Mar 16 2011

BRACKETBALL

Are you in a bracket? What’s it like in there? Do they let you out every now and then? I’m asking, because I have never participated in the Final Four. This isnt a conscious decision that I’ve made. I just never knew what I was doing.

Here's a short story you might find humorous...

A number of years ago, during march Madness…a friend of mine said he was going for the Wildcats. I thought that sounded good…a wildcat…yeah. It’s a mean, nasty animal, that most of the other creatures run away from…yeah, with a name like that, they’re bound to win. Okay…so I decided when someone asked me who I thought would win the Final Four…I’d just say, “Wildcats”. Simple, right? I’ll sound really smart…and they won’t realize that I have no idea what I’m talking about. My foolproof plan worked perfectly, UNTIL…that one smart aleck asked me, “Who ya got in the Final Four?”. I answered very flippantly…”Wildcats”…which sounded very informed…I was so proud of myself. I had arrived. I was a sports genius…a regular guy! “Just set the trophy on the mantle boys!”

But…he wasn’t happy with such a simple response. He had to know more…like…”which Wildcats?”. What?! More than one team has that name? No! I had no idea! Could that be right? Is that legal? Could the Wildcats play the Wildcats in the Final Four? Well…at least I’d know the Wildcats would come out on top! How do people find the time to keep track of all this stuff?!

So, go Wildcats! (Are they even in the tournament this year?)

P.S. Happy St Patricks Day! May all your brackets be green...

Wildcats AZ.jpg (42.79 kb)

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (39) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/17/2011 8:15:02 AM
Gina United States
Gina
Personally, I think we (i.e., as a nation) place too much emphasis on "paid sports."  Granted, this is college basketball, but we seem to be so obsessed over something so insignificant, something that ties us to our couches and our televisions, when we could be outside, out in the community, putting that time to good use in bettering our communities and glorifying God.
3/17/2011 8:16:08 AM
Tina Cochran United States
Tina Cochran
Hey JD,

I am with you.. I have no idea what these brackets have anything to do with basketball... last time I knew brackets were something that you put on a wall for shelves or some other mechanical device..  So I guess I am like you I am not into this march maddness brakett basketball stuff.. God bless you JD.

Tina Cochran
3/17/2011 8:17:57 AM
Staci Teeters United States
Staci Teeters
I love March Madness! I've been a basketball nut since I was about 5 and starting playing Little Dribblers. I had the privilege of playing in the Texas State Basketball tournament as a junior in high school. So, I love the sport! I currently have 5 running brackets and of the ones I have at home vs. my husband and 2 daughters, I am winning! Yea! (Granted there have only been 4 games so far, but still...). Oh, and as a side note, the Wildcats were most likely the Kansas State Wildcats, and yes, they are in the tourney this year. They're the 5 seed in the Southeast region and they'll play Utah St. in round 1. Love listening to you!
3/17/2011 8:19:48 AM
Staci Teeters United States
Staci Teeters
So the graphics on my computer are super slow this morning and I just now got the image of the Kentucky ball. My bad. Kentucky's also in the tourney as a 4 seed...
3/17/2011 8:20:33 AM
Carol United States
Carol
Final what? Spring madness? Did I say that right? I'm with u JD.
3/17/2011 8:21:45 AM
Tara United States
Tara
I'm just as baffled by the March Madness. Worse, I don't watch sports at all.

After many years of trying to get me to join the company pool, my boss got me to enter this year. Then he gave me a link to select my picks.

My what?

I don't know ANY of these teams, their strengths or weaknesses. I'm lucky I recognized the place names. So I chose them ALPHABETICALLY: whichever name precedes the other alphabetically wins.

I doubt this is the right way to do this, but I guess it's as effective as picking by the team colors or mascot. Tong

