Nov 04 2010

Favorite Food Memories - Scott Hutcheson

Close your eyes and think about one of your favorite food memories. Okay, got it? Tell us about it.

Scott Hutcheson, who writes about food, family, and community, joins us this morning to talk about our favorite food memories.  Scott is also an awesome cook.  Below is the recipe he shared with us this morning.

Mom’s BBQ Meatloaf

1 pound lean ground beef

½ pound ground mild breakfast sausage

1 teaspoon Kosher salt

½ yellow onion, finely chopped

1 cup milk

2 cups crushed corn flakes

3 eggs well beaten

Place ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with hands. Shape into a rectangle shaped loaf (about 10” x” 4 x 2” high) and place on a 9-13 parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with one-half of sauce (see recipe below), and bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes or when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Makes about six servings.

Sauce

2 cups catsup

½ cup water

3 tablespoons white vinegar

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Add all ingredients to a medium nonreactive saucepan and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for ten minutes. Pour half of sauce on loaf prior to baking. Preserve the other half to serve with the meatloaf

Note: I’ve tied this recipe using ground turkey, turkey sausage (usually available in the freezer section), and egg substitutes. It works well and reduces the fat and cholesterol.

For more recipes and stories of food, family, and community go to www.scotthutcheson.com

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (102) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/4/2010 4:24:27 AM
Paula United States
Paula
I lived 3 hours away from my grandparents, so when I would go see them it was usually for a few days to a couple of weeks. I was about 3 years old when I can remember my grandpa telling me to pull a chair up to the stove and he would teach me how to grill a hot dog (It had to be a Kogel Vienna. So he took a fork and had me hold it over the gas stove. I loved them and was completely hooked! So when I went home the following week and my mom woke  up in the morning to standing on a chair grilling a hot dog over the stove she was less than thrilled. Smile My fondest food memory...
11/4/2010 4:33:28 AM
Robyn Prizzi United States
Robyn Prizzi
When I was little we lived in Indiana and we would go mushroom hunting as a family.  We would then go home and soak the mushrooms and wait with anticipation for my mom to cook them up.  There is no other taste like eating those mushrooms. I love the whole thing about them, the hunting for them, the picking them and the eating them. I live in NY now and still dream about the mushrooms from indiana . ( the morelle mushroom )
11/4/2010 4:36:01 AM
Rhonda Allen United States
Rhonda Allen
My favorite food memory, is a little strange but one of my favorites, when i was little my  mom would give us fruit cocktail as a treat, my sister convinced me that all the pieces of fruit were veggies, for instance, the pears...they were potatoes, the peaches were carrots, the little grapes were onions, and the cherries were radishes...so i would request for every meal at dinner  those  veggies, and when she would put them on the table i thought  that the  veggies went bad cause they didnt taste the same...so now i share this story with my kids...we have to have fruit cocktail once in a while so we can have some good tasting Veggies Smile Rhonda From WV
11/4/2010 4:39:14 AM
PAT HINOJOSA United States
PAT HINOJOSA
MY EARLIEST MEMORY WAS AROUND 6 OR 7 YRS OLD COMING IN FROM KINDERGARDEN TO SMELL HOMEMADE BREAD BAKING AND HOMEMADE BEANS KNOWING THAT WE WOULD BE HAVING FRIED BREAD DOUGH FOR A SNACK. EVEN NOW WHEN MOM BAKES BREAD, I KNOW WE WILL BE HAVING FRIED BREAD DOUGH.
11/4/2010 4:44:05 AM
Angie Garcia United Kingdom
Angie Garcia
I'm from Mexico so you could guess what is my food memorie TACOS my mom used to make these huge tacos of beans and eggs; I would take some for lunch at school and mine friends always make fun of my mom tacos I think you can call them now burritos jajaja

