Nov 14 2010

A Yummy AND/OR Healthy Thanksgiving

Lisa is looking for wonderfully delicious things to eat this Thanksgiving that are also healthy for you and your family.

Eric says he's not going to read any of these recipes, but if you're going to share, he says share the yummiest - with the story of how you got the recipe.

Share your recipes here!  Healthy.  Yummy.  Or maybe, the two combined!!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (46) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

11/14/2010 2:28:55 PM
Emily Phillips United States
Emily Phillips
For thanksgiving, my family is having a traditional holiday with some modifications. My mom is making a sugar free apple pie.  We are using stick margarine that only has cream and salt instead of the highly processed stick margarine.  We will have a lot of homemade items like sweet potatoes and macaroni and cheese. This is our second Thanksgiving with these modifications.  The reason is I have Adrenal Fatigue where my sugar will get dangerously low if I do not stay on a very rigid diet of very little sugar and processed foods.  I eat between three and five times a day to stay at a steady level with my sugar.  I have also found dlife.come to be a great resource for me and my family to find recipes that are low in sugar for people like me or people who have diabetes.  I hope this helps you guys out on your show this week.
11/14/2010 3:22:10 PM
Marla Jacoby United States
Marla Jacoby
A German Family Tradition - Frozen Fruit Salad
_______________________________________________

1 can of each

Peaches
Pears
Mandarin Oranges
Pinapple

Cut above into small bite size pieces

1/2 jar Marachino Cherries sliced thinly

Plus

2 - Whole Bananas sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick slices

2 Apples *(I like Pacific Rose Apples but any will work) in bite size pieces

1/2 package Mini Marshmellows

1/2 package Coconut (Optional)

Mix above in a large bowl.

Add 1 qt. Whipping Cream (Whipped - add some Marachino Cherry juice and a couple dots of red food color until light pink in color)

By hand - stir in Powdered Sugar to taste

Then

Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons Mayonaise or Miracle Whip (This keeps the salad from crystalizing and the texture smooth and creamy and is hardly noticed in the taste).

Place all in 1 or 2 - 9"x 13" glass pan(s) and place in freezer overnight... get out 1 hour before serving, let stand at room temp until it can be sliced like a cake into serving size pieces.

This is a "Dessert" like fruit salad and is obviously a large recipie so put extras back in the freezer after Thanksgiving and get back out for Christmas.
11/15/2010 2:57:28 AM
CathyCollinson United States
CathyCollinson
     I don't mean to be a downer, but our Thanksgiving plans have been sidetracked by a very sad occurence.
     Saturday my nieces' 30 yr old husband died of a drug overdose. Now, instead of preparing favorite family dishes, we are preparing for a funeral. Instead of explaining to their 4 yr old why we celebrate Thanksgiving, we're trying to find the words to explain to him why his daddy can't come down from heaven to play ball with him, because he promised him they would on Saturday.
     Please pray for Catherine and Eli (Elijah) O'Bar in Fort Smith, Ar.
11/15/2010 6:01:52 AM
Angie United States
Angie
A good way to flavor ur green beans or potatoes is use low sodium ckn it has a great taste
11/15/2010 6:03:24 AM
Angela Prince United States
Angela Prince
We have lots of Diabetics in the family.  I cook chunks of sweet potaoes inchicken broth and garlic, it's soo good.
Also eat a healthy breakfast so you are not starving and eat everything in sight at lunch.
11/15/2010 6:08:06 AM
Angela Cavaletto United States
Angela Cavaletto
Hi Lisa! I am in the same boat when it comes to weight and eating except I have a lot more to lose. Anyways... I wanted to share with you what has been working for me. I cut out all processed and refined sugars. I do eat pure, organic maple syrup, pure, organic agave necter, pure, raw, organic honey, and pure, organic evaporated cane juice ( which is crystallized sugar). More fresh fruits and veggies, frozen works good too, I try and stay away from canned. I also have been eating whole grains. Whole wheat pastas, rice, as for bread I eat a sprouted grain bread called Ezekiel bread - it is really good, but expensive. I also eat organic yogurt which is sweetend with the above sweeteners with some fruit. Basically I cut out all processed foods with additives and preservatives ( which is hard)and refined sugar and flour. I have lost weight even eating the "pure sugars" listed above. I am not sure how much because I do not have a scale and as silly as this sounds I measure my weightloss by the distance from the steering wheel to my stomach.( my stomach usually touches the wheel, so when it doesnt I know Ive lost weight!!)
11/15/2010 6:08:16 AM
christy United States
christy
Hi Lisa and Eric!

