Mar 16 2011

SKINNY TUESDAY

Yesterday was not Fat Tuesday.

Mardi Maigre! In French, it translates to "Skinny Tuesday." No bacon and eggs for breakfast, no hash browns, waffles, pancakes, pastries, toaster strudel, pop tarts…no chocolate frosted pork rinds…nope…nothing that tastes good anyway!

Have you ever noticed how little you eat, when the food isn’t good? Maybe we just need to surround ourselves with bland tasteless gruel.

Since we're talking about the meaning of words, let's examine the word, DIET.

Diet [dahy-it] noun, verb

1. The foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
2. Food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.

In our western culture, we’ve added our own definition to the word…

Diet [dahy-it] noun, verb

3. Such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
4. To select or limit the food one eats to improve one's physical condition or to lose weight: I've dieted all month and lost only one pound.

Now THAT’S a little more recognizable definition!

We have Atkins, Webkins, South Beach, North Beach…low calorie, low carbohydrate, low class, high fiber, high protein, high anxiety, fat free, sugar free, flavor free …diets.

What makes it so hard to keep the extra weight from applying itself to our mid-sections and other body regions? Maybe part of it, is that we dwell in a culture centered around food. When was the last time you invited some friends over for water?

“Lisa, you serve the best water around! What’s your secret?”
“Well Rachel, it’s the way you pour it. It’s all in the wrist!”
“You’ll have to teach us your technique…we’re having the Johnsons over on Friday, and you know how they love their water!”

Face it…food is a great excuse to get together with others. When the topic of conversation dries up…we can always eat. Even when we have someone over for coffee…we still serve food. When we go to a restaurant, we’re even served food WHILE WAITING FOR OUR FOOD TO ARRIVE! (Why am I yelling in my head?!) Anyway...It’s everywhere. We’re surrounded!

Is it time to hold up that little white flag, and surrender?

In 1st Corinthians 10, it says…”Everything is permissible…but not everything is beneficial”

So…what do we do with verses like that? Is it a free-for-all? All the chocolate, all the pork fat, all the deep fried chicken?………All the DEEP FRIED CHOCOLATE COVERED, PORK FAT FILLED FINGER LICKIN' CHICKEN CLUSTERS?! (Sorry, I'm yelling again!)  Maybe it's because I'm hungry? Well, alright…so that means we can eat anything we want…until we burst?  Really?!!!

I think the key here is “not everything is beneficial”. God has given us a free will. He has not given us a spirit of fear…but of power and love, and SELF discipline. Self?! Oh yeah, THAT guy! I know him all too well. Maybe I need a little help…maybe I need to seek God in ALL things…and in all ways acknowledge HIM…and let HIM make my paths straight! (Proverbs 3:6)

Maybe, just maybe…that path will lead me past the fridge…and back to the gym…

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (103) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/16/2011 9:13:37 AM
Geri Wielenga United States
Geri Wielenga
I've been doing Monavie's RVL program, nutrient density & low glycemic - it works!  I love it & 1000's are getting amazing results.  I'm here to help anyone wanting to get great nutrition & lose weight.  You can contact me at my email.
3/16/2011 9:13:40 AM
Luke United States
Luke
Never really been one for "diets"....but just found a sweet app on my iphone that helps with counting calories.  I've tried several times to count calories before but end up giving up because it become such a pain to write it all down,etc.  But this iphone app dailyburn has a partner app that works with it called foodscanner...this scanner basically allows you to go and just scan the barcode of the food and it'll pull up the nutrition info for you.  The dailyburn is free, but the foodscanner is 4.99....so far seems much more worth it and easier to keep track of the food eaten when I can just scan the barcode. It costs monthly if you want a full tracking of things like sodium,etc...but for the things like calories, fat, protein, you just pay the initial $4.99. Hopefully will help keep me a bit more on track! =)

Luke
3/16/2011 9:13:57 AM
D'Ann Sherwood United States
D'Ann Sherwood
JD,

Currently trying a new plan myself called Food Lover's Fat Loss program.  Not sure how it work.  Before that, back in 07' I subscribed to a prgram called Fat Loss 4 Idiots online.  I dropped a lot of weight but plateaued.  I've not really put weight back on, but I can't seem to drop anymore.

Getting back to the gym also.  So, with the new plan and working out I'll see how I can improve my weight and health.

God Bless and good luck.

D'Ann
Chespaeke, VA
3/16/2011 9:14:07 AM
Karen United States
Karen
I've done the HCG Diet a couple times and it is what has worked for me!  I lost 25 lbs from Feb 18 - April 1 in 2010.  It's pretty extreme, but I'm 52 and have tried to diet many time.  This has worked for me.
3/16/2011 9:14:18 AM
Maricela United States
Maricela
There is a website that I share with everyone and anyone that I can because I truly believe it is a God-sent. It's www.sparkpeople.com It's completely free and it has so many tools, trackers, articles, information, but most of all it has an amazing community of people just like you and me trying to live a healthy lifestyle. This is by no means spam or free promotion or anything like that. I truly believe in this website and it's creators. And while my results are not reflecting in it, it is through my own choices not by anything they may be missing or doing incorrectly on their site or the information I receive through their site. This is a difficult journey, but with God's strength first and foremost, the tools and information on this site, and the amazing community that I have grown to love as my online family this can be and will be an amazing life-changing journey. God Bless you!
3/16/2011 9:17:29 AM
Sheila United States
Sheila
My daughter has been doing Atkins and she lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks.  She is doing great with it and still has some to go to meet her goal.  It's best if you combine Atkins with some exercise.  She's in high school, so gets her exercise in P.E. class.  My husband was also doing Atkins and has found that as long as he stays away from sodas, he can keep the weight off.
3/16/2011 9:21:20 AM
Laura United States
Laura
My personal approach is to live a healthy lifestyle rather than apply the word "diet" to eating habits.  I've recently joined Weight Watchers and lost 4.4 pounds this week.  I did not deprive myself of anything I wanted, I just made informed decisions about what I chose to eat. The iPhone app is a big help.  I have not been a good steward with this body that God has given me and my goal is to implement more healthy lifestyle habits, including food choices and activities I'm involved in.
3/16/2011 9:21:57 AM
symantha United States
symantha
Hi JD,
I don't ever diet; that makes me fat!

I got rid of 40 pounds eight or nine years ago now. Do you want to know the secret?

You already know it. Yep, eat less and move more, oh... and start now!

If you usually eat a large serving, eat a small one instead. No deprivation just respect for your body.
If you never get any exercise do a 10 minute video or walk the halls on your break at work or just circle the block a few times.Put on your workout shoes and do something extra for 10 minutes at least 3 times today.
Start now! I gain the most weight eating up everything in the house and at DQ before I start tomorrow.
Throw away that half-eaten bagel, instead of three cookies with lunch - eat one.Instead of skipping lunch, order a kids meal...anywhere!

It works. Be consistent!

