Jun 22 2010

"Lead Me" - The Story Behind the Song

Matt Hammitt, lead singer of Sanctus Real, joined us this morning to share the story behind their song "Lead Me".  It's a song that really speaks to the hearts of lots of K-LOVE listeners, especially men. We appreciate Matt's honesty and transparency.  If you missed what Matt had to say or want to hear it again, click the link below to listen.

The Story Behind Lead Me

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (18) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/22/2010 8:52:54 AM
Leticia Garza United States
Leticia Garza
Greetings:
My husband and I have not changed our radio station from K-love in about 3 months. We both love K-love.It's very upbeat and helps keep our minds on the right track.
We have been having marriage problems for about 3 months now and are trying everything to bring our family back together. We both have broken hearts but it seems my husband is having the worse time dealing with it. Anytime he listens to the song"lead me" he just breaks down in tears.
I ask that you keep my family and I in your prayers.Especially my husband who is going through a state of depression.. God Bless you and we love Lisa and Eric
6/22/2010 9:10:41 AM
TnS2 United States
TnS2
Thanks for sharing this.  I was wondering what it was since you started playing it.  AWESOME.  Sanctus - thanks for recording it!
6/22/2010 2:44:22 PM
Rhonda Hubbard United States
Rhonda Hubbard
Would just like to thank Sanctus Real for this wonderful song. I'm currently in the fight of my life to keep my husband. He has strayed from God and our family. We have a 14 year old daughter whom I had to watch closely for several days due to her wanting to kill herself. I pray everyday that my husband will change the radio in his truck to K-Love and hear this song. It is SO powerful. I truly believe that what happens in our lives is God's Will but there are times that satan rears his ugly head and makes us think otherwise. God Bless You for this song and being the man you are.
6/22/2010 8:05:57 PM
Karen United States
Karen
Love this song, Love this band. Sanctus Real blesses my heart!!!! They seem to get straight to the heart of the struggles in my life.
6/23/2010 3:44:43 AM
Tina Turley
Tina Turley
that we not only need to pray for the car but also make sure we say i love you to those ones we love never know if it will be the last time we see our loved one
6/23/2010 4:51:25 AM
tub surrounds United States
tub surrounds
6/23/2010 5:58:00 AM
Debbie United States
Debbie
it's my brother Steve Mears.  this song breaks my heart to pieces because I cannot believe the great man of integrity would stoop so low to leave his wife, Patty, who was one of my closest friends from high school.  This is not the man we all thought we knew (I know, that's what everyone says, but it's soooo true!) They have 3 boys (22, 21 & 17) and a precious princess they adopted from China 3 years ago. Please, please, please, please pray!!!!
6/23/2010 6:12:54 AM
Curtis United States
Curtis
I was married for ten years and through the grace of god and faith in our lord I was able to forgive and work through the unfaithfulness of my wife,once again I find myself broken and lost. I find myself looking through divorce papers as the one that I love I am without and my 4 beautiful children arent with me always.Sometimes in this world we realize that the free will of others may not change even with a bleeding heart kneeling and praying before God and an open bible in your home.The amount of love honor and compassion we show even to our spouses may not be enough to keep together. So I stay empowered with faith and hold the Love of our Lord in my heart as I meet new ladies in the hope of finding happiness and companionship. Only mostly I find so much pain and sorrow in this world i find myself sharing the word and the love of god with many many people. I wake up with Klove and lie here reaching out and praising God allowing my heart to bleed for him and relieve my own sorrow because each day I know that someone will need to see the light of our savior shine through me.
6/23/2010 6:36:57 AM
Don United States
Don
I love this song,
I have been in a battle with my wife for about 2 years trying to do what ever I can to get the excitment back in our marrage, we have been together for 15 years, we have 7 children all have moved out and on there own journey.
she is feeling that no one needs her anymore, the biggest problem i had was I was tring to "fix" everything myself, when i needed to give it to JESUS and let him show me how to get us back on track. I feel this song was directly sent to me and i am very thankful for God speaking through Santus Real. Thank you all at K-Love.
6/23/2010 7:59:00 AM
Tina United States
Tina
I was driving to work this morning and heard  the meaning behind the song Lead Me.. I was totally brought to tears. My husband and I have been married for almost 12 years to say the least we have had a great marriage. We are parents of 4 children really active in every area of our lives we work in our church, we both have jobs, we are parents to our kids, school activites you name it we are in it. So when I heard him tell the story and hear him get so raw and peel away his layers of imperfection I was moved. I can relate to this whole situation and I thank God for men and woman like this who aren't afraid to be raw, real and honest in their ministry, to be an example to everyone that with a great calling or ministry comes an even greater responsibility. Thank You Lord for K-Love and their Ministry.
6/23/2010 6:37:28 PM
Annie United States
Annie
I was struck by this song in a different way.  I am a working mother of young children with a successful and demanding career in a non-profit organization.  My husband stays home and cares for our sons, and hearing the second verse of the song made me realize that my children need their mom more than they have had recently.  I realize that I am chasing my own dreams, and not investing in them as much as they need.  While this song was written by a man, I could not believe how much it struck home for me and my family as a working mother of young children.  My husband and I have been working through my boundaries with my career and I do not want to cheat my children.  He has been patient and gently leading me to understand God's plan for me as a mom to our three sons.  He is extremely supportive of me and leads our family very well.  I was able to share with him this morning an answer to his prayers! I have resolved to set more clear boundaries with my employer in order to do a better job leading my little boys.  I am so thankful that my husband is leading our family with grace and gentleness!  He is truely a blessing.
6/26/2010 9:40:29 AM
anonymous United States
anonymous
This is really my hearts deepest cry at this point in my life. I don't know how to tell my husband i need him to stand up and lead our family I just continue to pray that God will move in him and call him to be the husband and father God wants him to be. Thank you Sanctus for the encouragement and real genuine honesty of this song!!!
6/26/2010 10:41:50 AM
shirley United States
shirley
I love this song by Santus Real.  Without sharing too much that song saids alot for couples who are struggling with marriage.
6/28/2010 8:58:59 PM
Robin United States
Robin
A dear friend of mine from 38 years ago found me on FB! We have connected to each other, through Jesus allowing us to find each other. That very day he got saved and heard this song. Now he always says He Leads Me! Thank you for your inspiring songs of wisdom. God set him free!!
6/29/2010 6:40:13 PM
aunt b United States
aunt b
Thank you Lord for using Matt to write a song that speaks to the heart of so many wives desire. Kudos to Mrs. Hammitt for being brave enough to vocalize what many a wives want.