I am listening to you guys from England. God Bless
11/4/2010 4:49:50 AM
Kim Gardner United States
Kim Gardner
My Mom use to make homemade noodles.  She would mix the dough and shape it into balls and roll the balls out into large thin sheets that almost looked a round table cloth. The dough had to dry out some, then she would fold several times and start cutting the stacks into noodles. Mostly very fine noodles sometimes they were thicker.She would have her fingers close to the edge of the knife and cut them so fast. After they were cut and cooked they would go into a pot of homemade chicken soup. Hard to say what was more awesome watching Mom make them or eating them!
11/4/2010 4:51:28 AM
Susan United States
Susan
Memories of our large kitchen table, smells of "somethin' cooking" Mom moving quickly to tend to pots on the stove being stirred, me having a job to pour the milk into the 5 glasses for my brother's and I and setting the table.food wise it was mostly meatloaf, meat 'n potatoes, and casseroles...slumgulion (funny haven't thought of that in years ..just checked there is such a thing!) and a family favorite chili over mashed potatoes...also Sunday's at Grandma & Grandpa's usually chicken dinner and big Thanksgiving dinners. Once in a while we'd go out to eat ... when McDonald's hadn't sold very many burgers to have it on their sign.... summer trips going up to my other Grandma's ...she owned a bakery... we'd drive for hours...seemed like forever... when we got to Grandma's it was during the day and we'd run into the bakery to the smell of baking bread and donuts ....my favorite "twists"....and  Grandma would put me up on a big chair so I could "help" ...making my own little pie to put in the oven with the ones she was making and when I got big filling the jelly donuts and putting the powdered sugar on the cake donuts...she had a great little machine that made the cake donuts ...I liked to watch it for a long time... (kinda like at Krispy Kreme) ...funny huh?
11/4/2010 4:51:42 AM
Patty United States
Patty
My grandmother would make cornbread almost every time we went to visit, and I always knew that at bedtime she and I would have a glass of cornbread and milk.  She would crumble up a piece of cornbread and pour buttermilk over hers--I always had regular milk Smile  I still have this "treat" from time to time now, and it never fails to bring thoughts of my grandmother and our bedtime snack together Smile   (My husband thinks it's disgusting, but he makes it for me for dessert sometimes Smile  )
11/4/2010 4:52:51 AM
Tess United States
Tess
I'm from a 3rd world country and grew up with my grandparents.  We were what you would consider a  poor family so food was very simple and just to meet basic needs.  But I will never forget when I was 9 yrs. old - my grandma and her co-workers were treated by their boss to eat out at a burger restaurant.  She decided to eat only half of her burger and sneak into her purse the other half so she could let me taste it also (to-go food was not really done back then, I don't think).  That was my very first time to ever eat a burger and it was delicious!  But what impacted me most and brought me to tears at my young age was how loved I felt that she would think of me even when she could have enjoyed the food all to herself.  It's the sacrificial love of my grandma that stands out whenever I think of that moment.
11/4/2010 4:58:01 AM
Deirdre Dannecker United States
Deirdre Dannecker
My mom made homemade spaghetti sauce that would simmer all day on the stove.  By dinner all our mouths were watering for dinner.  It was the "birthday" dinner of choice in my home.  Mom's sauce as sooooo good that Dinah, my dog, would stand over her bowl of dry dog food refusing to eat until she had spaghetti sauce in her bowl!  LOL!  Good memories.  Thanks!
11/4/2010 4:59:01 AM
Becky United States
Becky
My earliest food memory .... My grandma was my guardian angel from the time I was born until I was about 5 when I met my "Mom" when my dad re-married. Grandma stormed into the dirt track races and snatched me from my parents in the pits who decided to show me off when I was only 2 weeks old, when I needed diaper rash medicine she would come to our house several times a day just to make sure it got done, but my biggest memory is cooked pudding. I am not sure how it started but day or night she would make cooked pudding whenever I asked and it always made me feel better. . . plus a Grandma talk and hug did not hurt either!!! :o)
11/4/2010 5:01:57 AM
Colleen Ducat United States
Colleen Ducat
I am 14yrs old, when I was younger my family and I would go camping almost every weekend and my dad would make his mexican lasania and a berry cobbler of some kind like black berry of peach, and my whole family would love it.
11/4/2010 5:02:39 AM
Deloris United States
Deloris
My mom made fried chicken about three times a week.  She cut up a whole chicken (who does that anymore besides me???) and fried it so perfectly brown and crisp.  We'd finish off the meal with the most wonderful coconut cream pie you've ever tasted.  Oh, what I'd give for another home cooked meal at momma's table.
My husband's favorite was home made hamburgers on Wednesday nights before church.  Wednesdays were grocery buying day because you got double Gun Brother or S&H Green stamps!  They were a large family and that was the only time they got to have a soda, too.  Wow, hamburgers and soda!  Very special memories!!!  Thanks for making us remember!
11/4/2010 5:09:35 AM
Merle United States
Merle
Actually, my favorite food memory _is_ of a sandwich. I was 4 years old, and it must have been a Sunday, because I was dressed up in my best pink dress. I was in the kitchen, and my Mom made me what I think was one of, if not my first bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich. As I stood by the stove while she was making it, it smelled delicious! My Dad came in and told me he wanted to take my picture on the porch. I asked him if I could bring my sandwich, and he said it was OK. So I sat on the porch in my best dress, and enjoyed that yummy sandwich while my Dad took pictures. Many of our family picures have been lost, but that one has survived.
11/4/2010 5:10:17 AM
Carrie United States
Carrie
My earliest memmories of food are the times my parents would make me try new things. Frog legs, (that my dad had caught) Turtle stew, ( remember standing on the snapping turtles shell, to help with the you know what) Both were very good as I recall. I remember the first time My dad made me try raw oysters YUK! I said I loved them and continued to eat them just to make my dad proud.
11/4/2010 5:16:40 AM
Tami United States
Tami
Good morning!
I usually don't have time to participate like this in the mornings, but I'm going to take time today so I can share my wonderful food memory.  For me it's buttermilk waffles on Thursdays for lunch with my Auntie Evelyn, Grandma Barrett, MaryAnn and my Mom.  Background: my Mom raised me by herself due to the death of my Dad.  Grandma Barrett and MaryAnn lived with us to help and Auntie Evelyn came to town once a week to clean houses as income, so that's how the tradition started! Grandma Barrett is gone now and my Mom has Alzheimer's and doesn't remember much of my childhood anymore; but, MaryAnn and I keep the waffle tradition going whenever she is home for a visit.  We also have brought the next generation into the tradition! I had a great childhood and that was a big part of it.

Have a great day~
Tami from Aberdeen, SD
11/4/2010 5:17:55 AM
Lisa United States
Lisa
My mother made the best chocolate pies from scratch when I was growing up. However, she was busy with a special needs child and the pies were time consuming, so she only made them when someone died. Two for the grieving family and one for us. After she had grandchildren, they could call her and get a pie anytime and we would fuss that it wasn't fair because someone had to die for us to get a pie.
11/4/2010 5:18:46 AM
Teri Ditslear United States
Teri Ditslear
One of my favorite meals growing up was mom and grandma's fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy...pure comfort food!

When I got married to my husband John he was a real fanatic about not eating anything fried...no butter and no gravy. He had high cholesterol and had heart bypass a couple years before we had married.

One day John came home after work and saw me busy in the kitchen...chicken frying and potatoes cooking... and me looking somewhat frantic. I explained to him that I had just found out my dad had been diagnosed with prostrate cancer and I needed to DO SOMETHING...I needed comfort and needed it now.

He gladly ate....and we comforted each other!

11/4/2010 5:18:56 AM
Diane United States
Diane
I have 2 memories, the first is when my mom would make fruit toast.  We didn't have it often so when we did we knew it was special. Mom would always use stewed plums and we would have whipped cream on it.  The second is my grandmothers fresh homemade bread (from her own recipe) with homemade raspberry jelly. It would just melt in your mouth.
11/4/2010 5:19:37 AM
Matt United States
Matt
My earliest memory actually relates to food.  I was 2 years old playing in my room (complete with baby gate in my doorway) when my mother asked me if I wanted a cookie.  Of course I said, "Yes!"  She asked, "What do you say?"
I said, "Please!" and she went and got a cookie.
Then she asked, "What do you say?"
I responded (with a mouth full of cookie), "Thank you, Mommy!"
11/4/2010 5:19:48 AM
Dan Clark United States
Dan Clark
My mom grew up in a farming family in the 40/50's and raised us in the burbs 70/80's.  As a teenager our home was a stone's throw from my high school so I often had friends from the baseball team follow me home (the era of bikes, not minivans).

