Mar 16 2010

My One Word

Back in January we were introduced to the concept of My One Word.  Instead of making a new year resolution, narrow your focus on what you want to be this year into just "one word". Lisa chose the word "Dream", while I (Eric) chose "Present".  Today we caught up with the man who came up with the idea - Pastor Mike Ashcraft of Port City Community Church in Wilmington, NC - and he shared that it's never too late in the year to come up with your word.

If you haven't chosen your word, click here for some ideas.  If you already have your word for the year - what is it and has it helped you focus this year?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (30) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/16/2010 4:43:30 AM
Leslie Morgan United States
Leslie Morgan
Good Morning!  My word is REDEEMED.  I had gone through several years of darkness after walking with Jesus for many years.  Satan really worked hard to completely destroy me!  Years earlier a friend had told me how God had given her a new name.  This was very intriguing to me, so as I tried to reconnect with God, I asked Him what my name was.  He very clearly said "Redeemed."  I am walking Redeemed today!  Praise God!  Also, several weeks ago a statement was made on your station - I am not defined by my past, but by the redeeming blood of Jesus.  This was a changing moment for me - it was the beginning of a new attitude and a new day!  Thank you for what you do!
3/16/2010 4:58:06 AM
Penny United States
Penny
After you presented the one word idea, I gave it a lot of thought and finally zeroed in on 'fearless', because I realized that I was consumed with fear in so many areas of my life.  Thinking about how that shows a lack of trust in God, I determined to turn them all over to Him and free myself.  I have the scripture, Psalm 27:1, taped to my computer at work.