Good Luck!
Sam
3/16/2011 9:25:54 AM
Maria London United States
Maria London
I'm one of those people who could never loose weight. Member at a gym and worked out 4-6days a week and nothing would come off. I didn't really eat junk food either. So I spent much time in prayer asking God to bless my efforts and help me honor him with my body. I was about to accept that perhaps God wanted me to stay in this uncomfortable unhealthy body with all it's extra problems due to the weight. When finally he answered my prayers. Many at our church were suddenly dropping lots of weight and I asked them how. A member at our church became a health coach and has since helped so many of us in our ministry. I have lost 60+ lbs and my husband 20lbs. We have so much more energy and have chosen to reinvest that energy into Gods ministry. We definitely feel Gods provision in this prayer to get healthy. Perhaps this program will help others in need of a healthy body. Check it out www.trimnewyou.TSFL.com
My prayer goes with anyone on this journey to get healthy because I know it's hard but well worth the effort.
3/16/2011 9:26:57 AM
Tammy United States
Tammy
My family and I just started the 17 Day Diet plan this week.  It is a diet that goes in 17 day cycles.  This way your metabilism won't get stuck - it is always changing with your body.  So far so good.  I pray each day that God will give me the strength to stay strong and on the plan.  I would love to be able to feel confident this summer in shorts - which has not been the case for a long, long time.  I have put this in God's hands - only He will grant me and my family success!
3/16/2011 9:28:11 AM
Dree United States
Dree
I found out 3 years ago I had high cholesterol, got scared and started watching "fat grams" on everything.  Lost 20 lbs in 6 months.  It just takes alot of discipline not to eat the "comfort" food that you love so much. But you must treat yourself to the food you love food each week.... but just don't over do it.  3 meals a week - call it a "free" meal - meaning no diet food. The other meals, watch fat grams.  That worked for me!  God can give you the strength - just ask Him for it.
3/16/2011 9:29:09 AM
Casandra United States
Casandra
I have struggled with weight my entire life.  When I was 28 I weighed over 400lbs and had gastic bypass.  I dropped 140lbs but then got married and had babies.  I have gained a bit of weight back and struggled back and forth on what rode I would take to lose the weight.  After considering several weight loss programs, I decided to take it to my Heavenly Father and ask Him to guide me.  He designed our bodies to breath to sleep and to eat.  I took the pressure off myself and I listen to my body.  I eat when I am hungry stop when I am satisfied and I forgive when I mess up.  I have lost 27lbs since December by eating when my body needs it and eating healthy,but with taste Smile  I also do Zumba a few days a week and the best exercise is to play with my kids and the best food to consume is biblical food.
3/16/2011 9:30:38 AM
laura United States
laura
Hi JD! I am the trainer for the "Biggest Loser" competition in my hometown, and I just want to say that I think that sometimes we make things too complicated. I encourage our participants to "only eat what God made". He made EVERYTHING that we need to be healthy....vegetables, fruit, meat, fish, nuts, WATER.....etc. He DID NOT make snicker bars, doritos, and sodas!!lol....=-). MAN made those things. Also I advise them to "eat LESS and move MORE." Your body was made to MOVE!!! Good luck and ENJOY food, it is one of God's greatest gifts too us. <><
3/16/2011 9:31:05 AM
LisaRae United States
LisaRae
Everyone makes losing/maintaining a heathly weight harder than it really is. Providing that you do not have any health issues causing you to gain weight (hypothyroidism, certain medications, etc.), here is what will work for most people. Eat sensible meals with sensible proportions "at the same time every day." Drink enough with a meal to quench your thirst, but save most of your drinking for between meals, as liquids will dilute the gastric juices needed to digest the food. Stay away from diet sodas (cant stress this enough), and only drink tea, water, or milk with your meals. NEVER skip breakfast, as this is the meal that starts up your metabolism for the day. Try to walk briskly for at least 15 minutes a day. If that is not possible, do jumping jacks or some other form of excercise. Dont forget to stretch out those muscles to enhance your shape. One more secret of mine......5000 mcg Biotin with breakfast! All diet drinks/foods contain Biotin in some shape or form.  Biotin turns food into protein/inhibits food from becoming fat.  These are simple lifestyle changes that work longterm and are quite easy. Counting calories and carbs is really only for those who are diabetic. Biblically speaking......its all about moderation, moderation, moderation!
3/16/2011 9:31:08 AM
Mariah United States
Mariah
Hi JD,
Well I don't like the word "diet" it says you can't eat this and you can't eat that, I like to think of it as a different way of eating! I've lost about 30-35 pounds by eating fresh homemade meals. I eat fish, chicken and even steak with fresh veggies, salads and whole grain pastas! I use to think pepsi and snickers was a balanced breakfast haahaa! I don't believe that anymore. I make a berry smoothie almost every morning with some eggs n turkey sausage or breakfast burrito with whole grain tortilla. You can eat almost anything, just choose the more natural alternative. I don't believe in diet soda or splenda either, I drink mainly water or iced tea with either honey or stevia (a natural, zero calorie sweetner) it comes from the leafy green folliage from the stevia plant. I was overweight and couldn't seem to get the weight off. I've now joined a gym and work out 3-5 times a week. I've learned that 70% of loosing weight is your diet (the food you eat), so I changed my way of eating and have lost around 30-35 pounds. I get compliments all the time of how well I look, but most importantly I feel GREAT! I'm running my first half marathon in June and am so excited I can accomplish something like this that seemed so outta my reach a year ago! God Bless, Mariah
3/16/2011 9:34:20 AM
Annie United States
Annie
Low Carb is the way to go! Laughing
3/16/2011 9:39:06 AM
Catrina United States
Catrina
I need help with this, i need motivatio, i love food and know how to eat healthy i just don't have the motivation to exercise, please any advise is welcome! I need to lose 50 pounds and want to do by mid June can anyone help with advise! Thanks so much....
3/16/2011 9:42:28 AM
Gloria United States
Gloria
JD,I don't think diet is ever a healthy choice. We're creatures of habit and just like anything else in our lives we just need to get rid of bad habits. How? God is a good start. We all know what we should be eating,we know what is healthy.
We are a food culture,for sure,but my guests enjoy the healthy food I prepare for them more then if I served them fattier unhealthy food. What better way to show someone you care for them then to serve them light,healthy food. Cooking Light.com is a great start to better eating.
  I enjoy Daniel's request in chapter 1:8-15. Do we need to take it that far,probably not. But it proves a point.
  Bottom line is,if you want to lose weight and keep it off. Ask God for help as you would with anything, Drink plenty of water, watch white sugar and salt intake, eat lots of fresh veggies, and lean meats. Good luck
3/16/2011 9:52:23 AM
Sally from Colorado United States
Sally from Colorado
My, now husband, and I went on the atkins diet for a month before our wedding. Fabulous. We each lost about 12 pounds. The amazing part of the diet is this: My husbands triglicyrides count was 883 before the diet, it dropped to 86 after the diet. The doctors have never heard of such thing. I highly recommend this diet, you can even make it a part of your lifestyle...Unfortunately we haven't, after the wedding we starting eating the carbs again!
3/16/2011 9:56:49 AM
Teresa United States
Teresa
You don't have to starve yourself.  That is not any healthier than overeating.  It is all about control:  self-control through portion control.  If you like to eat out, get a small instead of large.  Don't cut out dessert, just eat less of it.  I lost 35 lbs and have kept it off for a year.  People seem to be dissapointed when I tell them I just cut back.  Most of us would be shocked if we read labels.  We don't eat one serving of something, we eat 3-4, sometimes more.  "Diets" don't work, at least not long term, you have to make a life change.  Good luck an God bless.
3/16/2011 9:57:31 AM
Cindy United States
Cindy
Graciela is right on.  Sparkpeople.com is most amazing and free.  There are christian sub groups and all the support a person could want.  I have been there for two years and as I work my program I get results.  It is a lifestyle change that works, not a diet. You go at your own speed and make the changes yo want to make.
3/16/2011 9:57:55 AM
Sandi Lombardo United States
Sandi Lombardo
I am participating in Daniel's Fast with my church. There are a lot of web sites that can tell you what is available to eat. Focus is not on portions so much as the content. No precious foods, which means nothing produced from any species. No honey, eggs, meat of course but the rest thats available is there in abundance. Its also a way to concentrate on the Father who gives us all we need and to remember its His table we want to eat from and not the worlds table. God bless you in this endeavor.

3/16/2011 9:58:45 AM
Joshua Martz United States
Joshua Martz
The best diet I have found was the Daniel diet. In the first 2 weeks I lost 15 pounds. It is an all natural diet, veggies, fruits, nuts, and you can have veggie burgers and other veggie/soy products, you cant have any processed meats. but if any diet it would be this one, I have tried many diets and this one is the best I have come across.
3/16/2011 10:00:04 AM
Andy Canada
Andy
JD - I've recently starting going through this book, and my wife has decided to join me. We're hopefully going to transform our physical and spiritual lives in 90 days!

