Mar 18 2011

T.G.I. TODAY...

Friday is my favorite day. Yes...Friday. Now, now don't get me wrong...I love Saturdays and Sundays too...it's just that I always think the weekend is going to be longer! By the time Sunday rolls around, I realize just how short it really is. Even if it's a three day weekend...it's always too short. So, back to Friday, and the reason it's my favorite day of the week...(Wait for it...wait for it.)...it's the hope and anticipation of the weekend! On Friday, the whole weekend is ahead of us...just like the 80's song...Everybody's Workin' For the Weekend! Just think of all the projects we're gonna get done...yard work...church activities...all the chillin' and grillin'...all of the kickin' back!!! But, alas...it's really only just a couple days. I'm sorry...I didn't mean to burst your bubble. There's a quote that goes something like this; "A man spends his whole life fishing, never realizing it's not the fish he's after". For me, Friday represents the hope of tomorrow...but, at the same time...to be thankful for today. Too many times, we are so looking forward to something in the future...that we forget how to live in the present. If we start every day by asking God, "What do You have for me to do today?"...it might just be the start of something new, that you'd never before dreamed was possible.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." Hebrews 3:13

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." Hebrews 10:24

He's given you today...what are you going to do with it?!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (27) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/18/2011 6:58:48 AM
Barbara United States
Barbara
I agree with all you said. I have tried to find out what God wants me to do and have realized maybe I am doing what He wants. Trying to live my life as best I can and showing His love to those around me.
3/18/2011 7:51:40 AM
Tracy United States
Tracy
I have enjoyed all of your blogs.  As we go through life, we are constantly being told to plan for the future- education / career/ retirement goals.  thank you for reminding me that God wants me for Today.

