May 19 2010

The Sleep Doctor - Dr. Archibald Hart

If you're not getting enough sleep, you are not alone.  But beyond just being groggy the next morning, a lack of sleep can have a profound, negative impact on your family.  We checked in with the "Sleep Doctor" Dr. Archibald Hart, author of "Sleep: It Does a Family Good", to get in some insight into the importance of sleep and practical steps to help your kids get to bed at night.

So go take a nap and if you want to found out more about Dr. Hart's work, click here.

5/19/2010 5:48:08 AM
Josh United States
Josh
Sleep is way over rated!  Anyway, though of this song by Riley Armstrong.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBS5tumMsbk
5/19/2010 1:33:48 PM
Mary Hope United States
Mary Hope
Courage.  I guess this would make a WOW moment for the morning show but I just got this in my email.

You're a 19 year old kid.

You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam.

It's November 11, 1967.

LZ(landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.

You look up to see a Huey coming in. But ... It doesn’t seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway, even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.

And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!

Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.

He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain  Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho .

May God Bless and Rest His Soul.
5/19/2010 4:14:43 PM
Becca Hastings Nebraska United States
Becca Hastings Nebraska
I LOVE TO SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
STAY UP LATE AND WAKE UP LATE....................
5/20/2010 9:46:24 AM
Crystal Potter United States
Crystal Potter
I'm definitely in need of this advice. Sleep is one of the things I crave the most and get the least of. Everything else takes priority over it and eventually it catches up with me and my immune system crashes. I'm a teacher and I'm trying to make it through the last 9 school days of the year. I'm living as a single mom right now, taking care of my two kids under 3 years while working full time, taking care of all the household duties and trying to work through my own issues and show love to my  husband who's moved out to try to save my marriage. I know I will be stronger for having gone through this. Maybe next time I have to choose a nap or some other priority I'll give sleep a turn at the top of the list. ;)
5/21/2010 11:58:57 AM
Claire United States
Claire
I love to sleep in! And, go to bed really late. Sometimes, I have to get up early-but if I had a choice-I would sleep in!
5/21/2010 7:33:05 PM
Rebecca United States
Rebecca
I never get ENOUGH sleep, but I could dream forever...
7/2/2010 12:29:53 AM
Discount Medical Scrubs United States
Discount Medical Scrubs
Spot on with this article, I really think this website needs more attention.  I'll probably be back to read more, thanks for the info.