me in the end. I loved hthen and will always. If you still have your mom take this to heart and cherish your mom, before you know it shell too be gone.
5/10/2012 9:03:41 AM
Kelly Steele United States
Kelly Steele
I never got to see my mom Get Old she went home to Jesusu at a young age but I work with the elderly taking care of their needs and in my multiple years I have discovered that all they really want is LOVE AND RESPECT AND TO KNOW YOU ARE THERE NO MATTER WHAT so go be CHILDREN OF GOD and love some one today no matter how bad you feel it will change you I know been there
5/10/2012 9:12:11 AM
Amanda R United States
Amanda R
thankyou so much for posting this.my Grandmother has Alzheimer's disease. its so new for my family sometimes its so hard for them to have patients for her. she doesn't understand whats going on around her. she is almost like a child. its hard for her children to see her like this, my grandmother was so well rounded. she did everything from getting up in the morning, making breakfast, and going to work to coming home making dinner and getting all 5 children in bed on time.now my family is taking care of her. this really opened my eyes thank you so much
5/10/2012 9:24:01 AM
Megan Lynn Apple United States
Megan Lynn Apple
Thank you for this letter.  It brought me to tears for many reasons...  I've promised myself to be ever mindful of this poignant message.  Time ticks by all too quickly...
5/10/2012 9:48:05 AM
Christine United States
Christine
Oh my goodness what a blessing this was to hear.  Thank you for reading this I was in my car and could not wait to tell you how blessed I was.  Yes, tears came to my eyes as these are many mothers thoughts especially mine.  My mother is in heaven and I pray she has heard this and weeps with being blessed again not just by God himself but through others who know him.  Thank you father God for providing this letter through K-Love.  K-Love abundant blessings to you and Gods hear in you.  I called in and thanked someone while I was walking my dogs I could not just let it be my blessing.  I am sending this to many mothers that I know. (:
5/10/2012 9:49:40 AM
cynthia United States
cynthia
Thank you.
My strong, vibrant, beautiful and wise Mother is almost 90, and this year has begun to exhibit these characteristics with rapidly-increasing frequency.  It's gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, and frustrating.
But of course, all those things are about me.
This 'letter' is a ginormous reminder that God placed each of us in the other's life for just a time as this, and I am reminded to thank Jesus for the privilege of ministering to my precious Mother during these important days of her (and hence my) life.  What a shame it would be to miss the opportunity to not only accommodate, but bless her, all the while growing my own life in Him.
Thank you for once again, speaking into my life and the lives of all those to whom KLOVE 'pastors,' each day .
cynthia
5/10/2012 10:29:09 AM
Pam Shaw United States
Pam Shaw
This has been circulating on Facebook now for over a week.....it is an amazing letter. I too went thru this with my Mother. She has been gone now for 4yrs. But I will be going thru the same thing with my Dad soon as his health continues to go down hill! Thank you for sharing it with all your listeners! God used me helping my Parents as a reminder to MY children also....they are already saying how they will take care of us when we get old!
5/10/2012 11:26:20 AM
aimee lippert United States
aimee lippert
I love this letter it made me see through my mothers and grandmothers eyes, i needed that this mothers day! thank you so much klove!
5/10/2012 12:00:59 PM
Susan Brashears United States
Susan Brashears
That so beautiful and I also cried through it, makes me know what my mom is going through at times. Whoever wrote that was so very smart. God is my rock and my strength.
5/10/2012 1:06:32 PM
Terry Kriete United States
Terry Kriete
I'm taking a trip from Seymour IN to Orlando FL. Where are the K Love stations between there? I'll be going thru Nashville & Atlanta as well.. Thanks!!!