God Bless,
Tracy
3/18/2011 8:11:59 AM
Terry United States
Terry
I apologize in advance for the length of this comment, I hope you'll still read and consider it. JD what you say is true. However I have a caviat. Fridays are truly filled with hope for the coming weekend. However, I TRY not to live in anticipation of anything (other than Jesus' return and meeting my savior face to face - Mercy Me's - I Can Only Imagine - is a great reminder of that), I say I try not to live in anticipation (but I fail at this alot too) because very rarely do the things we anticipate live up to our expectations. It's kinda like the weekend being too short or not hearing your favorite songs at a concert, etc. I know this sounds negative, but it's really not. Because when you don't anticipate, you open yourself up to being surprised and awed. I'll give you an example. Last night I went to a local "school" where hair stylists learn their trade. I anticipated an average haircut and average experience (haircuts are pretty mundane, for me anyway), but it turned out to be the best haircut experience I've ever had. The interaction between myself, the student and the instructor was HILARIOUS. I've never laughed so much during a haircut. The student made mistakes and the instructor made corrections (hey it's only hair), I ended up with a MUCH SHORTER haircut than I had "anticipated" but hey, it'll will grow back. But the experience was one of the highlights of my week.
3/18/2011 8:12:45 AM
Roxi Blanchard United States
Roxi Blanchard
JD, you are speaking straight to my heart.  I have been told I have the spirit of Martha.  I am a planner which is a blessing but too often in my planning for tomorrow, I have missed the REST (in Him)God had for me today. So I go on day by day planning for tomorrow and many times find myself stressed.  "Be Still and Know that I am God" is written on a sticky-note and posted at the top of my computer.  It's a daily spiritual challenge for me.  I thank you K-Love and the team there for bringing God's peace throw radio. You are all a PERSONAL blessing to me.
Roxi
Gonzales, Louisiana
3/18/2011 8:17:57 AM
Jeri United States
Jeri
Great blog.  We hear so much about God's purpose for our lives--what is, how do I find it, etc...  Finally one day God hit me with it--your purpose is to love those around you every day in every situation.  Be kind to the cashier at the grocery store even if he/she is not doing such a great job; say hi to the neigbor you don't know & hardly ever see even though you live next door; tell the greeter at Walmart to have a nice day, etc.....  Simple, every day seemingly meaningless little things that show God's love to those around us.
3/18/2011 8:23:03 AM
Crystal French United States
Crystal French
Fridys are my favorite days of the week too as well as Saturdays and Sundays.Fridays I get to stay up late but not too late and then sleep in on Saturday mornings. I also like all your blogs. I am either in the mornings or right before I go to bed I always thank god for what he has done for me. given me and what he will do for me until I die.Sorry about this kinda of long comment but when it comes to talking about God I just love it.Thank you all.
3/18/2011 8:25:08 AM
Maddie United States
Maddie
Hey JD! I'm young and sometimes I feel like I have a lot of waiting to do before God will really start using me. Thanks for this awesome reminder that God wants to use me now.Smile I love when you said "If we start every day by asking God, 'What do You have for me to do today?'". I'm going to start doing that and having more faith that He will use me in my high school everyday. Smile I love what you're doing on KLOVE!
3/18/2011 8:28:29 AM
Nancy United States
Nancy
What I love about giving my time to God is at the time you don't know how it is being used....but then you look back and you can SEE how God used you.  We think miracles are only BIG -- like surviving an accident or beating cancer -- but God does a whole bunch of LITTLE miracles EVERY day.  Open your heart, give it TOTALLY to God. He's knocking, will you let him in.  Knowing God is not the same as living for God.  I call it head knowledge verses heart knowledge. Anyone can know God, but when He lives in your heart He controls your life.  When you do, that nice sports car no longer looks as good, that large house gets TOO big, you see the world through God's eyes and it looks SO much different...but it's a look worth seeing!  Let God do a little miracle through you today - it will change your life!
3/18/2011 8:35:41 AM
Katie French United States
Katie French
Hey yeah!!! I am a fan of Fridays. Fridays rock. They r lik the best day of the week besides sundays. Smile
3/18/2011 9:09:22 AM
Vicky Collins United States
Vicky Collins
Every day I try to remember to ask God what I can do for him today. Some times he leads me to do something for someone, and sometimes he just leads me to enjoy another day to worship and praise him. Now God has lead me in a direction to witness to my husband. Last week he went to the Dr's for blood in his urine. They told him with this much blood they thought it was a tumor on his kidney. Let me tell you I hit my knees in prayer, and peace just settled over me. I knew God was in control and everything was going to be alright. I told my husband that night it was not a tumor on his kidney, and I got the look. So, after several test, it's not his kidney. Praise God! He does have a mass on his bladder and won't know if it's a tumor or just a blockage till they do surgery. Again all my trust and faith is in my heavenly father and I'm at peace. I'm not saying it's not a tumor,but I do know God is using me to witness and no matter what happens my husbands eyes will be opened a little wider, or he will give his life over to our heavenly father. Praise God that he is using me!
3/18/2011 9:59:12 AM
Janae Propeck United States
Janae Propeck
"Happy Today", JD!
3/18/2011 10:41:20 AM
Diahann United States
Diahann
J.D., I’m also a big fan of Fridays!  As we draw closer to the Sabbath, I look forward to the “rest” that we so desperately need in our busy lives.  God blessed and sanctified His holy day so that we, his creation, could follow His perfect example and find rest in Him.  Our lives should be dedicated to His service each and every day, but the Sabbath day (Saturday) provides an extra sweet icing on the cake of life!  Have a great weekend and may God continue to bless you and your ministry…
3/18/2011 11:17:10 AM
Nola United States
Nola
The bible doesn't mention the phrase "God's Will" very many times but one verse is pretty clear.  1 Thessolians 5:16-17 "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in ALL circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus".  Now that can be a hard pill to swallow some days.  The point is that we can't always see God's plan in hard circumstances but we aren't the ones righting the story either and we don't know how the story ends but God does and we have to find the good or potential good in all circumstances.  If you want to see real Joy, start praising God for the hard times.  Not only will it build this amazing character in you, you will KNOW true peace!

