Feb 13 2010

Love Dare - Day 39

Love Endures

Love never fails. – 1 Corinthians 13:8

Of all the things love dares to do, this the ultimate.  Though threatened, it keeps pursuing.  Though challenged, it keeps moving forward.  Though mistreated and rejected, it refuses to give up.

Love never fails.

Many times when a marriage is in crisis, the spouse who is trying to make things work will go to the other, declaring in no uncertain terms that no matter what has happened in the past, he or she is committed to this marriage.  Their love can be counted on to last.  They promise.  But not wanting to hear this yet, the other spouse holds their position.  They still want out.  They don’t see this marriage lasting long-term.  Nor do they even want it to anymore.

The partner who has just laid his or her heart on the line, extending the olive branch, can’t handle the rejection.  So they withdraw their statement.  “Fine.  If that’s the way you want it, that’s the way it’ll be.”

But if love is really love, it doesn’t waffle when it’s not received the way you want it to be.  If love can be told to quit loving, then it’s not really love.  Love that is from God is unending, unstoppable.  If the object of its affection doesn’t choose to receive it, love keeps giving anyway.

Love never fails.

Never.

That’s what Jesus’ love is like.  His disciples were nothing if not unpredictable.  After their final Passover meal together, when Jesus told them they would all forsake Him before the night was over, Peter declared, “Even though all may fall away because of You, I will never fall away … Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You” (Matthew 26:33, 35).  All the other disciples echoed the very same promise.

But later that night, Jesus’ inner circle of followers – Peter, James, and John – would sleep through Christ’s agony in the garden.  On the way to Christ’s crucifixion, Peter would deny Him three times in the courtyard.  But at the precise moment, the Bible says Jesus “turned and looked” at him (Luke 22:61).  His men had failed Him – again – within hours of their sworn promises.  Yet He never stopped loving them, because He and His love are “the same yesterday and today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8).

When you have done everything within your power to obey God, your spouse may still forsake you and walk away – just as Jesus’ followers did to Him.  But if your marriage fails, if your spouse walks away, let it not be because you gave up or stopped loving them.

Love never fails.

Of the nine “fruits of the Spirit” listed in Galatians 5, the first of all is love.  And because the unchanging Holy Spirit is its source – the same Holy Spirit who dwells in the hearts of all believers – then the love He creates in you is unchanging as well.  It is based on the will of God, the calling of God, and the Word of God – all unchanging things. The Bible declares them “irrevocable” (Romans 11:29).  “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away” (Luke 21:33).

Only a few days ago you were Love Dared to build your marriage on the Word of God.  That’s because when all else fails, the truth of God will still be standing.  Along the way you have also been dared to be patient, to be unselfish, to sacrifice for your mate’s needs.

These are not just loving ideas, existing in isolation.  Each quality of love outlined in this book is based on the love of God, captured and expressed in the Word of God.  The unchanging Word of God.  No challenge or circumstance can occur that will ever put an expiration date on Him or His love.  Therefore, your love – made of the same substance – bears the same, unchanging characteristics.

Love never fails.

So today your dare is to put your unfailing love into the most powerful, personal words you can.  This is your chance to declare that no matter what imperfections exist – both in you and in your spouse – your love is greater still.  No matter what they’ve done or how often they’ve done it, you choose to love them anyway.  Though you’ve been far from steady in your treatment of them over the years, your days of being inconsistent in love are over.  You accept this one man or woman as God’s special gift to you, and you promise to love them until death.

You’re saying to your spouse, “Even if you don’t like what you’re reading – even if you don’t like me – I choose to love you anyway.  Forever.”

Because love never fails.

Today’s Dare

Spend time in personal prayer, then write a letter of commitment and resolve to your spouse.  Include why you are committing to this marriage until death, and that you have purposed to love them no matter what.  Leave it in a place that your mate will find it.

He delights in unchanging love.  (Micah 7:18)

Click here to buy a copy of The Love Dare book.

Click here for a free online journal for the full 40 day challenge.

Material taken from The Love Dare by Stephen and Alex Kendrick, copyright © 2009 by B&H Publishing Group. Used by permission.  Unauthorized reproduction in any format is strictly prohibited by law.