Look in any church in America today and you will see a disproportionate amount of women in the congregation. Not because they are married to unbelievers, but because their husbands are not being the spiritual leader of their family.

I don't have a TV, but every once in a while I'm able to catch TD Jakes at The Potter's House. Even in his God-filled megachurch, you will still see more women than men.

And men do like to rationalize. They've worked a 40-60 hour week. They've spent Saturday on the honey-do list. They stayed up late playing video games or watching that movie or that sports channel. They want a peaceful Sunday morning with no kid-noise. And if they do make it to "Sunday service" you can tell they've been arguing in the car for the last 20 minutes.

Come on husbands - step up to the plate, man up. Every church in America could possibly double in size if husbands start showing up, ready to participate.

A girl can pray, can't she? Smile
7/1/2010 12:50:45 PM
christy United States
christy
As I said on our local Spanish Seaking radion on Father's day. Men's calling for provision is more than just financial. They're guidance and leadership in the home is just as important as a mother's prayer. Nothing compares to the feeling a woman and children get when they are being led by a man who loves God. I cannot help it but to fall more in love with my husband when I can sense that he is truly seeking God. There is no greater joy than that of a father and a man who is in tune with his family ad his wife!
1/19/2011 6:48:14 AM
Sarah United States
Sarah
I love this song, but I heard a prayer for husbands associated with it on K-Love, and I'd love to have a copy. Any help?
3/25/2011 8:19:44 AM
MARK United States
MARK
This song has really hit my heart, my wife of 9 years has left me for the 3rd time, we have two beautiful children and one on the way. I know we love each other, we have gotten on communication problem and have let life's little problems consume us. She has filed for divorce and am so broken, but I know it is my job as her husband to step up to the plate and be the Godly man she has always needed, I surprised her with a beautiful Birthday party and today I leave alone, to attend a "Love and Respect" marriage conference to improve myself if we ever get back together. Husbands please take my word, don't take your wife for granted, love her and show her that God lives inside of your heart and that she is important to you, wifes let your husbands know you are proud of them, then the love you need will follow, I have fully given this to the Lord, I just keep praying that she see a man she can "be proud of", Love you baby.