Feb 12 2010

"Hold You Up" K-LOVE's Next Great Love Song and story behind it!

"Hold You Up" is K-LOVE's Next Great Love Song, written and performed by Matthew West

CLICK HERE to buy it.

Congratulations to Ann Mathews from Pennsylvania - her love story was the winning entry in K-LOVE's Next Great Love Song contest!  Matthew West wrote K-LOVE's Next Great Love Song for Ann and her husband, Jim, and sang it this Friday on K-LOVE.  In case you missed it, check out the link below to hear Matthew sharing the winning story.

Matthew West reads the winning story

Or read the story for yourself ...

I met Jim when I was fourteen. I was working at a Dairy Mart and he stepped out of his car looking very handsome, dressed in full Fire Police uniform (he has been a volunteer firefighter for 37 years). I took one look and said, "I'm going to marry that man someday".

Four years of chocolate milkshakes later he asked me out and we were married 3 1/2 years later. That was 25 years ago and he still makes my heart go crazy when he walks into a room! The true love test came when at 27 I was diagnosed with very aggressive breast cancer and given two months to live. I watched Jim suffer more than I could've imagined...he felt so helpless. I kept telling him, God is way bigger than this and I was right!

But Jim's true love poured out to me during that time. He was the one who spent months holding my bald head and butchered body over a bucket when I was so sick I couldn't hold it up myself, all the while stroking my cheek and telling me how beautiful I was. Thirty-three surgeries and almost twenty years later he is still holding me up!

Jim stood by my side as I honored God's miracle by dedicating my life to helping children, having 2 biological, 23 foster and 4 adoptions. He is an amazing father and husband, and Christ's love shines through him every day!

