May 03 2010

Sanctus Real - Update on Matt & Sarah Hammitt's baby

Many of you have been praying for and following the journey of Matt and Sarah Hammitt and their unborn baby boy.  Matt, lead singer of Sanctus Real, and his wife recently found out that their little guy has a heart problem (hypoplastic left heart). They are praying for a miracle for healing, but more than anything they want God to be glorified through this trial they are going through.

And they have a name for their little boy - Bowen - which means "small victorious one".

They have been extremely touched and encouraged by the outpouring of prayers and support from K-LOVE listeners. Matt will be checking in with us on a regular basis to let us know how their baby is doing and how we can pray for them. Matt & Sarah have also created a blog for you to get  updates and follow their journey.  It's - http://bowensheart.wordpress.com/

If you missed our conversation with Matt, click the links below

Matt Hammitt (Part 1)

Matt Hammitt (Part 2)

4/29/2010 4:00:15 AM
Denise Payne United States
Denise Payne
Cincinnati Ohio.
4/29/2010 4:41:09 AM
Hailey Denton United States
Hailey  Denton
I've been praying for Matt every day ever since I found out about Bowen.
4/29/2010 6:48:04 AM
Lisa Elliott United States
Lisa Elliott
Sending out some prayers for the family to be touched my Gods hands and to have the peace they need God Bless this family
4/29/2010 9:04:31 AM
Perry United States
Perry
I will keep you and your family in my prayers daily. I know Bowen will be alright.  With God all things are possible.
4/29/2010 12:50:14 PM
Cara McWilliams United States
Cara McWilliams
Our son was born with a rare heart defect and had a heart transplant at the age of 2 months old. He will turn 16 this summer and has no problems. God is awesome and you, your family and little Bowen are in our prayers!!!
4/30/2010 9:01:17 AM
Yvonne United States
Yvonne
Bowen means "small victorious one."  We live near Evansville Indiana and are going to the concert.  I am trying to have t-shirts made for a Bowen fan club at the mall today.
4/30/2010 10:22:51 AM
Claire United States
Claire
God can touch Bowen! With God all things are possible. I just wanted to say that I am praying for him. Please keep us updated on how everything goes. I support klove!
4/30/2010 2:17:15 PM
Patrick United States
Patrick
John 9:1-3 (King James Version)

John 9
"1And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
2And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
3Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."

I suffered most of my childhood with medical issues.  When I was 11 I found out I had a very unusual heart arrythmia problem.  Test after test only left the doctors with more questions, and less answers.  They claimed there was no treatment, and the outlook was "uncertain".  I heard it said that my particular situation was the first ever in medical recorded history.  When I was 17 I had sudden death syndrome.  I lay lifeless for days on life support.  The doctors prepared my family for the worst.  I started waking up, but was still given little hope of recovery.  I got better, and was given little chance of a "normal" life.  They said the brain damage, heart damage, and lung damage were to severe for me to be normal, and my outcome was "uncertain".  They told my parents I would need full time help, and would never be able to take care of myself.  An ICD (more commonly known as a pacemaker/defibulator) was implanted.  I went home to un "uncertain" future with man, but a miracle with God.  The only thing the doctors ever got right, was the fact that my future was "uncertain".  My brain "damage" was reversed.  My lung "damage" disappeared.  My heart "damage" actually fixed whatever problems they found at age 11, then disappeared over time along with the rest of it.  I now am very functional, and healthy.  My doctor recently told me he would be more shocked to see me in the hospital with heart failure, than any other "normal" person my age!  I live life unrestricted!  My heart beats normal around 90% of the time.  I am married, have three healthy kids, and lead a "normal" life!  Some of my recovery was not instant, but it did happen.  I have NO health problems now, and don't even take medicine.  I give God the glory, and thank Him that he picked me, just like he might be picking your little boy, to manifest his power and glory, like explained by Jesus in John 9:1-3.
5/1/2010 1:34:40 PM
Lisa United States
Lisa
My daughter was also born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS), as well as many other heart defects.  She has been through 2 open heart surgeries, and one other for her intestines.  Today she is a happy and healthy 3 year old.  I will be sending my prayers for this family.  God is good!!
5/2/2010 8:25:27 AM
Mercy United States
Mercy
You are all in God's precious hands. Be of good cheer for God is faithful and will give you all you need.
Romans 8:26-28
We love you and will continue to pray for you.
be blessed and know that God is in control.
5/3/2010 4:43:04 PM
Elizabeth Evans United States
Elizabeth Evans
So sweet!!! I am praying VERY hard for their baby!!! God Bless!!!
5/3/2010 10:50:05 PM
:) United States
my heart goes out to your family. Lil bowen is safe in the "Good Lord's" hands and he will never leave nor forsake us. love you guys and will continue to praying for your family.
5/4/2010 2:56:12 PM
Debbie Sneddon United States
Debbie Sneddon
Asking God for a miracle healing for baby Bowen's heart at home, at the ministry I work at and at our church. We recently as today found out my grandson Jayden Christopher who is to be born June 10th had Tuberous Sclerosis Complex which we found on an ultrasound at the Crisis pregnancy center I work at, when my son and his fiance went back to Indiana they confirmed there was an issue with his left ventricle. They saw a pediatric cardiologist today and the diagnosis at this point is TSC--I am praying there will be none of the other conditions that can occur, it is genetic but can just be from a faulty gene in either the mother's egg or father's sperm called gonadal mosaicism and was no way to tell but it did not catch our heavenly Father off guard. Right now his heart is functioning normal, God's will be done, I trust Him to hold both our babies hearts. God bless you and your family.
5/8/2010 9:23:25 PM
Torie Rodgers United States
Torie Rodgers
I've been praying for them since I heard their story. I heard their story one day, shortly after losing my son just before birth. My son didn't have the same condition - he actually wasn't sick at all, I developed a quick onset of severe preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome, too quick to be able to save my baby. I've been praying for them, I pray that their son will be ok. But, I just want to tell them, if something does happen to their precious son, I just want to tell them to take lots of pictures, the pictures (and a lock of hair) are all I have left of my son... and I often wish I had more pictures. Really, take tons of pictures of him, his whole body, his head, his hands, his fingers around yours, his little feet, his little feet in your hands, just take tons of pictures... if something does happen, that will be all you have, and if God willing your son is fine, well, you'll have an awesome baby book to show his wife when he gets older. Love this time that you have with your son, while we are all praying that your little one will be ok, I know you realize the reality is that it is possible that your time with him may be brief, so enjoy every moment that you can... I wish I could still feel my little boy moving, I wish he would shove his feet in my ribs, just once more...
5/9/2010 11:25:23 AM
Mara Thibodeau United States
Mara Thibodeau
We are truly blessed to hava a daughter that has HLHS as well.  She is a thriving seven year old.  It has been an awesome journey for us.  It was difficult at times, but the Lord has brought us through.  Abigal only has the heart defect.  We saw so many other babies that had multiple problems.  We have also had the priviledge to share with so many other families about the process. Feel free to contact us about any questions that you might have.  It is always helpful to know that there is someone out there that understands where you are at and can answer any questions you might have.  We wil be praying for you and your family.