Jun 21 2010

Shine Your Light

On this first day of Summer there is more sunlight today than any other day of the year.  So we have more "light" to let our light shine.  Here are some ways you can make a difference today, courtesy of author and Pastor Max Lucado ...

• Volunteer at a local prison.
  • Visit patients in a local AIDS hospice or hospital.
  • Read books or share music with the elderly at a nursing home.
  • Take a fast from drinking anything but water for a month, and donate the money saved to help bring clean water to those who need wells.
  • Look around your neighborhood and ask if single parents, handicapped, or elderly people need help with house or yard projects.
  • Throw a special dinner party at your house for people who usually eat alone.
  • Be a big brother or big sister to a child who doesn't have two parents.
  • Organize clothes or a food drive to aid local ministries.
  • Pack "snack packs" to hand out to homeless people to see on the street.
  • Take a working mission trip outside the country.
  • Write letters of support to soldiers stationed away from their families.
  • Learn about child slavery and work with service organizations.
  • Secretly pay for someone's dinner bill at a restaurant.
  • Identify a group of people you have previously disliked or held a bias against, then make an effort to move toward them in love.
  • Help to paint or fix - up worn down fences and houses in low-income parts of your town.
  • Help organize a community garden to aid those living on a fixed income.
  • Build teams to help raise funds and awareness for specific charities through walks, runs and other fundraisers (such as Hoops of Hope, 40 - Hour Famine, Soles4Souls).
  • Schedule prayer marathons at your church to pray about specific needs in your community.

6/21/2010 6:08:11 AM
Tina United States
Tina
Is it not sad that we have to set aside a day and call it make a difference day.  We should be living this every day as Jesus walked the earth doing and teaching us through His word to do and live.
I am not perfect or claim to be.  We were talking about similar things at church yesterday.  Like not living ours lives and showing we are christians everyday and not just on Sundays.
Tina
6/21/2010 6:48:38 AM
Judy Bailey United States
Judy Bailey
My Husband and I try to make a difference when ever we are out.  We purchase McDonald or Sonic food cards and keep them in our car with a track booklet, "He had no home" about Christ that walked from town to town and had no home.  We place the food card in the track and when we see a homeless person on the corner we give them one.  Feeding them with the word from scripture and with food.
6/21/2010 7:38:24 AM
Lisa United States
Lisa
I beleive in random acts of kindness and I love Make a Difference Mondays. On this particular Monday I was in the drive up lane at my favorite coffee place and I noticed the women behind me looking like she needed a reminder that life/god are good. While I was sitting in my car waiting my turn to pay for my coffee I decided I would buy the coffee for the lady behind me. This isn't that unsual for me. I have done so many times in the past. On this particular day though I had the thought "I wish someone would show that kind of grace/kindness toward me." Followed by the thought "I am blessed when I make these efforts to share random kindness...this is god working through me and that is my grace and gift from god." I felt pleased by the thought. I pulled up to the window and said "please add the purchase for lady behind me..." The young lady rang me up -I handed her my card... and low and behold my card was declined and I had no cash. I was so embarrased. The cashier said "no problem" and I left with my free cup of coffee and obviously not paying for the person behind me as I intended to do. When I got to work I called my bank to find out why my card was declined. I resolved the issue and called the coffee place back to pay for my coffee. I explained to the store manager what occured and she said "Oh don't worry about it...it's my pleasure to give you the coffee for no charge." Needless to say I was struck at how quickly God heard my desire to be in his grace today...and I was - more than once. Thank you.
6/21/2010 9:18:11 AM
Tonya United States
Tonya
Thanks for challenging me this morning on my way to work. I get so wrapped up in myself and my MINOR problems that I forget to use my spiritual gift of encouragement. When I heard the challenge to help someone today, I immediately thought of a friend. This friend is married with 2 kids and is also taking online classes. Her husband works offshore and is offshore for 2-4 weeks at a time. I can imagine how hard it is for her to juggle cleaning, cooking, taking care of kids, schoolwork, and getting her me time in every day. So, I invited her over for dinner tonight to give her a break from cooking and to let her kids play with my kids for a little while. I hope this will bless her and refresh her in ways that she deeply needs. Pray for this sweet family along with me. The Colemans.
6/21/2010 11:46:00 AM
Lindsay United States
Lindsay
Thanks for mentioning Soles4Souls! We appreciate the support! You can visit our website for more information on how to get involved as well: http://www.soles4souls.org/
6/22/2010 4:14:20 AM
Renee Brannigan United States
Renee Brannigan
Make a Difference Monday: Truck driver Robert, kindly changed my flat tire in Smithfield, RI on busy 295. Nick, a State Trooper, kindly parked his cruiser behind my car with lights flashing and protected us from the heavy traffic. While Robert changed the tire, Nick spoke with my children (3 and 5).  It was a time of miracles. The tire didn't blow out. There was not a car nearby when the tire went flat. Although I was on a little bridge, the car was able to make it safely past an on ramp to the breakdown lane. Miraculously, my cell phone, which started low-battery beeping when i tried to dial AAA, had just enough charge left to make and take all the calls needed. We are safe. We are thankful. I asked Robert for an address where we could send him a thank you card, he declined. He just likes to help people.  Passing it on: We went for ice cream for dinner (my nerves were shot, and what's better than ice cream?) A young lady got sick in the parking lot, I was able to hand her a bunch of refreshing baby wipes. Her dad didn't have anything in the car for her to clean up.  It feeds your soul when you can help in any way. YAY! Thank you K-LOVE for inspiring us all!!
6/22/2010 4:08:28 PM
Jimmie Carol Green United States
Jimmie Carol Green
Atascadero Homeless Shelter NEEDS Volunteers!
"ECHO" (805)461-0532
manager MARK

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
6/28/2010 6:47:10 AM
Carissa United States
Carissa
"Adopt a child or donate to a family who is adopting."  should definitely be on that list!!  Smile  God calls us to help the orphans.  What a difference it makes in the LIFE (not just a day) of a child who had no hope!