The food item that seared our teenage memories: Mom's meatballs. She would never waste a scrap of food and those meatballs were a divine collection of the remnant of farm animals that had crossed our plates during the week, cooked in a homemade spaghetti sauce with more butter than I care to confess.  She made them in droves, filling a 50 qt pot to the brim with the sauce and meatballs.  Then, they would sit for a few days.  Even cold, they were divine.  My friend Pete and I would rush home after baseball practice, each grab our own fork, and go diving for meatballs in that massive pot; and tho' they weren't bite size, they were!

SO now as a dad of teenagers I have taken to the grill to try and make hamburgers from scratch that captures the essence of my mom's meatballs.  I'm hoping love is the key ingredient, because I'm a bit too health conscious to save the fat and scraps from the week's dishes and hand grind them to make the ground beef go farther.  But man, those were good eats!
11/4/2010 5:20:23 AM
Michelle United States
Michelle
Growing up, Mom made "The" cinnamon roll every Christmas morning.  I remember her preping the dough the night before and waking up to that smell in the morning. It was the same recipe that my Dad's mom, a Grandma I never met, made every year when he was growing up. He would remind us about how she would burn it every year, but they still enjoyed it!

As a dietitian, I love that you are connecting food to memories and recognizing how important our food is to us, beyond the calorie count Smile

