Jan 05 2011

The pennies-74 cents taught me a lot more than I ever could have imagined

A couple weeks ago I came into work and I had 4 pennies sitting on my desk! So random-I was 4 pennies richer-but so confused about where they came from. The next day I came in and there were 12 pennies--the next, 22! What started as 4 dirty pennies placed on my desk out of nowhere over the course of a couple of weeks turned into 74 pennies!! I was holding out for a dollar! Once I had a dollar I was going to....well....I don't know what I was going to do with a dollar but it seemed like a good amount! I still had NO IDEA where the pennies were coming from or how they were multiplying but it was an exciting part of the day each time I'd walk in and see how many had been added. That was until tonight when I walked in and ALL my pennies were gone :( but I can't really call them my pennies anyways because they weren't mine to begin with.

Aside from feeling a tad bit like Nancy Drew and wanting to find out where the stash of pennies disappeared to,I was quickly humbled by the reminder to not hold on too tightly to things that aren't ours to begin with! This obviously gets a lot depper than pennies (though I am sure I could make a whole post just about honest Abe) but I'm talking about situations going on in your life too-breakups, past work situations that have ended poorly,past friendships-whatever it is- it wasn't ours to begin with. It's all been a gift from God. And it served a great purpose during that time in our lives! God doesn't 'accidentally' place anything or anyone in our path so there is freedom in knowing that when He has closed a door and opens new ones--we can be thankful for the memories,use the lessons learned,and stop clinging to something that wasn't ours to begin with...

Blessing and  may it be a 'letting go of pennies' type of day :)

~Lauren

The world is mine, and all that is in it (Psalm 50:12)

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (26) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