www.amazon.com/.../0849900131
3/16/2011 10:01:26 AM
Kristin United States
Kristin
Hi Jd, I was headed home from the grocery store when I heard you talk about the Dreaded word "DIET" haha. I have spent half my life trying to perfect that word but it has never worked for me. In high school I was very athletic and strong but I had my parents telling me constantly to lose weight. I was about 20lbs over what the charts said I should be. After high school  I decided to no longer sur-come to the demands of my parents. They were constantly pushing carrots and cottage cheese at me but now it was time for me to EAT what I wanted and I did. I gained a ton of weight and at that point could never manage to lose it. Years and years went I on as I tried every diet under the sun. I am a self proclaimed Diet Expert haha...
I even tried giving it to God with yet another failure.. Back in 2008 I became very ill with a disease even the doctors (and there were many) could not diagnose. In 2010 the LORD healed and restored me back to normal and the doctors were baffled. During the time I was sick I was nearly bed ridden, the only time I would painfully stand was to take care of my children. When I was healed it was truly a miracle but months later I was to find out that I had type 2 diabetes. My life had now been placed on a Stop Watch and I believe it was time to GET healthy or die leaving my beautiful children motherless and my husband of 15 years without a mate.
From the day the doctor told me what I had I decided first I would walk. I thought I would nearly die that first 4 blocks. I huffed and puffed and dragged my booty with all my might back to my doorstep where I collapsed.
From that moment on my life would never be the same. I went to a diabetes education class, which I was totally against because the thought of someone acting like had this awful disease that I saw people I loved die from was too much to bare but I did it anyways. There they explained what was going on with me and that carbs were causing my sugars to go up hence being stored as fat. WOW For years I had eated SUGAR free thinking I was helping myself but I was loading up on CARBS and killing myself in the process. I learned to eat healthy lots of Good carbs and protein. For the first time in 20 years of dieting and I am exercising and loving it like I never imagined. All the cravings for JUNK are gone and  I actually get sad when I am not able to exercise. I park away everywhere I go so that I can walk and I carry weights around with me everywhere. I do sprints at home in front of the tv. It's amazing and I am so grateful that GOD delivered me from the most painful thing in my life. Being overweight! Today is my 5 months anniversary of this LIFESTYLE changed and I weighed in at - 55 lbs today WOOW.. The only way I could of ever done this is WITH MY God. There is no other way...
3/16/2011 10:01:27 AM
Susie United States
Susie
Wonderful tool: SparkPeople.com (or get the book, "The Spark". Online site has already been mentioned -- I can't say enough about the wonderful tools for healthy living there! And the friends and support are key to not giving up! Add to that Lysa TerKeurst's "MADE TO CRAVE" and you've got a powerful arsenal!! Lysa helps you WANT to be healthy so that you can honor and serve God; SparkPeople has food trackers, articles, recipes so you don't get bored, friends, workout planners and trackers, etc., etc., etc. It's FREE -- and so worth taking the time to log in each day!! God Bless You on your Journey to Health!
3/16/2011 10:03:39 AM
Meg United States
Meg
I'm with you JD!  Eating healthier and exercising at least 1 hr a day is part of my goal for the next 40 days (and hopefully a lifetime).  I'm cutting out all processed foods and carbs, eating when I'm hungry, and using walking and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred for exercise.  I was listening to you as I was walking actually, love the music...keep it coming so we remember God's encouragement to take care of what he gave us :0)

Meg
3/16/2011 10:04:01 AM
Marcia Davis United States
Marcia Davis
Most people think of a "diet" as something that's temporary.  If you think of it that way, you will eventually return to your old habits, and it's not a rocket science to know that if you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get the same results.  STOP THINKING OF IT AS A DIET.  You need to say you are making some LIFESTYLE CHANGES that will make you a stronger and healthier person.  Being stronger and healthier enables you to put your focus on serving God and taking care of those you love.  I myself, have lost 126 pounds, not by going on a "diet," but by making significant lifestyle changes.  I still endulge occassionally, I just don't overdo.  God bless, and good luck with your "lifestyle change."
3/16/2011 10:04:32 AM
becky rhees United States
becky rhees
I started jan 19th on Herbalife, my dad got me started. I was 47 lbs from my goal weight, I am now 5 lbs from it!!! and I am a distributor for them now too. awesome stuff and its all natural. no chemicals. no starving. awesome
3/16/2011 10:04:33 AM
Elizabeth United States
Elizabeth
Diet - is what you eat.
I tried a weight loss diet called "Lose 10 lbs in 30 days" and I only did it for two weeks -lost 8 lbs and kept it off for six months. Halloween candy hit and that was it. Gained it back.
It uses whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat breads, and small meat portions and large vegetable portions.
It gives you what to eat each day for breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner for 30 days. It does work but not all the food is "kid friendly" such as brussel sprouts and brown rice. My son does not like carrots either. No crazy foods like all rice but it does have you start walking 10 min a day and work your way up over the 30 days.
3/16/2011 10:04:47 AM
Jan United States
Jan
Diets have really never worked for me.  I have absolutely no will power just to not eat!  However, I have found the importance of excercise in loosing/maintaining a healthy weight.  It is important (as we grow older) to work on muscle mass as well as cardio.  Muscle mass increases our body's need for calories (you burn more in a day) so even without cutting down, you ARE cutting down.  Cardio increases your heart rate/health and thus increases your metabolic rate.  Again....more calories burned even without cutting back.  If you get at least 3 days of hard weight/cardio excercise per week, cut out the junk food and cut back on the bread & pasta, you will beging to loose weight quickly.  I have lost 3 dress sizes in 8 months.  (I don't go by weight because muscle weighs more than fat Smile  No counting calories, no special diets....just eat healthy!
3/16/2011 10:05:20 AM
chris United States
chris
hello: I love the idea behind "Made to Crave" and also  most of the weigh down principles. Fill up your wanting heart with God not food. Eat when hungry, not bored, or by a clock i.e. its breakfast, lunch, etc, time to eat whether you are hungry or not.  Eating beyond being satisfied, to the point of being too full or stuffed is well...greed. And Greed does not sit well with God. We can hide many sins from the world but greed shows up on us, on our faces, our bodies, our behavior. Once I noticed this, I am too ashamed to eat beyond satisfied, and am horrified that I was greedy before God. Cleaning my plate doesn't help a starving person. Food is here to serve me, not me to serve the food. I do not need as much food as I thought I did. I don't need a whole sandwich, apple, chips and a brownie and a Big Gulp soda for lunch. 1/2 of everything is plenty. This really works.
3/16/2011 10:10:18 AM
Dawn United States
Dawn
we practice what one of my girls dubbed the "put your fork down diet". take a bite put down your utinsel, chew your food well,then pick up the fork and take another bite. Take your time eating,enjoy the company at the table. Stop eating when you are full. after a while of doing this you will learn to take smaller portions.
I also bought us good pedometers. wear it for a week keep track of totals and try to better it each week. makes one realize how inactive we have become.
3/16/2011 10:12:14 AM
bonnie United States
bonnie
JD you need to go online and check out sparkpeople.com it is a website that you can enter everything you eat and it takes care of the rest for you.  It will track calories, fat, carbs, proteins.  You can also track you excercise, your water, and learn a lot about different subjects.
3/16/2011 10:13:10 AM
Debbie United States
Debbie
My daughter and I did the Fat Flush plan. It was originally written to be used as a once a year cleanse. It is designed to help you understand the reasons that some of us hold onto fat, i.e. food allergies or sensitivity, hormone changes etc.
The first two weeks are restricted and then you begin to slowly add back into your diet things that are usually the one that cause the most problems. It is very easy to follow even those that have to go to work every day. It is a great book to read even if you aren't looking for a diet, and has a lot of practical information.
I got the book at the local library but my daughter-in law got one from Amazon.
3/16/2011 10:15:15 AM
julia waldby United States
julia waldby
I have lost 40 lbs after gaining 75 with a back injury.  How I have done this is by cutting back my surger intake. ( i did this by switching to splenda in my coffee).  Cut back on coffee, watch how much i eat.  I normaly like 2nds but now only one plate.  I eat my veggies 1st, protein 2ed and the carbs 3ed.  On good day for my back, I try and walk to work which is 1 and 1/2 miles one way, twice a week.  Oh and a great tip park farther away from the store to get a few extra steps.
3/16/2011 10:16:37 AM
Emily United States
Emily
Since diets have never worked for me, I have learned that I must commit to a lifestyle change in order to see success. I want to eat well--not just count calories--so that I can be healthy for life. My greatest success has come from a nutritarian lifestyle. Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" book has changed my life. Not only are his recommendations key to losing weight, they are also key in disease prevention. He has seen so many people battle chronic disease and helps people prevent cancer through healthy eating. His nutritarian lifestyle recommendations also have helped others overcome food addiction. Check out his blog: http://www.diseaseproof.com/
3/16/2011 10:18:48 AM
Rina Fleming United States
Rina Fleming
God made humans to run on food as fuel just like our automobiles run on fuel.  We don’t go to the gas station and put diesel in our car unless the car runs on diesel.  So please stop buying processed food full of chemicals because your body is not a chemistry lab.  Do 80-90% of your grocery shopping in the parameter of the grocery store.  Anything made with white flour is a no, no, “white is not right.”  Say no to artificial sweeteners.   If diet foods and drinks really worked, ask yourself, why  do we have an obesity crisis in America?   Be a label reader.  YOU need to know  what you and your family are eating.  If the ingredient is not food, DON’T buy it.   We eat whatever Big industry makes without questioning its contents, and than wonder why we are sick.  God does not drop disease from the sky, they are ALL man made
3/16/2011 10:20:42 AM
Gary Phillips United States
Gary Phillips
I agree with those who have mentioned SparkPeople. Just keeping track of what goes into my body on the Nutrition Tracker has helped me be aware of what I'm eating.