Michelle from Lafayette, IN
11/4/2010 5:21:05 AM
Amanda Hayes United States
Amanda Hayes
Every once in a while when I was growing up, my Dad would decide to cook supper.  I remember a large skillet he would put on top of the stove, then he made everyone leave the kitchen.  He called us back for supper a little while later to enjoy "Dad's Goulash"!  He never would tell us what he put in the skillet, just that it was a little of this and a little of that!  We may not have known what he put in there, but it was always delicious, (maybe because Dad cooked it!)
11/4/2010 5:21:16 AM
Cody United States
Cody
As a child my family spent 5 months in Mexico as missionary's, I was 10 and very homesick. Chicken-n-biscuits were my comfort, my mom (not the best cook) made them all the time for me while we were there. Something about them reminded me of "home" in Pennsylvania. I will still make them when I'm feeling homesick. They are now one of my children's favorites.
11/4/2010 5:21:36 AM
Diana United States
Diana
I remember fishing with my dad at age 4.  I caught a huge catfish and didn't know how to "reel" it in and dad was not close enough to help so he yelled to me to start walking backwards till the fish was on the shore.  We went home and had a catfish fry with fries and hushpuppies.  That is the greatest food memory for me.  I love catfish and hushpuppies!!!!!!!!!!!!
11/4/2010 5:21:57 AM
Cassie United States
Cassie
Funny my thought was not of myself as a child but my son. When he was between the ages of 1 and 2 sitting in the grocery cart I would have to keep the broccoli out of his reach or he would try and eat it right in the bag. The cashier would be like do you want to replace this. I would be like no he just loves broccoli.
11/4/2010 5:22:49 AM
Katrina United States
Katrina
My earliest childhood food memory:  My great- grandmother used to fix Cornflakes, cheese chunks and coffee.  The coffee was put in the cereal.  It had a different taste, but, of course, if Great-Granny fixed it, it was good!
11/4/2010 5:26:51 AM
Yvonne Spencer United States
Yvonne Spencer
My earliest food memory is from a very young age, maybe about 4 1/2.  My family at that time lived in Dutch Guyana (Suriname), South America (my father's homeland).  I remember riding in an open vehicle (I assume a Jeep) down a long, dry, dusty red, road with another little girl, my Mom & Dad and some other relative who was driving. We girls held a whole watermelon between us on the seat. At some point the driver, stopped, took the watermelon from us, set it on the front of the vehicle and cut it with a machete. It wasn't cold, but it was wet, and I got sticky watermelon juice all over myself.  I related this memory to my Mom once, and she also recalled that journey, and identified the man driving as my Dad's half brother and the little girl as his daughter.  That watermelon made my day tolerable in the dry heat.
11/4/2010 5:27:31 AM
Heather Konieczka United States
Heather Konieczka
Growing up, we used to visit my grandmother every other weekend.  She owned many many acres of land with lots of wild blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and all sorts of other fruits and vegetables.  She would pick the berries and then keep them in her freezer.  Also, she had a lot of maple trees, and the local maple company tapped her trees.  In exchange, they would keep her refrigerator well stocked with a never ending supply of pure maple syrup.  Whenever we would go to visit, we would make homemade pancakes, so full of the frozen berries they would still be a bit raw in the middle, and drown them in maple syrup.  Yum!
11/4/2010 5:28:47 AM
Amber United States
Amber
My food memory is a funny one but not a fond one.  I remember when I was 4 years old and my mom was out one day.  My Dad was fixing hot dogs for lunch.  He asked me how many I wanted and I said 4.  He continued to ask and I stood firm on 4! He told me if he fixed 4 I was going to eat them all. I stood my ground wanting 4 hotdogs.  Needless to say I vomited for 2 days afterwards!
11/4/2010 5:31:39 AM
Julie United States
Julie
My mom used to bake for competition at the Indiana State Fair and win prizes. Always in July and August our house would smell like cakes, pies, jellies, and vinegar from the pickling she would do. Weird combination, huh!? But to us, that meant we got to be the samplers for her!!! Those smells were yummy!!
11/4/2010 5:31:44 AM
Stevie United States
Stevie
I was lucky enough to have a "stay at home" mom (in the 1970's)until I was a teenager. I have wonderful memmories of my parents planting a garden every spring and mom home canning enough tomatoes and greenbeans to last through the winter. She would make the best Veggie soup, after 25 years, I still can't make it the way she did.
One year we had so many cantaloupes come out of the garden that if your car door was unlocked (most people didn't lock thier doors back then) you would get a couple in your front seat! God gives such wonderful bounties!
11/4/2010 5:33:14 AM
Erin Austin United States
Erin Austin
My favorite food memory when I was a kid was when my mom made Saturday morning family breakfasts. Waking up to the smell of warm cinnamon rolls, eggs, and sausage made everything feel right in the world. As I got older I remember getting up early just help my mom make breakfast. Now I have that tradition with my family.
11/4/2010 5:59:09 AM
Heather United States
Heather
My favorite food memory when I was a kid was every year at vacation bible school my granmother would be in charge of the snacks. She would always make our favorite, oatmeal cookies and blue kool aid. To this day when I see an oatmeal raisin cookie or blue kool aid I think of her and can remember those vacation bible schools. Such a simple food memory but one that has always kept her in my heart. Smile
11/4/2010 6:01:48 AM
Erika United States
Erika
When I was about 5 years old, my mom was going back to school and working nights. My dad worked in the morning, so he got to fix us dinner. My dad isn't the greatest cook, but my favorite memory is the cream corn we would have with every meal! Even now all I have to do is look at my dad and say "cream corn" and he just smiles. I love cream corn to this day. Thanks Dad!
11/4/2010 6:03:48 AM
Lee Peacock United States
Lee Peacock
My favorite food memory was from an Easter Sunday when I was 9 years old. My mom had made this wonderful cake in the shape of a rabbits head (out of 2 round cakes), frosted them and covered them in coconut. She used jelly beans for eyes and rope licorice to make a mouth and whiskers. Then she left a little note as if from the Easter Bunny saying, "I left a picture of myself for you."
I remember that day with great fondness.
11/4/2010 6:04:00 AM
Tonia United States
Tonia
I have probably a little different food memory.  I walked to my grandparents home when leaving school, when growing up.  Each afternoon, my grandpa and I each had a Pepsi and a Little Debbie Zebra Cake.  He's been gone for almost 20 years now, but I still cannot eat Zebra Cakes. It just isn't special without having grandpa to share.  These were times that I'll never forget and I hope those times were as special to grandpa as they were to me.
11/4/2010 6:05:02 AM
Nancy United States
Nancy
Whenever we visited my Grandparents in Oklahoma, my Grandma would make homemade biscuits for breakfast. My Grandpa would always mix together peanut butter, butter and honey and put that on his biscuits. To this day I will do the same whenever I have biscuits and it reminds me of him. We didn't get to see him much and he went to heaven when I was 7.
11/4/2010 6:10:04 AM
Karen Weido United States
Karen Weido
My earliest food memory is also my only memory of my great-grandmother:  I was around three years old and my grandparents had a huge watermelon that was given to them.  It sat in the floor for a while and I sat on it, rolled around on it, played on it, etc.  When they finally got ready to cut it, my grandparents, my aunt, my great-grandmother, and myself were all sitting around the bar.  When my grandpa cut into it, it exploded!  Sour watermelon juice started running everywhere.  My grandmother gave my great-grandmother and myself tea cups to try to catch the juice while everyone else ran around trying to clean it up. It is still so clear, and so funny, to me after all these years!
11/4/2010 6:10:37 AM
Sue United States
Sue
My fondest food memory...I have loved German Chocolate cake all my life. Every Sunday afternoon we would go to my grandmas house to visit and she knew German Chocolate was my favorite. I would walk in her door and there sitting on her kitchen table was a homemade Germam Chocolate Cake....YUM YUM!!Smile
11/4/2010 6:11:58 AM
Leah Price United States
Leah Price