I just taught a healthy holiday cooking class this past Saturday.

My husband has had epilepsy for 20 years and since we've been seeing a naturapath doctor, he is now off his meds and is significantly improving Smile God has opened our eyes to natural healing through diet and nutrition—healthy eating was 1/2 my husbands battle, nutrition the other half.

My husbands story has inspired me to help others live a healthy life, especially around the holidays, where it's so, so hard to eat healthy.

At my class I handed out two flyers, which you can download at cnhc.typepad.com (my healthy blog) in the most recent post's tip of the day. One handout is 10 healthy, homemade recipes for all the  goodies we love, without all the horrible preservatives and sugar. The second handout is an ingredients list with all the awful ingredients in typical processed holiday foods—a real eye opener for me as 50% or more of the ingredients in these foods are so bad for us.

I'd love nothing more than for all to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving not feeling tired and run down from all the processed foods Smile

Love you guys!!!
11/15/2010 6:08:18 AM
Barbara Menn United States
Barbara Menn
We have several diabetics in our family so we try to make things as sugar free as possible. I will be making No Bake Cherry Cake, a recipe from a diabetic magazine. 1 (10") angelfood cake  1 small package sugar free vanilla pudding, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 cup light sour cream, 1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling.   Cut cake into bite size pieces and press into 11'x17" pan.  Combine pudding mix, sour cream and milk, beat 2 minutes or untl thick. Pour over cake.  Spoon cherry pie filling evenly over top of cake. Chill This serves 12.
11/15/2010 6:11:04 AM
Kim United States
Kim
Lisa,

I heard you talk about "nutrient dense foods." There's a website I really like called the World's Healthiest Foods. They list all of the most nutrient dense foods, how they promote health, and then give recipes for them as well.
www.whfoods.org

I'm restricted from yeast and sugar, so I do things like make a sugar free apple pie. The apples are pretty sweet on their own already. Of course the crust is still crisco & butter, but you could make a nut crust instead.

Then things like fresh vegetables are awesome to have at thanksgiving. Winter squash is so delicious. You don't need to make it with lots of brown sugar and butter. Just cut in half, scoop out the middle, grease a pan, and cook cut-side down at 375 for 30-40min until you can poke it with a fork. Eat as is, or scoop it out and mash it with cinnamon & nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice. Add a dash of OJ or water if you want it thinner, and maybe a small drizzle of honey or maple syrup if it needs a little sugar. Yummy! Cinnamon makes things taste sweet.
11/15/2010 6:17:46 AM
Tracy Cummins United States
Tracy Cummins
Prayers for the cathy and her family!!!!

Lisa do u avoid high fructose corn syrup?
I have multiple aut-immune diseases and i avoid all white processed foods (sugar, flour, rice, salt) plus high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweetners. And PRAISE GOD...i feel so much better!
I have a thanksgiving recipe that i think is delicious! It is for pumpkin pie. I eat it without tge crust but you can make a whole wheat crust if you want one. The pumpkin filling is the same as on the recipe on the can only u substitute 1/2 c honey for the 3/4 c of sugar.
11/15/2010 6:19:52 AM
Laura Dean United States
Laura Dean
Hi Lisa,

I am a Registered Dietitan in Indianapolis, IN.  A few years ago I was interveiwed by the Indianapolis Star about healhty Thanksgiving ideas, below is the article with some tips and ideas.  I could probabably talk about this all day, I love helping people learn to eat better!  My best words of advise are balance, do enjoy the foods you've always loved, but eat less of them, and enjoy a family walk after your Thanksgiving meal intstead of eating all daySmile.  God bless  you!