I also got a jump start on my weight loss with appetite control and increased energy by doing the 24 Day Challenge using AdvoCare products. This helped me drop 18 lbs and 16 inches in three months while helping me maintain muscle and starve the fat.

There is a free webinar tonight showing more about the 24 Day Challenge: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/119383234

or visit https://www.advocare.com/09052457/ to see and read about the AdvoCare products.
3/16/2011 10:28:05 AM
Karen United States
Karen
I have tried at least 4 of the diets out there including weight watchers and slim4life. They all worked for a minute then it came back. So finally after getting sick of being over weight for so long, I finally decided enough was enough and started just eating better and working out. Now 24 years old I have been been 62 pounds down for 2 years.
3/16/2011 10:34:17 AM
Marie Luten United States
Marie Luten
I'm 66 1/2 yrs. of age.  I've always struggled with weight, but the Lord has shown me what I need to do through my doctor and Weight Watcher's.  My doctor said "LESS food IN, Marie, LESS food IN."  I know that is so true as a mature (get older).  I'm learning again through Weight Watcher's that no food is off limits.  It is ALL about PORTION SIZE and a BALANCE of each of the food types daily.
It is NOT dieting, it is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE - Day by Day with the Lord as my help and guide.  Thanks so much for ALL you do at K-LOVE!
3/16/2011 10:44:24 AM
MJ United States
MJ
What has worked for me not only allows you to loose weight, but waste as well.  It's actually a cleanse or detox.  I think is very important to detox our bodies due to what we put in and on our bodies as well as toxins we may be unintentionally  exposed to.  I am currently on the "Master Cleanse" aka Lemonade Diet, and this is my 4th time doing so.  For me this cleanse helps my overall well being, and I love the way I feel on it!  The Master Cleanse to me is prevention of disease, and also keeps me rejuvenated!  (makes my skin look amazing ladiesSmile  I definitely call upon strength from our Father through the cleanse because it can be intense at times, but I know it's all worth it!  As far as weight loss depending on how much is needed to loose it varies from 1-2 lbs a day.  I highly recommend reading the book which is a short easy read.  Most important is how to come off the cleanse so read up!!
3/16/2011 10:44:43 AM
Todd Psick United States
Todd Psick
Hi JD. First of all thanks for what you do and how you do it. Praise God!
  I have always been health minded thanks to my mom Gerri, marathon runner, etc.
  I feel that our minds, as you mentioned hear the word "diet" and we associate it with loosing weight or temporary altering our eating habits, when in fact a "Healthy Diet" is a way of living and thinking. As Christians, we know that our bodies are in fact temples, and a gift from our heavenly Father and we need to take care of them.
  Gratefully I have never really struggled with my weight but am very familiar with addiction and recovery. I am surrounded by people close to me as well as an obese nation that need help, and I have been convicted to do something about it. I have taken a nutrition class at a local college and started a website called FeedYourBodyBetter recently.
  We have to change the way we think and how our minds our influenced by society. Healthy eating is a way of living not a temporary diet. I do not use the word diet if I can help it because we need to live healthy and not be "on a diet" because that implicates that at some point we will be "off our diet", which is not true. A side note is to focus on low-glycemic foods, for you will be less hungry between meals due to lack of the "sugar plunge" that occurs shortly thereafter creating a hunger sensation.
Todd
3/16/2011 10:54:10 AM
Karen United States
Karen
I believe its all about portion control. Also, there is to much emphases on diets and weight loss. My youngest niece has battled anorexia for 5yrs at times down to 70lbs at the age of 17. There is to much pressure on young girls to fit into a stereotype of how you look.
3/16/2011 10:57:45 AM
Kris From Colorado United States
Kris From Colorado
I am doing the Monavie RVL .. and the results are amazing!  Please email me if you'd like more details!
3/16/2011 11:08:29 AM
douglas United States
douglas
I have a see food diet, i see food and i eat it.
3/16/2011 11:12:11 AM
Margie Bramer United States
Margie Bramer
I suggest the Sugar Busters Diet (UHG <<<<I do not like that word) Basically, you eliminate white sugar, white bread, (the whiter the bread the quicker you are dead!) and white rice...read the book for all the details, but it works.
3/16/2011 11:13:40 AM
Robin United States
Robin
What has been helping me is going to the gym every day and being accountable to my fitness instructor/sales person.  He has been a tremendous help.  I keep a food diary to keep track of everything I eat (even the bad stuff). And, I exercise at the gym almost every day.  It helps to have other people around to get motivated.
3/16/2011 11:14:42 AM
Joyce United States
Joyce
Weight watchers on line.  You have to pay, but you go to NO meetings!  They have a point system you try to stay under.  Basically you eat all the vegetables and fruits you want.  But by joining you have a program to log in what you eat daily.  My husband has lost 16 pounds and part of that was through the Christmas holidaysSmile  I've lost 10.
We recommend this to anyone.
3/16/2011 11:15:06 AM
Rhonda United States
Rhonda
There is this great website called SparkPeople.  It has exercises, nutrition, recipes, blogs, etc.  You can also track your food, water, and exercise.  Plus, it is FREE to join.

There are different communities that you can join based on hobbies, location, etc.  JD could also create a community for K-Love.  It is a great way to connect with others and encourage each other along the way.   Check it out.
3/16/2011 11:15:46 AM
Dr. Corrinna Long United States
Dr. Corrinna Long
A lifestyle change is key.  Everyone wants a quick-fix but to maintain results and to change this obese epidemic for years to come, we must make changes!  Eating smaller portions, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables with small meat portions is a great start.  A rule of thumb is: if it "Just needs water" or comes ready-to-eat out of the package, for heavens sake DO NOT EAT it!  I use a dietary supplement called Purple Tiger to help individuals with their cravings and appetite control so they can get a handle on this lifestyle change.
3/16/2011 11:17:35 AM
Ebonee Watson United States
Ebonee Watson
I had to make lifestyle choices my mother was diagnosed with cancer...I had to research this thing and found out that our body will heal itself with the proper foods...Yes the foods from the bible God tell us to eat...So my children and I are on a God said diet...not easy but to see the weight falling off is amazing and to see the body cleanse itself is awesome..My kids are not bouncing off the wall and making good choices in school..God made our body to heal itself with the proper foods..How awesome is that...The makers diet by Jordan Ruebon think I spelled it right...JD check it out...I agree with the trainer from the biggest loser 100%...I have energy and that is a WOW FOR ME!!!=)
3/16/2011 11:18:40 AM
Calynne United States
Calynne
Let me begin by saying getting in better shape does not mean you have to be a fitness freak. I hate exercising! So what I did to start feeling better and get myself in shape was to start each day with 25 stomach crunches. Now, when I first started it was with 5! I worked my way up. And although I am sure I could do far more now. I stay at 25. Because I know me. And I would not continue to do any if I woke up having to do 50! And when the weather is pretty, for my lunch I head out to a nearby park and walk. It isn't a slow walk, but I'm also not power walking. Just purposeful. I'm going to get where I'm going. I probably do a mile in about 25 minutes. And I only do 1 MILE. Smile I spend that time with Jesus and it isn't even like exercise. It's visiting! You don't have to go all out. Moving any way helps. And when you move more, you'll notice that your appetite changes for the better. Of course drink your water!
3/16/2011 11:21:30 AM
sherry from prospect pa United States
sherry from prospect pa
I allowed myself to gain and gain and gain...eventually i got over 200lbs...started having anxiety and ended up in the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. they had my records mixed with another patient which lead them to believe that I was on cholesterol meds so they tested my cholesterol and found it was quite high. the doc told me I need to loose weight...that was hard to hear! even though I knew it was the truth..it was a God send that they mixed records so to speak. as soon as I got out of the hospital I went to the book store and found a low fat low cholesterol meals cook book by the American heart assoc. my family helped me cook and try every meal and we were all impressed at how delicious ALL of them are. I lost over 50 lbs in 4 months. I took the stairs at work....it was hard to follow portion sizes but i would eat other low fat things as a snack and as my stomach shrunk I felt fuller quicker. my cholesterol is now normal praise God!!!!!
3/16/2011 11:22:20 AM
Nakai United States
Nakai
I am currently at my highest weight ever.... tipping the scales at 375lbs (I'm only 5'4"). I never thought I'd ever get this big. I've struggled with my weight since I got married nearly 10 years ago. Being over 200lbs when I got pregnant shortly after getting married. With my first son, I gained nearly 100lbs. Frown Nine months after he was born, I was pregnant again, so I really didn't have the time to take the weight off. My youngest son is now 6 years old and the lowest I've weighed since he was born is 302lbs and that was in 2006. I have been steadily gaining since then. Last November, I made the decision that I NEEDED to do something about this weight. I am killing myself. I started keeping a food journal, because I was convincing myself that I wasn't eating all that much. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! After cutting portions and increasing frequency of meals (I eat 5 small meals a day), I decided that I needed to start moving around. I went to the local Anytime Fitness (cause I found a coupon for a 2wk trial). I started working out every day, but I started out VERY slowly... 10 minutes walking on a treadmill and 20 minutes of light weight lifting. By the time my trial was over, I had lost inches and I could already feel the difference in my body. I made the choice that when we got our tax returns, I would buy a year membership. I bought my membership at the end of February and I've been working out 6 days a week ever since. Starting out slow again and working my way up. I increase my time on the treadmill by 5 min. each week. Its hard at first and its hard to stay motivated... but, I just look into the eyes of my precious boys and know that I will be around to watch them grow... something that wasn't looking like a prospect at the rate I was going before. I knew I was going to die if I didn't lose weight. I can't tell you how much weight I've lost so far, but I can FEEL it. I feel better during the day, I don't suffer from the chronic fatigue I used to suffer from either. If you can't get motivated, find a work out buddy. Someone who you can be accountable to.. it helps! If you can afford it, hire a trainer (that's what I did). I need the accountability.
If I can do it ANYONE can!! Smile
3/16/2011 11:22:48 AM
Diahann United States
Diahann
Hi J.D. What has helped me to lose and maintain an ideal weight is eating "gluten-free" (there are so many good foods that are gluten free!) as well as ëating according to my blood type.  I highly recommend the book, Blood Type Diet. I also believe that exercising in intervals (short periods of high intensity and recovery work-out), as little as a 12 minute workout, is far more beneficial for building your heart and lungs than 1 hour of aerobics.  At least it's worked for me.
3/16/2011 11:28:38 AM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
I agree with all the users who said www.sparkpeople.com I LOVE it.. and I agree with Rhonda.. I say there should be a K-love group, that would be awesome!
3/16/2011 11:31:39 AM
Linda Meins United States
Linda Meins
Hi J.D. I have lost 74 pounds since Sept. 2009 using a product called Purple Tiger which is an all natural dietary supplement to increase energy and metabolism which results in amazing weight loss. Purple Tiger helps decrease the appetite so that you can eat less and your body actually starts craving the things that are good for you. After being overweight all my life using every product that has come on the market it is truly a Blessing to feel better and have joy in my life.  You can check out Purple Tiger and other products by going to www.lindameins.vistahealthproducts.com
God Bless, Linda
3/16/2011 11:34:12 AM
Tammy from NC United States
Tammy from NC
Hi, JD~