2/8/2010 9:36:39 AM
Dana United States
Dana
Thank you soooo Much for sharing this I am Ann's sister and that she was able to relay into words what we all watched is an incredible testament to her love of Christ and of Jim...Her and Jim are truly everything it says here. There are no others like the two of them and I am honored and proud to be her Sister..I love you Ann and Jim...Congrats to you Both...
2/8/2010 9:51:33 AM
Donna United States
Donna
What a beautiful story. Thank you for being a testimony to how God works in the lives of his children.
2/8/2010 10:59:39 AM
Melanie United States
Melanie
Ann is my soon to be mother-in-law in two months. Aside from my own mother, Ann is one of the greatest women I've ever known. She is a true testament to the power and love of Christ and the Lord. I watch Ann and Jim's love for one another and pray to God that I will have a marriage as strong as theirs. I believe I will because their son, my fiance, has probably two of the greatest role models around. So thank you for sharing their true love story. I love you both Ann and Jim.
2/8/2010 11:14:16 AM
Ann Mathews United States
Ann Mathews
I am so excited to have a love song God, Jim and I can truly call our own. I hope many lives are touched by our story and song and know that because Jesus lives there is hope!
2/8/2010 11:14:57 AM
Nikki Mathews United States
Nikki Mathews
Hi, i am one of Ann's daughters. i wanted to thank you for pickin her. she has blessed me more than anyone ever has in my whole life. i am one of the adopted children, and she has saved me spiritually and physically. her and my dad show me and my sisblings what its like to married and and being in a deep true love with someone really exists. anyway congrats mom and dad. love yen
2/8/2010 11:38:09 AM
Lisa Enlow United States
Lisa Enlow
Gods blessings to Ann.She is so blessed. She is a joy to be around.
2/8/2010 12:17:40 PM
Faith Sisters in Christ United States
Faith Sisters in Christ
GOD IS BIGGER THEN evil and satan the devil who is pure evilness! ASK JESUS INTO YOUR HEART GOD JESUS AND THE HOLY SPIRIT LOVE US ALL FOREVER AND FOREVER! GOD JESUS AND THE HOLY SPIRIT LOVE US ALL GOD JESUS HOLY SPIRIT LOVE US ALL A,LWAYS AND FOREVER1
2/8/2010 4:24:43 PM
Touched United States
Touched
God Bless you Ann,Jim,& Family ~ May the Spirit of the Lord be on Matthew as he orchestrates this beautiful song of love... Congradulations!
2/9/2010 8:25:38 AM
God's greatest gift to man is love. United States
God's greatest gift to man is love.
Love is truly God's greatest gift to man!! How wonderful it is to hear  stories like  Anne and Jim's.
It's like a little "heaven on earth"!!
2/9/2010 3:51:46 PM
Jasmine United States
Jasmine
Wow...I'm speechless. It is so amazing how God works.
2/9/2010 6:57:24 PM
zaudia lozano United States
zaudia lozano
that is an amazing story and im proud to hear that you belived in god the hole way through seeing that im only 13 i find that inspirational to both me and my best friend nicole thank you o much for that story hoping you get beter
2/9/2010 6:57:31 PM
free United States
free
to ann,jim, and family-God bless all of you and may the holy spirit keep on guiding you in your lives-what a beautiful testment ;o)
2/10/2010 6:31:53 PM
Becky United States
Becky
What a beautiful Love story, and it is a continuing one so inspiring and so true of How God's love is so perfect and the beautiful marriage of Ann and Jim helping eachother and touching many loves of there faith, hope and of course LOVE of God and Eachother.. Thank You... I can't wait to hear the song Matthew West makes..I know he has alot of inspiration already and this love story to add to the beauty of it all...AWESOME!!! God Bless you ALL!! Smile
2/12/2010 6:57:38 AM
javier diaz United States
javier diaz
ann u have a wonderfull story, i lost my wife 2 years ago to a violent crime, and i have not been able to love again.ur story gives me hope and faith in my god ur story will change my life forever. god bless you your brother in christ javier diaz.
2/12/2010 6:58:01 AM
Jessica Simmons United States
Jessica Simmons
It's not nice to make someone cry all the way to work! But It's ok because they were happy tears! Such an amazing story that shows just how strong God is and such an amazing song! I've already downloaded it and new the second I heard it that that will be my wedding song!