ps.. Love your stations!!! Listen everyday to and from work!!!! God Bless!!!!
5/10/2012 5:10:39 PM
Vicki United States
Vicki
THANK-YOU SOOO very much for sharing this and reading it over the air.  My Mom has been going through some health problems for over 3 yrs and it has taken a toll on her body (and mind).  Recently, I had to make the hard decision to place Mom on Hospice Care. She currently lives in an assisted living facility. I know that she will be getting the extra care - which she soo needs right now.  I know that God has His arms around her and He will be with me as I go through this with Mom. God is indeed my Rock and Strength !!
5/10/2012 6:51:17 PM
Linda United States
Linda
It is a lovely letter one I've read before. As I read it again I pause to think how I do get frustrated with mom mom for some of those things, she repeats things, can't walk as well, but it's not because of old age. She can't walk as well because she didn't take care of herself is is severely overweight. She repeats things over and over because she doesn't interact on a personal level. SO she has a very limited number of things she can say. This letter makes me sad because I wish I had a mother who had read stories to me, had taught me how to deal with life's issues, had been a mother as God intended. But she didn't. It makes it very hard for me to be understanding of her. So the Lord has much to work on with me. To him be the glory though.
5/10/2012 8:53:59 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
Going through some of these issues right now with my mom, as she has suffered a few TIA's, that over time has stole part of her former person, if you will, that was happier, willing and social. She has always been headstrong and fiercely independent. I applaud her for these, but in recent times they have become barriers between us, grandkids and friends. It is difficult to see these cruel changes take over. I pray that God helps me to understand and appreciate her for all that she is and was no matter what... even though I may get frustrated with her stubbornness and unwillingness. I remind myself that this is partly the stroke.
I can see that there are several other women that are going through similar circumstances and that gives me strength and assurance that my emotions are not unreasonable to feel.
My mom has done so much for me but this isn't a contest on who has done more for the other. I love her, respect her, and cherish her even though there are things about her I do not understand or appreciate etc... smoking in bed in my house and the sharp-tongued remarks.
Thank you for posting this as it will be a reminder for me to be more patient, more compassionate, more understanding, less frustrated and to realize that there isn't an adjustment dial on her to change her attitude.
God has been patient with me, I shall be with her.

5/11/2012 1:45:11 PM
Sam United States
Sam
Thank you for sharing as I am in the situation of care giving for my mother.  This letter says it all and I plan on sharing as I preach Sunday in church.  I pray I will make it through the reading.  Bless all of you.
5/12/2012 2:55:48 PM
Monica Hartjen United States
Monica Hartjen
I am printing these and placing them at the front desk of the nursing home where I work by the sign in sheet! Smile Perfect place for children to be reminded of this!
5/12/2012 10:26:03 PM
Rose Padier United States
Rose Padier
Thank you so much for sharing this story. I have been in tears and of course we know that is my guilt. I was not ready for what is happening in my moms body and mind. And now I can look at it as I O U mom for the woman you have helped me become. NO MATTER WHAT!!! From now on I will read this over and over again until I can cope with these horrible things she is going through and remember to make each day a smiling one for her. No more arguing, NO MORE of anything that is listed above! Because I did forget all the wonderful things she has taught me and did for me. God I am so sorry that I have let these things over power me and the way she raised me. Please give me patience for all the above situations we are going through. I want her to be proud of me and not angry because I am constantly trying to get her to do what I think is good for her. You know the battle I am fighting. I surrender it all to you this very minute Lord. For without you I wouldn't be here for her. Thank you for everything you have given me and the things you have not. Thank you for bringing me to this site tonight. BLESS ALL OF YOU WHO ARE GOING THROUGH THE THINGS IN THE LETTER ABOVE.
5/14/2012 1:57:08 PM
SHAWN United States
SHAWN
DEAR AMANDA

ALL I COULD SAY WOWOWOW.....AND THANK YOU FOR THE REMINDER i have a mom who is 84years old and some time i forget ....as of today forgive lord and give the patient and the understand and help not to be   fast to react and love ...this just an eye opener wowow never ever thought about .dear amanda thank you for the eye open and the encouraging way to check our self i am in a real awaking