Laura

Indianapolis Star
November 20, 2007

Turkey day without stuffing
Whether you cook or just eat on Thanksgiving, you can avoid weight gain
By Shari Rudavsky
shari.rudavsky@indystar.com
November 20, 2007

Before you dig into Thanksgiving dinner, know this: The average holiday meal has between 2,000 and 3,000 calories -- about as much as the typical man should eat the entire day.
But Thanksgiving does not have to be a dietary disaster.
Even before the meal, you can take steps to make the holiday a healthier one, says Laura Dean, a registered dietitian with Clarian Health:
• Don't skip breakfast or lunch, saving yourself for the main meal. That makes you more likely to overeat.
• Instead of sitting in the house all day, go for a walk or do another physical activity.
• And before you leave, put food away to keep it fresh. Leaving it out on the counter invites all-day nibbling.
When it comes to the meal, you simply tweak the menu to make the meal a healthier one, if not lean cuisine.
These changes do not have to come at the expense of taste.
After all, says Purdue University's Carl Behnke, the stakes are pretty high for this meal.
"So when I try to find a healthy substitution, it needs to be good in and of itself or people aren't going to eat it," says Behnke, chef instructor in Purdue's hospitality and tourism management department. "They'll try it one time and then say, 'I want to go back to Mom's.' "
The bird and trimmings

No matter how you prepare the bird, don't overdo it. One serving of turkey should be about 4 ounces, Dean says.
Go with a plain turkey instead of a self-basting bird, says Christina Ferroli, a registered dietitian at Purdue Extension-Marion County.
Instead of basting with butter, use low-salt chicken broth and fresh herbs, Dean says.
Or rub the turkey down with olive oil and those herbs, offers Eric Day, executive chef at Thomas Caterers of Distinction.
When you're roasting the bird, leave the skin on for moister meat, Ferroli says. But don't eat the fatty skin.
To slim down gravy, freeze the juices of the turkey and skim off the top, which will have most of the fat, Ferroli says. Microwave the remainder, which will be mostly broth-based. You can add more broth or herbs to taste.
Stuffing also offers opportunities to tailor to taste, from the type of bread you use -- and for health reasons, make it whole-grain -- to what you add.
Ferroli recommends jazzing up plain bread crumbs with sautéed mushrooms, garlic, onions and celery. For more flavor, add some reduced sodium broth or apples, cooked rice, dried fruit or water chestnuts.
If you want to keep sugar intake low, make your own cranberry relish with Splenda instead of the white stuff, says personal chef Kristin Richie, of Fishers-based Thyme Savor.
Ferroli sweetens her sauce with a little real sugar along with chopped apples and orange juice.
The sides

There are many ways to doctor the traditional Thanksgiving side dishes.
Slim down green-bean casserole by using low-sodium cream of mushroom soup and substituting homemade sautéed onions with olive oil for those fried onions, says personal chef Richie says.
Or, suggests Ferroli, omit the soup, instead boiling green beans and potatoes, cutting them and tossing them with some fat-free half-and-half. Add salt and pepper and top with shaved almonds.
For a more drastic approach, forgo the familiar dish altogether. Instead serve green beans with almonds or roasted root vegetables, such as rutabagas, carrots, beets and/or butternut squash.
Depending on the household, the potatoes may be sweet or mashed or both.
With mashed potatoes, the first step is giving up the cream, whole milk and butter. You can simply go with margarine and skim milk.
Chef Eric Day prefers adding in some of the liquid in which the potatoes were boiled and mashing with low- or no-fat sour cream.
"That gives it the richness and flavor without the extra fat," he says.
Ferroli takes a different approach -- garlic powder and Parmesan cheese.
Behnke fears these trims sacrifice taste, so he suggests starting anew by mashing red potatoes with roasted garlic, parsley, cream cheese and chicken broth.
"This makes a delicious mashed potato, but no one will compare it to Mom's because it's so different, so it's not going to suffer from comparison," he says.
Richie omits potatoes altogether. She steams cauliflower, dries it, then mashes it with a little skim milk, margarine, salt and pepper. The result really does taste like mashed potatoes, she insists.
Sweet potatoes -- of the candied and marshmallowed variety -- can also clean up their act. Instead of adding butter, brown sugar and marshmallows, mix in apple or orange juice and season with cinnamon, Ferroli says.
"It's not the same, but you've got a healthier version there," she says.
Or, if you want to try something completely different, just roast those yams with olive oil and some herbs, Dean recommends.
Desserts