My grandmother passed away the first of October this year.  The biggest memory I have of her had to do with food, but not like one would think. My grandmother could not cook to save her life but she tried to feed every person who came in her door.  Her favorite thing to feed all the grandchildren?  Vienna Sausages.  She would have us all sit at the table give us all our very own can, open a sleeve of saltines, and put a bottle of BBQ sauce in the middle of us.  Gourmet meal for us all. lol  During her funeral I had held it together so well because I was relieved she was with our Jesus now instead of in pain after the massive stroke she had.  To me it was more of a celebration of her life than sad.  But the preacher went on to talk about giving us all vienna sausages, potted meat, and Spam when we were kids and I couldn't hold it together anymore.  She might not have been able to cook but she sure did love us!  I haven't eaten any of that since I was about 12 but I can't pass by that isle in the grocery store without smiling now.
11/4/2010 6:13:46 AM
Donna Franklin United States
Donna Franklin
My favorite food memory was omellettes. Whenever I spent the weekends with my grandparents my grandfather would get up on his day off and fix me one knowing that I loved them. He died when I was 9 and to this day everytime I think about omellettes I think about how much my Pappaw loved me!  I am 40 now and the memory brings tears to my eyes!
11/4/2010 6:14:04 AM
AnnMarie Barkowsky United States
AnnMarie Barkowsky
Everytime my family from out of town came to visit my grandmother would cook all day and make pozole.  A special mexican soup.  The memory of watching my grandmother in the kitchen and being her helper is such a treasured memory.  Now that I have a family of my own, when anyone comes to visit now I start cooking the pozole and my son Drew helps. My family honors my grandmother by telling old stories of how she used to make us feel.  I was probably about 6 when I started to help her in the kitchen.
11/4/2010 6:19:03 AM
Tonya United States
Tonya
I was about 5 years old and went to visit my grandparents with my mom and older brother. It was a hot summer day and I was outside playing with my older "boy" cousins and brother when my grandma brought out the reddest, juiciest watermelon. I love watermelon. She told me the old wise tale about not eating the seeds or watermelon would grow in my belly. I waited until my cousins and brother left the picnic table to go off to play and I ate all my seeds and theirs. I figured if watermelon was growing in my belly I could eat it anytime I wanted to and didn't have to wait until visiting grandma... Needless to say now that I'm a mother of three beautiful girls I don't tell them that myth.
11/4/2010 6:21:22 AM
sharon Gunther United States
sharon Gunther
I have loved food all my life...and as a child I loved to go to friends homes to have different foods and different ways of cooking it....We all know that every families meatloaf is different. Well I was about 8 and I was sitting at the table couldnt wait for the special meal and the mother comes to the table with a cooked lambs head...eyes and all.  Well being raised to be polite I was trying to get the courage to DIG in wwhile the father scooped out an eye ball.  Then the mother came out with a dish of hot dogs...Praise the lord.....I guess from the laughter my face told the story...just plain fear.
11/4/2010 6:22:33 AM
Mark Gaydosh United States
Mark Gaydosh
My favorite food memory is of my mom's oatmeal raisin cookies. The memory is not from my childhood. I was in the US Army Military Police stationed in a remote station in Germany.  I received a letter from the comander of a Security Police air wing at an air base in New Hampshire about my mother.  There had been a crash of an F-15 fighter jet near where my mom lived.  She had seen tv reports of air police standing guard around the crash site. (a huge wilderness area) She realized that if I were stationed nearby I would have been deployed. She had baked 12 dozen cookies and circled the crash site delivering cookies and coffee to her surrogate sons on duty in the cold.
11/4/2010 6:26:03 AM
Thia Hefner United States
Thia Hefner
This is actually a memory provided by my 9 year old son, (he'll be 10 on November 26). My borther had always, even when my son was a baby and had no idea what he was saying, told him that "liquor makes you stupid". Papa (my dad)had taken my son out to run some errands. Preston was probably 2 or 3 at the time. They went to pay my dad's cell phone bill and as it happened, there was an ABC store next door to the cell phone place. As is the norm...my son was asking what everything was so my dad told  him it was a liquor store. Before my dad realized what was going on, my son slipped out of Papa's hand, ran over to the ABC store, pulld the door open and at the top of his little lungs yelled...."LIQUOR MAKES YOU STUPID" then ran back to Papa while a look of sheer accomplishment on his cute little face.
11/4/2010 6:27:25 AM
Jerry Roark United States
Jerry Roark
I spent every summer as a child with my grandparents on their farm.  My grandmother passed away 2 years ago at 97 years old. Fried Apple pies were always a staple at her house. My earliest memory was about age 5 helping her dry the apples on her back porch.  Today, my wife has learned how to recreate that memory for me. She has kicked them up and bakes them. You can find this recipe and many more in the Resource section (Fruit Desserts - The Fruit of the Spirit is...) on her FREE website www.sweeptheword.com.
The Baked Fried Apple Pies are similar to McDonald's Apple Pies but with homemade flacky pie crust and filling.  Great Picture on website.
11/4/2010 6:43:56 AM
beverly ward United States
beverly ward
I grew up in a small towwn in ohio.and spent many wonderful hours learning how to make  pie with my mother. what joy when my son was asked what was his favorite  christmas he answered walking into grandma's house and smelling the pie.
11/4/2010 7:08:33 AM
Robin United States
Robin
My first warm memory of food, I was 5 and my brother was 6.  As my Mother would leave for work she would send us across the street to our great-grandmothers house.  We would have hot coffee, cream and sugar poured into a saucer along with warm, homemade, buttery biscuits and jelly.  She would then join us, in her wheel chair, on our one block journey to school.  She passed away later that year.  I know she was a wonderful Godly woman.  She raised my loving, selfless, mom who lives up to her name with a servant heart, Martha.
11/4/2010 7:13:04 AM
Anna United States
Anna
My earliest food memory is my Aunt Elizabeth making me a peanut butter sandwich. When I was little, my mom, dad, sister and I lived with my aunt, her two kids and my grandparents! A full house with lots of love. While everyone else worked, my aunt stayed home with us and she used to make us peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. She used to sing "Peanut butter and banana, for my little Anna." Smile
11/4/2010 7:16:07 AM
Shari United States
Shari
I remember coming home from elementary school and eating an after-school snack which was a slice of bologna with mayo.  I would cut the slice up into tiny little squares and eat each one individually with a small pickle fork my Mom gave me.  I thought I was a Princess getting to eat with that special fork.
11/4/2010 7:19:13 AM
Kathy Green Blackshear United States
Kathy Green Blackshear
My family has many family traditions with many foods that bring back happy memories (and still do), but one of the funniest memories I have is eating dirt.  My parents were both teachers and my dad was a band director and the band sold candy bars as fundraisers.  My parents would buy a box or two and put them in the freezer to make them last.  Sometimes after dinner we would have ice cream and my dad would ask us "who wants dirt on their ice cream?"  He would take the frozen candy bar and grate if over the ice cream so it looked like a sprinkling of dirt.  It was really funny when our friends would spend the night and dad would ask the same question and we'd look at our friends and tell them, "yes, you want dirt...a lot of it!"  My children like dirt on their ice cream too.  Smile
11/4/2010 7:19:16 AM
Heather dela Cruz United States
Heather dela Cruz
I think my best food memory (idk about earliest!) is that of those pillsbury cinnamon rolls you get in a can, bake and ice after they are finished.  My family always has them on Christmas day for breakfast. Any time I see, smell or taste one, I am immediately taken back to our kitchen table, sitting in my pajamas as a kid with my little sister and parents eating those cinnamon rolls, anticipating presents and family all day long.
11/4/2010 7:19:37 AM
Rick United States
Rick
Best food is my Mom's sour cream cake. She makes it for me every birthday, at Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. My grandmother shared the love of this cake as well. She used to pull off the pecans on top to eat by themselves - and we would "slap" her hands if we caught her. Everytime we have the cake it brings up memories and stories about grandma. The cake is so good I don't care to share it - but usually do because Mom is good enough to usually make two, one for the family event, one to take home Smile