The interesting part of all this is that I started having really bad nightmares, which I haven't had in several years.  It took me about 3 weeks to connect the dots and recognize them as a satanic assault on my resolution to not fear!!  I confessed out loud to my Bible study group that I was not going to let satan have this victory and asked them to pray for me.  I've only had 2 bad nights since - what a victory!  My God is so good to me!!
3/16/2010 6:14:29 AM
Beth United States
Beth
My word is grow.  I want to grow with God and learn more about him and how big a part He plays in my life.  We have started going to church again and I LOVE it (growing up as a traditional Catholic, I never thought I'd say that)!  I am now part of the Team to assist with the 3 & 4 year olds in Sunday school, and we volunteer anywhere else that we are able to.  I truly believe that I am on the right path and am growing.  Thank you so very much for being there to help support me - I am blessed to have such great friends in my life!
3/16/2010 6:23:48 AM
Ken Chenault United States
Ken Chenault
I was listening on the way to work this morning, and I heard you discussing One Word. I remembered hearing about it at the beginning of the year. SO far God has been opening my eyes this year to a lot of new insights and while listening to the guy who started it tell of his first "one word" this morning, I came up with my own. He talked about finishing what he started and how he only pseudo-finished things. Like a flash of lightning it hit me then. My one word is DO. In order to finish something, you have to start it first, and that is something I am not very good at. So DO is my One Word for 2010. Be blessed.
3/16/2010 6:27:04 AM
Carey United States
Carey
My one word choice is "Attitude". Trying to stay
focused on the fact that attitude changes
things & can be the difference in your
impact for Christ. Faith & fear both ask you
to believe in something you can't see. I
choose faith daily by my attitude, by my
reactions. I'm determined to live a life
that shows others there's a difference & that
difference is Christ in me.
3/16/2010 7:28:42 AM
Delana Bradbury United States
Delana Bradbury
My word has been DREAM, for quite a few months.  Dreaming with God at all the possibilities He sees ahead of me.  Dreaming leads to hope and faith, which blow through fear and hesitancy.  It's been a year of moving forward, instead of standing still.
3/16/2010 7:29:53 AM
Robbie Lloyd United States
Robbie Lloyd
My word is Peace.  There has been a lot of turmoil in my families lives.  I am praying that the Peace of Christ enters everyone's hearts.  I guess this applies to our country too.  Imagine Democrats and Republicans in Congress loving each other and cooperating for the good of the country.  WOW
3/16/2010 8:01:24 AM
Jamie United States
Jamie
My word is:  PERSEVERANCE.  As Galatians 6:4 says, 'Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else.'
3/16/2010 8:24:02 AM
Shanette United States
Shanette
I remember listening at the beginning of the year when Eric had such a hard time finding his word.  You are not alone.  I too had the same problem, but the word that I found for me is discipline.  We are studying at my church how to become disciples of Christ, and part of being a disciple is being disciplined.  You have to have discipline to endure to the end.  That is what I am going to work on this year.
3/16/2010 8:26:48 AM
Caleb United States
Caleb
  My word is relationship.      If I do not keep a relationship with Jesus Crist then everything crumbles!!!   Without him and am nothing!!   I move and have my being in him!      This is why me and my family do not do Eastern and Cristmas because they are religiouse holidays!     WE honor his death by  caring our crosses and dying daily so that he might live through us!!!     We honor his birth by living a life of giving not taking!      Cristianaty is  a life style not a religouse day, month,or moment.    Crist showed us how we must live our lives!!    So let us be like Crist today and always!!   If I do not have a  relationship with him then I can not have a real relationship with you!
3/16/2010 9:05:52 AM
Mary United States
Mary
My one word for the past year has been SHINE.  It is a reminder to let my light always shine and it also is an acronym...Serve Him IN Everything.  Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
I have made a bracelet for myself and several others to use as a reminder and as a tool to share your testimony.  Many people have asked me what it means and that opens the door for me to share my testimony.
3/16/2010 9:26:20 AM
Sandy United States
Sandy
A lady at church her, her relative was giving a testamony.  He spoke about Daniel 3:17, God is ABLE.  His testamony and that verse has been in my heart every since.  I have recently lost my momma and a man that was a part of my life and my son'g life for ten years.  I was praying one day and God said remember I AM ABLE!!!  Now I am ABLE to say even though all this hurts I AM ABLE to do what I need to do in life, take care of me, my family, be happy again.  I love my church family and I am so thankful for them.  My Word is ABLE, Daniel 3:17 If ou God Whom serve is 'able' to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace.  He will deliver us out of your hand, O king...Ampliphied Bible
3/16/2010 10:31:12 AM
Elizabeth Thomas United States
Elizabeth Thomas
My word is CONFIDENT". This has been my word for a long time and it still applies. My worst problem is having confidence in myself and now it can be hard to have confidence in the Lord sometimes. I just need to be confident in everything!
