Mar 24 2010

5 Habits of Happy People

Abraham Lincoln once said, “Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”

Here are 5 habits of happy people:

- Reach out - Studies show that relationships are vital to a positive outlook in life.

- Be thankful - This is worth repeating again and again. Each of us has so much to be thankful for. There are the big things and a million little things, too.

- Live your passions - Even if you spend 8 hours a day at a job that doesn't exactly have you leaping out of bed in the morning, you can still find ways to do the things that make you feel most alive.

- Make do - We live in a culture obsessed with buying stuff, and when we're sad. Instead of turning to shopping malls to buy the thing we hope will suddenly make our life happier and complete make the most of what you already have.

- Enjoy the simple pleasures - The best things in life, just like the bumper sticker says, often aren't things and they're usually free.

If you consider yourself a "happy person", what are some of your happy habits?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (15) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/24/2010 8:33:03 AM
Sabrina Brass United States
Sabrina Brass
I try to find something new to be happy and grateful for every day. It's usually something simple and something made by God. The other day I saw pink and orange flowers, blue skies with puffy white clouds and two adorable birds bathing in the dirt. It made me smile and realize just how awesome God is with his creations.
3/24/2010 8:44:07 AM
Noreen United States
Noreen
I totally agree with this post!! I would like to add one more trait for the key to happiness...... I believe it is in giving to others.

Giving helps take the focus off ourselves and makes me feel great knowing that I have lifted someone else's spirits or helped them in some way.
I want to know my life made a difference!
3/24/2010 8:56:17 AM
Angela United States
Angela
To encourage praise, prayer and a good attitude...we gather each morning before we walk out the door, hold hands and say the following prayer (as a family)
Dear Jesus,
Please give us strength to make good choices, have good attitudes and treat others as I want to be treated. Amen
Even when we didn't all get ready together, the kids and I would "call Daddy" to say our morning prayer and he would stop what he was doing and pray aloud w/ us.
It makes a great difference and I notice and miss it if we ever forget (which is rare)

Thank you for all that you do and the peace and grace that you bring into my life and the lives of countless others!

Have a beautifully blessed day!
3/24/2010 9:02:22 AM
Rae United States
Rae
Choose to be happy and positive. Get up and say I'm not going to be negative today. I'm going to choose happiness. Happiness is a choice. It's also contagious. Smile, be happy and those around you will do the same.
3/24/2010 9:17:18 AM
Olivia United States
Olivia
Hey Eric,
One thing that I do to keep happy durong the day is to think positive during the day, and have good thoughts during the day. It really helps improve your day!!

~Olivia
3/24/2010 9:57:23 AM
Heather Sheppard United States
Heather Sheppard
so, I am  a ridiculously happy person, and I think it is partly a gift from God!  Because I couldn't have created in me the ability to have joy.  So it is all HIS JOY in me.  WHOOHOO!  which helps when things stink!
3/25/2010 6:48:10 AM
Jose Cruz Puerto Rico
Jose Cruz
Good morning Lisa and Eric, God bless your  and your work always.  I asked that you please pray for me and Camille (fiancee). We are going through a very hard and trying moment do to a very stupid act that i committed.  I have asked for forgiveness to the Lord and Camille. I have repented and hope that Camille can one day forgive me.  God bless all of you and thank you.
3/25/2010 6:48:59 AM
Joann Gillman-Lentz United States
Joann Gillman-Lentz
I try to smile, even when I dont feel like it. It changes how I feel especially when someone smiles back.
3/25/2010 6:57:14 AM
Teresa Reynolds United States
Teresa Reynolds
SIMPLFY, SIMPLFY,SIMPLFY!
Summer of 2008 God and been nodging me to listen to Him and I wasn't paying attention.  I was in an antique shop and their was "my sign".  The sign had one word on it SIMPLFY!
I took God serious and convinced my husband to do the same.  We had a 4 bedroom home, 4 cars, a motorcycle and lots of STUFF.  That summer we sold the extra vehicles.  That winter we put our house up for sale and bought a one bedroom home and remodled it. That summer, 2009, we finished the remodling sold and gave away alot of our STUFF and moved into our one bedroom home.  The freedom and happiness flooded us.  During this process my father-law became ill with cancer and passed away in Dec 2009.  We lost 6 family members to death last year and my husband lost his job.  Thanks to God for nodging me to simplify our lives so that we could have the strength to care of others.  Today we are happier then we have ever been with our SIMPLFIED life!!
3/25/2010 9:36:03 PM
Auda De Leon United States
Auda De Leon
I used to suffer from terrible depression.  Then God got a hold of me.  He makes me happy, he brings joy that I didn't think possible.  His presence makes me the happiest. Thank you Lord.
3/26/2010 9:16:57 AM
Jennifer White United States
Jennifer White
My motto in life is "Get over it!" Why get ruffled up over things? You have to ask yourself, Will this really matter tomorrow or next week? Probably not, so just move on to the next thing. Life is too short and too beautiful to spend your time being angry over things that don't really matter.
3/28/2010 8:18:01 AM
Sue Streh United States
Sue Streh
In a day, the most important thing for me being new in Christ.  Meditating on him.  I do it better with K-Love on and when it isn't I try to keep the songs in mind and even at times pray as I work.  I simply cannot get enough of him. My friends call me finatic and tell me I am warped.  I have had lots on my mind and when I do I consult my God.
Of all the habits of this happy forgiven blessed to know God person, I think meditating on him is the most important.  Praise to the King of all.
Thanks  for asking.
Susie
3/28/2010 3:20:48 PM
andrzej3 Taiwan
andrzej3
who painted this theme? preety cool
3/31/2010 8:17:59 AM
Joy Burmaster United States
Joy Burmaster
One of the things that makes me happy is SPRING! I love spring! I love to see the new green leaves on the trees and the beautiful blooms on the tulip trees, lilacs, and other flowers trees and bushes, and the new spring flowers popping their little heads out of the ground. This morning on my way to work I was passin...g a densely wooded area. Flying out of the thick grove of young trees were two bright red cardinals chasing each other. The trees do not yet have their leaves, so they are still dull and lifeless looking from the winter. Seeing these bright colored birds flying out from the dullness was so refreshing! God is so good!
11/1/2010 11:27:38 PM
Cool-Motorcycle Peru
Cool-Motorcycle
Resources comparable to the one u named here will be really useful to me! ill post a backlink to this page on my blog.