11/4/2010 7:20:12 AM
Rick United States
Rick
11/4/2010 7:20:37 AM
Kathy Stewart United States
Kathy Stewart
We lived with my Grandmother until I was 9. She was a great cook and I can remember her divinity and fudge at Holidays but my favorite meal was her fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and biscuits. Within a few months after my Mom re-married, we moved to OK. On the way my Mom crashed and it was a terrible accident. I ended up in the hosp. for 6 weeks in traction due to broken leg and another 6 weeks in a body cast. One night im particular I was sad and lonely and had not eaten much because the food was terrible. My Grandmother had come to OK to help us out and that night she had cooked her fried chicken, mashed pot.and corn and brought it to me. Was it ever good. I never forgot that.
11/4/2010 7:21:02 AM
Kathy Stewart United States
Kathy Stewart
11/4/2010 7:22:02 AM
Kathy United States
Kathy
11/4/2010 7:22:15 AM
Kathy Green Blackshear United States
Kathy Green Blackshear
One of the funniest memories I have is eating "dirt".  My parents were both teachers and dad was a band director.  The band sold candy bars as fundraisers and my parents would buy a box or two and put them in the freezer to make them last.  Sometimes after dinner we would have ice cream and my dad would ask us "who wants dirt on their ice cream?"  He would take the frozen candy bar and grate it over the ice cream so it looked like a sprinkling of dirt.  It was really funny when our friends would spend the night and dad would ask the same question.  We'd look at our friends and tell them, "yes, you want dirt...a lot of it!"  My children like dirt on their ice cream too.  Smile
11/4/2010 7:22:32 AM
Natalie Swanson United States
Natalie Swanson
My Mom loved to bake.  She often baked rhubard pies from the plants in the backyard. The best part of the rhubard pie was that she allowed us to roll out the extra dough and bake cinnamon sticks. We loaded them up with cinnamon, sugar and butter. The five of kids us were in heaven. I can remember watching them bake and finally getting to eat them!
11/4/2010 7:23:10 AM
Kathy United States
Kathy
We lived with my Grandmother until I was 9. She was a great cook and I can remember her divinity and fudge at Holidays but my favorite meal was her fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and biscuits. Within a few months after my Mom re-married, we moved to OK. On the way my Mom crashed and it was a terrible accident. I ended up in the hosp. for 6 weeks in traction due to broken leg and another 6 weeks in a body cast. One night in particular I was sad and lonely and had not eaten much because the food was terrible. My Grandmother had come to OK to help us out and that night she had cooked her fried chicken, mashed pot.and corn and brought it to me. Was it ever good. I never forgot that.
11/4/2010 7:23:33 AM
Natalie Swanson United States
Natalie Swanson
11/4/2010 7:24:16 AM
Kathy Green Blackshear United States
Kathy Green Blackshear
One of the funniest memories I have is eating "dirt".  My dad was a band director and the band sold candy bars as fundraisers.  My parents would buy a box or two and put them in the freezer to make them last.  Sometimes we would have ice cream and my dad would ask us "who wants dirt on their ice cream?"  He would take the frozen candy bar and grate it over the ice cream so it looked like a sprinkling of dirt.  It was really funny when our friends would spend the night and dad would ask the same question.  We'd look at our friends and tell them, "yes, you want dirt...a lot of it!"  My children like dirt on their ice cream too.  Smile
11/4/2010 7:27:00 AM
Kathy Green Blackshear United States
Kathy Green Blackshear
One of the funniest memories I have is eating
11/4/2010 7:29:12 AM
Kathy Green Blackshear United States
Kathy Green Blackshear
One of the funniest memories I have is eating
11/4/2010 7:30:57 AM
natalie swanson United States
natalie swanson
11/4/2010 7:36:14 AM
Angie Lemke United States
Angie Lemke
We were POOR when I grew up.  My dad worked all the time and my mom had made a commitment to be home with us 5 kids.  She always did a great job helping make ends meet and making yummy food from next to nothing.  My earliest memory is watching her making a pasta dish from a box of hamburger helper.  She would always use it as a base for the meal add things (like extra pasta) to make it stretch and taste the way she wanted.  I remember it always was so good and we always had enough.  I can't make that box stretch or taste as good as she used to be able to do...and I don't think I ever will be able to do it, but it was a great memory and testimony to her thriftiness and ability to fill up her 4 boys and I (her only daughter) with yummy food.  Love you mom, and can't wait to see you again someday in heaven!
11/4/2010 7:37:25 AM
Felicia United States
Felicia
I will always remember my mom's ham/beans and cornbread. And believe me you did not want to light a match in our house,not after 7 of us in the household got done eating. I love eating at my parents house on the holidays just to get a little of her home cooking I grew up with.
11/4/2010 7:43:21 AM
April United States
April
My earliest childhood memory is of Saturday morning pancakes.  I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my dad.  He was always working, and when he was home, he was sleeping.  But every Saturday morning, I would awake to the smell of pancakes cooking and to Mom & Dad talking.  I'd go sit at the breakfast table in my PJs, and Daddy would flop a hot-off-the-griddle big-as-my-plate pancake in front of me.  I'd douse it with syrup (I like a little pancake with my syrup), and oooh what yumminess!  I can practically taste it now!  I am now 27 years old, but when I go stay with my parents, I still insist on Saturday morning pancakes.  They simply mean home to me.
11/4/2010 7:45:08 AM
Christina White United States
Christina White
My Mama was always the greatest cook to me and she taught me so much.  I remember being in the kitchen with her at a young age just watching and learning as much as I could.  She made the best fried pork chops and to this day I still can not make them taste as good as she did.  I mean I must admit mine are pretty awesome but they just don't have my "Mama's touch".  She recently passed away at the age of 50 and I miss her more than anything but I know she's up in heaven right now with my Daddy and our heavenly Father frying them up the best pork chops!!
11/4/2010 7:50:27 AM
Margo United States
Margo
My mom was a single mom of 3 girls and she would always make time about 3 to 4 times a year to make her famous cinnamon rolls and popcorn balls. The smell in the house was so good and her cinnamon rolls were mouth watering.  She would let me and my middle sister help her make them.  I will always remember these times with my mother.  She worked all of time to make a living for us, so those times were precious.
11/4/2010 7:53:23 AM
Deb day United States
Deb day
The earlist memory for me was probably about 2yrs. of age my Grandma Faye would bake me a birthday cake every Thanksgiving because my dad and I were both born on Thanksgiving so we would celebrate it all on that day . She made me a doll cake with a doll in the middle and her skirt was a cake. Every year it would be a different theme,cake shaped like a present with somthing hidden in side, money tree, ,at age 5 when I started 1st. grade she made me a school bus cake cause my grandpa drove a school bus I can name them all up to about 10, then it grew old. But it sure was fun to see what I would get for a cake every thanksgiving!!! Thank you JESUS GOD BLESS MEMORIES
11/4/2010 7:56:54 AM
Wendy United States
Wendy
My favorite food memory is the smell and taste of my moms gravy and toast.  Only recently i discovered she made it when money was tight, but i absolutely love it!  Its a great comfort taste and smell from my childhood.  i still love eating it!
11/4/2010 7:59:08 AM
Melinda Hollis United States
Melinda Hollis
This is not my earliest food memory, but it is by far the best.  Last year, we decided to have a Passover feast in order to teach our children why Easter is so important to us as Christians.  I spent hours pouring over texts and recipes and trying to figure out the best way for a Christian to celebrate a Jewish holiday.  We talked about each part of the feast and it's importance and had scriptures to back up each part.  Then we got to the Passover Lamb, and we were talking about the sacrifice, and how Jesus was our sacrifice.  I will NEVER forget how my 11 year old daughter responded.  She got this look in her eye and said, "OH!  That's why we call Jesus the Lamb of God!"  It was amazing to see it all connect for her, and I am very thankful for that moment.

