Sep 10 2010

Out Live Your Life - Don't Forget the Bread (Chapter 4)

*Chapters posted will be made available on the Lisa & Eric page for one week.  To purchase Out Live Your Life, click here. All author royalties from the book will go towards building water wells in Uganda*

Chapter 4

Don’t Forget the Bread

Out Live Your Life by Max Lucado

To listen to Max discuss this chapter, click here

Questions for Discussion

1.   Describe a time when you forgot something important.

2.   What do the following verses encourage you to value most: Matthew 28:19; John 3:16; John 6:35; John 14:6; Romans 3:23; Romans 10:9; and Ephesians 2:8?

3.   On a sheet of paper, make two lists side by side. In the first column, build a list of the most important things to God and the church. In the second column, make a list of the concerns that distract Christians from those most important things. At the bottom write down some practical ways to shift your focus from the second list to the first. Consider how focusing on the first list might also achieve the best concerns from the second list.

4.   When has someone given you a second chance as the police officer gave Max? Think of a person who is looking for a second chance from you these days. How could you extend grace to that individual the next time you have the opportunity?

5.   Grace gives not just “help for this life but hope for the next.” Which do you find to be more important for people: tangible, physical needs or eternal, spiritual needs? In what situations do you need to meet a physical need first in order to meet a deeper spiritual need? In what situations is the opposite true?

Ideas for Action

When the people asked Peter, “Whatever could this mean?” it was an opportunity for him to speak about the most important things. If an acquaintance or friend said, “I’ve noticed something different about you—what is it?” it would be a great opportunity for you to do the same. Make a note of how you would answer that question.

Pray for five friends, relatives, or acquaintances who you think may be far from God. (If you simply do not know whether God is most important in a person’s life, then he or she could make this list.) For each

of the five names, think of the next time you are likely to see that person. Make a personal commitment to pray daily for your “Five for God” list.

Start a simple but intentional conversation with people about what is most important to you. Here are some ways to initiate the conversation:

·         “Would it be okay for me to tell you what’s happened to me spiritually?”

·         “I want to make sure you know something about me—something I hope is true for you as well.”

·         “Have I ever told you about the most important thing in my life?”

“Reprinted by permission.  Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make A Difference by Max Lucado, 2010, copyright date, Thomas Nelson Inc. Nashville, Tennessee.  All rights reserved.”

9/10/2010 4:38:38 AM
PAstor George M United States
PAstor George M
What an amazing lesson im blessed im exactly like this Amazing we forget the Bread keep it up Lisa and Eric
9/10/2010 7:33:18 AM
Kristen United States
Kristen
Hey ya'll, about what Lisa was saying earlier about the lead singer of Sanctus Real's baby being born, I just wanted to say that everything will be okay. If we put all of our trust, anxiousness, confusion, fear, everything, into His hands, He will see us through. My little brother was born without the most important half of his heart. There was about 1% chance that he would live. Long story short, he had a heart transplant when he was 2 1/2 and is now a lively 9 year old boy! Praise the Lord. If you keep trusting in God, HE WILL SEE YOU THROUGH!!! Love you guys!
~Kristen
Age 13
9/10/2010 8:25:16 AM
Ketha Merrill United States
Ketha Merrill
I just had to go out and buy this book! It has changed my life!! God has shown me some things that I need to do, in His time!!!
Thank yall so much for your ministry!!! It has touched more people than you will ever know!!!
May God Bless yall!!!
9/10/2010 10:34:03 AM
Becky Sorola United States
Becky Sorola
In the actual book are the questions at the end of every chapter? I am considring doing a bible study at my church with this book?
9/13/2010 3:58:32 PM
Staci United States
Staci
I am really enjoying this book!  sometime we need to be reminded of the basic principles we should live by and Max does it in such an awesome way with relevant stories.  I am a little ahead and wanted to tell you after reading chap. 7 the other day i was driving to work and the song "give me your eyes" by brandon heath came on.  It was a perfect way to start my day with that beautiful reminder.  I just thought maybe when you do chap. 7 you might want to play this song afterwards as a positive back up for that chapter.  Thanks for doing this, you guys are awesome!!
9/13/2010 8:48:03 PM
Susan
Susan
Want to encourage you Lisa and Eric... am reading and studying along with you.. what a blessing and how great hearing from Max every morning. Just to let you know you are helping others "make a difference" in this study... have made a contribution in addition to my book purchase, am committed to making at least one micro loan and to sponsor a Compassion International child... the latter two have been things I've "intended to do" for a long time yet have dragged my feet... Lord, forgive me.... thanking and praising God for your faithfulness and commitment in your ministry which has blessed me greatly...reminding me that I am "...blessed to be a blessing...."
9/15/2010 5:49:41 AM
Pastor George M United States
Pastor George M
Wheres Chapter 5? i Need Chapter 5 please Im a Pastor and need to be fed Completely GOD Bless

OH BTW WOW MOMENT Got MY Wife To Work On An Empty And Ran out of Gas just As i Got To The TOWN I live In and Was Able to get it parked Over 50 yards away Without A Running Engine and in a safe area till i can get gas Please pray I Get Some Gas THanks