Good luck with your selection and thanks for sharing your story. Laughing

- Tara
3/17/2011 9:20:52 AM
Ashley United States
Ashley
I'm in KY, and am definitely a Wildcat fan.  I'm a Louisville fan, too, but Wildcat all the way.  Much to my husband's dismay, I've increased my interest in basketball in the last few years.
My bracket has KY taking it all the way, I can't bring myself to put anyone else.  We're good, but we don't have a good away record.  We only won two, I believe.
GO CATS!!
3/17/2011 9:25:09 AM
douglasmcmillan United States
douglasmcmillan
sorry jd but im a have to go with my carolina tarheels and being that we are in the same brackets you wildcats cant win but to explain it all they came up with the brackets so the smaller schools will have a chance to compete for a championship  title instead of all the bigger school thats why they call it march madness and that the reson why they have a bracket. go tarheels
3/17/2011 9:44:15 AM
John Putt United States
John Putt
JD- please give a shout out to Katrina in Arkansas, she has been a vessel from God in me realizing who God really is. Even more so than I knew. Thanks- John
3/17/2011 9:44:37 AM
Lisa Wildcat Vice United States
Lisa Wildcat Vice
I'm with Ashley all the way! Being from Kentucky we are all round ball fanatics! We bleed blue and are true to our Kentucky Wildcats no matter what their win/loss record.  Big traditions here in the Bluegrass State.  GO BIG BLUE!
3/17/2011 9:45:13 AM
amy United States
amy
Why is there sports?  Ug!
3/17/2011 9:45:47 AM
Clarence United States
Clarence
I preached on this one night I ask everyone what would they give up for God? Everyone kind of looked at each other and shook their heads till I ask them would they miss a final four game with Kentucky wildcats to read their bible for that time. As for me I love the cats but I’m not into it like I can live without it or making the brackets. I love nascar and I was convicted about missing Sunday school and church to go to the races now I watch them on TV after church so what would you give up for God?
3/17/2011 9:51:45 AM
Joyce United States
Joyce
I have loved basketball since I was a kid. My dad was a huge fan and taught us the game. He was even a referee and I followed in his footsteps. My hubs and I have refereed Upwards B-ball for 3 years and have such a blast with the kids. We decided last year to enter the lottery for final four tickets since the venue was in Houston which is close by! WOW we actually got the tix so we are all about March Madness! Would love to see the Univ of Texas Longhorns in the Final 4 but I think it may be Louisville. The only bracket we have been watching is the one on ESPN...it's a lot to comprehend! Love it, thanks JD for the chance to share!!! Hook 'em!
3/17/2011 9:56:31 AM
Phyllis United States
Phyllis
Are you kidding??  March Madness is a National Holiday (yes, the entire month!)in this part of the country...especially in North Carolina!  I grew up with it; became a raging maniac Duke fan at the ripe ole age of 12, and have never looked back!  If you aren't from around here or are "new in these parts" and don't follow college basketball, I truly feel sorry for you.  Man!  What a blast you miss!  Smile

Phyllis
3/17/2011 10:16:56 AM
Nicki United States
Nicki
JD, There is a reason they call it March MADNESS. I don't think anyone can predict the outcome!
3/17/2011 10:17:04 AM
Janae Propeck United States
Janae Propeck
I agree with you 100% JD. I don't follow March Madness at all. It's always boring and I don't want to get sucked into another sport. If I was following March Madness, I would route for the teams that are from my home state of Oregon.
3/17/2011 10:18:24 AM
cyndy United States
cyndy
I LOVE MARCH MADNESS. I EQUATE IT TO THE SUPERBOWL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL.  WHEN YOU HAVE A CHILD WHO HAS PLAYED IN THE TOURNAMENT BEFORE OR IS PLAYING IN THE TOURNAMENT RIGHT NOW,I'M SURE YOU WOULD SUPPORT THE MADNESS ALSO.  IT'S JUST GOOD CLEAN FUN!!  IS THERE ANY DOUBT I'M ALL FOR MARCH MADNESS. Smile)LOVE IT!!
3/17/2011 10:18:45 AM
Lori Kamlade United States
Lori Kamlade
I am with you JD... no idea why all the excitment.  For me March is all about Spring and the reserection of our Savior.
-Lori
3/17/2011 10:20:11 AM
Matthew McIntire United States
Matthew McIntire
I grew up just on the other side of the Ohio River from UK but I must go with Michigan in honor of my favorite history teacher Mark Kooi who died@ 46 because a clot in his leg burst on 2-18-10 after I only had him for a month and a half in second semester. He was a hugh Michigan Wolverines fan. GO MICHIGAN!!!!!!!
3/17/2011 10:20:17 AM
Lori Kamlade United States
Lori Kamlade
-*resurrection
oops, spelling counts
3/17/2011 10:39:49 AM
Merry Drew United States
Merry Drew
Yes, J.D.  there are at least 2 teams with the Wildcat mascot in the tournament this year.  LOL

I'm a college basketball addict and will be parked in front of the television as much as possible watching.  Our Missouri Tigers will be playing tonight.  Hopefully they will play better on the road than they have so far this year.

