Jun 06 2010

Coach John Wooden

A great man of God, Coach Wooden passed away on Friday, June 4, 2010, at the age of 99. To honor a man who truly made a difference and who lived what he coached and believed, we've posted this video for you today. Also, find his quotes, amazing resources and a tribute at coachwooden.com.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (11) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/7/2010 6:07:33 AM
Matt United States
Matt
John Wooden was an amazing man. That recent quote realy said something.
6/7/2010 7:39:15 AM
Michael Cranmer United States
Michael Cranmer
Message to KLOVE morning program Monday, June 7 2010.

During my drive in to work this morning I heard several discussions about the life and career of John Wooden.

Somewhere on my path of faith I learned of John Wooden and his life achievements way back in the early 1990‘s. I don’t remember exactly how I heard of this extraordinary man’s accomplishments.  Quite possibly through a Christian radio program while I was on the road traveling through this great country.

I remember searching the local Barnes and Noble book store for several books about his life. A must read is “John Wooden One on One”. It summarizes his life, faith and career. I have since read several other books about his life teaching. Years ago I adopted his pyramid of success strategy.

I carry in my wallet a 3 x 5 card with which I have written on one side - John’s Seven Point Creed:

Be true to yourself
Help others
Make each day your masterpiece
Drink deeply from good books – especially the Bible
Make friendship a fine art
Build a shelter against a rainy day
Pray for guidance and count and give thanks for you blessings every day

On the other side I wrote Proverbs 3:1 - My child, never forget the things I have taught you. Store my commands in your heart.

And below that, one of John’s favorite poems by Henry Van Dyke.

Four things a man must learn to do
If he would make his life more true:

To think without confusion clearly,
To love his fellow man sincerely,
To act from honest motives purely,
To trust in God and Heaven securely.

I have rewritten the card several times over the years as it wore out and refer to it from time to time when life’s journey becomes sullen and unclear, or just to review where I am and where I am going.

Over the years I have given this card to my son and daughter as the entered college as inspiration as they begin there journey through life’s path. I ask, from time to time, if they still have that card I gave them and if they need another. I treasure mine and I hope others will also and I think there are several who I have yet to give one.

When I get to Glory - John Wooden will be one I would like to meet in Heaven; however I don’t think basketball will be at the top of the conversation.

Thanks John – Peace

Michael Cranmer
6/7/2010 7:50:33 AM
Diamante United States
Diamante
What is the quote of C. Wooden about character and reputation?
6/7/2010 7:57:53 AM
Kirk United States
Kirk
John Wooden embodied the essence of what a man should be.  The Holy Spirit was alive in his heart each and every day.  I challenge all men to follow in his footsteps.
6/7/2010 9:16:27 AM
Harriet Brodie United States
Harriet Brodie
The quote from John Wooden and the card of Michael Cranmer's are great! Very inspiring even for me who likes basketball but not a "follower" of basketball. What a blessing this man's life was and will continue to be...
6/7/2010 9:44:39 AM
deb United States
deb
RIP John Wooden, a Beta Man! Beta Theta Pi Fraternity! http://www.betathetapi.org/
6/7/2010 2:25:32 PM
paul prystawik United States
paul prystawik
What an incredible example John Wooden was to all who knew of him.A man of God and a man of perfect integrity, our society could sure use every pointer Mr.Wooden offered.If you truly want to know what true success is and how to achieve it read one of his many books.Also I cant recommend enough his childrens book INCH and MILES.I read it to my daughter years ago and I believe it helped start her on her wonderful journey that has been filled with real success stories.
The Lord has called up a great one, we all should get to know him a little better.
6/7/2010 5:25:39 PM
Jeremy United States
Jeremy
One quote that stood out in my mind that Mr Wooden said was:
"Talent is God given, be humble.
Fame is man, be greatful.
Conciete is self given, be careful."
6/7/2010 9:40:30 PM
sherril United States
sherril
I had the privlage of being in a youth group At First Christain Church in Santa Monica where john wooten attended and also was a part time youth group leader he was a true inspiration to all of us . Now with facebook many of that group have reunited that was in 1968 so we are not young anymore but we enjoy exchanging grandkid pictures sherril in boulder creek calif
6/26/2010 10:21:09 PM
Eve Viloria United States
Eve Viloria
Can you please help me. I recall the morning show discussion on this man who was a father for many through his coaching and I remember a reading of a motto he lived by in guiding the youth that really stood out to me. Do you have any idea what I am talking about? I am sorry for so late of a post Frown The story reminded me of "footprints in the sand" but not and it was very inspiring, especially to fathers.
6/28/2010 8:54:28 PM
Best Penis Enlargement Product Iceland
Best Penis Enlargement Product
What an epic post � in fact important! A fantastic deal appreciated!