3/16/2010 10:34:26 AM
Stella Lopez United States
Stella Lopez
I like this one word idea! Since the beginnig of 2010 I have declared the word "supernatural" for myself. My walk with Jesus has opened my eyes to his supernatural power. So I want to be more like him and be a supernatural woman of God. Spreading the gospel to others that are lost. I am a CCM teacher and I also lead a cell group in my home for women so what better word to declare for myself other than "SUPERNATURAL." Teaching others of his love is a privilege.
3/16/2010 6:34:21 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
It was so funny this came up on the morning show today.  My boyfriend just reminded me of my word for the year: Patience.  It actually started in December, but I've been sticking with it.  It's not the easiest challenge to overcome, but I'm learning to let things come in God's time and not mine.
3/16/2010 6:55:36 PM
Kristen United States
Kristen
This is to Eric - I heard a quote on your station the other day. It was not have been you, but I called and Scott said it was not him. The person who annonced it said that it would be posted in on your webiste. It ended with "Grace is God not giving us what we deserve." I really loved the quote, any idea what it is?
3/17/2010 12:46:06 PM
Susan Kaltz United States
Susan Kaltz
You read the scripture James 1:19 the other morning.  Then when I heard the interview with the pastor about the One Word I knew immediately that my One Word is SLOW, as in "slow to speak, slow to anger." I pray that I will slow down, daily and in all my circumstances, and not miss anything that God has for me. Thanks for your great shows!
3/18/2010 8:54:38 PM
Deana United States
Deana
What a great idea this one word was...  mine is SERVANT.  I want to be a better servant to God, to my husband, to my church family, to my friens and to my co-workers.  It has really made me stop and evaluate my actions, thanks for this focus for 2010!
3/26/2010 9:02:23 AM
Tracy United States
Tracy
My word is "STRONG."  I prayed for several days back in January before the Lord revealed this to me one morning.  He put in my mind Ephesians 6:10:  Be STRONG in the Lord and in the power of His might.  I have faced many challenges and uncertain situations already this year.  When a tough situation has come along, I am reminded that God knew beforehand that I would be facing this situation and prepared me for it by bestowing His special "word" for me and guiding me with His "Word."
1/3/2011 6:44:17 AM
haysha United States
haysha
My word is "PASSION". I am a mother of 5 wonderful kids going on 6. With all the busyness in my household I lost some of the passion that is in being a mother. I love my kids and I believe that they deserve all I have to offer. I know that God gave me this word because its something I've been desiring for so long. To feel the passion I feel when I draw, to have that type of passion for my kids again would be such a blessing because my kids are a blessing from God and thay deserve that.
1/20/2011 4:35:44 PM
Jay United States
Jay
After long thought and certain indecision I have decided my word is SALVATION. I have been far from god and his word for fifteen years. I recently started listening to KLove at the request of my wife and I have to say it has changed me in a big way. I am taking your 30 day challenge although I have been listening for a couple of months. I am going to seek my salvation this year and I owe it to Klove. We Have a new addition to the family coming in August 2011, and I want it to be raised in GODS love. Thank you KLove for all you have done in my life so far.
1/21/2011 7:34:58 AM
Carol United States
Carol
I heard the idea a week or so ago and after pondering many words that are fun to say and mean something in my life but this year I have chosen "Exemplify". Defined it means to show by example, serve as an example and most powerfully to EMBODY! This morning arriving at Fountain of Life Christian School for my office work the Principal informed me he was going to put "My One Word" in our weekly newsletter I can't wait to see what words encourage our school, teachers, students and parents! Thank you for all of your sharing.
1/21/2011 12:00:42 PM
Denise United States
Denise
SUBDUE = tame, domesticate, overcome
As is in Genesis: "fill the earth and SUBDUE it."
Well, I've managed to fill my earth with all sorts of things.  Now I have to take the next step and get it all under control.  That's what 2011 is all about for me.  Thank you!
1/27/2011 6:41:10 AM
jennifer United States
jennifer
I first heard Lisa and Eric talk about their word last Monday. And I prayed for a word...a couple popped in my head but they dont seem to click. Then today, listening on line, I heard the song "lead me" by sanctus real...and yes it just settled in my heart...LEAD...that's my word. And to hear Bethanny talk about her word "follow"..it just clicked. Lead me Lord...I will follow.. he has led me to serenity and a lot of peace in my life... Lead me Lord...Thank you...
1/27/2011 7:08:47 AM
Laura United States
Laura
Hi Lisa and Eric(feel better)! I love listening to KLove!! So so thankful for all of you and everyone supporting it!  My word for this year is Listen.  Listen to God and the Holy Spirit as well as family, friends and strangers.  It something I have already been working on and hope to improve on daily. I think that in all things in life that sometimes people just need to take a step back, breathe, think about, and LISTEN to everything in and around you.
   Thank you KLove and Thank You Lord for all you have done!!
1/27/2011 11:35:27 AM
Sherie United States
Sherie
Submission.

