Oct 01 2009

Read through Proverbs with us each day in October

Thirty-one days in October, thirty-one Proverbs!  Join us in reading a proverb a day, starting today with Proverbs 1:

1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

2 for attaining wisdom and discipline;
       for understanding words of insight;

3 for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,
       doing what is right and just and fair;

4 for giving prudence to the simple,
       knowledge and discretion to the young-

5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
       and let the discerning get guidance-

6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
       the sayings and riddles of the wise.

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
       but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

8 Listen, my son, to your father's instruction
       and do not forsake your mother's teaching.

9 They will be a garland to grace your head
       and a chain to adorn your neck.

10 My son, if sinners entice you,
       do not give in to them.

11 If they say, "Come along with us;
       let's lie in wait for someone's blood,
       let's waylay some harmless soul;

12 let's swallow them alive, like the grave,
       and whole, like those who go down to the pit;

13 we will get all sorts of valuable things
       and fill our houses with plunder;

14 throw in your lot with us,
       and we will share a common purse"-

15 my son, do not go along with them,
       do not set foot on their paths;

16 for their feet rush into sin,
       they are swift to shed blood.

17 How useless to spread a net
       in full view of all the birds!

18 These men lie in wait for their own blood;
       they waylay only themselves!

19 Such is the end of all who go after ill-gotten gain;
       it takes away the lives of those who get it.

20 Wisdom calls aloud in the street,
       she raises her voice in the public squares;

21 at the head of the noisy streets she cries out,
       in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

22 "How long will you simple ones love your simple ways?
       How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge?

23 If you had responded to my rebuke,
       I would have poured out my heart to you
       and made my thoughts known to you.

24 But since you rejected me when I called
       and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand,

25 since you ignored all my advice
       and would not accept my rebuke,

26 I in turn will laugh at your disaster;
       I will mock when calamity overtakes you-

27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
       when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
       when distress and trouble overwhelm you.

28 "Then they will call to me but I will not answer;
       they will look for me but will not find me.

29 Since they hated knowledge
       and did not choose to fear the LORD,

30 since they would not accept my advice
       and spurned my rebuke,

31 they will eat the fruit of their ways
       and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.

32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,
       and the complacency of fools will destroy them;

33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
       and be at ease, without fear of harm."