1/6/2011 3:48:36 PM
Tony United States
Tony
I listen to you every night until 3am california time(well you always run out 5 to ten minutes before  SMILE).You have a very nice voice and tody I ask for a prayer for my son and decided to finally see what you look like.Well beleive this or not you look just like you talk and that's a good thing because your personality and voice are beatiful too.Oh I am not flirting because I am old enough(not by much mind you)to be your father and some.Lauren Lee you have yourself a wonderful day and I can tell god has bless you with much.And keep up the the good work we need it.Tony
1/6/2011 7:40:18 PM
Jeannie United States
Jeannie
Hey Lauren! Had it on my heart for awhile to write you a little note to let you know how appreciated you are! I stay up much later than I should, but I am blessed every night by your sweet voice, great sense of humor and kind words. Like you said, nothing is accidental with our awesome God and I know He has you in this particular time slot for a reason. You are touching the hearts of certain people that need it at a certain time! Thank you for all you do! In Christ's love, Jeannie Smile
1/6/2011 11:44:48 PM
Matthew United States
Matthew
Lauren, I listen to you every night you are on and I would like to tell you how much you are appreciated for what you bring to the table at KLOVE. With your spunky personality, your sweet voice, and contagious laughter; you are one of the reasons why I had such a dramatic turnaround in my life.  While listening to you overnights for the past 3 months, GOD has used you to change my pessimistic heart to one of optimism and gratefulness.  Listening to your voice has had a calming effect on me through which God speaks to me.  Thanks for being there for me. You are truly a GOD-send for us all! Yours in Christ-Matthew
1/7/2011 12:25:04 AM
Mari Seymour United States
Mari Seymour
Isn't that a great song from Mercy Me. I've been blessed just listening to that song many times for different reasons. I struggle with issues in my life like everyone else, but I want to encourage you that everyone is beautiful in their own way. I think that is why the lord and my Savior Jesus has called me to speak out more, but in a controlled way. God Saved a wretch like me. That is a great song since it just came on. Anyway, have a blessed day and may God come close to you today through whatever means possible only known to HIM. Gotta go back to sleep. Grace like rain, you bet.
I really need to practice what I want to say to people before I actuallu say it. 4 word revolution - I trust you Lord. Thanks for the reminder. Have a great night. Sincerely, Mari
1/7/2011 12:37:33 AM
Mari Seymour United States
Mari Seymour
Be blessed now and have a great night. I'm just now learning the D. J's
I still believe in all you have for me now and in the future. You can use any or all or none - (God's will) of anything you want to share from me! I really must be careful as some 0f my testamony you want. with discretion of course.
Must go back to bed now. Have a blessed morning and I think you are doing a great job. Hope that blesses your socks off so to speak.
1/7/2011 12:38:01 AM
Mari Seymour
Mari Seymour
Be blessed now and have a great night. I'm just now learning the D. J's
1/7/2011 12:41:44 AM
Mari Seymour
Mari Seymour
Be blessed now and have a great night. I'm just now learning the D. J's
1/7/2011 12:43:41 AM
Mari Seymour
Mari Seymour
Be blessed now and have a great night. I'm just now learning the D. J's
God is in control of Haiti and all countries!!!! Just trying to uplift the Lord first you, etc.
1/7/2011 1:43:18 AM
Mari Seymour
Mari Seymour
Be blessed now and have a great night. I'm just now learning the D. J's
Now your playing popullation 2 - I pray for all the missionarys I know and don't know. That can be a rough time. I pray that the underground churches will be able to live in a place where they have freedom of religion and basic rights at least.  My heart is for those who cannot worship Chrisr without hiding and being persecuted. That song that you just played a few minutes ago.
I will follow you, but my missionary field is right here at home and in El Paso, surrounding area. I go to the Vineyard El Paso church and we support as many missionaries as money allows us to. Well, I gotta go to bed now. A sister in Christ.  Mari
1/8/2011 12:38:49 AM
Ed Manzanares United States
Ed Manzanares
Thanks for a good night of music while I've been cleaning my office (just bought a shredder and nearly had it smokin'). Decided to "stream" KLOVE and I really enjoyed the last 4 hours. Family's asleep but I feel fantastic. A somewhat clean office, been singing to my favorite station: Praise Our God! Cool how He inspires and strenghtens us through praise He purposed to glorify Himself! He's amazing! The Manzanares Family Loves Him and our KLOVE Family. GO RAMS...let Ft. Fun in '91. Denver, CO.
1/12/2011 9:25:20 AM
Cathy Helton United States
Cathy Helton
Lauren-
I'm not good at expressing myself, but I feel compelled to email you ... you are an AWESOME DJ.  Your personality is contagious and your ability to minister to others are beyond words.  I love the pennies story ... you have a gift and thank you for sharing it with others.
Cathy
1/16/2011 9:08:19 AM
Sheila United States
Sheila
I have an early commute to work, and get to spend it with you and KLOVE. Thank you for sharing the "pennies story", I needed the reminder to love the gift while I have it but not to mourn when it is gone, it was never "mine".  Your story of buying the pumkin was just the thing I need to hear that morning as well.  My  husband of 21yrs left me 6 mos ago, it has been God and KLOVE getting me through this; he has used this station as a vessel to speak to me daily.I pray that you truly have a blessed time while working, for you have been a blessing to many.
2/8/2011 12:26:07 PM
sheila moore United States
sheila moore
I so miss hearing your voice but at the same time can hear you talking all about the pennies!!!  What an awesome message and how we should really not take things for granted and know that they are only gifts for awhile and God gave them to us to brighten days and look for hope!!  Catch ya later BFF!!!!
2/8/2011 9:19:38 PM
Danica United States
Danica
Thank you so much for this! It's truely amazing and has changed how I look at my current situation.
2/11/2011 4:51:37 AM
Tom United States
Tom
Thank you. That is a great reminder. We often get caught up with things of this world. All things of this world will past away. Thanks again . I hope that you have a great day. God bless you. Keep up the good work for the Glory of God.
2/17/2011 8:15:03 AM
Carmen Figueroa United States
Carmen Figueroa
Lauren Lee thank you .You made my day once more .Last Monday 2/8 you played a song by Biulding 429 A space in between us. Like I told you of all the song I have listen on K-love ,some have made me,laught ,cry & think about how long I have come since I have been save.But this song hit home.