I have been listening to KLove pretty much exclusively for the last couple of weeks. I had an interesting situation happen to me and as crazy as it may sound, I am not making this up. I was talking to my mom on the phone. I had turned my car radio off when I dialed her number so I could hear her clearly. I had been listening to one of my presets, a secular station. Probably not the best thing for me to be listening to. lol. Things have been especially difficult in my life the last couple of years and so these talks with my mom are pretty consistent and awfully repetitive. Smile God bless my mommy for her patience and commitment to being my sounding board, confidant and best friend. I am blessed. When I hung up with her I let my head fall back and sighed. The thought crossed my mind "I wonder what is on KLove". So I turned my radio on and KLove was playing "Lead me". KLove is not a preset on my radio and my radio was on a secular preset when I turned it off. I dont know how but its obvious that there is something that God wants me to take notice of in my life as far as my music selection is concerened. Praise Him because I have been listening to it almost exclusively ever since. And it has had me in tears everyday, almost the whole time that Im listening.

In listening on my way to work I caught the "My One Word" segment. A lot of great suggestions were made and it got me thinking. Several ideas came to mind; Faith, discipline (as it was touched on by someone else), Patience and a number of others. None of them touched me. Then Submission came to mind and I tried to brush it off. Im very type A. Im mouthy and opinionated and my abandonment issues that I struggle with on a consistent basis cause me to be awfully controlling. My flesh doesnt want to have anything to do with this word because its too hard. But I guess this is the direction God wants me to go. In thinking about Submission, God put it on my heart that it is an all encompassing word. To be submissive to Him, to be submissive to my husband I have to have faith, be disciplined and patient because its just not going to work without all of these aspects in place. Well. To put it out there, in the interest of honesty, my discipline is horrible. lol. Im ADD, inattentive type, among other things and discipline has never been my strong suit. But if this is where God is leading me I guess through Him all things are possible, right? Smile

I pray that all those who have it on their heart to follow through with this challenge have a successful and pleasurable experience with it. If we keep our focus on Him, it may not be easy but we wont be alone. Smile
1/29/2011 6:39:49 AM
Dan United States
Dan
Give.

the Lord provides and he wants us to share his gifts, not keep them.  Have faith that the lord will continue to give. Don't hoard his gifts, he means for us to give them to those who don't know Jesus.

Love Ya'll

Dan
1/31/2011 8:31:27 AM
Mandy Moncrief United States
Mandy Moncrief
Ok, Lisa, you stole my thunder!!!!! I had decided last week on my word for 2011. Although having known the Lord since I was young, I had let life become too busy to sit & soak in God's love through consistent (deep) prayer and reading of God's word. This past October, I attended a retreat that was the most beautiful experience of my life. Since returning on October 31st, 2010, I have listened to nothing but Christian music (i.e. K-LOVE) so I would not for one day miss communing with my Lord. Not one day goes by that I don't feel the power of the Holy Spirit when listening to K-LOVE. (WARNING: One may experience difficulty putting on makeup in the morning due to chill bumps on the face & tears in the eyes while praising God.) I want to seek him even more deeply every day. This past weekend, I had the absolute humbling honor to serve God as a team member putting on the very same type of retreat that I attended in October. And my prayer for each of the retreatants was that after attending this retreat, each woman would desperately seek God every day for the rest of her life. I witnessed 35 women personally and profoundly experience God's love throughout the weekend...And I got to help bring that to pass!!!!! So, my word for 2011 is "seek". And when Lisa talked about the word "seek" this morning, it was my absolute confirmation that I had the right word And that He had answered my prayers for those 35 women.
"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." ~Matthew 6:33.
2/2/2011 11:12:35 PM
Alaina Hull United States
Alaina Hull
The word that has come to me so strongly may seem kind of strange- Keep.  There have been many struggles in my family and in my life the past 3 or 4 months but I have been trying to be faithful to work through it all in prayer.  I feel like I keep hearing God say to me "Keep on- keep going- keep trying- keep strong- keep smiling- but mostly keep close- keep near- keep with Me.
So in 2011 I am going to keep on keeping on.
2/6/2011 10:47:48 AM
Debbie United States
Debbie
Trust
My word for the year will be "trust." I want my trust in God to grow. Trust that He will provide for us, trust that I will have the energy to keep up my busy schedule, trust that my children will return to their faith. The past 2 1/2 years have had many struggles. Divorce, cancer, move to new home, new job, school, my two youngest leaving home for college (one last year and this year my youngest will start college). I want to grow in my trust of my Savior. I have learned over the years to "not trust" many of those close to me based on how they treated me.
In 2011 I want my trust to continue to grown in Christ.