Love your show and stories about your family.

Merry
3/17/2011 10:44:33 AM
Dee Ann United States
Dee Ann
I have to disagree on this one. I've seen too many kids turn their lives around by using the ability God gave them. Take for instance the University of Northern Colorado who is playing in their first NCAA tournament ever today. I worked at the university for 14 years in some tough departments such as the rape crisis center and the Disability Support Services. I have watched these kids defeat many odds to succeed. If it's sports that helps keep them coming back, then praise God for sports. He is the creator of everything isn't He? The star of our team has a story of overcoming so many odds from living with a mother on drugs to deciding to make something of himself and making the difficult choice to ask his best friend's mother if he could come and live with her when he was a teenager. He has since forgiven his mother, who attends every one of his games. while continuing to call his "home" the family he grew up in; a selfless woman who was single with three boys of her own but took him in despite her own struggles. Devon is now in Tucson getting ready to tip off on his first NCAA championship game as a senior in college. He is graduating as an Academic All Star on top of winning the Big Sky Conference Title and being named All Conference Player. 35 years ago to this week we adopted a five month old baby boy who was severely abused by his mother and boyfriend. We then had four children of our own. I promised my biological children I would never hold them back from their dreams because of our child who needed 24/7 care. They all played sports competitively, three boys and one girl. We were self-employed and could never afford to go anywhere or get a babysitter for our little boy who had so many special needs. Our vacations centered around our children's ball games. I couldn't count the number of games we went to but they went into the thousands going into college. It was difficult, but I enjoyed every minute of it and my children never resented our little boy. We lost our son four years ago at 27 years of age. He wasn't expected to live past 12. He thrived on love. Sports blessed our family and still does. I love watching the games with my children. It is one of the most loving, family get togethers we have and we pass it on to our grandchildren. God has placed on my heart to help an elderly man who just lost his wife after 68 years of marriage. They loved watching sports together. He is 95 years old and I now live with him and give him my time and love as we enjoy that time. I love to see him smile and laugh as he "referees" the games. And tomorrow I will go visit my CASA kids that I work with and am so thankful God has given me the ability to help as we prepare to go to court next week. It has been a very stressful case removing the children from an abusive home; but basketball helps release my stress. Our God is so good!  Thanks J.D. You guys are great...and I'm Irish!!  Go Bears!!
3/17/2011 10:44:45 AM
JANICE United States
JANICE
Hey, I am a Carolina Tar Heel fan to the end, but I believe that the Duke Blue Devils will take it if not Notre Dame, Gonzaga, Princeton will make the road really rough for anyone in their path.
3/17/2011 10:47:38 AM
stephanie United States
stephanie
LOL I am also for the Mizzou Tigers, so feel free to throw their name around too; and yes,there is more than one Wildcat team; Kansas State Wildcats.

It is very overwhelming, so when filling out my bracket, if I have heard of the school, they win, if not, then I guess. Simple process.

Glad to hear your voice again.
3/17/2011 10:48:59 AM
Vicky S United States
Vicky S
I was born and raised in UK Wildcat country and now live in Arizona where I have to be clear which Wildats (UK, of course) I cheer for. Big Blue all the way!
3/17/2011 10:50:53 AM
Merry Drew United States
Merry Drew
Nortre Dame is playing in the tournament and they are the Fighting Iris.  Does that count for a connection with St. Patricks Day and basketball?  Smile

Merry
3/17/2011 11:01:46 AM
Bob H. United States
Bob H.
I have always said that march madness drives me mad. I do not understand the love of basketball to begin with, but to make an entire month about college basketball, all the gambling that goes with it and the fact that it monopolizes tv it maddening.
3/17/2011 11:11:37 AM
Glenda Rice United States
Glenda Rice
Hey, being from Kentucky and loving the Wildcats, I have to say I agree with you JD. We will see in a couple of hours if they even get past the first round!! GO CATS!!!
3/17/2011 11:12:28 AM
Gina United States
Gina
Agreed, Bob H.  "March Madness"...sorry, folks, but it conjures up images of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party from Alice in Wonderland (emphasis on wonderland).

