Oct 22 2013

The Living Word Then....The Living Word Now

You might think it’s an old dusty book with 2,000 year old stories that don't apply to our lives today.

I disagree. The Bible is a living bible, with stories that relate to today, to 5 minutes ago.

Actually for me it was Saturday. My ex-husband came to visit the sunshines (our 3 kids), and brought his girlfriend. We were all sitting on the sidelines of my son’s soccer game pretending that it was normal. It didn’t feel normal. I was so uncomfortable. It felt like everyone was staring and judging, and it was everything in me not to say out-loud what really had happened, and was going through my mind. I kept thinking, not fair! this isn't right! I was having a 2-year-old-style tantrum inside my head.

Then, I was reading in my bible about a woman… who was judged by so many people for her sin, and she just sat down at Jesus’ feet and washed him with her tears.

Jesus said, “Look at this woman kneeling here. When I entered your home, you didn’t offer me water to wash the dust from my feet, but she has washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You didn’t greet me with a kiss, but from the time I first came in, she has not stopped kissing my feet. You neglected the courtesy of olive oil to anoint my head, but she has anointed my feet with rare perfume. I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.” Then Jesus said to the woman, “Your sins are forgiven.” The men at the table said among themselves, “Who is this man, that he goes around forgiving sins?" And Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace." ( Luke 7:44-50 NLT)

Maybe I need to do some more reading...

10/22/2013 11:08:44 AM
Kim United States
Kim
I have had similar situations and I have to say you have it hard.  The best part of this is the fact that all can be made perfect by the love of Christ.  I have been struggling here for years and it is people like you who have helped me learn and love.  Keep up the good fight!
10/22/2013 12:28:46 PM
Tonia United States
Tonia
I have soooo been there too!!I LOVE your stories, they are so REAL...
10/22/2013 6:40:13 PM
Sarah United States
Sarah
Thank you for sharing this, Amanda. I can relate greatly to your story and constantly struggle with feeling unfairly judged for being a divorced single mom - something I never thought I would be nor ever would have chosen. I am uncomfortable in so many situations and want to explain the whole ugly and painful story, but know I can't. I want to feel normal and not like an outcast. Thank you for reminding me that my focus needs to remain on God and that His opinion of me is all that truly matters. What you are doing with your life is a huge encouragement to me that I can still have a purpose and future even as a single mom.
10/22/2013 9:05:33 PM
Brooke United States
Brooke
I heard you talking about this on the radio today, but got interrupted by the kids and didn't hear it all.  So glad I found this post so I could hear the whole story.  I am so glad you are as open as you are with your listeners, as I too am a single mom and have days I struggle with my ex being with someone else (especially since it is someone we both know).  I try and let it go and know that God will deal with them, but can't help but feel like you with having your internal temper tantrum!  Thanks for sharing!  May God Bless you and your beautiful children.
10/23/2013 7:30:56 AM
Jeff United States
Jeff
Did you know that every time one of God's children cry Jesus sends an angel to comfort them. Also he counts the tears !
10/24/2013 10:30:53 PM
David United States
David
Feb 2003 my wife announced just before church that she was leaving with my 7 year old daughter and 10 year old son and I was to pay her $1200 a month plus all the other expenses. I told her she could leave but my kids would always stay with me.

She traveled the world and did as she pleased, life is too short to waste your time believing in a make believe God. I took the kids to a Christian school until mom had gotten the kids to hate anything I suggested. She took us to court often, costing me all my 401k and job and money. I won the kids but they were indoctrinated by their mom with their every other weekend visits and holiday trips... grades were out the window. Mom would fly in to St. Louis so we could drive half way twice a weekend for her court ordered visiting rights. She bought the kids cell phones; this destroyed any power I had.

10 years has gone by. I lost my job in Sep 2009. I owe $40,000. My daughter went to live with mom in Jan 2012. Mom married a VP from Europe. They have a big house and pool in KC. My son quit school and hates all that is right. I have missed 3 mortgage payments and the bank put a for sale sign in the yard. I have lost everything over the last 10 years, mainly 4 years. Family, money, dog, house, collections, all gone.

I too disliked watching mom and her honey literally weeks after she left at each of the weekend exchanges. Long drives lots of tears. I won in court but seem to have lost everything.