Jun 15 2010

A Dad's Role in Raising Boys

With Father's Day around the corner, we dig into the topic of a father's role in raising boys.  David Thomas, who co-wrote the book "Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys" with Stephen James, joins us this morning to talk about this important role.

David Thomas is a therapist and director of counseling for men and boys at Daystar Counseling in Nashville, Tennessee. He lives in Nashville with his wife, Connie; daughter, Lily; and twins, Baker and Witt.

5 Stages of a boy's development

1) The Explorer (ages 2-4) - As soon as a boy can walk and talk, he begins exploring the edges of his world.

2) The Lover (ages 5-8) - A boy at this stage is more sensitive to the feelings and needs of others around him, and he begins to experience his first spiritual awakening.

3) The Individual (ages 9-12) - Boys at this stage are developing a stronger sense of self and have started to consider what it means to be a man.

4) The Wanderer (ages 13-17) - At this stage, a boy will careen back and forth between his desire for adult involvement and his desire to be left alone.

5) The Warrior (ages 18-22) - Boys at this stage are full of promise, purpose, and insight in the homestretch of a long journey.

6/15/2010 6:40:14 AM
Debbie D. Hoffman United States
Debbie D. Hoffman
Hey, will you just remember that not everyone has a great relationship with their father and that for some families it is hard when the only thing you talk about is great dads and getting them on the cruise.
6/15/2010 6:49:17 AM
lisa United States
lisa
we really do understand, Debbie...

hope you're listening--we're about to share your comment on the air.

-Lisa
6/15/2010 7:16:07 AM
Paige Fetters United States
Paige Fetters
Hey! I was listening this morning and David mentioned that he has written another book for expectant fathers. Could you tell me that name of that book? My husband and I are expected our first child in December and we have really been talking about our role as parents. After hearing about the new movie coming out from the makers of "Fireproof", my husband has been talking about how his role will be the spiritual leader of the household. When David mentioned his book this morning, it seemed like it was on the same track as the movie and I would love to get him the book for Father's Day! Thank you Smile
6/15/2010 7:22:19 AM
Veronica Rivera United States
Veronica Rivera
Its true that we all dont have a good reationship with dads im the only girl of 6 kids and i really dont have a good relationship with my dad but God is always their for you.. In my life I have a GREAT rollemodel for a dad his one of my older brother I love him very much because when I really thought life was getting worst he stood by my side helped me get my life back togeter he introduce me to God he gives me advice and he dosent let me fall he keeps me on my feet to me he is a great dad rollemodel... Know i understand why God gave me all brothers  Happy fathers Day
6/15/2010 7:44:26 AM
Bethany Roossinck Canada
Bethany Roossinck
I have an great Dad (and Mom), but I understand Debbie.  I have many friends to whom my parents have become 'Mom' & 'Dad' to because their own parents are not great, or they've passed on.  I challange Debbie to find someone to be a 'Father.'  Lots of empty-nesters would love to come along side - love; encourage; pray with etc.
6/15/2010 8:09:56 AM
Connie Danford United States
Connie Danford
I was widowed 5 1/2 years ago. I had 3 teen age children, 2 sons and a daughter. We became a VERY close knit family when my husband got sick with cancer.  After my husband passed on to eternity, I realized how much my children, especially my boys, wanted to support my every physical and emotional need, but I also realized how unhealthty that was for them (they had their own grief & life to deal with).  So, I tried very hard to make them know that I was gong to be OK, and made it a point to get support from other sources.  They have since become proud of their Mother for her strength and faith, because they watched as I turned to the Lord for my comfortand & taught them to do the same.  We have emerged from the "valley of the shadow of death" a stronger, more confidant, faithful family.
Be Blessed, Connie Danford (Baton Rouge La)
6/15/2010 2:30:03 PM
Elizabeth United States
Elizabeth
This is the first Father's Day since my divorce. I have two small boys 3 and 5 and I am struggling with whether or not I should have them send him a card. He has caused not only me, but the boys a lot of pain in the last year by his actions and has become almost non-existent in their lives by his choice alone. I feel maybe I should as a way to show God's love but my own hurt is stopping me. Any thoughts?
3/12/2011 1:58:13 AM
mockingjay pdf United States
mockingjay pdf
The moment I saw this blog was like wow. Thanks for putting your effort in publishing this post. %WEBSITE%