Hugs,
Melinda
11/4/2010 8:09:20 AM
Scott Hutcheson United States
Scott Hutcheson
I loved hearing everyone's stories. Thanks for sharing!

Scott
11/4/2010 8:15:38 AM
Naomi United States
Naomi
My earliest food memory was when i was a baby my mom fed me spinach. One day she put spinach in front of me and i smashed my face into it and was green the rest of the day! Also while i was doing that my clothes , hair and highchair were turned dark green everything except my hair stayed green and still is green!
11/4/2010 8:16:35 AM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
I grew up in a hispanic family so there was always the smell of food cooking, as hispanics love to eat!  My earliest and favorite memory is when I was between the ages of 5-7.  My grandmother would make tortillas from scratch. I would help her make the dough and roll it out. We would shape it and place it on the camal to cook.  My tortillas always seem to look like texas or oklahoma, but grandma's were always so perfectly round.  I would pout and she would always say "Mia, patience. Practice and patience and you will get it, mia."  How I miss that woman.  Thanks for the journey down memory!

Jennifer
(Hanford, CA)
11/4/2010 8:20:13 AM
Lisa Hutcheson United States
Lisa Hutcheson
I grew up without a TV for a lot of my childhood so we would have "family game night" on Friday nights and my mom would make a huge pan of popcorn on the stove with 2 sticks of melted butter and lots of salt and we would have soda, which we didnt get to drink that often...I still am a popcorn fanatic to this day and prefer to make mine on the stove!  Of course living with Scott Hutcheson makes every meal something to remember Smile
11/4/2010 8:26:05 AM
Debbie Adams United States
Debbie Adams
When I was young my mother made homemade biscuits for breakfast or any meal.  If I close my eyes I can see the cozy kitchen and waiting for my biscuit because I didn't like mine brown on top.  she would always keep and eye on them and when they started to brown she would take me out 2 biscuits.  Don't know why I remember that but I do.  They were so light and good. YUMMY!
11/4/2010 8:33:37 AM
Rose United States
Rose
My very first food memory is actually a sad one. I was three years old and we were having peas for dinner (maybe that's all I had left on my plate). My dad got a call and he ran out the door. His dad had fallen on the stairs in his home and had died. My dad passed away 2 years ago and this is the first time I have thought about that memory since he passed.
11/4/2010 8:37:28 AM
Holly United States
Holly
When I was growing up one of the best parts of Christmas was smelling my Mom making Pilsbury Orange Rolls. We had them every year w/ our breakfast. I loved helping my Mom put the icing on them. Now I make them for my Son and he loves them as much as I do.  Smile YUM!
11/4/2010 8:40:13 AM
Lisa Ross United States
Lisa Ross
When I was little we would have pancakes on Saturday mornings. Before cleaning the griddle my mom would save the very small pancake droplets that are created when you are moving the spoon from one pancake to another.  These were for my barbies so they could have pancakes too!  Best mom ever, now with the Lord.
11/4/2010 8:45:04 AM
Krista Westmoreland United States
Krista Westmoreland
My best food memory is actually when i was a toddler. My parents and grandparents always have to share with anyone who would listen about how much i loved food as a kid. At every meal I would look the table over and if i didnt have something on my plate that was on the table i would point and cry for it. My favorites were pickled okra and onions! Everytime i eat either of these foods it just makes me laughSmile
11/4/2010 8:46:06 AM
elissa cary United States
elissa cary
When I was little, my younger sister Michelle, who must've been about 18 months at the time, decided to cook an egg...she pushed a chair up to the stove, turned it on, and put an egg in a frying pan on the burner...without cracking the egg! no one was hurt and now, she's an amazing cook  =)
11/4/2010 9:16:02 AM
Lisa Allen United States
Lisa Allen
My earliest memory of food is of my grandmother's chicken and dumplings.  She would mix the dough in this huge bowl and then roll it out nice and thin.  She would then cook them in chicken broth and pieces of chicken.  She would also include mash potatos, green beans, and biscuits.  My mom can make them just like her.  To this day, it is the most requested meal for special occasions in our family.  None of us girls have been able to re-create this favorite.  It saddens me to think that one day we might not be able to enjoy chicken and dumplings the way granny and mom made them.
11/4/2010 9:26:09 AM
Charmell Carr United States
Charmell Carr
When I was about 7 my mom and dad split. I remember my mom working a lot but for breakfast and dinner, every day, mom and I had baby food and oranges. This was my earliest memory of food. We may not have had much but I never went to bed hungry. I love my mom for what she taught me through those times.
11/4/2010 9:43:23 AM
Desiree Duran United States
Desiree Duran
My 1st memories of food was because of my lack of-- I was poor plus allergic to all foods. I ate white rice and hamburger meat each day, every meal accompanied by shots and skin cremes. God healed me when I was 5 1/2 right before I started elementary which alleviated my moms concerns about allergic reactions to school lunch. I am a week away from 26 and about a year ago had a friend share a recipe for turkey tacos.. I told my mother about how awesome they were and wondered how I hadnt heard of ground turkey sooner.. She replied, "Dez, that was ground turkey we ate when you were little. That"s probably why you enjoyed it so much!" God finds ways to remind me and it blesses me all over again!!
11/4/2010 10:19:29 AM
Jenna Jole United States
Jenna Jole
My first memory of food was a little bit more scary than what I hoped for. I was 5 years old at a swim meet getting ready to swim in an event. Like most kids, I loved sugar right before I competed to hype me up. I grabbed what they use to call "string things" (they don't make them anymore) and shoveled the whole thing into my mouth. I began choking on it realizing it is lodged in my throat. I started panicking and bent over towards the ground. Luckily, my mother was close by and came up behind me to do the Heimlich Maneuver on me. I will never forget that day. I definitely learned my lesson!
11/4/2010 10:38:06 AM
jan smiley United States
jan smiley
My daddy always made his famous "potatoe candy". WIt was a special treat, only made on Thanksgiving and Christmas. We are aproaching our 7th Thanksgiving and Christmas without daddy and we have not had the candy since. I decided though,this tradition should continue and so I am going to try to pick up where daddy left off and become the potatoe candy maker for my children and eventually theirs some day.God bless you all for the work you do, you are a blessing to all of us Smile