I have spent years being on a DIET.  I have learned over the last 6 years that it is not about a "DIE-IT"...it is about making it a "LIVE-IT".  We are only given one body in this lifetime and what we do with it is up to us.  It is about making healthy lifestyle changes (eating better/exercise/reduce stress, etc).  When we do that and feed our body REAL food, our body knows what to do with it.  Over 80% of all illnesses and diseases are preventable through good nutrition.  We always want a quick answer and want to try the latest and greatest to lose weight and still eat the way we want (or at least think we want) ...I know...that was me.  Our bodies were designed by God to be incredible machines....we have ruined our temples by the foods we eat and choices we make every day.  BUT, when we feed it CLEAN EATING foods in right proportions, it's amazing how much more energy you will have, weight you will lose, skin that's prettier, less sickness, etc!  My journey started when I read THE EAT CLEAN series by Tosca Reno.  I will never be the same and my family can share in this journey right along with me and they are healthier b/c of it!  My kids actually WANT to choose the healthier choices most of the time b/c they know how the "non food" makes them feel.  What we eat today will determine what illnesses and diseases we will have 10/15/20 + years from now.

Ok...I'm done preaching...HA!  I am just so passionate about this b/c I feel better at 41 than I did at 25!   I used to be a 2 liter a day diet coke junkie that ran through the drive through with my kids all the time.  Wish I knew then what I know now!

Thanks for all you do, JD!!  This has definitely gotten people to think about this topic!!

Blessings,
Tammy
3/16/2011 11:34:42 AM
Mireya Teran United States
Mireya Teran
Hi JD!
I have something to say about diets.
People try everything to lose weight. Exercise, eat right, "magic pills", etc, and they still can't lose weight. But it's not we who fall short; it's our diets!
Problem #1. A Quick Fix. Dieters often drastically restrict their calories or food choices now but return to their old habits once they reach their goal. Solution: Permanent lifestyle changes are needed to achieve sustained weight loss.

Problem #2. Fad Diets = Unbalanced Nutrition. Too often, diets focus on specific types of foods or nutrients and disregard the importance of everything else, leading to unbalanced nutrition. Solution: For optimal nutrition, our bodies need a balanced variety of nutrients, including the right types of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.

Problem #3. The High-Glycemic Trap. Eating high-glycemic foods can sabotage even the best of diet plans bacause the resulting spike and subsequent drop in blood sugar leads to a more rapid return to feelings of hunger. Solution: A better approach focuses on low-glycemic carbohydrates, which help to moderate blood glucose levels, leaving you feeling full and satisfied longer.

You know, it's not about diets, it's about simple lifestyle changes.
Dr. Ray Strand explains it better. I share with everybody the information. God bless! Smile

3/16/2011 11:36:51 AM
Pat United States
Pat
Global hunger has been a concern of mine for quite a while. In May 2010 I could no longer justify frivolously spending money on frequent dining out and buying comfort snacks.  I eat the basics of protein, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains in moderate portions.  I am also a Type II diabetic but not on meds as my blood sugars are within normal ranges.  However, as my diet changed, my AIC has dropped almost below the low end for diabetic diagnosis.  My bad cholesterol has dropped to two points below normal.  Last May I moved my exercise bike to my living room and started out just 5 minutes a day, working up to 30 minutes every single day.  I also do upper body aerobics while riding my bike.  We won't talk about my falling off the bike one time doing that! I don't miss the junk food, the sweets, the fast foods because I know that these are luxuries that many people cannot afford.  By changing my eating habits I have more money to donate to my church and to causes that support eradicating hunger.
3/16/2011 11:42:57 AM
Jeanne D United States
Jeanne D
I agree with Joyce.  Weight Watcher's online worked real well for me too.  I lost 40 pounds in 2009 and have kept most of it off.  But like any thing worthwhile it takes discipline and focus.  Last year I ran a 5k a month, and this year I'm going to run my first 10k.  When it comes to the exercise part, you have to find what you love or at the very least what your body will put up with (I may have to give up the running; it's too hard on my knees).  But what had start my whole fitness & diet kick was a sermon at church about our bodies being the temple of God.  I wouldn't treat a building the way I was treating my body, so I knew I needed to stop what I was doing and take care of myself better.  That doesn't mean I don't eat chocolate or potato chips or cookies, I just try not to eat the whole bag.  A very tough thing for an emotional eater.  But like many others have said, it's a lifestyle change.  If you think of it as just a "diet" it will always be a four letter word.
3/16/2011 11:46:01 AM
Celestina United States
Celestina
For those looking for motivation, you have to look inward.  Reflect on your reasons for wanting to lose weight.  If your reasons are fleeting then your actions will be as well.  This will be what motivates you and will sustain you through the ups and downs of your weight loss journey.  Additionally it will be what gets you to shift your perspective to the "long run" ahead.  Be realistic in your goals as well: a healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week, look at your time frame and calculate..then ask yourself are your expectations unreasonable.  Celebrate your victories and don't beat yourself up when you make mistakes:  Your value is God given and has nothing to do with your body and how you look.  I liken weight loss to your Christian walk...You are in it for the long run, and your entire lifestyle has to change, but it doesn't happen overnight.  Be patient and be consistent always taking the time to re-evaluate your weight loss walk.  Hope that helps...if you want some talk therapy I'm all ears:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/celestinaroberts
3/16/2011 11:51:39 AM
Laura United States
Laura
Made to Crave by Lysa Terkerst!! It will change your whole outlook!!
3/16/2011 12:05:53 PM
Sherri P United States
Sherri P
JD,
When I was younger, I always ran.  If I ate too much it was no big deal, because I would just strap on my sneakers and run and run (as long as the batteries on my walkman held out).  Now I am 42 and in the last 10 years or so, I have more problems with running.  It has always been something for me- ankle, knee, hip, back pain.  After I had my 3rd child 5 years ago, my weight went WAY up!  I started exercising all the time.  For 3 years, I did not lose anything. Then it really started bothering me, because I started gaining again- So I started praying about it.
Within a week I got a brochure at my door from Rodale for The Hormone Diet by Natasha Turner, ND.
When I got it back, I read the first 39 pages then came to a survey.  I took the survey and put the values into a Treatment Pyramid.  This pyramid showed you what things YOU specifically needed to do to balance your body.  (I have been doing Yoga for 10 years and had teachers speak to me of this balance, but I never understood what they meant). Now if you do not have time to read the whole book right away, you can begin by going to the sections of the book that your pyramid says you need to work on.

