Nov 17 2010

Wow, God Used a Shoe Box to Change Everything!

This is the collection week for Operation Christmas Child - shoe boxes packed by people like you with gifts for children who will otherwise not receive anything for Christmas.  Changing a life with a simple shoe box.  Do you have a story of how you have seen God work through a shoe box?

11/17/2010 6:34:14 AM
Sheila Sanchez United States
Sheila Sanchez
Our church for the last 5 years or so has done the shoeboxes as a church project. Each year the number of boxes increases. This year we are also having a Chili lunch fundraiser to raise money to help with the shipping.
Each month I set aside $20-$30 dollars and shop at the dollar store so by November I have bags and bags of things to bring. It is so much fun. My son has a charity savings and does a bit of shopping as well.
11/17/2010 6:57:00 AM
Nancy United States
Nancy
It is so neat to see God working! This morning before we left the house, my 3 yr old grandson found the bag of gifts I just bought for a Shoebox gift for "a little guy". He was looking at the gifts and we had quite a conversation about how a little guy just like him, didn't have socks, a toothbrush, a ball or other toys, etc. and we were sending these to him. He thought maybe he could go play with him at his house.Smile I started the car and buckled my 3-yr old grandson in before running back in the house for my purse. When I got in the car, he said, "listen Grammy". Tuned to KLOVE, of course, he was listening to your phone conversation with a 6-yr old girl explaining the shoebox gift she was preparing. Talk about God-timing! It is so good for these little people to learn what it is like to give when we are so blessed. Thanks for your show, even this 3-yr old was listening!
11/17/2010 7:40:03 AM
AndrewP Canada
AndrewP
That little Cadence made me cry...and I'm at work!!!
SO SWEET!
11/17/2010 12:15:27 PM
Sandy Todt United States
Sandy Todt
In Baldwinsville, NY, Lamson Road Community Church had our christmas shoebox packing night.  We are a drop off for the boxes this year in our community.  Our church put together 86 boxes this year.  It is so much fun to fill these boxes and know that somewhere children less fortunate will have a brighter day.  Just wanted to share from Baldwinsville, NY.
11/17/2010 1:48:38 PM
Megan Weeks United States
Megan Weeks
Our son last year was "paid it forward" by a dear neighbor with $300 from a local TV station. As soon as our son received the money he decided he wanted to fill as many shoe boxes as possible. He was able to fill 30 shoe boxes with the money.
     In September this year he decided he wanted to increase his goal to fill 40 shoe boxes.  He started calling friends and family asking for donations and he told us "With God all things are possible". Very quickly he had received $1100 from generous donations. He has filled 58 shoe boxes and has received enough in donations to also pay for shipping on 45!!!  It has been so neat to see God at work. He has also encouraged his school to pack boxes. And they have filled 86 shoe boxes as of today. And lastly he was able to speak to the employees at his Dad's work and they have filled 26 shoe boxes.   It is amazing to see what God will do through one little boy.
To us this is a WOW God moment!
11/18/2010 1:45:40 PM
Diane Smith United States
Diane Smith
As a family and as a church we have filled shoe boxes for years. The significance of it didn't completely hit until after we adopted 3 older kids from an orphanage in Ethiopia five years ago. That year, when I told them about how we did this and what it was for, the youngest excitedly said to me, "I remember receiving these boxes at the orphanage," and then she added, "but there weren't enough boxes for all the kids so the sisters divided them up."
It still gives me chills when I think of that day and it made me want to fill even more boxes so more kids can be blessed.
11/19/2010 8:08:01 AM
Jennifer Garrard United States
Jennifer Garrard
For our church group, Clarkson Baptist Church in Clarkson, Mississippi, we did 5 boxes for a total of 69 boxes! In my son's class at school they got together a total of 8 boxes! Doing the Christmas Shoe Boxes has taught my son & his class a valuable life lesson that it's important to give to others...that it's not all about them! I pray that all of our boxes reach children & really touch their lives! God is good! ALL the time!
11/19/2010 4:57:18 PM
Hope United States
Hope
this is such a great idea! i got all the kids in my home-school class to make shoe-boxes!!!!!! Smile
11/21/2010 5:42:03 PM
rachel rose United States
rachel rose
i was listing to the mourning show and herd of this and now i will be doing my part and donating i love this idea i know this will help those less fortunate then us God is good and we shall do his will!!!

Love rachel Rose 12 years old
11/29/2010 8:12:01 PM
Laurie Elliott United States
Laurie Elliott
I tried calling in the day you guys were talking about this - someone suggested we send a photo along in our box.  I have a girl Scout troop and we do two boxes every year and we always send a picture of our troop with a handmade card signed by all the girls.  I can just picture the face of the little girl who opens her box and sees all her new girls friends who care about her and pray for her a world away!