1/2 (or 1 small) boiled potato
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
About 2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
Mash potato, add butter, vanilla and enough powdered sugar to make a slightly stiff dough.
Roll out dough (on a surface dusted with powdered sugar) and spread on the peanut butter.
Roll dough up (as for jelly roll) to make a log.
Cut into pieces, let air dry for about an hour. Store in air tight container.
Makes about 2 dozen confections.
11/4/2010 10:45:12 AM
Jess English United States
Jess English
I have two fond memories as an child of food.
The first is of a time I stayed indoors with my grandmother as she was warming the oven on her farm to make shortbread cookies.  I watched as she blended the dough and powdered the counter with flour to roll out the cookies.  More than eating them, I remember that once she had an even dough, she pulled down another rollong pin that pressed the dough into different shapes and cut them.  I was amazed at the interesting details of each cookie.
The second is of my grandfather taking me out to the milking shed and placing a handkerchief over a clean bucket, milking the cow, then pouring me a glass of thick, warm and buttery drink.
I wasn't so fond of the butteriness of the drink, but just like my grandmothers cookies, the memory was how thoughtful each was being to me at that moment.  To make that moment special, and all the trouble that they were going through for me.  That was amazing.
11/4/2010 11:07:23 AM
Julia United States
Julia
My very first food memory is beff and barley stew from a baby food jar! Funny huh
11/4/2010 11:11:33 AM
samantha brewer United States
samantha brewer
hey whats up? I'm 13 now. And I have my own facebook page! Also, my food memories as a preteen is me and my mom making pizza whats my favorite? My favorite is pineapple and canadaian bacon.
11/4/2010 12:01:08 PM
Heather dela Cruz United States
Heather dela Cruz
One of my fondest "food" memories is the smell and taste of those pillsbury cinnamon rolls that you buy in a can and spread icing on after they're baked.  My family has ALWAYS shared those on Christmas morning. Even as a married adult, my husband and I always make a way to be with my parents, if even for a little while, to share breakfast.  It reminds me of being a carefree kid in my pajamas, smiling and laughing with my little sister, looking forward to the Christmas activites of the day.  Great memories.
11/4/2010 12:14:31 PM
Roxanne Gomez United States
Roxanne Gomez
The food I remember is my mom's homemade tortillas. I can wake up, come home from school or even now just smell the aroma of them. I always watched her make them and wait for the right moment to dig at the bottom of the pile to get the right size and hotness. I live with her now for the mean time and when she makes them I right there next to her watching and smelling them
11/4/2010 1:16:10 PM
Julie Hartland United States
Julie Hartland
Oh my goodness is it hard to recall just one specific food BUT...honestly the first thing that comes to mind is the superb way Granny made cream of wheat with lumps!  yes, i loved the lumps and it made her day that i did!  She made everything from scratch so there is nothing like Granny B's cooking but all in all it's the cream of wheat that sticks in my mind!  now our kids love the lumps too!

BTW-we are going for the BBQ meatloaf on your website,yum!... subbing a few items to keep from running to the store AGAIN!  so, it's going to have to be BBQ meatloaf minus the sausage this time, Mrs.Cubbins seasoned bread crumbs in place of corn flakes, red onion since we don't have yellow, and ground turkey instead of ground beef!

hope it's close to "Mom's"
11/4/2010 3:27:34 PM
Heather Smiley United States
Heather Smiley
Growing up we were pretty poor. My Mom would invent things to make out of whatever we had in the kitchen. I remember she used to make "hot-dog pizza" out of bisquick, pizza sauce, hot-dogs, and chees. Although she could barley feed us, she would feed the neighborhood kids as well. The funny thing is that to this day. If a neighborhood kid runs into my Mom now, they remember her as the "lady that made the "hot-dog" pizza!
11/5/2010 6:15:44 AM
Debby United States
Debby
When I was about four we went to my great aunt's house and I so remember a three-teir chrystal display dish that my g-aunt had loaded with chocolate fudge and yes, divinity! That divinity was loaded with nuts and was so creamy that every holiday I still think about how good it was! Though I have tried through the years to duplicate it, it is not the same!! Oh what I wouldn't give for another chunk of that yummy divinity!
11/5/2010 2:00:51 PM
Jeanne United States
Jeanne
This isn't food related, but related to Scott's comments this morning. Is the interview transcript available? He said some really good stuff about loving God and loving His bride. Would be nice to share a link with friends on FB to see the comments.
Thanks!
11/5/2010 3:50:20 PM
Hope United States
Hope
mmm. Smile im getting hungry!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
11/7/2010 6:26:52 PM
sterling rose woodruff ;) United States
sterling rose woodruff ;)
hey you most likely wont get to this comment but my mom is having a hard time we had a pipe crack and water went every were if you could give her an encouraging word thanks love you for every thing!!!!!oh she leaves for work around 6:30 and my name is sterling and im 14
11/10/2010 9:28:04 AM
Sharon United States
Sharon
I wanted to share one of my earliest food memories.  The memory is precious to me not just because of the food, but because of the moment.  I can remember being about three or four years old and there was a huge snow storm in Colorado at the time.  It was Christmas Eve and we made sugar cookies for ornaments to put on our Christmas tree.  We also took gum drops and popcorn to make garland for the tree.  I remember the next morning we woke up and our cat Issaac had eaten the cookies off the tree.  Even though my family did not have much, we had love and a cat to make us laugh.  It certainly will be a memory that we will always remember.