2/12/2010 7:03:04 AM
Rosanne James United States
Rosanne James
What a BEAUTIFUL song, from Matthew West-"Hold You Up"  I want to know if it will be on a CD anytime soon? I want this song played at my wedding, it is the ultimate love song! How marvelous because it speaks of our ultimate love-the ONE who shows us WHAT LOVE IS! What a beautiful testimony Ann and Jim are! Thank you so very much for sharing and thank you K-Love and Matthew! May God bless you all!
2/12/2010 7:07:03 AM
Mary Britton United States
Mary Britton
What a touching story Ann shared an how her Husband Jim and God held her up through all of that! Matthew did such an amazing job on creating that Love song for that wonderful couple.I feel blessed just to hear him sing it live on the radio like that.I know it touched their hearts and ours.Thanks K-Love!Sincerely, Mary Britton
2/12/2010 7:17:32 AM
Markeeda Scott United States
Markeeda Scott
Being a young african american woman and having always listened to black gospel music I can honestly say... that I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit in your radio station! I have been listening to the progression of this Love Song event, and I heard it this morning!  My husband has a lot of health problems, we have young children, I work full time, etc. Recently I have been feeling crazy!! This song is definately a part of God's inspiration for my life!  I cannot wait to download it!! Thank You K-Love and Thank You Matthew West!  Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!  Sincerely Submitted!
2/12/2010 7:18:13 AM
Su United States
Su
Wow!  Ann & Jim's story and Matthew's newest song for them "Hold You Up"... made it VERY hard to finish getting ready for work, what with tears streaming down!!
  If I hadn't have done it last year, I WOULD have this year with this song!  But Matthew's "When I say I do" from last year inspired me to surprise my hubby with a vow renewal on our 22nd anniv!  But "Hold You Up"- Ann & Jim's story this year put to song -- would have been a WONDERFUL one too -- yes, Jessica Simmons, a WONDERFUL wedding song too!
Thank you Ann, for sharing and we praise God for your life and love!  Blessings!
2/12/2010 7:34:38 AM
Marla Stafford United States
Marla Stafford
I am listening the 2nd time to this song and it brought tears to my eyes. Amazing song and I think it does belong to a lot of people who have kept their wedding vows and really know what true love is and how without God's perfect love we would all fall short. My husband has suffered with RA for 2o+ years with chronic pain and I have been by him through many rough times but I can say that Christ has been there with us and has never failed us. So thank you for that song and I am going to download it for my husband of 25 yrs of marriage for Valentines Day!  Thank you Matthew West and KLOVE.
2/12/2010 7:36:07 AM
Laura from Cinci United States
Laura from Cinci
Such a wonderful testimony to the relationship that can exist when God resides in the midst.  If God blesses me with another chance at love, this would be my inspiration.  Matthew has done an awesome job at capturing what sounds like a truly blessed union.  And your children are rising up to call you blessed, Ann and Jim!  How much better does it get than that!  God's richest blessing to you and to Matthew and his wife as well!
2/12/2010 7:43:02 AM
Tracy United States
Tracy
Thank you Ann and Jim, K-love and Matthew W for starting my morning off right!  I thank God for the blessing of all of you and the gifts Matthew has to put these emotions into words.  I was on my way home from taking my sons to school and sat in the driveway listening to the song.  It is one of those songs that, even though it is the first time I've heard it, I FEEL it inside and it doesn't feel like a new song at all.  It feels like a song my heart has been singing for the 14yrs my husband and I have been together!  Blessings!
2/12/2010 7:46:34 AM
Annette United States
Annette
What a WONDERFUL song! Not only is Jim and Ann's story an inspiration to all married couples, but the song has a great message that love will win out and HE (your husband and God) will always be there for you!

