Mar 06 2012

Prayer for Husbands

Christ Jesus, you have called me to love my wife tenderly and sacrificially, even as you love the church, but too often I know myself to be a selfish man with a distracted heart.

Please give me patience, gentleness, and kindness toward my wife, and the wisdom to value her for her gifts and ideas.

Teach me to be vulnerable with her, openly sharing my own heart and thoughts, hopes and fears, even as I seek to better understand her.

Remind me to be ever mindful of her interests and needs with each decision I make and to structure my life in such a way that she receives the best of my energy and attention, rather than the leftovers.

Give me courage to passionately pursue relationship with her even when I feel wronged or wounded.

Let me become for her a man of tenderness, kindness, creativity, and integrity, protecting and cherishing her by vigilantly guarding my own eyes and heart.

Above all, teach me to lead as you led, Jesus, in humility and service.

Only by your grace can I be a godly man and a good husband for my wife.

Lead me Lord, I pray.

Amen

"Lead Me" by Sanctus Real

I look around and see my wonderful life

Almost perfect from the outside

In picture frames I see my beautiful wife

Always smiling

But on the inside, I can hear her saying...

“Lead me with strong hands

Stand up when I can't

Don't leave me hungry for love

Chasing dreams, what about us?

Show me you're willing to fight

That I'm still the love of your life

I know we call this our home

But I still feel alone”

I see their faces, look in their innocent eyes

They're just children from the outside

I'm working hard, I tell myself they'll be fine

They're in independent

But on the inside, I can hear them saying...

“Lead me with strong hands

Stand up when I can't

Don't leave me hungry for love

Chasing dreams, but what about us?

Show me you're willing to fight

That I'm still the love of your life

I know we call this our home

But I still feel alone”

So Father, give me the strength

To be everything I'm called to be

Oh, Father, show me the way

To lead them

Won't You lead me?

To lead them with strong hands

To stand up when they can't

Don't want to leave them hungry for love,

Chasing things that I could give up

I'll show them I'm willing to fight

And give them the best of my life

So we can call this our home

Lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone

Father, lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (17) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/6/2012 5:33:31 PM
Jeneane Weaver United States
Jeneane Weaver
JD this one is awesome also. But I just heard you read the Prayer for wives on the air, and I can't find it! Where can I get it also.  Thank you!
3/6/2012 6:27:09 PM
gail beauchamp United States
gail beauchamp
Loved both prays. They are beautiful.
3/6/2012 6:29:10 PM
Gwyn Wooten United States
Gwyn Wooten
I agree..this is awesome. I am printing it for my boyfriend. I can not find the wife prayer either.. Where can I find it?  Thank you and God Bless You....You do an outstanding job...Smile
3/6/2012 7:35:23 PM
Kim United States
Kim
JD,
My husband and I have hit a few bumps in our marriage and can't seem to communicate. I have felt emotionally abandoned for some time and can't seem to get through to him about the little things that I need from him. I finally got him to go to counseling with me last night and when we were done and in the car going home this prayer was being read on KLOVE followed by "Lead Me". We were'nt really speaking to each other but we certainly heard God speaking to us through that prayer and song. I heard the Wife's prayer tonight. I hear you God, I hear you!!Smile Thank you KLOVE
3/6/2012 7:49:34 PM
Edith Wienken-Washington United States
Edith Wienken-Washington
JD,  I was coming home from class at church and I heard you say we could find the wife's prayer on your page    however I am not able to find.   how or where can I get a copy.   thanks   keep up the great work and may God Bless you.
3/6/2012 8:16:30 PM
annette United States
annette
Where can I find the Wife Prayer? That was so beautiful and was exactly what I needed to hear.
3/6/2012 8:31:27 PM
***** United States
*****
The prayer for wives is on his (JD's)Facebook page.
3/6/2012 9:40:22 PM
pearl United States
pearl
I heard on the radio tonight the prayer for wife's but can you tell me where I can find it? I was not able to catch the entire prayer, but I wanted to print it and have it handy for me everyday.
3/6/2012 9:54:23 PM
Judi United States
Judi
LOVE these prayers.  I heard the wife prayer on the radio tonight on my home from work.  I'm not a wife anymore but it was truly lovely and I know it will impact the lives of many people.  Could you write one for students or single adults?
3/7/2012 4:39:49 AM
Robyn United States
Robyn
For those looking for the Prayer for Wives, please go to JD's Facebook page here, http://www.facebook.com/KLOVEJDChandler
3/7/2012 6:10:14 AM
June United States
June
I am still looking for the wife prayer. Where can I find it please.
3/7/2012 9:19:33 AM
Naomi Braswell United States
Naomi Braswell
This is an amazing prayer . . . where is one for us "wives"?  I think you said you had one.  And, how would you suggest that I approach my husband with the suggestion that he pray this prayer?  Perhaps, I dont!? This prayer expresses all I would ever need from him and sooooo much more!  Thank you.
3/7/2012 9:22:12 AM
Norma United States
Norma
I am also looking for the prayer for wives. I've been looking for it since last night after I heard it on the radio and it helped me at the right moment when I had anxiety and doubts about my motherhood and being a wife and at my work. Please post it soon. Thank you!

3/7/2012 1:35:30 PM
Don Sommer United States
Don Sommer
JD
Awesome prayer.
My wife and I have been married 23 years and yet I found it an amazing reminder of how much more I need to do to become a better husband. And I just found out about the song Lead Me about a month ago and it is absolutely awesome. The ending says it all to me,
"Lead me,'cause I can't do this alone"
Thanks JD.
3/7/2012 5:32:06 PM
Randy Brown United States
Randy Brown
These two prayers are awesome JD.  Thank you for posting them.  peace of christ
3/8/2012 5:33:41 PM
julio saldana United States
julio saldana
thank you so much i knew i could count on klove and our lord and savior sending out something so great even though its just words but words can change peoples lives.
3/14/2012 2:02:01 AM
Ricardo H United States
Ricardo H
JD,
Thank you for this prayer. I need to live by this. My wife and I are separated and I miss her dearly. I've been distant and not a husband for years and shes totally fed up. Please pray that Lord will open her heart and take me back. I love her unconditionally and shes also my best friend. I'm lost without her and need a miracle because the world has her now. Pray the Lord will lead her back to him. Frown