I started this 8-29-10.  The day I got my book.  As I read the book, it started looking for the items the book said to eat.  I started my morning smoothie for inflammation control.  I did not throw anything away out of my pantry, I simply ate what was left, and found a "replacement" product for that food I was eating.

There is a 2 week detox (you can order these vitamins recommended or I can help you with ones that you can buy down the street that work just as good) where you remove some foods. I did not start this right away, because of the cleaning out of the pantry.  Some of the foods that are to be left out for the detox I did not eat anyway so this was not a huge deal.  Sugar and white flour are the hardest.  I substituted Honey and Whole wheat flour.  Anyway, after this 2 week detox, you reintroduce foods one at a time to see which ones make you feel bad.  You will know!

I lost 12 lbs right away.  Before I even started the detox.  It is now almost 6 months later and I am down 31 lbs.  (Christmas set me back a bit).  But I feel better now at 208 than I did when I was a kid at 155.  By December 9th, my pyramid was almost all at values that are balanced.  The top 2 are the only ones that remain - Renewal and Strength.  But the idea of the pyramid is to start with the ones towards the base and work your way up.

There is something to what your trainer said about real foods that God made for us.  One of the things the book says that I do not agree with is eating a bar as a snack.  I just grab a piece of fruit and 10 nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds) and this has been perfect for me.

I read the whole book in 30 days, taking notes whenever I felt that a certain passage pertained to me.  Then I took my notes (I used a small notebook that I keep in my purse) into a health food store here in Cincinnati and she directed me to the vitamins I needed to add.

I have seen the book in our public library, so I say go check it out.  Look through it and take the survey (copy it first).  See if this fits you.  Not only have I went from a size 20-22 that was starting to feel really tight TO a 16.  I no longer have hot flashes and night sweats.

This information has been such a blessing for me.  I felt like I always watched my portions, ate healthy foods, and excercised.  But food labels are misleading.  I took the absolute NO-NO food ingredients and put them on my coupon container that I take to the store with me.  I am constantly referring to it, even now.

I have not worked out during any of this, I was literally in so much pain.  The only workout I get is Now I can clean my house and I am able to lift things better.  Maybe by summer, I will be able to start working out again.  But for now I feels lovely just to be healing.

I wish you all the best, feel free to email me if you have any questions.
3/16/2011 12:15:39 PM
Andrea Peterson United States
Andrea Peterson
I have decided that my diet starts every Monday, and ends every Tuesday. I am who I am, and have decided that if anyone has an issue with that, well they can deal with it. Life is to short to worry about way I look on the outside, it is the inside that matters.
3/16/2011 12:16:50 PM
Mary United States
Mary
JD,
On 8/1/10, my soulmate and I made a lifestyle change.  We had been watching a show called "Know the Cause" with Doug Kauffmann.  We ordered one of the cookbooks and started following the "Phase 1" way of eating.  After two weeks, we transitioned into the "Phase 2" stage.  My husband has lost nearly 45 pounds since that time, usually a pound or so a week since the initial rapid weight loss.  We have so much more energy and are eating so healthy - no processed sugars, no yeast, no fungus - delicious food, very little to none of it comes from a box.  My husband has cut two of his prescriptions in half and discontinued taking one altogether.  Praise God!
3/16/2011 12:17:39 PM
Trish. M Canada
Trish. M
Hey! First have to say how grateful I am for this radio station love love love it! We stumbled upon this site when we were in augusta ME last summer and listened ever since. On the diet topic, I have been doing weight watchers since last may and have lost 25 in total, 15 since end of january ... and can say this is the first diet that fits a lifestyle not just a fad. As many times as I get off track I always get back on because as their slogan says "it works" Love it! Anyhow just thought id share my find!!
                In christian Love.
      Keep on spreading Gods wonderful word.
3/16/2011 12:19:15 PM
justina United States
justina
I have tried to diet. Unfortunately so far that has always failed after short periods of time, even if they were successful at the moment. So for about the past six to seven months, I have just made up my mind not to make such big portions. Also, I have quit buying those yummy, unhealthy snacks. If the food just isn't there, YOU CANT EAT IT! Therefore eliminating the option of giving in to sudden temptations. That with a little bit of working out in the mixture has made a much bigger difference that any "diet" I have tried! Not only have I lost a healthy amount of weight, I feel so much healthier!...and i get to enjoy the occasional slice of cheesecake or pasta, just a smaller portion. Smile
3/16/2011 12:20:18 PM
Sarah United States
Sarah
JD,
I don't follow an actual diet from a book or web site. I just stick to going to the gym on my lunch break (as often , being active with my toddler, and eating as healthy as possible. I indulge here and there but otherwise try to keep with the lean meats, fruits, veggies. I need to be a good example to my family, because in today's world it is up to us to be the role models for the next generation!
3/16/2011 12:21:01 PM
Dianne United States
Dianne
I have had an eating disorder for the last 32 years and for the first time in my life I have given it over to God and have truly lived recovery. But I have to be honest and when I am around other people who are always talking about dieting and exercising I feel so guilty I am not doing it also. I have finally allowed myself to eat all of the "Forbidden" foods and when I read any kind of nutrition plan they are all about cutting sugar, protein, fat or even carbs out in some fashion which leads me to always feel guilty for eating any of the "Forbidden" foods. I use to restrict myself to no more than 500 calaries a day and they all had to be no fat and nutritionist, and my whole body and metabolism is messed up because of it. This is why I can't wait to get to heaven and sit at the table of my Lord and Feast at his table. I know I will never struggle with FOOD there.
So, I guess I hate diets, my whole life has been a diet with excessive exercise and when I die, is it really going to matter if I weigh 100 or 200 hundred pounds. I doubt it, not unless the gates to heaven are very small. My body is a temple of God and I need to care for it in a practical matter, and I think God would want us all to enjoy life here on earth as much as possible.
3/16/2011 12:22:19 PM
Brenda United States
Brenda
I am what is called a "stress eater" when I am under stress I eat.  Of course one of my
co-workers loves to keep me under stress because thats the type of person she is.  I have bloomed up to over 200 this last winter and am currently doing the weight watchers on-line but find its hard but I am trusting in God to help me do it.  I want to thank the many comments on here that have given me numerous ideas to help me along.
3/16/2011 12:23:31 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
I just started a program that lets you eat what you want. The program is called Naturally Slim. What it does is teach you how to eat. It teaches you to eat in moderation, to eat slower and within a certain amount of time. It's difficult, I will admit, but if it can help me lose weight it will be worth it in the end.
3/16/2011 12:24:40 PM
Marcy Duhon United States
Marcy Duhon
I was a morbidly obese miserable alcoholic and..I had been arguing with GOD for 3 years about my usefulness here on Earth..I wanted to drink and eat and do what I wanted to do..No matter how many times I got sick or screwed up stuff in my life, I refused to listen to HIM quietly telling me that this was NOT the way HE intended me to live my life...Finally on June 28th of last yr (2010)...I cried out to HIM to help me..to save me..and HE has!! I quit drinking beer everyday..and I started eating better and more moderately...after a couple of weeks, I started walking every day...the more i've walked and eaten healthy the better I feel..PRAISE JESUS..HE has guided me through every step..Some days when it was 95 degress with 95% humidity (gotta love Louisiana)..HE'D carry me so I could finish my hour of exercise...I have lost 106lbs..feel better than I have in years..and as someone said the other day...I am glowing..GLOWING from HIS love coming through me..I try to share my story at every opportunity because I know this is what HE wants...If I can convince even one person..that HE is the true redeemer!! That is why HE put me here on this earth...to lead people to HIM...moderation is the key..no foods are off limits..just always ask yourself WWJD...and it only makes sense that HE wouldn't drink a 12pack in one sitting..HE wouldn't eat the whole pie...GOD BLESS everyone....PEACE!!
3/16/2011 12:25:23 PM
Kayla United States
Kayla
Talking about DIET. Remember that the first 3 letters of DIET are DIE. Meaning you shouldn't kill yourself to be "perfect". I have struggled with my weight, but I lost over 120 lbs over about a year and a half, and I still want to lose 36 more pounds. I made changes in what I ate. For example...I would eat a sandwich on sourdough bread with extra veggies, and then instead of chips I would eat baby carrot sticks. You still get the crunch and you get an extra "sweet" with it. Be sure to eat breakfast, and the challenge yourself with a pedometer! Try to take 10,000 steps a day!!