If you've really overdone, perhaps you should consider skipping dessert. Whatever you do, don't put off dessert for a few hours after the main meal, advises Clarian's Dean.
Waiting to eat dessert will enable you to eat more of it, she points out. In addition, if you follow your meal closely with dessert, that will help your body stabilize the rush of sugar it receives.
No matter when you eat dessert, you can try some easy substitutions, the cooks and dietitians say.
If you're doing pumpkin pie, you can substitute egg whites for full eggs, evaporated skim milk for its full-fat cousin, and Splenda, now also available in a brown sugar blend, for sugar.
If you don't want to make such drastic changes, use a ginger snap crust for your pumpkin pie, Ferroli recommends. A ginger snap crust tends to be lower in fat and have a tasty crunch.
Or serve an apple crisp with an oatmeal topping to introduce some whole grains, she proposes. To go one step further, you can just bake apples, a seasonal treat.
If you want to lower the fat in cookies, substitute a low-fat cream cheese for half of the butter, Purdue's Behnke suggests. In other words, if a recipe calls for a pound of butter, use 8 ounces of butter and 8 ounces of low-fat cream cheese.
Not only will this lower the fat content -- 2 tablespoons of low-fat cream cheese have 9 grams of fat, compared with 20 grams in 2 tablespoons of butter -- but, more important, it won't interfere with the taste, Behnke says.
Or replace half the fat in baked goods with a fruit puree, such as prunes, Dean says.
Then there are rationalists like Behnke who have another proposal that might sound the most appealing of all.
"If you've lowered the fat and sugar content of the main meal, why don't you enjoy dessert?" he said.
11/15/2010 6:20:02 AM
Rosa Salazar United States
Rosa Salazar
There year want i'm doing is instead of mashed potatoes im using colliflower boil them and a little milk and butter .You would do the same process as if you were making potatoes
11/15/2010 6:31:28 AM
Jessica Faust United States
Jessica Faust
We have lots of favorite recipes for the holidays such as chestnut stuffing and sweet corn that we have frozen over the summer to have that sweet taste at the table during the cold winter months. But one of my favorite things we have included in our holiday meals is waffles! Instead of bread or rolls with the meal, we make homemade waffles. There are many ways to make healthy waffles by using healthier ingredients. And who doesn't love waffles with turkey or change it up and make a pumpkin waffle. The possibilities are endless and when you make homemade, you know exactly what is in them!
11/15/2010 6:31:48 AM
anita n Pensacola fl United States
anita n Pensacola fl
Lisa... duh...God's diet. Sister n law lost 28 #'s n 2 months. Motto.. if God made it eat it... animals..he created. If it grows in the ground, on a vine, or in a tree or bush, enjoy God's creation.
11/15/2010 6:35:08 AM
anita n Pensacola fl United States
anita n Pensacola fl
Lisa..Do God's Diet. Motto if God created it or made it eat it. Animals,vegetables, fruit. Mainly if it grows in the ground, on a bush or in a tree it is good on this diet. Sister n law lost 28 pounds n 2 months.
11/15/2010 7:06:35 AM
April Panknin United States
April Panknin
Lisa, as a nutrition coach I realize people don't know what nutritious is... You are exactly right! We should only be eating those foods that will give our cells LIFE! As Christians that are doing our best to follow the word, we fail miserably in the area of food. I get ask often why I won't let my daughter eat candy/cake? I feel we are a people set apart and for me that includes food. Why do we fail in the food department or in other areas? Lack of knowledge!!! God intended for us to eat what he made, not what man has made food into, which is not nutritious, or food at all.

Lisa, you were right on the money! Congrats on the 18 pounds! Eat food the way God made it and you will obtain your goal of not just losing weight, but being healthy.

My second point is that all of our celebrations revolve around gluttony. Why? We don't think about it... everybody does it... and usually feels guilty about it. We do this in the name of celebration. I encourage listeners this year to celebrate life, with life giving foods!!

My dinner plans for my family...

I am going to serve them a 3 course meal like they are at a restaurant.