Sweet Blessings!
3/18/2011 11:44:44 AM
Lena Shirley United States
Lena Shirley
Thank you JD! Well I rode the transient to a favorite thrift store of mine, Wow did I have a great ride to the depo. My favorite driver picked me up, I even actually missed the one near my house too, it was perfect! He sang some uplifting songs of his, has always called me his sister too! What a Great start of a beautiful day! Nothing can spoil it, absoultely nothing! : ) God Bless you!LenaMae
3/18/2011 11:45:23 AM
Heidi United States
Heidi
When we are wanting to be used by God, obedience is a large part of it.  He asks us to do things that we may not be comfortable with.  And He does it in such a still quiet small voice that is can be quite easy to push the thought aside and ignore Him.  In my walk with God i have found that when I ignore Him, he will stop speaking. A few years ago I was so torn between being a mother, employee and wanting to serve the Lord more. I had tunnel vision in the area of service to God's kingdom. I thought it had to be some big thing requiring a huge commitment (like being a Sunday school teacher). But then, one day, I saw a butterfly! I mean I really saw it! A butterfly comes in on a breeze and leaves soon thereafter, but who does not have a smile in their heart after seeing one? Since then I am a very much "touch and go" service Christian. Like the net boy in tennis, I take each day as an adventure,looking for ways to lovingly touch this world, and then go on about my daily business. I have been so richly blessed by this way of living. (I give the glory to God with the cross I wear around my neck)
3/18/2011 11:52:48 AM
Michael United States
Michael
That is why He gave us the Sabbath and sanctified it - so that we can always remember Him and rely on Him for what we need each day.  I begin each morning and end each day asking Him to let HIS will be done in my life, as it is in Heaven.  My life has changed in ways you cannot imagine.  If we keep ALL His commandments (only the ordinances [KJV] were nailed to the cross) and follow Him wherever He leads - our hand in His, just as David, our lives will never be the same (1 John 2,3,5; Rev 12:17, 14:12).  By the way, Saturday, the seventh day, is my favorite day, because it is the day God gave us to be with Him. Smile
3/18/2011 12:40:34 PM
Diahann United States
Diahann
Amen to that Michael!  We serve an Awesome and Amazing God.  His love for us is unfailing...
3/18/2011 1:18:02 PM
james cherry United States
james cherry
i encourage you to do what the has asked you to do.  the LORD holds all of us accountable.  i'm in full time ministry and i like to praise the LORD properly.  some of your songs are not what the LORD wants. some of your songs properly honor the LORD.
3/19/2011 9:20:15 AM
Lou United States
Lou
thank you for being the dj today... I have missed WGCF in Kevil and was only getting WKYQ on the radio at work. for some reason yesterday I turned the dial and your station was on the air. WOW!!. I like your quotes from the bible on the bottom. But Heb 3-13 got to me. I have a child that needs a lot of praying for. I want to see her grow in the faith and leave the world behind. Thank you for your music.
Lou
3/19/2011 12:17:33 PM
Kendra United States
Kendra
God is so awesome! I love K-love & about a month ago
I resolved to replace 2 sections of my radio listening to
K-Love & I am hooked. My attitude at work has improved, even though work isn't better, God's grace is sufficient!
Thank you! By the way since the roadshow in Spfld, Mo my 16 yr old has been listening too! Thx again! May God bless & keep u!(all)
3/19/2011 12:23:28 PM
Melodiousness United States
Melodiousness
True, I have found myself looking to much into the future, that it stresses me out not so much anticipation... And Fridays are my victory days that leads to two days of sleeping in, time with my familia and church of courseSmile I see Fridays as my last duty of the week which leads to the weekend (and as you pointed out only two days, but sometimes the two days I NEED) Will be checking up on your blog all you have written are great and I would love to read more. Thanks JD!!Smile
3/19/2011 3:31:06 PM
Joan United States
Joan
If you've been waiting for your "ministry"...or "some day God is going to use me"...I can tell you, that He wants to use you today!

So true!  I heard you say this on the radio and am just in agreement with what you said and wanted to say so.  Blessings!
3/21/2011 9:06:30 AM
Dana United States
Dana
I heard you're going to France? I think I heard it wrong but Good Luck. We'll miss you! May God be with you!
Have a God-filled day,
Dana
3/21/2011 1:42:31 PM
Debbi Hicks United States
Debbi Hicks
JD - I pray that God will be with you and touch every single person you come in contact in France; that each person you touch will know God's unconditional love through you.
I pray that He blesses you with the strength and peace to carry out His mission and that you and your ministry team will feel His peace and love. Praise Jesus for people like you.  Look out France! God is coming.
Love,Debbi
3/22/2011 3:08:28 PM
How Did You Do It United States
How Did You Do It
You asked a while back to comment how you lost weight on your blog.  I'm just perusing your blog and I love it!  I blog about my weight loss journey, specifically how I lost 50 pounds last year.  I take a Christian/motivational perspective!  I pull a lot from topics shared on K-LOVE!  I love this radio station so much that I added it to my blog roll on my blog!

www.howdidyoudoit.wordpress.com
3/26/2011 11:45:59 AM
Juan Carlos Martinez United States
Juan Carlos Martinez
that is the way i am seeing life...after or nowdays in dificult situation i could laugth about it in stead of petyness and worries...you rock... Smile.... one more thing i do not have a cell to txt hit to enter to the give away of the cd hit' of the comming week but i would love to know if i could buy it pls i would love to keep nourishing my spirit and sould with greatfullness and truth.
4/5/2011 4:49:46 PM
Cindy United States
Cindy
I'm 47 and recently went to school for web design.  K-Love has inspired me to create my first website.  You all are invited to check it out and join.
God Bless You All!