Motivation...well, for me and to lose the 36lbs, I am planning a 15 year Vow Renewal Ceremony with my husband, and I want a particular dress, so that is what is helping me!

But the main part, is PRAYING. Pray for your freedom from the bondage of satan and his use of food over your life!

Love in Christ,
Kay'La
3/16/2011 12:26:27 PM
tracy United States
tracy
as a personal trainer, I get the question all the time ...how do I lose weight..there is no magic pill, no magic diet,  you must make a lifestyle change.  very simply put it is burning more calories than you eat that's it.  calories in calories out.  One pound is 3500 calories. I suggest writing down everything that goes in your mouth.  It adds up a fast.  if your bmr which is the calories you burn at rest is 2500 and you only eat 2000 u will 500 calories left that day. do that for 7 days 7 x 500 is 3500 that equals 1lb. I don't suggest cutting out carbohydrates.  because when u start eating them again you will gain weight.  no matter how you lose the weight if you go back to the way you were eating before you will gain your weight back.

Thx! Tracy!
3/16/2011 12:26:43 PM
Spencer Cassler United States
Spencer Cassler
JD-
I discovered K-Love for the first time a month ago and cannot stop listening to this wonderful music which is bringing me closer to Christ. Thank you for taking the time to write this blog and sharing your thoughts. Back in 2009, I was at an all time high of 285lbs. and could not bend down to tie my shoes without getting out of breath. I was so unhealthy from a lack of exercise and eating unhealthy foods. My outward physical body was a reflection of the inward turmoil I was going through. I found myself addicted to unhealthy fast foods and needed a full transformation inside and out. I was blessed to find a wonderful online site called Transformation.com found by Body for Life New York Times Best Seller author Bill Phillips. I took on his 18 week Challenge and followed his free nutrition and exercise plan which is healthy and balanced. At the end of 18 weeks, I lost 60 pounds and was blessed to be named a Transformation Champion. By winning the challenge, my wife and I were able to give a donation to the Make-A-Wish children. My wife was inspired by my transformation and followed the nutrition and exercise program outlined by Bill Phillips and saw positive results herself. The great thing about Transformation.com is the positive loving community that provides support and encouragenment. Please take the time to check it out. Its free and based on love, support, and encouragement.

3/16/2011 12:26:50 PM
Gayle United States
Gayle
When I was 17 years old I worked at a place called Elaine Powers Figure Salon. We gave advice about diets as well as lead excercise classes for 15 minutes out of every hour we were there. I remember weighing this one lady on the day after we had set our wedding date. Of course I was bubbling over with excitement as I weighed her and she quickly asked me what was going on. When I told her about my excitement she replied with this comment after asking me how much I weighed.  "I remembering being your size when I got married and I just had my 25th anniversary." Seeing I just finished weighing her my mind went into turbo mode and figured with her being 50 lbs. heavier than me that it would only take 2 lb weight gain a year and I'd be her size too on my 25th anniversary. Yikes, I knew I didn't want to even be 25 lbs. heavier and that would only be 1 lb. a year. It hit me like a cememnt block and I knew that I'd be keeping a daily watch on the scale and never let the numbers get away with me. I've not sacrificed enjoying foods of any kind but have eaten in moderation and tried to do some sort of excercise through the 38 years of our marriage. As of this morning I still weight a pound less than on my wedding day. And I'll quickly add 'to GOD be the glory'!!
3/16/2011 12:27:01 PM
Mary United States
Mary
I have been "fat" since grade schoo;l, and as I got older I believed there wasn't much hope for me.  I am a "carbaholic," so the no carb route was not going to work.  I went back to Weight Watchers in October 2002, lost 65 lbs and am still at my goal weight nine years later.  When I wrapped my mind around the fact that it is NOT a diet, but a way of life, it got easier.  I am not a failure when I have too much, and gain a pound or 2, I just get back on program, and it is one you can live with at home, or eating out.  I am 69 years old, have been in a wheelchair since age 17, so obviously I am not working out and jogging.  I would recommend this program for anyone.  No food group is eliminated, and as I said, it is a way of life, NOT a diet.
I love KLOVE, thank you for all you do.  It is so obious that you truly care about the people that call in or write to you.  May God richly bless and keep you in His will and His word.
Mary Knopp
3/16/2011 12:30:59 PM
tracy United States
tracy
Not to mention if you work out, and burn 500 calories a day that will beat an extra pound a week
3/16/2011 12:33:25 PM
Karen J Miller United States
Karen J Miller
I so thoroughly enjoyed your post, JD!  Way better than deep fried pork skins!
I am so glad you brought up the aspect of our attitudes about being fat.  "Dieting" is a miserable state to be in! However...working towards changing our lifestyle habits so we are eating and living in ways that are beneficial to our health is an attitude that is possible and has kinder, lifelong-lasting results.  Amen!  This is one of my passions that I blog about myself at Ladies Living Large and Healthy (www.karenjmiller.info)
Karen
3/16/2011 12:35:15 PM
Art Collier United States
Art Collier
Hey there been listening all day and really didn't know whether or not to say anything but 2 years ago my wife went from a 12 to a 4 in sizes and lost 35 pounds in 9 weeks. The maintenance  on this program has been so easy for her.Theirs Hundreds of stories just like her's in Indy. We have Dr. Robert Hackman,Ph.D,Board Chair Research Professor,Department of Nutrition,University of California Davis. We help people every day make life changes with some of the top Science in the world. Come check it out Renaissance Indianapolis north Hotel- Tuesday the 22nd at 7:00 Ask for Art or Jen. Our website is Advocareindiana.com
3/16/2011 12:35:44 PM
Sharon United States
Sharon
I agree with the eating better, smaller portions, ect. that's how I lost weight a few years ago. (unfortunately it's all come back since I'm in college, but I'm working to get it off again) But, my Biggest thing was moving! I'm not crazy about going to the gym, I can do it but I don't really like it. However, I do like to Play,go swimming, hula hoop, roller blade, ride a bike, hike a nature trail, and my ABSOLUTE favorite karate class! By starting karate I got in better shape, and wanted to eat better to benefit my karate training.
3/16/2011 12:41:19 PM
Art Collier United States
Art Collier
Diets starve fat and Muscle. Great Nutrition starve just the fat and preserves lean muscle.
3/16/2011 12:42:53 PM
Kim United States
Kim
I have always fought my weight and always had eaten what I wanted.  However I have recently had health issues and it is much better to think of it as Living Healthy and living longer, then it is to think of diet and losing weight.  If you eat better the weight WILL come off.

Good Luck.

Kim
3/16/2011 12:46:52 PM
Mireya Teran United States
Mireya Teran
The battle is won at the grocerie store!!!

I wrote earlier but I wanted to share a little bit about our experience on losing/keeping our weight.

My husband & I did a 5 day detox called RESET and it mainly consisted of replacing 3 meals with shakes, snack bars and a portion of veggies & fruit a day. It literally helped us to reset our cravings and gave us a jumpstart to a lifelong health.
M husband lost 9 1/2 lbs. I lost 7 1/2 after the 5 days. But it didn't ended there.
We continued with exercise and eating Low Glycemic meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We never go hungry and we don't gain weight eating this way! We eat 5 times a day and the food leaves us feeling full and satisfied longer!

