Mar 04 2010

31 Days Until Easter

To prepare our hearts for Easter, we've asked you to share your thoughts on fasting something.  Here is the chapter of the Bible that has been sent to us over and over again...

Isaiah 58

True Fasting

1 "Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins.

2 For day after day they seek me out; they seem eager to know my ways, as if they were a nation that does what is right and has not forsaken the commands of its God. They ask me for just decisions and seem eager for God to come near them.

3 'Why have we fasted,' they say, 'and you have not seen it? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you have not noticed?' "Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please and exploit all your workers.

4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high.

5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for a man to humble himself? Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed and for lying on sackcloth and ashes? Is that what you call a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD ?

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness [a] will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. "If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk,

10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.

11 The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.

13 "If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the LORD's holy day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,

14 then you will find your joy in the LORD, and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob." The mouth of the LORD has spoken.

3/4/2010 7:36:14 AM
Kathy Peterson United States
Kathy Peterson
First- I'm listening at work and so appreciate that ability.  Secondly- my husband and I are INTENTIONALLY taking on devotions.  We've always struggled finding time.  Terrible excuse- we always WANTED to- we were just never intentional about it until NOW.  We pull up the laptop and do a devotional together - then pray.  And even with all the struggles we are currently going thru there is such a sense of renewed HOPE.  Blessings-
3/4/2010 7:43:15 AM
Cynthia Gerstner United States
Cynthia Gerstner
Hello Lisa and Eric!

I was saved 2 yrs ago, and I never thought about preparing my heart for Easter so when i heard you guys talking about it i was thinking about what i should do. The only thing that i can think of doing is working on my patience and trust in the Lord, because I have already quit smoking and i gave up coffee and i have been drinking tea instead, which is much tastier Smile I am praying everyday that the Lord will give me more patience and trust to get through the day, and to have patience for the things that i can not control, because God is in control!

Also, on a side note, i wanted to tell you guys how much i LOVE K-love, because without k-love i would not be able to listen to the radio. K-love is the only station i listen to every single day (on my way to work, at work, on my way home, EVERYWHERE)! Through k-love, i have been able to relate to other people who share the same beliefs as me, and praise the Lord through everything! Thanks again!

-Cynthia Gerstner (Rochester, NY)
3/4/2010 11:28:26 AM
Lisa Parker United States
Lisa Parker
I have been listening to K-Love talk about preparing your heart for Easter. Finally, yesterday-I was motivated to give up fast food. I work out 5 days a week and was a personal trainer for 6 years. Now I have a different job where I work late and am starving-and reach for fast food. Now - I thank God for the strength to just eat something simple and healthy. You guys motivated me! Thank you!
3/4/2010 12:37:59 PM
richard webster United States
richard webster
During this time of lent, we are supposed to sacrafice for Jesus, and in order to grow spiritually, but we are also supposed to prepare our hearts for easter. God will reveal what is in our hearts, so we can work on what we need to in order to be prepared for the celibration of easter. Its not wrong to do positive things, and its not wrong to give something up and pick up something positive, but we also need to be sure that we do our best to be as obedient to God as possible, and spiritual house cleaning is a very necessary part of growth. A good book is A Heart Ablaze by John Bevere. Thanks for sharing what you're doing, it always help us to see what God's showing us through what you're doing. We will keep you in prayer. God bless, Rich and K
3/4/2010 1:20:37 PM
Debbie Steinmetz United States
Debbie Steinmetz
I just wanted to say I so enjoy listining to your radio station. I do nurse aide so I go from home to home and its a pleasure to be able to listine to a great station for christians. I just recently got out of a an abusive marriage and to be able to marry a guy who is the best gift God could give me. Together we cont. to search out God's will and draw closer to him. If it wasn't for him I would probadly be dead. When your down and out you can always look up and know he is there with his hand out stretch and he will walk with you thru it all. Again I just praise God for such a great radio station. Prays going up for you guys.
3/4/2010 2:51:43 PM
Sherry Ford United States
Sherry Ford
This past year has been extremely difficult for my family.  My husband has been suffering with depression and has been hospitalized 4 times for suicide attempts.  Though each week has brought us pain, we have seen the hand of God through everything.  When I got to a point that I just couldn't take any more, God provided peace.  I am a full time student and we have 6 children.  Because my husband has been on disability, we were not able to pay bills.  God kept sending money in the mail to cover everything. Amazing. We have decided to give up soda for the month as a family.  On a personal note, I have decided to give up my own feelings of low self worth and my anger towards my husband for "mentally" leaving me for the year.  Because of God, we have made it through this difficult time and it is only right to give up the things that hold us down so that we can focus on Him.