Dee Ann...I fully agree that if its sports that keeps them going, gives them a will to accomplish something in life, then so be it.  But, honestly, I believe that our society as a whole "idolizes" sports figures beyond what they should.  And what did God have to say about false idols?
3/17/2011 11:16:01 AM
Jennifer Schooley United States
Jennifer Schooley
I have no clue what the brackets are about and I don't have a clue about who's playing basketball - college or professional.  When in high school I made one of those crazy baskets from behind the mid-court line with a nearly blind single handed fling in the direction of the basket.... and it swished.  LOL  The whole gym went silent for a moment... then crazy.  In the end we lost the game, but hey... it was my moment.  LOL... beyond that... it's a fun game, but my life is too full to worry about who's playing where.  Whoever wins... Yeah!  Enjoy Smile
3/17/2011 11:28:25 AM
Kevin Gustafson United States
Kevin Gustafson
Hey JD,
I love March Madness, I have 3 brackets going right now (it increases the chances of getting it right!).  You gotta get in on it!
As for the mascots, you should find the most commonly used one, like Bulldogs or Tigers and root for them, then you have the best chance of picking a winner! Since you are in North Carolina and a Christian probably want to stay away from the Duke Blue Devils and Wake Forest Demon Deacons!
I love the station, you guys are awesome!!
Kevin
3/17/2011 12:02:09 PM
Ann United States
Ann
Yes, there are two Wildcats in the Tourny...Kentucky and Kansas State.  But the winner this year will be the JAYHAWKS!   Go KU
3/17/2011 3:23:36 PM
Sandy United States
Sandy
I think the entire idea of what sports has become in this country is terribly overdone. Granted, there are a few isolated stories of Christian athletes who use their sports careers to mentor youth, aid charities, or otherwise make a positive contribution to society. They are significantly out-numbered by athletes who set a horrific example. Self-agrandizement is almost universal in the sports world. Many professional athletes have made the news for violent crimes, sex crimes, and other serious behavioral problems. These athletes more often than not escape punishment because they are so terribly over-paid that they can afford the very best criminal defense attorneys and because too many people idolize them.
While top athletes make millions a year to perform on the field or court, many others who perform far more essential, but menial, tasks in this world must work multiple jobs just to keep a modest home because they are limited to minimum wage.
Seriously, please, collegiate and professional sports do not belong in the realm of Christian media.
3/17/2011 3:53:30 PM
Sara United States
Sara
I pay no personal attention to the "brackets" - then I hear things like "Babe did you see what happened with the Tourney today!?!" No hubby, I was at the park all day.  Smile  Then I am cleaning up from dinner and I hear "OH NO!" "What's wrong?" "I had Vanderbuilt winning that game!" The funny thing is this is the only time he pays attention to basketball.

There was one year that I should have though.  It was the year that Ohio State lost the National Championship to Florida.  There was a chance these same teams could have made it to the final game.  I would have won big - I even had the winner right.  Florida.  But I don't play.
3/17/2011 3:57:04 PM
Trish United States
Trish
YES THE WILDCATS ARE N IT!! THEY WON TODAY!! WOOOHOOOO!! GO BIG BLUE!!! C A T S, C A T S, C A T S!!!!WE BLEED B L U E!!!!!!
3/17/2011 6:23:24 PM
Tracy C. United States
Tracy C.
I'm an ACC fan at heart, growing up in the foothills of Virginia, back in the day when Jordan played for UNC and it was always UNC or Duke as champions. Now that I'm older, I still watch the tournament, but not usually until the Final Four.  I'm too busy with work, family, etc. to follow it closely now. Same with baseball and hockey. Love the sports, but the seasons are so long, I don't tune in until it's title time. Have a great day JD! God bless you, brother!
3/17/2011 7:22:20 PM
Maegan United States
Maegan
Well, this doesn't really have anything to do with sports, but JD, you look like you could have played the lion on the wizard of oz. You are so cute and adorable like him!
3/17/2011 9:57:58 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
I'm from Kentucky & I am a die hard KY fan.  Kentucky Wildcats all the way. Go Big Blue!!!!!! LOL
4/2/2011 12:14:21 PM
Shane Richardson United States
Shane Richardson
When UK won it in 98, while I was stationed in Germany I got a wildcat tattoo on my forearm...I have been waiting 13 years to finish it..GO BIG BLUE!!! Win #8...