If you're interested in knowing what kind of foods to eat, you can email me and I'll email you a list and some recipes.
miriteran@yahoo.com

God bless you! Smile

3/16/2011 12:52:36 PM
Tammy United States
Tammy
I started Weight Watchers with my sister in January this year.  Amazingly, together we have lost a total of 40 pounds (16 for me, which is about 2 lbs per week) and I never feel like I'm deprived.  I eat anything I want.  The key is that every food has a point value and you count the points.  You get a certain number of points each day and then additional "weekly" points (49 of those) and it is the best plan I have ever been on.  I call it a plan and not a diet, because I intend to do this for the rest of my life.  Within a week, no more acid reflux and after a month, my knees and feet stopped hurting.  Carrying less weight around can do that.  It really is the best thing out there and I've tried a lot of things (so has my sister). It helps you make great food choices but doesn't limit what you can have by cutting out certain foods.  LOVE IT!!!!
3/16/2011 12:55:25 PM
Donna United States
Donna
I think Weight Watchers is the best beause it is not a "DIET" is is a lifestyle change.There is nothing that you can't have in moderation. It is easy to stick to and satisfying
3/16/2011 12:58:49 PM
Mark Moline United States
Mark Moline
I have found a wonderfull product that promotes all around health and weight mangagement. This product is called Zija and is from the Moringa tree. It has 46 antioxidants, 36 anti-inflmmatories, omegas 3,6, and 9, all 20 amino acids including the 9essential that our bodies don't produce. In all over 90 verifiable positive health benefits. Thid party validation from the Discovery channel, John Hopkins University, and the National Institutes of Health. Check it out at wwwmmoline@myzija.com Click on about me and watch the video, it's really worth your time!
POOR = Pasing over opratuinites repeatedly! Think about it......
3/16/2011 1:19:06 PM
Jean Chauncey United States
Jean Chauncey
The problem with eating right is that it costs so much. I can't afford to eat right even though I need to.  I have to buy the cheapest thing I can just to try to streatch the meals.   Not just that it's hard to diet when other people in the house bring in stuff like banna nut bread, brownies, chocolate cake, sweet rolls, etc.... Not trying to make any one hungry but that's hard to resist when it's right there in front of you and you've been eating that kind of stuff all your life.
3/16/2011 1:19:28 PM
Sharron Voeltz United States
Sharron Voeltz
I have found a great new Patented, Low-Glycemic, Thermogenic, Fat-Burning Coffee and Tea.  It WORKS!!  Drink Coffee.  Burn Fat.  Make Money.  www.bfreesystem.com/sharronv   I think the hardest part of losing weight it keeping it off after you have lost the weight.  It is better to think of it as a life change and not a diet.  Diet is a bad 4 letter word.
3/16/2011 1:32:58 PM
Maija Sevigny United States
Maija Sevigny
Hi, I have found a great product that is all natural. And you average about 20lbs in the first month. It is called Zi Xiu Tang. It is so good that people are actually trying to counterfeit it. So go to www.aaabeepollen.com and get the real stuff. It has all the product info and what is in it ect. It makes you feel great. It helps detox you and you just lose weight. GREAT GREAT GREAT product. LOVE IT!
3/16/2011 1:40:16 PM
Sonya United States
Sonya
I have been using www.myfitnesspal.com which is super easy and FREE.  There is also an app for smartphones, but I don't have one so I've just been using the website.  You type in your info, height, weight, age, goal, etc.  Then you tell it how much you want to lose per week and it tells you how many calories you get per day.  They have a huge database that you can look up food in and then track it and track your exercise to get more calories (yay).  My favorite part of it, though, it that you can type in all your ingredients for things you make at home.  That is SO helpful, since I make food for my family every day and don't want to just eat pre-packaged foods.
3/16/2011 1:42:02 PM
Sonya United States
Sonya
PS-  I have done Weight Watchers, too, and it worked, but just doesn't fit my home-made lifestyle.
3/16/2011 2:21:30 PM
Billy United States
Billy
The word Diet has been thrown around too much. A diet to me is something you do to get a certain result and then most return right back to foods/life they were living. I have learned in the last year of doing P90x and Insanity that if you truly want to be healthy and fit, it needs to be a lifestyle change, its something that you must desire to do. If its just for a season or to get a "beachbody" for a trip, then to me its not worth it. You are messing with your body and in a bad way. I try to eat clean, healthy, everyday. I have made this my goal since I really realized how my body feels now. Sure I will do certain "diet" cleanse's i/e a gluten free, or vegan cleanse but its not a diet. I am seriously considering a gluten free lifestyle now too. You would be amazed how much better you feel. I was skeptical to say the least but now into my 3rd week I feel great and I am getting even more ripped than I could have though. I have lost nearly 80lbs since starting my life style change. A passage of scripture hit hard the other day. I don't remember the verse but the Bible says that our bodies are the Temple of God in Christ. Personally I want my temple as clean as it can be and to me this means taking care of my physical health just as much as my spiritual health as well.
3/16/2011 2:51:55 PM
Joel United States
Joel
We have been using products from a company called Kyani. One of the products is NitroFx, which increases the body's production of Nitric Oxide. NO controls the circulation of blood. At age 25, our body's NO depletion starts. Without adequate blood flow a lot of major health problems begin. The NitroFX is an all natural extract from the Noni plant. As of March 1st, we released a new product NitroXtreme. Increased energy levels are creating a natural weight loss. We are having some amazing results with this product. 1 has been using for 3 days and lost 3 lbs. Another has used for 5 days and lost 7 lbs. Again, great results. Just found out that one lady suffered from Lupos for 20 yrs. From using NitroFx, no more symptoms of Lupos and both leg braces are needed no more. Better blood flow = healthy body. More info at www.workwithjoel.com. Thanks for letting me ramble on. God Bless.
3/16/2011 3:12:14 PM
Jacqueline United States
Jacqueline
Hi JD Smile
You know we are creatures of habits. It takes 90 days to quit what ever bad habit! Im not going to bore you and tell you what to eat or drink more water! You know that! Dont let the enemy tempt you the more you start saying NO to all those bad foods, it starts impowering YOU!
3/16/2011 3:15:53 PM
Jacqueline United States
Jacqueline
God Bless you JD you have the power to do it! With Father God on your side you can do anything!!!!
3/16/2011 3:17:02 PM
Ron Gabbard United States
Ron Gabbard
I don't think anyone needs to diet. Why don't we just eat the right way and exercise? I mean really, I started doing P90X and im in the best shape ever and now, replacing the junk I used to eat with 1 Shakeology a day has gotten me off my anxiety and Blood Pressure meds... www.rongabbard.com is my pics and HealthyRon.com is all the info on Shakeology you need. This isnt't a plug for me.. buy it from anyone.. changing your eating habits and get off your butt really works...
3/16/2011 4:27:01 PM
Debbie United States
Debbie
JD, Heard you talking about diets during my lunch hour today.  I joined Weight Watchers again in March of last year.  I say "again", because this is my 3rd time, but the difference this time is I'm totally devoted to this life change.   My husband did the program with me & lost 28-30 pounds, while I've lost 67.8 pounds and still have about 13 to go.  The nice thing about WW it's a life change and you don't deprive yourself of food.  You eat what everyone else eats, but learn how to eat in moderation.  It's a great plan.
3/16/2011 5:03:26 PM
Angie United States
Angie
Hi JD....
Heard you talk today and I'd like to share something that I'm learning......Satisfy your deepest desire with God and not food.  A great book that is helping me get off the diet cycle.....Made to Crave by Lisa TerKeurst

info @ book:  Has food become your source of comfort? After a hard day at work, or a long day with the kids, don't you deserve that big piece of chocolate cake? Lysa TerKeurst used to think so, but that was before God showed her that what she really needed was more of Himself. In Made to Crave, Lysa won't tell you what to eat or how much to exercise, rather she explores why we make unhealthy food choices. She'll help you discover what it is you're really seeking, and how that need can only be met in our faithful Heavenly Father. And when your cravings are satisfied with His love, a healthy body will follow. Focus on the Family Recommendation.
3/16/2011 5:03:32 PM
Shannon United States
Shannon
I found this great thing. It is called Zrii. It is not just a diet, its a healthy life style. It is all natural products with no perservatives, and the effects are amazing. I have lost 3.5 pounds this week, and I feel so much better. I have no aches and pains, I used to wake up every morning and my back would hurt, and now it doesn't. My joints and knees no longer give me grief. My grandma wants to try it for her arthritis. It is great. If you want to know more you can email me and I will give you any info you want. hope120205@gmail.com
3/17/2011 6:26:06 AM
Emily Jarvis United States
Emily Jarvis
I heard you talking about your blog yesterday but I was on my way to run some errands then work and didn't have access to a computer. You should really check out this site www.kevinsweightlossjourney.com
This guy, not only is his story amazing, but he's doing it all for the glory of God!! He has been an inspiration to me, both physically and spiritually. He lost over 200 pounds in less then a year and he did it on his own the old fashion way!! It's really worth checking out!