1st course - Greens/romaine salad with preferred veggies and homemade dressing. Olive oil, sea salt, pepper, raw apple cider vinegar.

*Starting out with greens will fill you up and nourish your body Smile

Main Course

Turkey-Organic, nitrate free.

Green Beans - Made the way God made them, lightly steamed, which ensures they still contain life producing enzymes.

Mashed Potatoes - Equal parts potato, cauliflower, and yucca root. Cut pieces and lightly steam. Mix in almond milk and sea salt and pepper.

*For proper digestion we should not mix grains and meat, which almost nobody knows!

Dessert (after at least an hour to digest, as you should always eat fruit alone)

During this hour we will talk as a family about things we are thankful for and praise God!

Cranberry Smoothie/Icey - Cranberries, Ice, coconut milk, Stevia (natural sweeter, not an artificial toxic man made chemical!) and RAW UNFILTERED honey to taste.

My focus in nutrition is with Christians. With out our health how can we effectively tell others about God! We need to get stronger as a people! Not only spiritually, but physically as well!

Good Luck to all on their mission to create healthier meals! Remember, eat as God mad our food, not processed and raw/fresh whenever possible!

I will stop now, lol. Lisa as I type this you talk about your DNA and empathy. Im there! It pains me to see others sick because satan has strong influence when it comes to food and the media! People that make food don't car about our health, they care about making money. Even when people think they are doing the "right" thing, it's often still wrong. I have learned these truths and I want others to know them too!!

I will answer questions!!

apanknin@nutritioncoachnetwork.com

Thanks for reading!!

11/15/2010 9:07:55 AM
jennifer United States
jennifer
i also love faux mashed potatoes i.e. mashed cauliflower; cook and mash them then put them in a blender with just a little skim milk (can't use as much as with potatoes, they get soupy), butter, salt, pepper, sour cream, cheese... whatever you would put on white potatoes; i also love mashed sweet potatoes; either is a great substitute for white potatoes which offer little nutrition
11/15/2010 12:56:13 PM
Alyssa United States
Alyssa
Lisa! I heard you talking about this while I was getting ready for work this morning, and I got so excited because I actually had some input, lol!
I strongly encourage you to go to www.hungry-girl.com and subscribe! This girl is a genius when it comes to turning unhealthy foods into guilt-free gifts, I love it. There's even a whole page devoted to Thanksgiving with 9 recipe makeovers and a link that takes you to a few more.
www.hungry-girl.com/.../biteoutdetails.php
That's the Thanksgiving page, and you can search for specific recipes in the search bar at the top, too. I hope you find some good ones to try and I hope you like them as much as I do!
11/15/2010 1:32:01 PM
Christa United States
Christa
A great way to use up that leftover turkey from Thanksgiving!

Turkey Salad

2 cups turkey breast cubed or shredded
1/2 cup polain nonfat yogurt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped fine
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning

place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well. Salad is now ready to be gobbled up.

Serving  (6).
Per serving 130 claories, 21 grams protein, 4 grams fat, 3 grams carbohdrate, 0 grams fiber.
Serve over a bed of baby spinach or rolled up in a romaine lettuce leaf wrapper as a turkey salad roll up
11/15/2010 2:39:14 PM
Melanie Hutti United States
Melanie Hutti
I was listening to Lisa talk about Emily's comment this morning on the way to the doctor to receive news about abnormal blood work. I was worried about cancer,etc, but the adrenal fatigue she discussed resonated with me. I have had no answers for my debilitating fatigue for years.  When I got to the office...imagine this...adrenal problems! I was comforted,prepared, and blessed with some answers.  God is awesome!
11/15/2010 3:14:19 PM
Anne United States
Anne
We have roasted asparagus every Thanksgiving and it's very healthy.  Cook in a low oven (300 degrees) with olive oil and spices (we use lots of garlic, dill, pepper, lemon & seasoned salt).  Stir every 15 minutes or so until it's cooked through - test with a fork.  It takes about 45 minutes to an hour.  Absolutely delicious and any vegetables can be cooked this way.
11/15/2010 3:36:38 PM
Emily Phillips United States
Emily Phillips
To Melanie: I am glad that you got an answer to your fatique.  It brought me to tears reading it now because I never thought that God would use my condition to bring awareness to others. I am going to create a blog.  This really has encouraged me to do something positive out of Adrenal Fatique.
11/16/2010 5:08:20 AM
Julie Holm United States
Julie Holm
My thanksgiving tip comes from dads heart problems and my diabetis. Dad was on a salt restricted diet and I am on a sugar and salt restricted diet. We have made sugar free jello mixed with frozen or fresh fruit or in  pinch canned in light syrup rinced. One of the best desserts is fat free sherbert floating in diet fruit flavored soda.
11/16/2010 5:31:09 AM
Loran Bolding United States
Loran Bolding
Hey Ya'll,