2/13/2010 6:59:22 AM
kay United States
kay
This is where I am.  God keeps me in a current of His love washing over me!  What can I do except give what I have been given.  God doesn't give to test what will come back,  He just keeps pouring it over me!!!  He heals the pain when the love is rejected.  Yes, because of Christ, He knows what I feel intimately!
God will help me do the dare today!
2/13/2010 8:39:44 AM
Janae Whitt United States
Janae Whitt
I ask for those that believe in Miracles to pray along with me today...
There is something amazing happening with this LOVE DARE! I NEVER expected to be where I am today, nor what I am about to do!
Over the last week, I have been writing my
ex-husband a LOVE letter. Every since he admitted he was guilty for domestic violence, I have had compassion and mercy in my heart for him.  This I didn't expect to have!
I had to take actions in my life to protect myself, to set healthy boundaries and to get out of his way of spiritual growth.  I have said countless prayers for him over this last year, yet more importantly to see the MIRACLE of TWO PEOPLE BEING MADE NEW IN HIS IMAGE.
Before reading today's Love Dare, I have been compiling the Love Letter to him thanking him where he made sacrifices and where I was abusive to him. I felt convicted of heart through this Love Dare Journey where I fell short in our marriage.
When I was contemplating in prayer about wanting to let my ex husband know my wrong doings, his anger management counselor contacted me out of the blue.  At first, I was angry that he did.  Then God continued to remind me that he was NOT the only offender in our marriage.  Once again, when I was contemplating writing this letter, the counselor contacted me again.  I explained that I felt a conviction of heart to let my ex know where I fell short and wanted to ask forgivness.
Today, my uncle and I are headed to another town in MT so that I can hand deliver this letter to his counselor.  His counselor agreed to read and discuss this letter in my ex's next session.
I didn't expect to read "love never fails" in today's Love Dare... It just so happens that one of my last sentences in my letters happens to be, "love never fails". I never expected to read the DARE to write the letter either... I think there is something extremely power behind this love dare!
Please pray that this letter is received, there is a conviction of heart in him, the counselor that is willing to help is blessed, a blessing for my uncle who has helped me/us over the past two years, that two people can be made NEW in HIS IMAGE, and that we can experience a marriage where Christ is at the Center.
I am putting my Faith, into the Hope that there is LOVE.
2/13/2010 3:47:14 PM
Becky United States
Becky
I am sad that tomorrow is the last day.  I have been married 27 1/2 years.  This past year has been the toughest of all.  I was ready to give up.  But God kept bringing me to the Love Dare.  I decided to give the Love Dare a chance with my marriage.  I have seen some positive changes, not as many as I had hoped for.  But I feel God is working on my heart.  I have chosen to love my husband and to work on me instead of trying to change him.  I will continue to trust in God. As I truly believe my husband is God's choice for me.  Thank you for starting this Love Dare.  I will forever be changed by it.  Thank you and God bless.
2/13/2010 4:05:22 PM
free United States
free
janae-wow what a testament of love for CHRIST-you had the HOLY SPIRIT guide you all the way-i will pray for you-MAY GOD KEEP BLESSING YOUR LIFE
2/13/2010 9:49:24 PM
Shel United States
Shel
This is amazing Janae. I am proud for you. As this Love Dare journey comes to an end, I am saddened by the fact I will be losing this community of peers. I know that I will have to start this journey over. I am going to watch the movie again tomorrow night and begin the dare over on Monday if it is still available online. I can't buy the journal, I have no job. I can't believe how far I have come in the past 39 days. This was one of the most amazing blessings I feel I have ever received! I hope that all of you will continue and be strong. I have had a couple of up days, but I still have a long fight ahead. God has shown me how much in love with my husband I am. I know that He will continue working for me. I am uber-excited about my restored relationship with God! He is my rock. I know now this fight is for my husband's salvation, first and my marriage second. I know that God is asking me to sacrifice for a while until He has won my husband. He needs to win him before I can win him back. I sure wish my husband knew how loved and adored he is!! Thank you K-Love for this! Even if my marriage never gets restored, you have helped me find myself, and renew my relationship with God. Now, let me announce to the world....I AM IN LOVE WITH MY HUSBAND AND IN LOVE WITH MY GOD!!!! God Bless and prayers abound, to all of us!