This moringing when hear my perecorded  voice on the radio I started cry & prised the Lord cuase YOU showed you me you Care.Than you played the sing how AWESOME .Love being woken up by you at 4am .Thank You May God Bleess You Always.
2/21/2011 12:33:26 AM
Kyla United States
Kyla
Thank you, Laureen for this post, this really spoke to me, on a friendship that was a long one and was closed. You are right on how it wasn't our's to begin with and how we can be thankful for the memories,use the lessons learned and stop clinging to them- Thank you for sharing this story
God Bless~~
3/1/2011 1:30:42 AM
Renee United States
Renee
Thank you with the pennies story I learned let go of a friendship I thoght was real. But I found out like the pennies the freindship was there one day and gone the next.
3/8/2011 12:06:55 AM
Susanne Germany
Susanne
It is amazing how easily God can show his power. Only last night I was very sad about a lost friendship and was fretting about the way it affected me - and this morning I find your pennies story and am so much comforted. I feel I got the proportions right. Thank you and God bless from Germany. You are doing a wonderful job!
3/11/2011 11:41:38 PM
Michael Rocha United States
Michael Rocha
Hey! Lauren on 03/11/11 at about 11:00 pm u were on. The air and u shared something on the air that made a lot of Sence to me and I would like to know if u can e-mail that to me. It was on seek Him, first and everything in life will fall in place according to his will, u said that if we put anything before him it would become an idol. Something like that I tried to call in to speak to u but I could not get through. By the way ur penny storie just Awesome! Thank-you, a KLOVE listener and supporter, Michael Rocha.
3/13/2011 4:07:48 PM
Lauren Jade United States
Lauren Jade
I needed to read those words today. Over the past year I've had a very close friendship seemingly fall apart in front of my eyes. It's one of the most painful things I've ever gone through. Recently, God put it on my heart that I needed to simply apologize for my part in it and then let it go and give it to Him. I trust that He is going to take care of the rest, whether that means the friendship is restored or not. God knows what He is doing and He will work His good out of this. Thank you for reminding me that even though it might be incredibly painful to let go of something or someone in your life, God can always work good out of it by teaching you something or growing you in some way that brings you closer to Him and shapes you more into the image of His son. And thank you for reminding me that she is not mine to hold on to. She is God's and I need to let Him have her, even if that means I can't have her in my life anymore.
3/13/2011 5:55:01 PM
John Stone United States
John Stone
HI Lauren Lee  The new papermen in wv pray for me and my son Thank
3/17/2011 10:38:44 PM
Samantha United States
Samantha
Hi Lauren, I really enjoyed the pennie story. Thank you.
3/18/2011 11:12:29 AM
Jeanette Bertram United States
Jeanette Bertram
Hi Lauren,
I just read your "Pennie" story. How awesome is God's perfect timing? This was God's message to me telling me it was now time to let go of something in my life that I have been trying very hard to hold onto. To everything a season.  Thanks for sharing.
3/28/2011 7:08:34 AM
Curtis McLeod United States
Curtis McLeod
Thank you so MUCH for the pennies story. I have been a listener now for about 10 years and this story is the one that has touched me the most. I have had a rough 4 years. During this time my wife, of now 30 years decided that she would be more satisfied in another relationship. By GOD's grace she had a change of heart and we are still together, 31 years in June. It has been a tough time though. Because of this I lost all hope and trust in everyone. To include people at work. The administration in my job were becoming as bad as the people I was dealing with so I quit my dream job. You see I had my dream job, I was a Police Officer. But not just A POLICE OFFICER I was a DARE OFFICER and worked in the high school as well. During my time in this position I was awarded many high level awards one coming from the DEA for my work in DARE.
Because of this position I know how little things can change a person's life. For instance when I was the DARE Officer I had the blessing to work with a foster girl from El Paso, TX. Now mind you I am in Iowa. On the last day of school I called her into the office. When she came in she had this worried look on her face. I told her that she was not in trouble but that I had something for her. I took out one of my ties that she always liked, it had Snoopy on it, and gave it to her. I had a pull to this kids because when I was in the Army I was stationed in El Paso, so I knew what kind of life she had there. When I gave her this tie she started to cry and said that no ever showed that much about her in her life.
Another incident that I would like to share is this one. While the DARE Officer I received a call form a mother who was at her wits in with her daughter. She told me that her daughter was starting to hang with the wrong crowd and do drugs and drink alcohol. I spoke with her daughter for over an hour. At the end of this conversation I felt that I had wasted my time by the body language of this young lady.
Roll forward 5 years now, I am no longer a Police Officer. I called a local bank to set up an appointment to speak to someone about a business loan. When I asked for the person I wanted to speak with I was told they were busy. So I was placed in contact with another person. After I hung up from making my appointment I realized that this lady was the mother of the girl I had spoken with while I was a DARE Officer. When I arrived for my appointment the bank lady came out to get me. When she seen me she had this puzzled look on her face. She then asked me where she knew me from. I told her the police department and her daughter. She took my hand and started to shake it telling me thank you for turning my daughter around she grad. high school with honors and is in college in pre-med.
As you might imgaine it was very difficult for me to leave my DREAM JOB. But after reading the pennies story I now realize that I was only suppose to be there for the short time that I was and that it is now time to more forward to the bigger plans that GOD has for me. I don't know for sure what they will be. But I do know that HE will tell me what they are and only when HE is ready.
Have a Blessed day and nerve stop inspiring people with the grace of GOD.
3/30/2011 9:51:28 AM
Slaten@yahoo.com United States
Slaten@yahoo.com
My partner and I actually loved reading this weblog publish, I used to be just itching to know do you commerce featured posts? I am all the time looking for someone to make trades with and merely thought I'd ask.