Jun 08 2012

Real Rest

You hear it a lot, especially by church people…

Don’t worry.

You know that verse in the bible that says “Be Anxious for nothing.”

I would like to know how.  I know it’s not good to worry, I just don’t

know how to stop.  I am a mother.

My 3 kids are leaving next week to be with their Dad for 6 weeks over

their summer vacation.  It’s good they need that time, but I worry

about them, And, I don’t know who I am without them.

Then I read this today, and it helped…I don’t know maybe if you’re

worrying too it can help you…I think it’s about changing what you’re

focusing on…kind of like changing the channel on your TV.

“The first step in letting God direct your life is letting go of

worries, concerns, and frustrations.  Release what you’ve been

fretting over, what has consumed your thoughts and drained your

energy.”  (yeah I’m there)

Focus your thoughts on God and on the sanctuary of hope, peace, power,

and potential within you.”

Reminds me of Matthew 11:29…love the paraphrase …from The Message

Matthew 11:29-30

The Message (MSG)

28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me.

Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to

take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it.

Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or

ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live

freely and lightly."

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (15) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/8/2012 12:51:11 PM
jonathan d steinfort United States
jonathan d steinfort
hi

amanda carroll i like klove and you talk god is good

so can you email me steinfortjonathan@yahoo.com and facebook
6/8/2012 12:51:54 PM
Jenni United States
Jenni
Amanda, I know what it is like not having kids with you during the summer break. I liked that version of the verses you wrote! Boy I wish I had that when I was a single Mom for 7 years. Keep resting in God's hand! I use to listen to you on WFTS. Miss hearing about you!
6/8/2012 12:52:43 PM
Jenni United States
Jenni
6/8/2012 9:22:01 PM
Diana Mccomish United States
Diana Mccomish
Hi Amanda,
I am a single mom to and I know how hard it is to let the kids go with thier dad. I sent my daugther off with her dad for the whole month of June. I worry about her but I have that god will bring her back safe to me. I listen to you all the time I work at a Christian daycare in San antonio..I love listening to your show. God Bless you and enjoy your time alone.
6/9/2012 12:40:10 AM
Alice United States
Alice
I know it will be hard for you to be away from your children but you will make it. I have been down that road many years ago and it IS hard to be away fmro them so long. Of course you are concerned as a mother but I would say to you that God IS in control. Before they left He already had a plan for you and them in this time period. He will show you the woman you are away from them which will in turn make you a better mother when they return. You will miss them terrilbly but look to the time you have to be with Jesus and REST in His care...for you and your children. He is faithful!!!
6/9/2012 10:59:38 AM
Fran United States
Fran
Amanda, I always identify with your comments about being a single parent.  My children were 2 and 3 when their dad left.  Within 2 years of our divorce, he moved two states away.  I attended college fulltime and worked halftime in those years.  You have no idea how many times I stood on His promise in Joshua 1:5-  I will not fail thee nor forsake thee.  I taped to my bathroom mirror to constantly remind me.  In summers, my children often spent a month with my mom in California and a month with their dad in Washington.  I used that time alone to celebrate me by sleeping in, staying up late, meeting friends and taking extra college courses that I did not have to hire a sitter for. I tried so hard to make the best of that time.  Please do some things for yourself while you are alone.  I am praying for your peace and your joy in JHN.  love,  Fran
6/9/2012 11:58:46 AM
Alexis United States
Alexis
I would like to know HOW to stop worrying too!

People throw the Scripture at you like it's a quick fix and it's not that simple. It's a process!
6/9/2012 12:30:21 PM
Wayne United States
Wayne
I have to say Amanda...you are truly an amazing person and an inspiration to woman-kind everywhere!!!

Yours in Christ,

Wayne
6/9/2012 12:39:21 PM
Wayne United States
Wayne
Well...I'll try again...if this posts twice...my bad?? LOL

Anyway...as I was saying...
Amanda...you are one truly amazing person, and an
asset to woman-kind everywhere!

Yours In Christ...

Wayne
6/9/2012 1:49:51 PM
Travis Ihde United States
Travis Ihde
Like to request a song because i heard it for the first time yesterday and I loved it. The song really
lifted me up and would like to hear more of it the Song is Me without You (Telemitry Remix) by tobymac
6/10/2012 2:35:54 AM
Celia United States
Celia
Worry about nothing, pray about EVERYTHING. He is always there to carry us through and we need only ask.  What's better than that? Nothing. We Praise You Lord!
6/11/2012 9:06:42 AM
Steve United States
Steve
"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength."

Corrie Ten Boom
6/11/2012 9:14:47 AM
Steve United States
Steve
"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength."

Corrie Ten Boom
6/12/2012 2:09:56 PM
test United States
test
Sorry, security testing, you can remove this message

'
"
OR
<<script><test
6/13/2012 8:02:24 AM
kevin United States
kevin
Your perspective is always complete and christ lead ...and worrie some because you do but it sounds like you every thing right where it should be In Gods hands .your wittness is good have a blessed summer