I would like to have the lyrics so I can print them out and include them in a message I am creating for my husband for Valentine's Day! Can you please post them on the website today?

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories of never failing, always enduring LOVE!!
2/12/2010 7:58:50 AM
Christy United States
Christy
WOW....I was driving to work with tears running down my face. This song was something I needed to hear this morning. Thank you Ann and Jim for your story and thank you Matthew for your amazing God given talent. Thank you!
2/12/2010 8:12:11 AM
Terri United States
Terri
Ann and Jim, you have a beautiful story.  May God continue to bless you and yours.

Matthew West--Thank you for this song.  I heard it on my way to work and it touched me deeply.  I have been strugging with relationship issues (non-family) and your song reminded me that God will ALWAYS hold me up!
2/12/2010 8:16:40 AM
Jodi United States
Jodi
I just purchased this on ITunes - love it!  Is there any way to get the lyrics to this song?
2/12/2010 8:21:07 AM
Connie Juengel United States
Connie Juengel
What an awesome love story and testimony that Ann and Jim have.  I watched my mom go through an agressive breast cancer it was one of the hardest things I have ever done.  I heard the song written by Matthew West this morning on my way to work.  My husband and I usually car pool but today had to drive different cars he was behind me and I kept looking at him the in mirror and just cried.  We are having our commitment renewed next month and I had been looking for that one song and this morning I found it.  When we got married years ago our song was Love of my life but now it is Hold you up.  Thank you for sharing your story may God continue to bless you and your family.
2/12/2010 8:31:12 AM
Rachel United States
Rachel
Truly a love story written with God's own hand...I was driving home when I heard the song playing on KLOVE. I am blessed to know your story and the song by Matthew West was amazing. Very inspirational couple....may God continue to bless your lives together. Thank you K-Love for the difference that you are making in people's lives and thank you to Matthew West for listening to God's voice!!!
2/12/2010 8:46:55 AM
Connie United States
Connie
I am one of those who believe that this song was written for me too. It encouraged me so much as I listened to it. My husband Mike and I have been married for 33 years, the last 4 of which have been truly a war.  Our oldest wonderful son, Jeremy was a medic in Iraq, but he did not come home to us. Instead on Memorial Day of 2006, he went home to be with the Lord. Since then, Mike has been overwhelmed by severe depression and a lot of the health, emotional and mental problems that go with it. We are struggling terrilby right now, but are still commmited to make it through. I have been ignoring God for awhile, but am again turning to Him and praying that Mike will also. I know He is holding us up.  Thank you Matthew for reminding me in such a beautiful way.
2/12/2010 9:00:49 AM
Diane United States
Diane
One word.....WOW! That story and song brought me to tears just now when i heard it. Matthew West is amazing to put this into a song for all to hear. But Ann and Jim....truly an amazing couple who have shown what the committment to LOVE and the committment to OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST is all about. I cannot find any other words to express how that song touches a heart, so THANK YOU for sharing it. May GOD Bless and Keep you happy, healthy and your love continue for eternity!
2/12/2010 10:16:32 AM
Jessica United States
Jessica
Congratulations on overcoming the battle!  The battle belongs to the Lord.  My family experienced that when I was 4 1/2 years old.  I was diagnosed with Leukemia in 1991.  My doctors said I would not make it through and even if I did I would not be able to birth my own children. In 1996 I was cured.  I am now almost 23 years old. I am married to a wonderful man of God who understands my medical history and wanted me anyway.  I also have a 3 1/2 month old my daughter who I carried and birthed.  God is a miracle working God, but I don't have to tell you that!
2/12/2010 10:47:18 AM
Sheri United States
Sheri
This is such a beautiful sory and...sgain, I've goota hand it to Matthew West...that is the ultimate love song!!  That is what life is truly about!  Thanks for spreading His love and may God Bless Ann, Jim, Matthew and KLOVE!!
2/12/2010 12:04:46 PM
Karla United States
Karla
Wow that story was amazing and very touching.  Our Father is so wonderful and is way bigger then we imagine.  Thanks for sharing this love story on your web site.
2/12/2010 12:11:17 PM
Trish United States
Trish
This is the most beautiful song I have ever heard! I was in my car when they played it on K-love and I had to pull over, I was crying so hard.
It reminds me of how God has been holding me up. My husband and I are having so many relationship difficulties. I love the part where you said " worth fighting for". My husband has not spoke to me in days and my heart is broken but in your song it encouraged and lifted up my love for him. He is worth fighting for! With God, we will have restoration in our relationship! thank you Matthew for sharing the heart of what you do.
2/12/2010 12:41:15 PM
Miranda United States
Miranda
Beautiful story and wonderful, heart touching song by Matthew West. I just cannot stop listening to it. It creates a surge in my heart each time I listen, that makes me want to press on and love my husband, daughter, family, and God with all the power and strength I have within me. God Bless!
2/12/2010 1:03:23 PM
alice ware United States
alice ware
I WAS MOVED TO TEARS HEARING THE LOVE STORY
AND WHAT GOD HAD DONE.  MATTHEW WEST HAS A
WINNER WITH THIS SONG.  I PRAY THAT GOD WILL
CONTINUE TO HOLD ANN AND JIM UP FOR THE REST OF
THEIR LIVES.
2/12/2010 1:03:28 PM
Yannette Mexico
Yannette
Que cancion tan bonita,(what a beautiful song) Matthew's lyrics are so inspiring and they are so anointed. God bless everyone involved in this special project, it will no doubt touch the lives of many during this season.
2/12/2010 2:11:34 PM
ruben United States
ruben
wow this is an amazing love story i hope that one day god blesses me with this same kind of love
2/12/2010 5:16:19 PM
natolie United States
natolie
This song just completely slayed my heart this morning! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story resulting in such a beautiful song!  Matthew, you are an amazing song writer and artist, and I thank God for the amazing talent he has given you to share with us!  God Bless!
2/12/2010 5:36:42 PM
natolie United States
natolie
To Trish:
I pray that you and your husband are able to make amends and repair the damage that has caused your broken heart.  I am in the same place with my husband that you are with yours.  Although we pretend nothing is wrong; the truth is nothing is right.  I don't know when or how things got here and I don't know what to do to make it better, but this song touched me in a place that has not been touched in so long. It has made me feel again.  It has made me want to make it work. It has given me hope... something I let go of long ago.  So as I pray for God to lay his healing hand on my marriage, I pray the same for yours!

