Sep 15 2010

Out Live Your Life - Open Your Door; Open Your Heart (Chapter 6)

*Chapters posted will be made available on the Lisa & Eric page for one week.  To purchase Out Live Your Life, click here. All author royalties from the book will go towards building water wells in Uganda

Out Live Your Life by Max Lucado

Chapter 6

Open Your Door; Open Your Heart

They ate together in their homes, happy to share their food with joyful hearts.

—Acts 2:46 (ncv)

Click here, to listen to what Max has to say on this chapter.

Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay. God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.

(1 Peter 4:9–10 nlt)

Heavenly Father, every breath is a gift from your hand. Even so, I confess that sometimes my own hand remains tightly closed when I encounter the needs of others. Please open both my hand and my heart that I might learn to open my door to others. As you help me open my heart and hand, O Lord, I ask that you also prompt me to open my life to those who need a taste of your love and bounty. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Questions for Discussion

1.   Do you know someone who is a great example of hospitality? What makes that person seem hospitable?

2.   How are you currently using your home as a tool in helping others? How could you make your kitchen, your backyard, your living room, or even your dorm room into a place of intentional hospitality?

3.   What keeps you from inviting others into your home? How could you remove those barriers? In what ways do you too often listen to the “Martha Stewart voice” and miss the point of hospitality?

4.   Read each of the following passages about hospitality: Acts 16:15, 34; Acts 21:8; Acts 28:2, 7; Romans 12:13; 1 Timothy 5:10; Titus 1:8; Hebrews 13:2; 1 Peter 4:9–10; and 3 John 1:8. How should we view hospitality in light of these verses?

5.   Name some people you would like to invite into your home soon. Set a time in the next two weeks to open your door to one or more of these people.

Ideas for Action

Start a routine of hospitality in your life so it is always happening. Designate one meal a week as your “hospitality meal,” and always plan to have people over. For example, you could invite friends every week to watch a ball game—an open invitation to enjoy your hospitality and your television. Or prepare a pot of soup every Saturday night. Set up a hospitality station on your front porch or in your driveway, and serve bowls of friendship to your neighbors.

Intentionally include others at your special family events. Invite a single person over for Christmas Eve dinner. Have a family in need join you for Thanksgiving, or take the turkey and have the meal in their home. On Mother’s Day celebrate some of the older women in church who never had children or whose children are far away. Keep an eye on individuals who sit alone or have yet to make friends in your church, and invite them over for a meal (even if you get take-out food on the way home).

“Reprinted by permission.  Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make A Difference by Max Lucado, 2010, copyright date, Thomas Nelson Inc. Nashville, Tennessee.  All rights reserved.”

9/15/2010 6:21:11 AM
Renee United States
Renee
This is the first chapter I have read, but I heard this on the morning radio show and had to check it out.  I am glad I did - perfect timing!

Our home has always been like a beacon shining in the darkness and teenagers (our kids' friends) have always come to our home. I believe the Lord spoke to me and said take care of whoever enters my home and He will provide.  However, it has gotten out of hand. I work outside the home and minister to the youth in my church as well.  I was getting frustrated and wanted to bolt our door shut and call this whole thing off! But the article encouraged me to me to keep serving the lonely.  And Max's message on the radio this morning about setting boundaries helped too.  I think we're going to set aside a day where all are welcomed, rather than any day, all hours.

Thanks for the word!
9/15/2010 6:32:59 AM
Phoebe United States
Phoebe
I just want to say thanks!  I had my Wow God moment on my way to work listening to you two.  I have a small appartment..less than 1000 sq ft.  It is humble at its best.  I love doing bible studies and have done two for my church as a small group leader.  Many ladies have asked me to do one on a Sat. morning, but the church does not have staff until the afternoon!  I was limiting my call of God, to my own comfort with letting people from my church in to my home.  I was embarresed.  I am no longer...my humble nook could be someone elses castle...becasue it is a home where my family and I praise and serve the Mighty God and King Jesus.  Thank you!  and Wow, God.  All in a 20 minute drive to work.  Go Max Luccado!  I ove you guys!
9/15/2010 6:41:39 AM
Andrea United States
Andrea
I have enjoyed following along with the book in the mornings. This is a blessing to me, in fact after this mornings chapter I went and bought the book so I would have my own copy to take notes and make marks.
9/15/2010 8:47:15 AM
Karen Price United States
Karen Price
This is the first chapter I too have read and heard it on the radio this morning. I agree with the previous comment in regards to perfect timing. This is exactly what my pastor (who happens to be my husband) has been talking about with the congregation.
9/15/2010 11:20:02 AM
Aina Akisanya United States
Aina Akisanya
Technology has indeed replaced a lot of ways people show love to one another these days. People desire to be left alone and not be bothered which should not be so. No man is an Island and no man should think he can survive alone.
9/15/2010 11:44:52 AM
Ambreen United States
Ambreen
I know I am writing this message kind of late but there were some good reasons behind it.
I just wanted to congratulate producer KC and his wife on the birth of their daughter.
As you were in the hospital visiting them I was lisetning to KLove on my work as usual and wish had a way to call at that very moment to let you know that I've a daughter whom we named Eliya Joy Wolf born in Aug 2006....what a co-incidence that producer KC and his wife had a baby 6 years later born in the same month and with same first letter of each (First-Middle-Last)name.

God bless
9/15/2010 11:49:25 AM
Ambreen United States
Ambreen
As you were in the hospital visiting them I was lisetning to KLove on my way to work as usual and wish had a way to call at that very moment to let you know that I've a daughter whom we named Eliya Joy Wolf born in Aug 2004....what a co-incidence that producer KC and his wife had a baby 6 years later born in the same month and with same first letter of each (First-Middle-Last)name.

God bless
9/15/2010 12:11:53 PM
gloria United States
gloria
I have been blessed by reading Out LIve Your LIfe.  With the very first chapter my heart has been torn (in a good way).  For the last several years my church family has done mission trips in Honduras and each year I have gone.  However if felt that I am getting older and maybe I should stop going. However when you speak of the lost and the poor in our nation and other nations.  How some don't have clean water - I have seen first hand on what other countries call clean water.  My heart is to live in Honduras and help what I call my family that lives there.  In other countries there is so much work.  When I look at the lost in the United States I now look with different eyes.  For when one is lost in the world it does not matter where they call home is.  I speak to all who want to hear about OUR LORD and now I also speak about this book to all who want to hear and have their spirit stir.  May I ask is this book written in spanish so I may give as a gift to some.
9/15/2010 12:39:37 PM
Corey United States
Corey
Thank-you very much for posting the chapters of Max Luccado's new book.  I am so excited to continue reading it from your site!  However, I would like to say that while I'm already feeling inspired, I am concerned about Max's term for the early church.  All Chirstian have the same history.  That history is from the Catholic Church, not the Jerusalem Church.  Denying that part of our history is like denying the fact that before we were Catholic(a word that means universal) we were Jewish.
I plan to continue to read Outlive your life.  I am looking forward to the wonderful way it will transform my life.

Thanks again and God Bless!
  Corey
9/15/2010 12:52:16 PM
Ashley United States
Ashley
Lisa and Eric mornings are the best for me, I'm a young teenager trying to improve the better christian that i want to be, and y'all have encouraged me so much.Thank You so much for everything Lisa and Eric!