Feb 10 2010

Love Dare - Day 36

Love is God’s Word

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.  – Psalm 119:105

For some people, the Bible seems just too big to understand.  It’s like an impossible challenge.  They don’t know where or how to begin.  But as a Christian, you’re not left alone to try grasping the major themes and deep meanings of the Bible.  The Holy Spirit, who now lives in your heart by the way of salvation, is an illuminator of truth.  “For the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God” (1 Corinthians 2:10).  And because of His internal lamp, the Scriptures are now yours to read, absorb, comprehend, and live by.

But first, you’ve got to commit to do it.

Be in it.  If this is not already a habit of yours, now is the time to begin reading a portion of the Bible every day.  Ideally, read it together as husband and wife – in the morning, perhaps, or before bed.  Be like the writer of Psalm 119, who could say, “With all my heart I have sought You … Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You” (Psalm 119:10-11).

Those who practice a consistent pattern of reading the Bible soon discover it to be “more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb” (Psalm 19:10).

Stay under it.  You’re right; the Bible can be deep and challenging.  That’s why it’s so important to be part of a church where the Word is faithfully taught and preached.  By hearing it explained in sermons and Bible study classes, you’ll get a broader, more balanced view of what God is saying through His Word.  You’ll also get to join with others who are on the same journey you are, wanting to be fed by the truths of Scripture. “Continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them” (2 Timothy 3:14).

Live it.  Unlike most other books, which are only designed to be read and digested, the Bible is a living book.  It lives because the Holy Spirit still resonates within its words.  It lives because, unlike the ancient writings of other religions, its Author is still alive.  And it lives because it becomes a part of who you are, how you think, and what you do.  “Prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers” (James 1:22).

Jesus talked about people who build their lives on sand – their own logic, their best guesses, the latest reasoning.  When the storms of life begin to blow (which they always will), foundations of sand will only result in total disaster.  Their houses may light up and look nice for a while, but they are tragedies waiting to happen.  Ultimately they collapse.

But Jesus said, “Everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them may be compared to a wise man who builds on the rock.  The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock” (Matthew 7:24-25).  When your home is founded on the rock of God’s unchanging Word, it is insured against destruction.

That’s because God has the right plan for everything, and He’s revealed these plans in His Word.  They’re right there for anyone who will read it and apply it.

God has a plan for the way you handle your money.  A plan for the way you raise your children.  A plan for the way you treat your body.  A plan for the way you spend your time.  A plan for the way you handle conflict.  Isn’t it just like your Maker to know exactly what you need?

If being a regular Bible reader is new for you, you’ll be surprised how quickly you’ll begin thinking differently and more eternally.  And if you are serious about establishing strategies for life based on God’s way of doing things, He will guide you to make connections between what you’re reading and how it applies.  It’s an enlightening journey with discoveries to be made all the time.

Every aspect of your life that you submit to, God’s principles will grow stronger and more long-lasting over time.  But any part you withhold from Him, choosing instead to try your own hand at it, will weaken and eventually fail when the storms of life hit you.  It may, in fact, be the one area that hastens the downfall of your home and marriage.

Wise couples build their houses on the rock of God’s Word.  They’ve seen what sand can do.  They know how it feels when their footing gets soft and the foundation gives way.  That’s why must determine to build your life and marriage on the solid rock of the Bible, and then you can plan on a stronger future – no matter how bad the storms get.

Today’s Dare

Commit to reading the Bible every day.  Find a devotional book or other resource that will give you some guidance.  If your spouse is open to it, see if they will commit to daily Bible reading with you.  Begin submitting each area of your life to its guidance and start building on the rock.

Whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction. (Romans 15:4)

Click here to buy a copy of The Love Dare book.

Click here for a free online journal for the full 40 day challenge.

Material taken from The Love Dare by Stephen and Alex Kendrick, copyright © 2009 by B&H Publishing Group. Used by permission.  Unauthorized reproduction in any format is strictly prohibited by law.

2/10/2010 4:37:12 AM
Nanners United States
Nanners
Can we just be on a perpetual love dare? Can you keep it on your website so we can go it everyday if we choose? It is filled with God's word and His principals. It has become my new devotional. No new info, just keeps me on track and reminds me what is important. It is has become a good discipline. I think the "body of Christ", doing it together has helped me feel an accountability and encouraged as well. I look forward to reading it each day and it has refreshed me and my marriage. Thank you and God Bless you for all you do!!!!
2/10/2010 5:21:26 AM
booklady
booklady
The Love Dare for couples is sort of a perpetual dare.  Don't forget the journals.
2/10/2010 6:58:20 AM
free United States
free
in the other dare i wrote how my hubby and i read the bible together and discuss together-that's great-but the church we go to not so great-THANK GOD for my bible-but i am interested in other books too that have life lessons and have scpriture to back it-does anyone have any good suggestions?
2/10/2010 8:11:33 AM
Aubrie United States
Aubrie
Nanners -

If you go to the top of the page, you can click on the "Archive" link and see all of the past posts listed with their titles and the date they were posted. I assume their copyright agreement allows them to keep them there indefinitely.
2/10/2010 8:16:53 AM
Onward and Upward United States
Onward and Upward
Kelly, after hearing of spouse's infidelity, I went to counselor "for me" and it was great.  However counselor challenged that if I don't work on issues with spouse, it will still be a onesided relationship. So spouse went for an individual session and now we are going together.  Do what you need to to get your issues taken care of but don't leave spouse out of the picture.  Keep praying for spouse.