2/13/2010 10:01:56 PM
John United States
John
I want to thank K-Love for posting the Love Dare.  My wife and I started the love dare from day 1.  I wasn't sure what brought this into my life at this particular time.  I thought my wife and I were fine,I mean we have always had our problems,but we have been together 16 years, and have always been there for each other.  After the first two weeks of doing the love dare with my wife I finally figured it out.  God brought this wonderful gift of the love dare to us.  I have always gone to church,I actually started dating my wife in our church,but I've never been truely devoted until now.  After our first couple of years of marriage I was diagnosed with cancer,My wife stood by my side through a year of chemo, radiation,and some very,very trying times for a young couple.  She has been by my side through the recent loss of my job,and all the financial hardships that go along with that.  But through all of this,I never really realized how speacial she is to me.  She is a Very strong Christian,and has always made sure my 2 beautiful children went to church.  Every Sunday,and Wed. She was up and getting them ready.  I didn't always go,and to be honest very rarely did I even want to.  This love dare has changed all of that.  Through this the lord has touched my heart,and made me realize just how speacial she is to me.  I love the Lord and I thank him for my wonderful wife.  I also want to thank him for opening my eyes and showing my what is truely important.  Like I said earlier,I recently lost my job,and I'm not gonna be able to give her a whole lot of gifts this year for Valentines day,but I know my wife will think that the re-dedication of my life to God,and to her and our children through God will be better than any store bought candy and cards.   God is truely wonderful,he has never given up on me through all the times I've ignored his love.  Neither has my wife...  I LOVE YOU Jenny,and I Thank God you have never stoped loving me.  Thanks again K-Love,but most of all Thank You God...
2/14/2010 5:16:05 AM
booklady
booklady
Jane~praying for you.
2/16/2010 5:10:20 AM
booklady
booklady
Shel~you can find other places online that have the love dares (maybe not a live blog). Good luck.
2/18/2010 5:25:12 AM
How to Get Free Stuff United Kingdom
How to Get Free Stuff
Great site! I will most definitely recommend you to my mates. Please carry on with the excellent updates. Are ya on Facebook too??
2/18/2010 8:31:49 AM
Lynda M. Hickok United States
Lynda M. Hickok
Seems that i notice me reading through the website once again. I will not continually accept what you have to say, but you do make it useful. Sometimes we will just have to agree to disagree. Great job regarding yet another fine post.
2/19/2010 1:50:19 PM
Melba Dacosta United States
Melba Dacosta
This is a good page. Thanks for the awesome read. Take a look at <a href="http://www.wantamovie.com">http://www.wantamovie.com</a>; to see free movies!
2/26/2010 7:08:42 PM
Brady Nethercutt Australia
Brady Nethercutt
Hello, You write some very good blogs, I love nearly all of your articles. I always check back here often to see if you have updated. Keep on blogging!
2/26/2010 7:08:42 PM
Hyun Kujath Australia
Hyun Kujath
Hello All, I just wanted to start by saying that the contribution here is simply amazing. I think everyone does a fine job here and just wanted to make that known.
2/28/2010 4:09:57 PM
clear acne Australia
clear acne
Hi, I found this blog once, then lost it. Took me forever to come back and find it. I wanted to see what comments you got. Nice blog by the way.
3/3/2010 2:34:56 PM
johnny alternative Australia
johnny alternative
Hello, just needed you to know I have added your site to my Google bookmarks because of your extraordinary blog layout. But seriously, I think your site has one of the freshest theme I've came across. It really helps make reading your blog a lot easier. Have you ever thought about blogging for money? there is a website http://www.article-pie.com/alternative-energy/ that pays you to write articles, you would be good at it.
3/3/2010 7:12:59 PM
johnny renewable Australia
johnny renewable
Hi, just needed you to know I have added your site to my Google bookmarks because of your extraordinary blog layout. But seriously, I think your site has one of the freshest theme I've came across. It really helps make reading your blog a lot easier. Have you ever thought about blogging for money? there is a website http://www.article-pie.com/alternative-energy/ that pays you to write articles, you would be good at it.