Ok first you definately want to try and eat and be healthy now more than ever. From the food you eat, to vitamins and exercise. I use to be addicted to sugar until my daughter was born then it became a sensitivity to sugar (i call it a sugar hangover if I consume it I have all the backlash as a regular hangover without the toilet LOL ) Your body chemistry can changed anytime. Eating healthier now will save you Eckards drug store later. It will save you time and money in the future. My husband doesn't like it but I have changed our weekly menus to healthier eating.
11/16/2010 5:33:49 AM
Beth United States
Beth
Lisa,  I love your new way of thinking about healthy eating and taking care of ourselves. Our bodies our temples of the HOly Spirit and we are to honor our bodies to God.  God created us to be healthy and energetic!!  What we put in our bodies is very important, does that mean that you can't have pumpkin pie..no, but we as followers of Christ need to be more aware of how we take care of ourselves.  I believe that most of our health problems are due to a poor diet and lack of exercise!!  We are to be different than the world, so that they will want Jesus!!
Way to go Lisa!!
11/16/2010 6:09:06 AM
Valerie Oliver United States
Valerie Oliver
Not only is my thanksgiving going to be healthy, it will be economical..... Smile ..... we are having a venison roast instead of turkey.  My husband hunts, so you can't get any healthier than a deer that has been injested with a healthy dose of nature instead of hormones.... Sorry Scott....I am for healthy (AND CHEAP).
Valerie
11/16/2010 6:11:07 AM
Valerie Oliver United States
Valerie Oliver
Sorry.....Eric not Scott... hehe
11/16/2010 6:12:40 AM
Tracy United States
Tracy
read Fit for my King by Sherri Rose Shepard Eric....lol, it puts a WHOLE new spin on your way of thinking.  Im not there YET but Im working on a healthier MORE GODLY lifestyle AS WE SPEAK!!!!  LOVE LOVE LOVE YA'LL!!!!  You are a blessing to me and my family everyday we turn you on!!!!  Thanks and keep the great ideas coming!!!!
11/16/2010 6:16:14 AM
Mandy United States
Mandy
We are in charge of pies for our family feast.  Besides the traditional pumpkin and a lowfat chocolate cream pie, I always include a pumpin pie without the crust!  It is super easy.  Make your pie filling and pour in pie pan without crust.  Takes the same time to cook.  And, you won't miss the crust and extra fat!
11/16/2010 6:16:16 AM
Teri United States
Teri
I hate to do this and sound picky or trite, but I want to correct you.  As the wife of an American farmer I want to inform you that free range turkeys are not healthier than any other turkey. They are a fad, they are more expensive to raise and they are promoted by those who would put so many regulations on farmers that they will go out of business.  Free range is a fine choice, which can make us feel good that we are not caging these animals? However they are more susceptible to predators, illness and stress and agaian promoted by rather "anti farmer" groups.  The injections they receive are to make them healthier and do not transfer to the meat.
11/16/2010 6:44:52 AM
Bonnie Graves United States
Bonnie Graves
Here is a healthy punkin pie recipe:

Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Weight Watcher POINTS® Value: 3
Servings: 8
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 65 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Our take on this Thanksgiving classic features a light graham cracker crust.The filling's custardy and rich, with just a hint of spice.

