Jan 05 2010

Nineteen things to say to your children...

Nineteen things to say to your children...

1. I love you! There is nothing that will make me stop loving you. Nothing you could do or say or think will ever change that.
  2. You are amazing! I look at you with wonder! Not just at what you can do, but who you are. There is no one like you. No one!
  3. It's all right to cry. People cry for all kinds of reasons: when they are hurt, sad, glad, or worried; when they are angry, afraid, or lonely. Big people cry too. I do.
  4. You've made a mistake. That was wrong. People make mistakes. I do. Is it something we can fix? What can we do? It's all over. You can start fresh. I know you are sorry. I forgive you.
  5. You did the right thing. That was scary or hard. Even though it wasn't easy, you did it. I am proud of you; you should be too.
  6. I'm sorry. Forgive me. I made a mistake.
  7. You can change your mind. It's good to decide, but it is also fine to change.
  8. What a great idea! You were really thinking! How did you come up with that? Tell me more. Your mind is clever!
  9. That was kind. You did something helpful and thoughtful for that person. That must make you feel good inside. Thank you!
  10. I have a surprise for you. It's not your birthday. It's for no reason at all. Just a surprise, a little one, but a surprise.
  11. I can wait. We have time. You don't have to hurry this time.
  12. What would you like to do? It's your turn to pick. You have great ideas. It's important to follow your special interests.
  13. Tell me about it. I'd like to hear more. And then what happened? I'll listen.
  14. I'm right here. I won't leave without saying good-bye. I am watching you. I am listening to you.
  15. Please and Thank You. These are important words. If I forget to use them, will you remind me?
  16. I missed you. I think about you when we are not together!
  17. Just try. A little bit. One taste, one step. You might like it. Let's see. I'll help you if you need it. I think you can do it.
  18. I'll help you. I heard you call me, here I am. How can I help you? If we both work together, we can get this done. I know you can do it by yourself, but I'm glad to help since you asked.
  19. What do you wish for? Even if it's not yet time for birthday candles and we don't have a wishbone, it's still fun to hear about what you wish for, hope for, and dream about.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (21) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

1/5/2010 6:13:28 AM
Rachelle United States
Rachelle
Love your 19 things to say to your children.  As you said this morning on radio, I am always looking for positive things to say to my children.  Thanks.  Your Sister In Christ, Rachelle
1/5/2010 6:18:08 AM
Marcy United States
Marcy
I always loved telling my son that I really loved being his mom!!!
1/5/2010 6:19:38 AM
Cristie United States
Cristie
Something that I have said to my children since they were very young is "You are my favoritest (name)in the whole wide world". There names are Chad Jr and Chance Vaughn, so when I say this now, with them being 14 and 11 respectively, they say, "Mom we are your only...", I say in response- "I know, but you are my very favorite"
God Bless-
Cristie, Ok
1/5/2010 6:25:46 AM
Ginger Holland United States
Ginger Holland
Hi Lisa and Eric,

I wanted to share a story about what happened between me & my daughter when she was little. She was really mad at me because she didn't get to do what she wanted and as children sometimes do, in a loud voice she said "I hate you Mommy" we stared at each other for a moment & then I loving looked at her and said You know no matter what you are feeling I will always Love you.  She promptly started crying & said Mommy I'm sorry.  I then used that moment & we talked about what a strong word Hate can be & how we really need to stop & think about what we say before we say it & how it will affect others & to always remember God is listening.  She didn't say it again.  It really did turn into a beautiful moment.
1/5/2010 7:14:24 AM
Cindy United States
Cindy
My daughter is 19, but most of what is on there we have always said to her and still do. She is a gift from God and I never forget that.
1/5/2010 7:33:35 AM
CHRISTINE United States
CHRISTINE
I am so glad I heard about 19 things to say to your children.  I have always put my son first and tried to say great things to him and about him for as long as I can remember - he is now 16.  It's good to focus on this and these things to say will help me.  Thank you and God Bless.
1/5/2010 7:36:43 AM
Amy United States
Amy
I've been thinking about what you said yesterday about not wanting to leave anyone out from participating in "The Love Dare" challenge. I think there are lots of ways to modify this to other situations.  If you're single, you could walk through the book and pray each day for your future spouse to have those traits; to know and use kind words, to be free of addictions, etc.  If you're a single parent, you could pray those things for your children's future spouses or for your children themselves.  If nothing else, you could always choose a friend or person who doesn't know Jesus and pray that they would come to know Him as you pray these traits for him/her.

