Jun 01 2010

Hurricane Season

Today is the beginning of "Hurricane Season".  Now, you may live in an area that doesn't have to worry about hurricanes, but for some, hurricanes are an all-too-real part of your life.

For those of you have never encountered one before, here are some of things people do to prepare for hurricanes (from the National Hurricane Center):

Discuss the type of hazards that could affect your family. Know your home's vulnerability to storm surge, flooding and wind.

Locate a safe room or the safest areas in your home for each hurricane hazard. In certain circumstances the safest areas may not be your home but within your community.

Determine escape routes from your home and places to meet. These should be measured in tens of miles rather than hundreds of miles.

Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact, so all your family members have a single point of contact.

Make a plan now for what to do with your pets if you need to evacuate.

Post emergency telephone numbers by your phones and make sure your children know how and when to call 911.

Check your insurance coverage - flood damage is not usually covered by homeowners insurance.

Stock non-perishable emergency supplies and a Disaster Supply Kit.

Use a NOAA weather radio. Remember to replace its battery every 6 months, as you do with your smoke detectors.

Take First Aid, CPR and disaster preparedness classes.

6/1/2010 6:19:06 AM
Renee' Hass United States
Renee' Hass
During a hurricane you rarely think about what might be good or ok.  I live in Louisiana; during Katrina my sister-in-law's parents (who lived in Slidell) went to her brother's house in Covington for safety.  They were not hit by the hurricane in Covington but by a tornado.  As they, 6 people - 2 elderly, one younger adult with physical disabilities and the other 3 in good health ran from room to room while the roof and ceiling would disappear above them until they were all in the last room of the house.  The roof and ceiling stayed.  God is amazing!  Every year we get "ready" for hurricanes but you just never know what will happen.  I have seen more than I want and I have learned things can be replaced.  I believe the frist hurricane was the hardest.  I thought we would be ok in Baton Rouge but the water damage got my most prized positions, our family pictures.  I was a "scrapbooking" queen and everything was laid out in my scrapbooking room which flooded.  It was two days before my husband checked that room, it never occured to me the room could flood.  We built our house 18" above ground level.  I still have the water line on the wall to remind me - love, love, love and God is always faithful.  Thank you and I hope everything has a safe hurricane season especially with all of the oil in the gulf.  Thank you, Renee' in Baton Rouge
6/1/2010 11:52:37 AM
Kathy United States
Kathy
I am a new listener, I have a good hurricane story to share. My mother-in-law and immediate family is not saved and lives in SW Florida. A few years back, Hurricane Charley was expected to hit her town with its full force. They were shut in a closet with mattresses over their heads, waiting to pass through the eye of the storm, watching regional newscasts on a battery-powered TV. She knew that we and our church family were praying fervently for them. They then saw a local TV station show what they called a "most unusual for a hurricane" hiccup that made the storm  bounce back out to sea just a bit, and then strike with its full force north of their town, so they missed the eye. Furthermore, her house had only a few tiles fall off the roof, where other neighbors sustained more damage. God is never obligated to miraculously preserve us in this way, but we know that He was wooing her to Himself by doing this. She went around telling everyone as she helped them clean up, "don't tell ME God doesn't answer prayer!!!" Still praying for her salvation.
6/3/2010 1:22:01 PM
Mary United States
Mary
    I spent the first 18 years of my life in the Midwest. 3 weeks after I moved to Galveston, TX for my freshman year of college, Ike hit. With no car and no family within 1000 miles, I had to make my own arrangements with 2 friends who also couldn't get home. Originally, we were told that the likelihood of the storm hitting the island was very small, so pack enough for four days. By the end of it, we had spent 2 weeks out of school, after which classes reconvened at the main campus in College Station. After those two weeks, we were allowed to go back to the island to retrieve our belongings. At the beginning of it, we were essentially three homeless 18 year olds in a car with four days' worth of clothes. We drove to DFW area. The first family we stayed with, a wealthy and supposedly very Christian family, asked us to help with the household chores in return for their hospitality, which we were more than willing to do. After 3 days of dusting, vacuuming, chopping wood, burning trash, etc., they kicked us out at 8pm because we "were being too anti-social and treated them like a bed and breakfast." They told us they had heard there were refugees being taken in at a city that was 4 hours away. Instead, we contacted another friend from campus who was staying with family on the other side of Dallas, and they graciously accepted us for the duration of "hurrication" (hurricane vacation) as it was widely known.
     God took care of us. None of us had to worry about damage to our homes. All our belongings were safely packed on the school's training ship that was taken around the hurricane, so the only expenses we incurred were for the extra clothes and toiletries we had to buy to get through the first two weeks and the groceries we bought (4 teenagers go through a lot of food). Also, within one semester, the campus was almost completely repaired. By the end of the school year, the island looked almost normal.
     The biggest lessons I learned from this? Above all else, don't panic, and don't stress out. Remember Who's child you are and Who will take care of your every need even when you can't see how.
   If you can leave, do so. I can't tell you how to prepare your house. However, for you and your family, find a friend or relative who lives far enough inland to not have to worry about life-threatening storms. Pack enough for AT LEAST two weeks (including cash, and if there's a possibility of a power outage, food and water) ALWAYS have back-up plans for your back-up plans. Keep in touch with family and friends if possible so they don't panic (facebook, mass text messages, or mass emails help).
     If you run across a stranded family or a group of college students who are refugees with no way home and who just need a few meals and roof over their heads for a week or two, please, PLEASE don't kick them out into the night. They'll more than likely do everything in their power to help you with chores, groceries, cooking, babysitting... anything they can do to show their gratitude for your hospitality. God could be using you to not only save their lives, but also to witness to them so that He can save their souls. And if they're Christians, God is using you to encourage them during their time of need and remind them that even though it may not seem like it, God loves them and is with them every step of the way. Thank you.
6/28/2010 8:54:00 PM
Best Penis Enlargement Product Hungary
Best Penis Enlargement Product
Excellent blog engine blog! Maintain it up!
6/28/2010 9:38:28 PM
Florida Impact Resistant Windows United States
Florida Impact Resistant Windows
I am impressed by the quality of information on this website.  There are a lot of good resources here.  I am sure I will visit this place again soon.
6/30/2010 12:23:10 AM
Proven Penis Enlargement Philippines
Proven Penis Enlargement
Hey � I�m talking to a tremendous amount of webmasters to discover out if they have heard nearly nearly anything concerning the substantial website engine change which is inside the works? With WP releasing 3 pretty shortly, the word on the street is that BE is going to make a ton of alterations that appear like WP changes. Shoot me an email at any time you listen to a single thing.