Jun 23 2009

Car Seat Safety

Lisa spent her Monday night cleaning car seats after her youngest son got "sick" while in the car.  She discovered that cleaning car seats is not easy.  Lisa also revealed that 68% of car seats are installed incorrectly.  That's right 82% of car seats are not installed correctly, according to Lisa.  So if you are one of the 75% of parents (another Lisa stat) that doesn't have their car seat installed the right way, you can check with your local police or fire departments for instruction and guidance.

Our policeman friend Paul in Chicago gave us a great site to check out - www.NHTSA.gov

6/23/2009 7:54:12 AM
April United States
April
Well I went to the website & now know that I would have to go 104 miles to the nearest "inspection station."  Not cool.  Good thing my hubby is going to be a police officer in just two short weeks! Smile
6/23/2009 10:19:25 AM
Barbara Nash United States
Barbara Nash
I know it is a pain to get the seat cover off the seat itself and to get it back on  takes forever and can't even figure it out lol  wish they would make things a little less difficult!
6/23/2009 2:11:10 PM
Stephen J. Padilla United States
Stephen J. Padilla
I went to a car seat installation class before our baby was born.  I am very glad I did!
6/24/2009 9:09:45 AM
Becca Falvey United States
Becca Falvey
Awesome! I'm not a mommy yet, but this is good to know for when I am!!  Smile
6/24/2009 9:55:45 AM
Rebecca Creech United States
Rebecca Creech
I was listening yesterday when Lisa was throwing out her stats on car seats.  I am a Certified Child Passenger Safety Tech.  I have to tell you that not all Police Officers are certified to inspect car seats - they know the laws for their stated governing child seats. NHTSA website is a good site another site to check out is www.usa.safekids.org.  You can learn the true stats on improperly installed seats.  There is also a link to CPS Certification page where you are able to actually look for a certified tech close to you based on your postal zip code, if there isn't one in your town you can look for one based on the towns near your home town by zip codes also.  Not every area has seat check stations.  In my home town I am the only certified tech and I work at our health department.
A comment to the father that was suprised that the hospital staff would take time out to inspect seats.  All techs want to see children properly restrained so that they have minimal injuries in a crash situation.
So when looking for a tech you may find them working at the police station, fire station, hospital, health department or maybe even just a parent who decided to get trained.  Training is open to anyone who wants to take the time and pay the cost of the training (which you can learn about on the Safe Kids Website).
1/19/2011 4:44:39 AM
Faalangst Behandeling Netherlands
Faalangst Behandeling
I am so  thrilled that I did did find your very helpful post. Much appreciated. I hope you do not mind me write on my astonishing Faalangst Overwinnen blog. I will also leave a linkback. Kind Regards