New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by Biblica

10/1/2009 4:45:35 AM
Lisa Elliott United States
Lisa Elliott
Wow i got up early to read (Proverbs chapter 1) what a great way to start off just waking up reading that and its Oct 1st Happy Oct 1st K-Love,Hope your day today is filled with many Blessings,This is a very good thing you stared by waking up and reading (Proverbs)what a great book to read thank you Lisa for that this mad my day be happy today.God Bless K-Love
10/1/2009 5:36:15 AM
Laura jne Woods United States
Laura jne Woods
I am listening to Mathew West's "The Motions", and thanking my Heavenly Father for His provisions for myself and my two little boys.  October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and my dear true friend Toni Russ is 5 years clean and clear of Breast Cancer...she is a true survivor, and God has fought and conquered all her battles, and God put us together for a reason, nonthing is accidental.  I love reading Proverbs, I love my morning devotions and I love my Lord and my God.  This radio station is my true inspiration daily, you have so helped me cope with my divorce and just hlped me live, love and laugh again....Praise God...Thank you Jesus.
10/1/2009 6:07:23 AM
Karen United States
Karen
A preacher once said that he started each day reading the Proverb chapter for that day and then read it again at night.  He kept the Bible he used on his pillow in the day, so that he would remember to read it at night.  When he was done, he put the Bible on the floor so his feet hit it first thing in the morning, reminding him to read it first.  He did this every month in addition to other studies.
10/1/2009 6:20:49 AM
Janine Petty United States
Janine Petty
WOW! I like food for my body, but I thrive for food for my soul.  What good word!  As always God is Good Every Day!  Have A Blessed and Wonderful Walk with the Lord today!  For his mercies are new every day!  Thank you K-Love!!
10/1/2009 6:31:53 AM
Michelle United States
Michelle
Thank you Lisa for your wonderful suggestion. What a great idea. I've committed myself to see it through to the end of the month. God bless!
10/1/2009 6:52:36 AM
Theresa Lewingdon United States
Theresa Lewingdon
Wow is God speaking through you.  I have a schedule for everything from learning to run to studying for work related stuff but really I don't have for the bible.  I have never really gotten into studying the bible directly - I have used the passage a day books but not gone further.  The day before you mentioned this I was wondering how I could better use my 1/2 hour slow time in the morning - I have to start my day slow because of some health issues and always have that 1/2 hour, why didn't I think about bible study for that time I don't know.  God reminds me that it takes 30 days to make / break a habit.  Then you come out with this study the Proverbs for 31 days.  I didn't know there were 31 Proverbs.  I always didn't know how doable it is.  The chapters are so short that not only can I read through them and pray about them, I can write about them too.  Thank you Lisa and I will be there with you.
10/1/2009 7:00:30 AM
Martha Crocker United States
Martha Crocker
Thanks! I needed this. I'll join ya'll. I find that when I pray in the mornings, my day goes better. I've been wanting to read in the mornings, but haven't made myself do it. This will motivate me.
10/1/2009 7:06:25 AM
diane freund United States
diane freund
Just wanted to say thank you. This was something I needed in my life. I will be on every day to read it with you. My life has been NUTS sence March 14 this year. I'm no a singe mommy of a 3 year old boy and it's a great trip. Love you guys and your on my car and computer all the time. God bless you all
10/1/2009 8:02:30 AM
Holly United States
Holly
Thank you God for blessing me with KLOVE! Every morning this week I have been listening to KLOVE. I ask God what it is, that He wants to show me today and i pray for the strength to listen with an open heart. Yesterday I heard you mention the Book of Proverbs and going through this month one day at a time. I have been praying for God to give me strength because my relationship with him has been put on the back burner for a while now. The only God i have had in my life is those morning drives to work while listening to KLOVE. I used to have a solid relationship with the Lord until I was hit with many heartbreaking life situations including that of my Church Family pretty much pushing me out of the door over a divorce that i went through back in 2005. I felt that God pushed me away as well. I knew deep down inside that God would never do such a thing, but  i felt like I did not deserve God's love because I did not count on him to heal my marriage, so I allowed my relationship with God to fade.

After, going over the first few scriptures of Proverbs, i realized that Wisdom and discipline are BIG things! To be wise is having knowledge and understanding of people and of what is true and right in life and conduct. "GOD IS TRUE AND RIGHT!" Because I had the knowledge that God would never abandon me and because I know from previous experiencs How He has touched my life I have WISDOM. As far as the discpline, I need to discipline myself to remind myself of the wisdom that God has blessed me with in knowing that HE WiLL NEVER LEAVE MY SIDE! He has been there for me the whole time, loving me and holding me through my pains, heartaches and valleys.

Thank you KLOVE for everything you do, and for helping me to start a new and fulfilling relationship with my dear true GOD!
10/1/2009 8:25:31 AM
Mendi United States
Mendi
I have you on in the car and at home, you keep me lifted up in Christ!  I love the idea to read proverbs this month.  I too have been strugling to get into the word on a reagular basis with 3 girls 5 and under!  I KNOW I need the spiritual food to keep me going.  I'll be reading with you daily!  Thanks for all you do.
Blessings,
Mendi
10/1/2009 8:31:17 AM
Ed Strenkowski United States
Ed Strenkowski
  I've been reading:

1 Chapter from the Old Testament
5 from Psalms
1 from Proverbs
1 from the Gospels (Matthew - Acts)
1 from the Epistles

for many years which has been a Blessing.  I'm amazed at how they all tie in together and fit events going on in my life.