I listen to Klove all the time and there have been times where I just sit and cry because some song has just hit right where I am so Thank You for being there!
3/4/2010 3:49:40 PM
Sara United States
Sara
This morning, I was listening to Lisa and Eric on my way to work (as usual), and you both were talking about giving something up for Easter. Fasting was a specific example you gave. I was raised Lutheran in a single-parent household. Growing up, I always chose something difficult to give up, and more than once I caught myself cheating. As I've matured in my relationship with Christ, with much thanks to K-LOVE, this year I gave up something very unique- Facebook. In the past I've fasted, given up sweets, ceased to gossip, etc. But this year I chose Facebook because I wanted something that would remind me as often as possible of the sacrifice that was given for me. I know that my sacrifice can never compare to that of Jesus Christ's, BUT I cannot tell you enough how many times a day I reflect on the sacrifice and the blood that was shed for me. Everytime I want to check my Facebook or update a status, I remember Jesus' sacrifice for me. In giving up Facebook, I have also noticed that I have more time to spend with my fiance and focus on the more important things in my life. Lisa mentioned this morning that not watching Survivor and other shows, she realized it was a waste of time. It hit me- Facebook as much as I was using it, was a waste of my time.

Thank you KLOVE and Lisa and Eric. You've changed my life. You inspire me to be a better person, and encourage me every day to be the christian that I not only want to be, but need to be. I cannot thank you enough.
3/4/2010 6:44:40 PM
Karen United States
Karen
I'm one of your Catholic listeners, so when I heard you talking about preparing our hearts and souls for Easter, I instantly thought, "LENT"!  I look forward to these 40 days every year, as a way to reflect and to open myself to allow God to fix things that need fixing.

I try to pray better and to spend more time with the Lord.

I usually do give up some food things - chocolate, eating between meals, soda because it is a way to say "no" to my will.  If I get hungry (I was hungry a lot last year), I offer the hunger as a prayer.

Last year I gave up complaining about my husband.  It wasn't as hard as I thought, and it paid wonderful dividends, that I could not have foreseen in our relationship. It was as if I did my little bit, and God did a lot!

This year when I heard you talking about the Love Dare, and the fact that it was 40 days, I knew instantly that was what one of my Lenten "things" would be. It has been a journey thus far.  I have seen things within myself that I would rather not see, and I have taken those things to the Lord.  (As Catholics we have the often misunderstood "confession" for those kinds of things, so I took advantage of it last weekend.  I left forgiven, but also with advice and grace.  Awesome!)

I would post on your Facebook page, but I gave up Facebook for Lent, too, as a way of creating some time to spend networking with my family members and with the Father, Son, and Spirit!

Happy Lent?  Happy Easter Prep? <3
3/4/2010 8:22:00 PM
Dona Cribbs United States
Dona Cribbs
Hi Eric & Lisa, I just love you two in the morning. What a great way to start out the day. Your so fun to listen to and uplifting. I love it that you don't through 'put downs' at each other.
I prayed about my preparation for Easter through your challenge. I began thinking of Jesus on the cross saying "it is finished." That got me thinking of Jesus last day on earth as a man and what that last day means for us. If I knew it was my last day how would I spend it, I asked myself. I would share Jesus with everyone I see was my answer. Without fear or shame or worrying that I might saying the wrong thing. Just get the word out that Juses died for them and He loves them. So, that is what I am committed to this month. Sharing Jesus with everyone as God shows me. Introduce them to the one that made them. Thank you for all you do. God bless you. Dona
3/4/2010 9:13:37 PM
Caleb United States
Caleb
  Guys remember Eastern is not a holiday that honors Crist!!!!!     Look at how we sound!    I am giving thsi up because it is Eastern or getting ready  for lent!!!!!!  How religiosue can we be!!!!       So  is Crist talking about keeping one day holy and not the rest!!!!!   Comeon guys!    WE must be holy as he is holy!!!!     The Sabeth is every day!!!!  That is how we must live!!!!       Did not Crist live what he said every day?    What would Jesus want us to do?
3/5/2010 12:04:16 AM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
I am giving up soda. So far so good. I've been craving it SO bad though!
3/5/2010 4:45:05 AM
Monica United States
Monica
I LOVE this chapter! Verse 11 is my favorite, where it talks about being like a well-watered garden. What a beautiful picture! I am giving up sweet tea. The day that McDonalds came out with $1.oo large sweet tea was a very bad day for me! I have gained so much weight just from drinking their tea! I am trying to be healthier, and giving up the tea is a start. It is very hard, because I crave it all the time. I have only made it one day so far without it, but one day is better than zero days! Thank you so much for the encouragement!!
3/5/2010 7:28:18 AM
Frank United States
Frank
I think that as christians when we are born again we give our life to Jesus. He is our source for all we need. I think it is okay to give up something for health reasons,but I believe that we should give up anything that may keep us from seeking God more. My wife and I have decided to read His word more and more together and not just for lent but to make it our daily routine. God bless. I look forward to Ressurection day where we can celebrate Jesus dieing on the cross and defeating death. Remember though we should be doing this every day.. Prais God!!!!
3/6/2010 5:46:06 AM
budget wedding Slovenia
budget wedding
Couldn't be written any better. Reading this post reminds me of my old school mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!