Just a thought.

PS - I'm glad that you're doing this.  I've been wanting to since the movie came out and have put it off.  I'll be 'daring' along with you!
1/5/2010 7:42:48 AM
Teresa Sanders United States
Teresa Sanders
things to say to your children:
The Diaper Generation
What IF:  every time you changed a diaper, you spoke a Blessing over that child?  What kind of generation would we raise?  What if all the day care people did this?  Think of the kind of generation we would be building, for the Kingdom of God.

Think about the person doing the diaper change.  What if they were angry or in a bad mood, went to change a diaper and started speaking the blessing over the child, their own anger and sour mood would be dissolved by the love of Christ.

Let us spread the word on this idea.  All for the Glory and Honor and advancement of the Kingdom of God.  Love and Blessings  Teresa Marie
1/5/2010 7:56:26 AM
Kristin United States
Kristin
I always tell my 13-year-old how proud of her I am.
1/5/2010 8:00:02 AM
Mom in Georgia United States
Mom in Georgia
Thank you for these wonderful things to tell my three beautiful girls! I try to say positive things and sometimes I get stumped with something creative...I will definitely put these to good use!
1/5/2010 8:18:30 AM
Chasity United States
Chasity
This is great. Parenting seems to be going by the way side. It is busy times and kids are left to raise themselves. This is the story I still tell my nine year old. I told him Jesus picked him especially for me because Jesus knew how special he was and that I was the luckiest mommy in the world to have him. We start and end each day with hugs and kisses, and of course our prayers at night, which we have begun to incorporate in the mornings to start our day.
1/5/2010 8:37:41 AM
Kim United States
Kim
Thank you for some suggestion on new things to uplift my son.  I also tell my son "I am glad God picked me to be his mother" and "If God gave me a choice in all the world for a child, I would of picked You every time".
1/5/2010 8:38:36 AM
Laura United States
Laura
Every so often I will say to each of my 3 children "I'm so glad that you are my son (or daughter)"...I will switch up which word I put the emphasis on and I will also make sure I have eye contact with them when I say it.  They are 17, 15, and 13 now and they still melt and smile when I say this to them....sweet moments!
1/5/2010 8:59:00 AM
Brooke United States
Brooke
I love these comments.  I always tell my children that I love them and tell them that they are special.  However, I am more concerned with the things I DON'T SAY ENOUGH!  I think "PLEASE" and "THANK YOU" are VERY IMPOTANT.  I often find myself making sure they tell me and strangers "please" and "thank you" and I am sure I don't do it enough when speaking to them.  Everyone wants that respect, no matter what age you are.  I am going to make sure I do that!!! Thank you for posting these 19 comments, it helped.
1/5/2010 9:23:27 AM
Mary Ann United States
Mary Ann
I used to say to my children 2 things when they were young & now I say them to my grand daughter.  When I was busy doing something I would say "my hands are busy right now & as soon as they can they will...".  I didn't want my children to think I was ever too busy for giving them attention.  The other thing, just like Cristie said this morning, "you are my favorite young lady in the whole wide world" to my daughter & "you are my favorite young man in the whole wide world" to my son.  Now that they are adults, they tell me that was their favorite thing I used to say to them when they were children.
1/5/2010 9:44:37 AM
Diana United States
Diana
These are great and I can even use them on my adult children.  Thank you.

In Him
Diana
<><
1/6/2010 12:17:49 PM
Lost in AZ United States
Lost in AZ
Wow! I have never been on the KLOVE site. I have to tell you, there is some pretty powerful stuff here! It pulls and tugs your heart!
1/6/2010 5:40:57 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
I love this list and have posted it for my facebook friends.  I have in the last year made an extra effort to tell my boys sorry when I have made a mistake so they can begin to understand forgiveness and also to remember mommy isn't perfect!  Sometimes I think it is hard for adults to say sorry to their children thinking they will relinquish some authority.  I don't think this is the case at all if you have already established a strong foundation with giving discipline when it is needed and showing love to your kids.  Thanks so much for sharing this Lisa & Eric!
1/7/2010 8:23:17 AM
Joyce Hutchinson United States
Joyce Hutchinson
I am a Nana helping my daugther with her very bright ADHD/ODD son.  These are great tips.  Blessing and Happy New Year
1/7/2010 8:31:50 AM
Lori United States
Lori
I love this.  I would like to use to make a scrapbook for my kids.  Do I need the author's permission for that?
1/11/2010 5:09:56 PM