HINT:  If you read the first two chapters of Proverbs when you start the first five chapters of Psalms the two books finish at the same time.
10/1/2009 9:40:31 AM
Lesley United States
Lesley
Dear Lisa,
On our way to taking our eldest son to the dr.(he's 8) we herd you say how you were going to read through the Proverbs. He quickly responded," Hey I'm going to do that too!, That's a great idea!"  And this morning before we left for school he told me that he did do it.  Thank you for planting positive seeds where ever your voice carries.  Meay the LORD bless you as you have bless others.
10/1/2009 9:45:40 AM
DeShay Wootton United States
DeShay Wootton
I have always wanted to make reading the bible a daily basis so thanks to your suggestion with starting with Proverbs that will be a wonderful way to begin with what I have put off from doing for along time and that really needs to change specially with the times we are living in and are going to face. God Bless you for being a voice for getting everyone to start reading God's word because its the one thing that will help get us all through life.
10/1/2009 10:05:22 AM
Cathryn United States
Cathryn
I was on my way to work this morning when I heard y'all talking about the 31 Proverbs for the month of Oct. It totally Hit Home when Lisa said she needed to get back to her spirtual base, but has been feeling so stressed/distracted in life. This is something that is so simple that everyone can do! One of those "why didnt' I think of that?!" moments SmileCan't wait to get to #31!! It's my Fave!(Every girl/woman should strive to be that)

I discovered your station about 2weeks ago,I'm from Rockford IL, and God has totally started a new transfirmation in my heart and mind. This is just the thing that was needed for my "dry spell" Thanks for all your doing!!!
10/1/2009 10:52:15 AM
Tes Ochoa United States
Tes Ochoa
Thank you for this challenge... Klove staff you guyz are such an encoaragement!! I need a breakthrough and being disciplined through His Word especially with the book of Proverbs will certainly get me in gear... My life has seen many trials in the past few weeks with the enemy trying to kill, steal, and destory leads me to believe that there is something BIG about to happen !! Thank You Lord for your promises !! U can Count Me in ....
10/1/2009 12:00:30 PM
Laura Kottke United States
Laura Kottke
ok...thank you for the challenge...I am going to join you and I challenged by bible study group and a church group of friends...I am also going to read it to my almost 8 year old daughter too....plus i posted it on facebook...thanks for inspiring all of us!! love your station and love for christ!
10/1/2009 12:11:53 PM
Sue Blevins United States
Sue Blevins
Proverbs are the wisdom we should be passing down to our children.  To keep them from the snares of the wicked.  It would be neat to have a show (TV?) called Proverbs that portrayed a story from each chapter of Proverbs in today's language and scenes to make it relevant to our children.  Thank-you for displaying this on your website and thank-you for bringing it to my attention on the radio which I listen to while I drive to work.
10/1/2009 12:54:39 PM
Sonja Scott United States
Sonja Scott
Hey!  I just wanted to say that I TOTALLY L-O-V-E that you are reading Proverbs a chapter a day through October.  I recommend that you not stop at the end of the month however, but start over again at the beginning of each month.  It is an amazing way to start the day.

A couple of years ago I was stretched so thin with all of the obligations that I had on my life as I juggled four kids, a husband, a household, and a job; not to mention all of the extracurriculars that my children were involved in.  Anyway, the busier things became, the harder it was for me to make time to get some kind of devotion in with my kids.  Well one day as my heart was burdened with this fact, God pointed out to me that there are as many chapters in the book of Proverbs as there are days in the standard month....Ah-ha!!

I started the next morning using that as part of my personal time with God, and on the first day of the following month I started using it as a way to start the day for my kids before sending them off to school.  Sometimes we'll read the whole chapter and sometimes we'll just pick out verses that speak to us and discuss what it is saying to us. It has been a great way to instill God's wisdom into my childrens' (and my own) hearts that doesn't take a lot of time.  It is a great way to invite God to be a part of your day.
10/1/2009 12:56:19 PM
tj hartley United States
tj hartley
I am so glad you are encouraging people to read the proverbs.  I can't remember the last time I went all the way through.  By listening to K-Love I have really changed in the way i live my life and treat my family and wife.  Thanks for all the encouragement.
10/1/2009 7:14:52 PM
Andrea United States
Andrea
I just wanted that thank you for starting the Proverbs reading through October. I have been getting out of the habit of my morning devotional time and I heard you talking about this on the radio this morning. I knew in my heart that God was showing me how to get back in the Word. Thank you!
-Andrea