Ingredients
3 oz reduced-fat cinnamon graham crackers, about 5 1/2 sheets
1 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 large egg white(s)
1 large egg(s)
1/2 cup(s) dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp table salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, or less to taste
1 cup(s) canned pumpkin
1/2 cup(s) fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 cup(s) lite whipped topping

Instructions
1. Position rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Place graham crackers and light brown sugar in a food processor; process into crumbs (or smash into crumbs in a sealed plastic food bag with a rolling pin). Spoon crumbs into a small bowl; add melted butter and combine with fingers into a coarse meal. Distribute crumbs evenly on bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-inch pie plate. Chill for 30 minutes before baking. Bake until crust starts to turn golden, about 8 to 10 minutes; remove from oven and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip egg whites until frothy; fold in egg, dark brown sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, canned pumpkin and evaporated milk. Beat pumpkin custard until smooth and pour into pie shell. Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces, top each piece with 1/2 tablespoon of whipped topping and serve warm or at room temperature. Yields 1 slice per serving.
11/16/2010 6:46:23 AM
Chad United States
Chad
****WARNING******** DEEP FRYING A TURKEY IN DANGEROUS. SOME TIPS TO HELP YOU NOT BURN DOWN YOUR HOME. 1. MAKE SURE THE TURKEY IS FULLY THAWED. (IF NOT THE OIL WILL OVERFLOW)2. CHECK THE OIL DEPTH BEFORE THE OIL IS HOT. STICK THE TURKEY IN BEFORE YOU HEAT THE OIL.3. THE GREASE SHOULD BE AT 325 DEGREES...4. THE TURKEY NEEDS 6 MINUTES PER POUND5. THE TURKEY WILL TASTE BEST COOKED IN PEANUT OIL
11/16/2010 7:08:44 AM
Tracy United States
Tracy
OH!  God just gave me something!!!  Ya know, one reason we think eating healthy tastes so "bad" is because we have become desensitized against good, healthy food!!  All of the junk, preprocessed, frozen, artificial stuff instead of fresh grown natural GOD GIVEN FOOD!!!  Fast food has become to easy for us but easy isnt always better.  GOD BLESS!
11/16/2010 2:54:57 PM
Ginna United States
Ginna
This really isn't a recipe, but a healthy substitute for sugar, which is honey.  It's delicious, and actually extremely good for you.
11/16/2010 2:59:53 PM
The Fisher family United States
The Fisher family

This is the yummiest lighter version of Pumpkin pie that I have ever eaten.  It would make even the biggest doubter (ERIC) change his/her mind.

Pumpkin Chiffon Torte

Crust:
20 Ginger Snaps
1 tablespoon of Fat-Free Margarine

Filling:
1/2 cup skim milk
2 packages unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup sugar
1 can of pumpkin
1 container of light cool whip
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves

Chop gingersnaps with food chopper.  Combine gingersnaps with fat-free margarine. This is your crust, press mixture onto bottom of springform pan: set aside.
Microwave milk in microwave safe bowl until 180 f.  Whisk in gelatin; whisk until dissolved; whisk in sugar.  Add remaining ingredients; whisk until smooth.  Pour
filling into Springform pan.  Refrigerate 25- 30 minutes or until set.

Note:  This seems hard but it is not  hard at all.  God Bless Your Thanksgiving.

The Fisher Family
11/16/2010 4:12:06 PM
megan coleman United States
megan coleman
www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/e642/
hey lisa! here is an awesome alternative to the thanksgiving day feast. haha!
meg
11/16/2010 6:53:21 PM
Nicole United States
Nicole
Lisa & Eric I have to tell you about the Sneaky Chef! Her name is Missy Chase Lapine & she has several books out there about how to "sneak in nutrition". Yes, I said sneak & yes it does work.

In her book, Sneaky Chef to the Rescue, she shares recipes in chapter 5 called the Sneaky Chef Celebrates. She covers recipes from all year around including Thanksgiving: like: Garlic Mashes Potatoes, Sneaky Gravy, Holiday Green Bean Casserole & more!!

The recipes work. I have made recipes on both kids & adults and they come back for more. I have had sweet potatoes in pancakes, spinach (yes spinach!) & blueberries in brownies & more!