In Christian Love...
2/12/2010 5:36:58 PM
Sharon United States
Sharon
Cheers to the most optimistic and hopeful woman I know...Ann.  Love you.  Sharon
2/12/2010 6:01:57 PM
Dave Butler United States
Dave Butler
WOW!!  I heard the story on the way to work earlier this week when Matthew was on the show to announce the winner, but I did not hear the song until this afternoon on the way home.  What a powerful story that's perfectly captured in this song!  I want to get the accompaniment track as soon as there is one to sing at my church.  WOW!  What love that God has to hold us up the way He does!
2/12/2010 7:02:27 PM
Touched United States
Touched
That is such a sweet story.  I hope I can find love like that someday.
2/12/2010 7:25:39 PM
Karen United States
Karen
Amazing Song!!!  Ann's story is amazing and this is a perfect touch to her and Jim's Valentine's Day!!!  May God continue to Bless them and keep them...throughout...Please continue to play this song --it's a great inspiration!!!
2/12/2010 8:27:05 PM
Amanda United States
Amanda
Wow! That's all I was able to say, or rather think, after I listened to this song. I was crying so much.Smile I know that God has a special someone set aside for everyone in the world that will hold us up in out time of need and fight for us because we're worth it. I can't wait to meet my future husband and see my love story unfold before me.
2/13/2010 2:07:47 PM
Claire United States
Claire
I was in the car when I heard this song for the first time and bawled all the way home.  I had to play it for my husband and post your link on my Facebook page for all my Facebook pals to see & hear.  Amazing story and an amazing song!  I love your radio station!  It is uplifting every day!
2/13/2010 5:01:49 PM
Renee United States
Renee
Thanks for writing this song.  As I heard it on the radio the first day it aired, it was as if the words were from God to me.  God holds us up.  I have not ever been married, so the whole human love story thing doesn't yet apply to me; but even so, this song did apply.  Matthew, thanks for sharing this song.
2/14/2010 8:48:40 PM
Caroline United States
Caroline
My Mom told me to read this story and listen to this song this amazing song that she even told me would bring me more then joy and even some tears. This is what I call a living blessful piece of art and if love everyday was comitted as such I promise this world would be an even better place. I know when I hear a good song and for only being fourteen this has to be a good song for love. Thank you for it, this story diserved winning!
2/19/2010 9:05:33 AM
Lisa K. (Somerset, PA) United States
Lisa K. (Somerset, PA)
Our family has had the pleasure to know Ann, Jim and their children.  Ann taught two of my children in preschool and also Kindergarten.  We love her.  She is the strongest, most giving and loving woman I know (in addition to my own mother).  I just cannot put into words how truly amazing and inspiring she is.  I am so happy that others can be blessed by hearing her story!  WE LOVE YOU ANN!!! - Lisa K.
2/24/2010 11:37:35 AM
skate 3 Erscheinungsdatum Germany
skate 3 Erscheinungsdatum
<A href="http://skate3.de/release/">Skate 3 Release</A>
2/25/2010 4:13:07 PM
news article Australia
news article
Good afternoon, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone actually wrote an article about your blogging. I really hope it gives you that little boost to become the internet's blogging Guru. Anyway good luck with the future, I am a big fan of yours and hope you do well.   Here is the URL of the article: http://www.article-pie.com/
2/26/2010 7:08:41 PM
Eilene Cayetano Australia
Eilene Cayetano
Hi, You write some very good blogs, I love nearly all of your articles. I always check back here often to see if you have updated. Keep on blogging!
2/28/2010 4:15:20 PM
breast cancer Australia
breast cancer
Hi, You write some very good blogs. I always check back here often to see if you have updated. I thought you might want to know, when I click your RSS feed it re-directs me to http://www.article-pie.com
3/12/2011 12:57:04 PM
tagging pdf books United States
tagging pdf books
Please, keep up the excellent work and continue to post topics like this. I am old fan of your site! %WEBSITE%