I am so thankful for this exercise.  I know that I began it not knowing how much of a lifeline it would become.

Last night my spouse said that an email had come from the other person.  I asked to be cc'd on the reply and I was.  It felt so good to be able to trust my spouse.

I also replied to the other person to let them know that I was working on forgiving them too.  God is so powerful.  I can say that fully because there is no  way on earth I could do this alone.

So, take this as a statement from personal experience.  God can do it all to all of our marriages.  DO NOT GIVE UP!!
2/10/2010 8:26:07 AM
Onward and Upward United States
Onward and Upward
Klove just played Kutlass, What Faith Can do

Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think it’s more than you can take
But you are stronger, stronger than you know
Don’t you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

I’ve seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn’t ever end
Even when the sky is falling
And I’ve seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That’s what faith can do
2/10/2010 9:09:14 AM
Shel United States
Shel
This is what I am wanting to do. K-Love, I hope you will post some ideas on books and/or journals that can help us continue this path of healing ourselves and our marriages.  Some of us out here are so lost and don't have support to turn to to get the guidance we need.  I don't have a job so I can't go to counseling or spend a lot of money on "self-help" books and I get "lost" sometimes reading the bible without guidance.  Thanks, K-Love! May God Bless us all!
2/10/2010 9:54:20 AM
Isabel United States
Isabel
I agree on a "perpetual love dare" devotional within your site.  It helps and we would not get dissapointed once the day # 40 is done.
Thank you for your work.
2/10/2010 11:23:50 AM
Laura United States
Laura
My husband is not a believer, but I still stand on God's word and His promises!
2/10/2010 3:12:11 PM
Keri United States
Keri
I also agree that the love dare should be a perpetual dare. I use it as a devotional and look forward to reading it everyday. It has really opened my eyes and I think it would benefit others who haven't read it yet.

Thanks KLOVE for all you do!!
2/10/2010 3:58:24 PM
No Name United States
No Name
As my new year resollution was to read my bible every morning and spend time with God so this dare was fairly easy as i have been doing it already. Yesterday abuot the counseling i didnt do it, i feel im not putting 100% into this dare but as we finish im buying the 365 devotional for couples to do the rest of the year. I'm praying for you all.
2/17/2010 7:14:52 AM
affordable web hosting United States
affordable web hosting
Whatsoever i earn from online,,, i will contribute them to our uncle's foundation.
2/17/2010 10:09:33 PM
Sadie Soppeland United States
Sadie Soppeland
This particular been quite a while since im in search of quite a few method to answer my personal qestion to create income on the web. Right now i came across it it the post. My partner and i add this to my favorites.
2/18/2010 5:25:09 AM
free ps3 United Kingdom
free ps3
Nice blog. I got a lot of good information. I've been following this technology for awhile. It's intriguing how it keeps varying, yet some of the core components remain the same. Have you seen much change since Google made their most recent acquisition in the area?
2/18/2010 4:01:04 PM
stock market United States
stock market
Please let me know if you are looking for a writer for your blog. You have some good content and I think I would be a good asset.
2/19/2010 6:33:10 AM
Nila Strohmeyer United States
Nila Strohmeyer
The truth is that, I've not been on this website in a long time... but it surely was a further enjoyment to discover Its such an essential subject and unnoticed by many, also pro's. We thank you to assist getting individuals more aware of feasible problems.Wonderful information as usual...
3/29/2011 6:44:20 AM
Phil Germany
Phil
I asked my wife to read the bible with me.
She said she's done with me.
I'll still read it. I hope His plan is to keep us together.
3/29/2011 8:03:32 PM
Advertising Copywriter United States
Advertising Copywriter
I love that you add a dare for the day. Keeps me out of my comfort zone.
4/5/2011 10:42:38 AM
Marketing Copywriter United States
Marketing Copywriter
This blog is inspirational and challenging ... Keep up the great work.
4/7/2011 1:45:05 PM
Marketing Copywriter United States
Marketing Copywriter
Wonderful site ... so inspiring!
4/7/2011 1:45:40 PM
Freelance Copywriter United States
Freelance Copywriter
Wonderful site ... so inspiring!