Jul 02 2010

Fireworks Moms - Fireworks Safety

This weekend an estimated 7,000 people will be treated in emergency rooms for fireworks-related injuries. Wow!  We'd rather you not be one of them, so here are some basic fireworks safety tips ...

Before you begin, make sure you have:

  • A bucket of water or hose. Water is important for cooling off spent sparklers, fully extinguishing fireworks, and in case of fire.
  • A clear, flat area away from houses, spectators, leaves, and flammable materials.
  • Closed-toed shoes.
  • Safety glasses for the person igniting the fireworks.

    Sparkler Tips

    • While many consider sparklers to be safe, it's important to remember that you are, in fact, playing with fire: Sparklers can burn at more than 1,000 degrees F, and caused an estimated 800 injuries in 2008.
    • Don't allow children under the age of 12 to handle sparklers.
    • Show older children how to hold sparklers at arm's length, and don't let them run with or wave the sparklers.
    • Stand at least six feet away from another person while using sparklers.
    • To hand a sparkler to another person, give him or her an unlit sparkler and then light it.
    • Don't hold a child in your arms while holding a sparkler.
    • Drop spent sparklers into a bucket of water.

    Other Fireworks Tips

    • Always read and follow the directions.
    • Never relight a failed firework — wait 20 minutes before placing it in a bucket of water.
    • Onlookers must keep a safe distance from the person igniting the fireworks.
    • Children should not play with or ignite fireworks.

 

Comments (2) -

7/2/2010 6:36:56 AM
Tom United States
Tom
Another tip on sparklers. Don't leave the wires laying in the grass. This happened to a friend some years back. A few days later his Dad was mowing the lawn and a sparkler wire shot out and stuck in my friends leg. It was in deep and very painful! Don't leave those little missiles laying in the grass!
7/2/2010 6:44:28 AM
Sue United States
Sue
Don't forget.  A child can drown in a bucket that has just a few inches of water in it.  Better to douse used sparklers in a shallow pan of water -- like a 9x13" metal cake/baking pan.  Thanks for reminding folks to be safe this 4th of July.
Comments are closed