Aug 13 2012

Unglued: Your Labels

You’ve probably heard the song,  “You Are More” by Tenth Avenue North.  Love the lyric, “you are more than the sum of your past mistakes, you are more than the problems you create, you’ve been remade”

Love how that song, completely removes the labels you put on yourself when you look in the mirror.  Maybe you don’t like what you see on the outside, or the inside.

I’m reading this book Unglued by Lysa Terkheurst.  She wrote about how those labels we put on ourselves, can cause us to come unglued.  You can win it today by telling us what makes you come unglued.

She writes, "the labels can imprison us and are hard to escape. I am angry, frustrated, screamer, stuffer, just like my mother, wreck, people pleaser, jerk, insecure, unglued. All lies meant to tear you down.   When you define yourself as these things, your emotions get the best of you. Make you short-tempered and off kilter.”

I started writing in the margins of my book about the labels that I put on myself, that cause me to come unglued.  My labels: Single Mom.  Failure. Abandoned.

But the only label that matters when you look in the mirror, is that you are a child of God.

Lysa writes about one of her favorite children's books, Max Lucado’s  “You Are Special.” In it the characters are labeled with dots others have stuck on them. The aha and freeing moment in the story comes when someone tells a character that doesn’t like his dots:

“They only stick if you let them.”

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (7) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

8/13/2012 11:31:26 AM
Peggy Newman United States
Peggy Newman
My insecurities. I'm my own worse enemy. I can tear myself down better that any one else ever could. A constant battle in my mind.
8/13/2012 11:36:03 AM
Shawna Brown United States
Shawna Brown
I just want to say thank you for what you shared today. I was driving home for lunch and heard you talking about what makes you come unglued. You were talking about how we can't always control the situations that we are thrown into. You mentioned the single mom and failure label. I have never stopped to think about anything other than the situation I was placed in. You are so right..... I need to focus on what I am in God's eyes. I so often find myself dwelling on what those around me think or feel towards me. Thank you for reminding me that even though I may come unglued, I can let God's love provide me with the keep it all togetherness lol. Shawna
8/13/2012 11:49:34 AM
Brian United States
Brian
Amanda,

Although I don't know you personally, "failure" is certainly not a word I could use to describle you.  You are a beautiful child of God.  Thank you for being you.

Brian
8/13/2012 7:16:25 PM
Melissa Fritsche United States
Melissa Fritsche
Amanda, I just want to say "YOU ARE SPECIAL" Smile Having been on a similar journey, I am proud of you as you have chosen to stand tall in Him and are pouring your legacy in your three little sunshines.  He makes all the difference in how we walk out our life's journey.  in Him, Melissa
8/14/2012 9:37:08 AM
Amanda United States
Amanda
Thank you my friends!!!  I'm so thankful for all that God has provided for my sunshines and I.
8/15/2012 10:28:32 AM
Karen Francis United States
Karen Francis
Amanda, You are beautiful & I know it's not easy being a single mom. My daughter will be 24 years old next month & my son just turned 19 in July. I've been a single mom for a little over 10 years. Their Dad has MS and even before he left us to go to live with his family & we ended up divorced, as his conditioned worsened, I gradually picked up more responsibilities, and became more & more a single Mom.

I love what Lisa said about.
"Bad moments don't make bad moms." Too often we let those bad moments define us, and the same principle can be applied to our work situations-bad moments do not define us at work.

I tend to be a people pleaser & really have to watch out for that. And yes, I sometimes take on too much because I don't want to make people get mad at me if I say no, or lay the guilt trip on me. I liked what was said that when we don't say no when we're supposed to, we cheat others out of their assignment (rob or steal).

I used to work for an employer who came unglued a lot, and it was very stressful, whether I said something back in the right time or right way didn't matter. Anyway, that job ended 2 years ago, and after 18 months unemployment, I have a new and better job. I've been at my current job for 6 months, and it's a breath of fresh air. We're all Christians and even when we disagree, we can handle it the right way, less ungluing.

I have a math seminar the same night as the webcast, but it's before the webcast. Along with work, I'm going to school for my 2nd Associates degree through Kaplan University (online), so that keeps me busy. I definitely plan on tuning in. By the way, love your name, my daughter's name is Amanda.

BE Blessed!

-Karen
8/18/2012 5:42:10 PM
Sara United States
Sara
I just ordered the book. Thank you Amanda for sharing...I am on a heartbreaking journey right now and I think this book may be a great help.