Check it out:

PS...she has free recipes on her website Smile
11/17/2010 4:12:53 AM
Sean Miller United States
Sean Miller
Here is the menu:

Appetizer:
Fresh cheese with vegetables and crackers

Dinner:
Roasted Turkey (all-natural turkey, herb rubbed) with vegetables (root vegetables and onions)
Turkey gravy
Cranberry sauce (organic, whole-berry!)
Cauliflower bake (pureed and baked with butter and cheddar cheese topping)
Meatballs (pasture-raised Baldwin farms beef with tomato/onion sauce)
Rice with clarified butter
Lima Beans AND/OR Southern-style Kale

Dessert:
Spiced apples (a variety of local NC apples and organic grannies with fresh-ground spices and fresh ginger)
with vanilla bean ice cream (organic)
11/17/2010 5:42:02 AM
Steve Brown United States
Steve Brown
One easy way to cut the Thanksgiving feast without cutting the flavor is to reduce the amount of sugar in your baked goods.  Most cookies taste just a good, sometimes even better, with 1/2 to 2/3rds of the sugar the recipe calls for.  Pumpkin breads, scones, and any other baked goods are the same.  You need to experiment a little, but it will help.
One other thing that I do is add wheat germ and/or soy protein to the flour in many of my recipes.  Great nutrients without a change in flavor.
11/17/2010 7:25:30 AM
Paula Baldwin United States
Paula Baldwin
Check out www.eatclean.com by Tasha Reno.  She has several cookbooks  that have lots of GREAT recipes in it.  It is all holesome unprocessed recipes.
11/17/2010 10:04:30 AM
Jackie Brock United States
Jackie Brock
Cooking Light has some great ideas for a healthy Thanksgiving!

www.cookinglight.com/.../
11/17/2010 10:06:11 AM
Barbara Augsdorfer United States
Barbara Augsdorfer
Don't forget the pre-dinner snacking! A veggie tray with ranch dip is healthy and easy to make. Use fat-free sour cream for the dip and also have a selection of whole-wheat crackers available instead of salt-laden chips. I've also made onion dip from scratch: to nonfat sour cream, add chopped sweet onions, original Mrs. Dash and finely chopped red and/or green peppers to add holiday color to the dip. YUMMY!!

P.S. Lisa and Eric totally make me laugh during my morning drive!
11/18/2010 8:53:11 PM
sharon United States
sharon
I heard about a recipe for acorn squash soup on your show the other day, and that you had a link to the recipe, but can't find it anywhere.  Can you help me??
11/22/2010 10:21:47 AM
Karen Green United States
Karen Green
Lisa, I'm with the healthy people and GOD just blessed my child and I with a $100 gift certificate to Farm Fresh from a class at our church and if there are NO turkeys left w/o being free of hormones, perservatives, or antibiotics, then I'm buying a organic Roaster chicken they have thereSmile GOD has been speaking to me about health too and I changed our diets after I saw what her Drs. putting her on ADD meds was doing. I've been on LTDisability since May 08' I've learned how to wean her off w/o her Dr who wouldn't help me and GOD showed me how. She also wasn't getting consistency with some of her behavior me, and some of her teachers and me making them listen either, which isn't easy to admitSmile GOD helped me and is Protecting US, and Delivering us from ALL evil for WE pray day and night on this. Organic is best and exspensive, but GOD has shown me thru prayer WE can find the stuff to eat healthy. Almond milk is good mixed with fruit,flax seed, nuts, organic is best and so is Organic yogurt,Coconut milk, eggs, etc. OUR Farm Fresh is carrying more and more organic since I've been praying and talking to who GOD leads me to the right people and placesSmile Many times it's for more than just healthy food, it's to PRAISe GOD and lift up HIS Holy Name. Lisa, I tried using Raw Honey or Organic sugar and boiled down some pineapple and fresh cranberries and yummmm my Dau and I just loved it in the place of the canned kind. You can use oranges too.
May ALL of K-Love and GOD's people have a VERY Fantabulous Thanksgiving. In Christ Love, The Green Girls
1/19/2011 4:34:21 PM
Charlie Egypt
Charlie
Love your blog, I'm going to subscribe! Good to see more people writing about this subject.
3/3/2011 11:05:41 PM
catering United States
catering
I like your idea of putting those recipe on your article.No wonder you have a yummy and healthy thanksgiving.Keep more interesting publications.